Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (2365) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3734179 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2362) (2363) (2364) (2365) (2366) (2367) (2368) ... (3830) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 6:26pm On Dec 07, 2020
Jaccsmith5:

How about wonder woman, so excited for the movie to be released, when will it be released
December 25, I don’t know when it will show in Nigeria though

Update: I just saw this now

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Josbreed: 7:18pm On Dec 07, 2020
johnyace:
TENET
My rating 7/10
I feel like Nolan had a great concept but used the wrong story to tell it, Nevertheless it was Worth 2 hours and 30 minutes of my life
Spoiler
Who else noticed that Robert was the woman's son

Which woman's son?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by introvertme: 7:43pm On Dec 07, 2020
Big short 8/10

It had this spotlight movie vibe, probably because its a true story.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Josbreed: 7:45pm On Dec 07, 2020
Gmajor:
Citation (2020)
Citation is a 2020 film that was directed by Kunle Afolayan which tells the story of a young girl who reports a predatory lecturer to the university and the ensuing hearing that takes place.
First the things I liked about the movie.
1. Cinematography: the movie was competently shot. It didn’t contain too many bad or distracting shots so I have no complaints there.
2. Extras: The movie had a lot of extra and I appreciate that they went the extra mile to infuse a layer of realism into the movie.
3. Fight scene: The taekwondo fight scene was really good. I was really shocked by quality of the fight. It was well choreographed and the actors involved in the fight really knew what they were doing. Hopefully, we’ll be seeing more action movies from this director.
4. Location: the movie takes place mainly in a university and they made good use of the school setting to bring the story to life. Part of it was also shot abroad so it would seem that went all out.
5. Crateful use of language: I love how this movie masterfully wove between English, French and Yoruba. It felt very organic and natural.
6. Acting: The man who plays the Prof. Lucien has stared in some Hollywood movies so I wouldn’t have expected less. Temi Otedola also tried in her first Nollywood role. Her acting was good most of the time, though her emoting was off in some places, however, I don’t see it negatively affecting anyone’s viewing experience.
Ini Edo is a veteran actress, but is it that she has forgotten how to act or that this role wasn’t good for her? Because her acting in this movie was mostly bad.
7. The twins: they were super cute and quite likeable. Though the shift from a very serious tone to a comedic one when these two came along was quite jarring.
Things I didn’t like.
I could write a 3000 word easy on all the things I didn’t like about this movie. But for brevity sake, I will just try and pen just a few of them down.
1. Pacing: the gravest crime this movie commits is its atrocious pacing. This movie is 2 and half hours long but it feels like it’s about 7 hours long. Shot linger for an necessarily long amount time and some scenes go on forever. The movie is so long so it was quite infuriating that the screen time was further padded with bullshit that added nothing to the overall story? Watching this movie was very exhausting. At the end of the movie I was relived- not because Moreni had won her case but because the director has final put me out of my misery. This movie had no right to be 152 minutes long. One hour could have been trimmed from this movie without affecting the story in any way. The taekwondo scene I loved so much, the sex for marks incident at the beginning of the movie, Seun Kuti’s performance and many other incidents should have not made the final cut.
2. Time jump as a narrative device: jumping between the present and the events that led to the present day is nothing new in storytelling. One of my favourite movies – The Social Network employs this narrative device in a similar way by jumping from before Facebook was founded to a hearing after Facebook has been established. However, a lot of the time jumps in this movie are very confusing, and you’ll be left scratching you head as to the time period the scene you’re watching took place.
Also, in the social network, even though you know that Mark is being sued by a bunch of people including his close friend, you’ll be eager to know how they got to this very situation (the hearing). On the other hand, from the very beginning of the Citation I already had a good guess of how things will go.
3. Dialogue: a lot of the lines really came out weird. In some cases, the dialogues flows naturally, whereas, there are a lot of cases where the dialogue is really bad. Like, Real people don’t talk like this.
4. Not-very-smart lead: even though Moreni is presented as a very smart girl, there are some decisions that she made that left me scratching my head. This includes not putting more distance between her supervisor and herself, letting a random boy she just met lead her to God-knows-where in a country she has never been to before, brandishing her diarrhoea stained pants during the hearing etc.
There is naive and then there is dumb
5. Editing: maybe I should have moved the time jump stuff here, anyway this movie has plenty instances of bad editing. Apart from the poorly convened time jump and the scenes and shot that linger for way too long. There is also a choice that was made in this movie that I can’t quite wrap my head around. When Moremi went to Senegal to find a man that would help her with her with her case, the scene repeatedly cuts from her boyfriend fighting in a dojo to her searching for the man. I have no idea why these two scene was juxtaposed with one another. There was no relationship- thematic, or otherwise between the two incidents so why are you directly cutting from one to the other?
6. Etc:
a. An eyesore disguised as a wig: the wig that Prof. Lucian wore was not only extremely ugly but utterly unnecessary. Even if the director didn’t want him to be bald, at least they could have done a better job with the wig. It was so annoying to look at.
b. Annoying beret girl on the panel: I thoroughly hated this character. Come to think of it, in a real life situation will a student representative be allowed on the panel? Who know?
c. Audio: the audio during Seun kuti’s performance was bad. I don’t know if it was on propose or that the mic on set were bad and for some reason they didn’t fix it post, but anyway it wasn’t good.

