Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,252 members, 7,818,873 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South (25738 Views)

Saraki:To Hell With Morality, Senate Tells Nigerians / Reward Amaechi For His Courageous Support, North Tells Buhari / IMF To FG : Dont Waste Your Oil Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by ogb5(m): 8:20pm On Aug 04, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

19 state of the north got less than  6 state of the south south in may.

40 million Yorubas get N14,560 billion  while river state get N15,097Billion in may, Including kwara state.

Igbos got  10,431 compare that to balyesa state with very very few people of  N8,055Billion

This can not continue. What i purpose is a constitution amendment to allow other state, mostly the northern state  to balance up the financial gap created by derivation. By changing the constitution to allow state to collect taxes ,  the follow taxes directly not through the federal inland board(NOWAY), but through their own state tax board system.  

1 personnal  taxes,
2 Education Tax,
3 . companies income tax,
4 . Value Added Tax,
5 import and excise fees
6  Customs Special levies
7  the FIRS PAYE
8. PTF

This way the north and other state can make up for the wide disparity in revenue. If not in 4 or  5 years the 19 northern state would go into bankruptcy.

http://.com

What you are asking for will even reduce the revenue of the north. these levies are currently being collected mostly from the south and shared with the north, so if you say states should collect and keep these levies, who will the north collect levies from, from cattle rearers and Gworro sellers? you must be joking. If the the north want to get money, they have to sit up and earn it.

The north has always been bankrupt. so don't talk of being bankrupt in 4 yrs time. where a region with about 50% of the population generate less than 7% of the nation revenue, how do you call that.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 8:21pm On Aug 04, 2008
[size=16pt]Northerners are Moochers!!!! Stop mooching on the south and work for a living for once.[/size]

Funmi is fuming.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Uche2nna(m): 8:22pm On Aug 04, 2008
ogb5:

What you are asking for will even reduce the revenue of the north. these levies are currently being collected mostly from the south and shared with the north, so if you say states should collect and keep these levies, who will the north collect levies from, from cattle rearers and Gworro sellers? you must be joking. If the the north want to get money, they have to sit up and earn it.

The north has always been bankrupt. so don't talk of being bankrupt in 4 years time. where a region with about 50% of the population generate less than 7% of the nation revenue, how do you call that.

I have a problem believing that statistics
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by ogb5(m): 8:27pm On Aug 04, 2008
Uche2nna:

I have a problem believing that statistics

better believe it.

85% of the nations revenue comes form oil. The north does not provide more than 7% of the remaining 15% or you think they provide 10% of the nations income?
The question is what % of the nation revenue do the north consume? even if you say they provide all the non oil revenue.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by WilyWily: 8:28pm On Aug 04, 2008
blkmum700:

why are the South-south so depend on oil?i think the south-south people are not different from the Al-Qaeda.they are terrorist.Where are this Millitant during the biafran war when Obasanjo save them.
If South South depends on oil, why are Fulani/Hausa/Yoruba ready to commit suicide if oil money is denial them.
Already Yorubas/Fulani/Hausas are Al-Qaeda, that's why they are Terrorising South South people.
Today in this Devil Paradise call Nigeria we have only three Parasites, they are--1=PARASITE YORUBAS, 2=PARASITE HAUSAS and 3=PARASITE FULANIS.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Uche2nna(m): 8:31pm On Aug 04, 2008
@ Ogb

I am not questioning the location where the bulk of the revenue is coming from.

I am questioning the statistics that says the North comprises of half of the nation's populace.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 8:38pm On Aug 04, 2008
[size=16pt]200 Nautical Mile= Ondo,Lagos and Osun states.[/size] grin grin grin
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by ogb5(m): 8:39pm On Aug 04, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ Ogb

I am questioning the statistics that says the North comprises of half of the nation's populace.

Maybe we should ask the Aboki that was in charge of the last census. he might be able to give the population figures before it was inflated and deflated
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by keba(m): 8:44pm On Aug 04, 2008
Uche2nna:

@ Ogb

yes ooh, ogb pls tell us
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nigeria17: 8:46pm On Aug 04, 2008
i
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Uche2nna(m): 8:47pm On Aug 04, 2008
ogb5:

Maybe we should ask the Aboki that was in charge of the last census. he might be able to give the population figures before it was inflated and deflated

lol
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2008
ogb5:

better believe it.

85% of the nations revenue comes form oil. The north does not provide more than 7% of the remaining 15% or you think they provide 10% of the nations income?
The question is what % of the nation revenue do the north consume? even if you say they provide all the non oil revenue.

so in essence, aside from oil revenue, the north compromises relatively half of the rest if Nigeria's revenue, (based on your 7% stat) ? I would have to say this is not bad considering all of the ports are also located where else but the south,
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nigeria17: 9:38pm On Aug 04, 2008
I do not know where he got 7% from. The truth is you must ask yourself what did the north generate before oil. Is it 7%, the answer is no. it is not 7% . It was really high.

2. The second question is, why have they stop generating sure a high revenue. The answer is the unitary system put in place by Ironsi to make the north financial slaves to the south.

Look if you remove the unitary system that makes the north depedant on the south, which is you give them back the power to collect their taxes, which was before the unitary system. They would become productive.

Like the example i gave before , when they started VAT Kano use to generate high, but they stop, But now if they know the money is going to their pocket, they would start collecting at a high rate.

Look if the north did it before Ironsi unitary system. The north can still do it again. Given them the power to collect their revenue is the encouragement they need.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Ibime(m): 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2008
Wirinet and Orikinla are definitely making sense. All these people talking about splitting Nigeria. At best, we can split with the Fulanis for matters of religious importance. Niger Delta people never asked to leave Nigeria. They just want true federalism. Each state produces its own wealth, pays taxes to the Federal Government and the Federal Government handles matters of national interest and security. It is a simple case of rewriting the constitution.

The only drawback is that the military could take over the country and illegally change the constitution as has happened so many times. Hence, I suggest we cut off the Hausas cos they are most likely to do so cos they will never accept a constitution based on fiscal federalism.

To quote NaijaKing:

naijaking1:

You can fight for revenue sharing formula all you want, but no formula guarantees justice for all. The best formula is no formula at all. Nigeria revenue should be from bottom up , not from top down. Untill we have a system where one group can have 1 million LGAs if they want, but the catch is that: Every person pays tax to the LGA, the LGA pays to the state, and the states pay to maintain the federal government. A pyramid is more stable when the base is grounded than when the apex is grounded.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nigeria17: 11:23pm On Aug 04, 2008
IBIME , you would agree , that MEND should not cross ondo line to attack the oil field , they should just face thier own part of the oil field. dont you agree. bonga and other field does not belong to them ( on the line above).
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by skfa1: 2:01am On Aug 05, 2008
@ WilyWily

You make no sense at all. Can`t you read other making at least some sense. Na wa for you o. Abeg change fast grin
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by zillaxy: 2:18am On Aug 05, 2008
I am not suprised at your comment. But surely you sound more inteeligent than that Governor Nyarko not minding whether or not he has been a Naval or Airman officer. Most in the The Nigerian Armed forces including officers got to where they are historically because of contacts and connections.

I will let ordinary folks on this forum try to listen to that Governor from Adamawa, you will be shocked. A friend actually calls me yesterday at this Northern Governors meeting on AIT. He should have been speaking his local dialects rather than English. He is pathethic, infact an illiterate and quite frankly a disgrace to Nigeria. If that is your Governor that makes you an idiot for calling southerners idiot

Compare that to Aliyu banbangida, he doesn't speak Queens English but very coherent, intelligent and thoughtful. Although I am not surprised because he went to proper school and got a PHD.

For the North to progress, you need a lot of Aliyu babangida- Niger state Governor.

You will find that your comment is the one that is stupid once you have the opportunity to watch Gov. Nyarko speaks like a drunkard. He is the one with  2 'first ladies' attending diffrent functions.

That smarts isn't it.
Vigasimple,

unfortnately your reply makes me believe (by your own criteria) that you are pathetic, speak like a drunkard and should be speaking your local dialect rather than English. your english in that reply simply cannot be judged by any to be up to standard.

if you knew anything about the armed forces, you would know that no kind of connection would get you to the most senior rank. secondly, Nyako joined the military long before Nigeria succrumbed to the politics of 'i know who'. (At this point i would also like to add that you and everyone in your town only got your jobs because of connections,  see how silly that sounds?)

what, i have to say, i have always found curious about southerners is their belief that one's ability to speak english is somehow a determinant of their ability to govern or even prosper in life (now, that really IS the definition of pathetic).

you speak so highly of the Niger state governor, do you realise that about two months ago he awarded Nyako with the highest award bestowable by a state governor for Nyako's 'outstandable performance as a former governor of Niger state'?