In summary, this movie is very pretentious. The dialogue is pretentious and the artistic choices that were made were pretentious. The movie has zero suspense and it plays out exactly like you would expect. The movie is slow and tedious and I don’t see myself watching it more than once.
If this movie was 90-110 minutes long, I would have given it a rating of 5/10 but because this lasted forever, I’ll be giving it a rating of 4/10.

This is a spoiler.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 8:03pm On Dec 07, 2020
Josbreed:

This is a spoiler.
Most people here have seen the movie before he made that post, sorry if it spoiled it for you. Next time skip long post like that
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:15pm On Dec 07, 2020
Nickshrapnel:
December 25, I don’t know when it will show in Nigeria though

Update: I just saw this now
it will be released on HBO Max that same day.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles100: 9:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
newguy1:
yes I know was telling a friend yesterday. Nolan over conceptualized the movie too much even with time travel u can’t be bending it anyhow like that n there was a point where it was said that if a time traveler meets him self it will b bad which actually happen like twice n nothing did happen

Meeting and recognizing yourself are to different things.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2020
Sharon 1,2,3(2018)

Genre: Romance-comedy

7.5/10.

Hilarious movie!

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 07, 2020
Josbreed:

Which woman's son?

The arm's dealer's wife
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by UnBanEbenezer(f): 11:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
nani667:
After seeing Logan I had the urge to rewatch the Classics... After the hopelessness I saw I need to see some Prime Wolverine wink
same here bro, currently watching all it's sequels.
Hugh Jackman is the best.
What app are you using? those files are way too large ni
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by UnBanEbenezer(f): 11:51pm On Dec 07, 2020
sajmark:

a Masterpiece in 2020? hmmmm...
by the way another low budget movie just came in.
why Scott Adkins dey like feature for low Budget movies?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by UnBanEbenezer(f): 11:58pm On Dec 07, 2020
Tolu121:
rubbish movie
nor be only you bro. I hate this movie gan
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 12:01am On Dec 08, 2020
oyaskii:
it will be released on HBO Max that same day.

Starting with Wonder Woman this month, every Warner Bros movie in 2021 is going straight to HBO Max on the same they hit theaters...

Even the big ones like Godzilla vs Kong, Matrix 4, Dune...WB's entire 2021 slate
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 7:03am On Dec 08, 2020
BlackManta:

Starting with Wonder Woman this month, every Warner Bros movie in 2021 is going straight to HBO Max on the same they hit theaters...

Even the big ones like Godzilla vs Kong, Matrix 4, Dune...WB's entire 2021 slate
Yup...good move imo, it will be a good strategy to recover all the funds they lost due to Covid this year. So countries where Covid restrictions have eased up can see the movies at the cinema why those still grappling with the pandemic can get it on VOD.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Trulymovie: 7:05am On Dec 08, 2020
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 7:18am On Dec 08, 2020
Raalsalghul:
So many comments on the complex plot of Tenet.

Can someone suggest a book, article, writeup that'll make the film's plot easier to understand?

Maybe I'll judge the film based on its action scenes alone.

So much going on in my life right now: no time to dey analyze film.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube that explain the movie, though I'm yet to watch it myself cos I'm busy for now.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sajmark(m): 7:46am On Dec 08, 2020
UnBanEbenezer:
why Scott Adkins dey like feature for low Budget movies?
take away his martial arts skills and he's just an average actor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 08, 2020
Take away Jackie Chan martial arts skills too and same could be said for him yet he is a legend in the industry.

Don't trivialise his peculiar skill set like everyone could do what he does.
sajmark:

take away his martial arts skills and he's just an average actor.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 8:31am On Dec 08, 2020
Gmajor:

There are a lot of videos on YouTube that explain the movie, though I'm yet to watch it myself cos I'm busy for now.

I know, but I want something that'll explain the concept without mentioning the film's plot or giving away spoilers.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 9:01am On Dec 08, 2020
Raalsalghul:

I know, but I want something that'll explain the concept without mentioning the film's plot or giving away spoilers.

Haven't you seen the movie?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 9:25am On Dec 08, 2020
Gmajor:

Haven't you seen the movie?

Nope, I haven't.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by iamJ(m): 9:41am On Dec 08, 2020
sajmark:
honest thief 2020... 5.5/10
This guy is slowly becoming the new Nicolas cage
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 9:49am On Dec 08, 2020
Terminator (Dark Fate): 3/4 stars.

Rightly said to be the third best in the series with loads of action and emotional depth although the plot leaves something to be desired.

This entry is very reminiscent of Judgement Day especially the third act.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 11:03am On Dec 08, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Nope, I haven't.

I would advice you to watch the movie first.
It will be difficult to find an explanation that doesn't contain some form of spoilers
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 11:57am On Dec 08, 2020
Gmajor:

I would advice you to watch the movie first.
It will be difficult to find an explanation that doesn't contain some form of spoilers

Alright.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2020
The Maze Runner part one.

3/4
The only part of the trilogy worth a rewatch anytime anyday and twice on a Tuesday.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sajmark(m): 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2020
alexistaiwo:
Take away Jackie Chan martial arts skills too and same could be said for him yet he is a legend in the industry.

I get your point and I acknowledge that Scott Adkins is unique in his own way but Jackie Chan is a far better actor than Scott Adkins, with or without martial arts.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 08, 2020
Jackie Chan can't act shiit.

Go and rewatch his movies as an adult and see how bland his portrayal of emotions are.

He was just lucky to have his break at a time where there were no competitions.

He is only respected because he performs his own stunts.
sajmark:

I get your point and I acknowledge that Scott Adkins is unique in his own way but Jackie Chan is a far better actor than Scott Adkins, with or without martial arts.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sajmark(m): 2:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
alexistaiwo:
Jackie Chan can't act shiit.

Go and rewatch his movies as an adult and see how bland his portrayal of emotions are.

He was just lucky to have his break at a time where there were no competitions.

He is only respected because he performs his own stunts.
I never said Jackie Chan was a great actor, I said he was far better than Scott Adkins and I'm not taking it back anytime soon. Jackie Chan is a comedian, and no matter how bad his acting is he manages to make his audience laugh. Take away martial arts and Jackie Chan would be the Chinese version of Kevin Hart, while Scott Adkins would just be an extra in movies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 4:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
On Twitter most people said Jaden can't act shiii, is this movie worth watching?

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by adaphic: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2020
DieRich5:
netnaija . com gt am...........

Thanks a lot.
Already got it.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by VerifiedStalin: 5:01pm On Dec 08, 2020
alexistaiwo:

Jackie Chan is a comedian. You don't need to be a good actor to make people laugh. In fact, best comedians are over-the-top.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2362) (2363) (2364) (2365) (2366) (2367) (2368) ... (3830) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: joseph1832(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.