Nyako does not speak english so your 'super-charged, southern intelligent brain' could never comprehend that.  

But remember my friend, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. when you learn that 'very coherent, intelligent and thoughtful' way of speaking english after you attend 'proper school and get a PHD' come back here and critisize.

In the mean time, can you please tell us what makes Nyako a bad governor rather than why his english is such a disgrace to this country?

(by the way, i have heard him speak english several times on TV and other than his very thick fulani accent, it sounded a HELL of a lot better than yours,  no offence meant). not that it was (or would ever be) my criteria for voting in a governor.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by stnonymus(m): 7:31am On Aug 05, 2008
Shuo! No be one Nigeria again.

Splitting this country will only create more problems than we can imagine.Once you start it every village will want to secede since we all seem to have that attitude of self interest.

The Nigerian problem is a "Values & Leadership problem".Until we deal with it on this level, we'll never be free.We have more than enough to go round but we don't share.

Nigeria's population and diversity makes it powerful.We are a huge market for international investors.We have the stats to raise a powerful army.We have enough collective resources to get us attention and leverage in the international market.Our economic potential gives us some influence on the political scene.Split Nigeria and you wont have any of these.At least not on the level that exists now.

We miss the forest for the trees.We need to appreciate the bigger picture.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by xpagnol: 8:49am On Aug 05, 2008
deepzone where are from sef or u dont know ur origin.y wont they talk like dat where their confused so calld president has signd 200, 000 000 000 naira (TWO hundred billion)for their first northern agricultural summit. that is to say that they are the only people feedin nigeria.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by emmydee(m): 9:13am On Aug 05, 2008
@ Nigeria1:

My bros, you're saying d truth. I know too much abut maps. I got a B.Sc. in geography, UNN, about ten yrs ago. So I know all about that stuff. But what am saying is that, the Nigerian situation does not follow straight lines. Nothing in here follows international rules. So Bonga oil field does not belong to Ondo anything. Bakassi may belong to Cameroun but even at that, Nigeria is not supposed to relinquish it without a gun shot! So my bros, I give u kudos for your details but they dont apply in our environment. Thank you.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 9:19am On Aug 05, 2008
You will find that your comment is the one that is stupid once you have the opportunity to watch Gov. Nyarko speaks like a drunkard. He is the one with 2 'first ladies' attending diffrent functions.

Roflmao.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by boyscout: 10:30am On Aug 05, 2008
I do strongly believe that the North should exploit their own resources and be able to develop themselves. The over dependent of Oil in the nation has actually weaken them and their believes. Even their share of the oil revenue has not been utilized judiciously. On the street and towns in the North, the impact of Poverty can be seen first hand.
Despite the excuse that the Northern Elites short changes the Masses, they can but help in carrying the burden that befalls them with the current quest by the Niger Deltans to have a larger control of the resources.
In no small measure, the north will feel the effect of less revenue from the centre (could be short while if they are sincere to themselves) but their is no guarantee that redistribution of the wealth will make Niger Delta any better. As the level of corruption in this nation cuts across all creeds,religion and tribe.
This should be a wake up call for the North. Let your ingenuity take the center stage. With her population (inflated?deflated?) it will surely get to their destined place.
As for the Governors in the North they should go beyond bragging And commit their actions to words. Develop your place.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tulk2mi: 10:54am On Aug 05, 2008
I do believe we are coming nearer the truth, States should be allowed to manage their own resources and pay taxes to the central government and you will see how ingenuity will spring from no where.

Every part of the country is blessed, but over dependence on oil is simply blinding us to this reality

Exactly! this what true federalism is all about.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by gabuu(m): 11:40am On Aug 05, 2008
As usual we are missing the POINT. we as a people are plain LAZY!!! If you all take the pain to look at Nigeria objectively, you will notice that no single unit adequately cater for itself.

The North + Middle Belt
Agreed it is arid, no sign of activity, the industries are comatose, but it is the only region that has the CAPACITY to feed the nation if properly hearnesed.

Western Nigeria
Plenty of activity, especialy economic. Major advantages, the nation's gateway to the world, large pool of human resources etc,. All the colanut produced in the region must go NORTH for it to translate to money. All the products produced in the industries, need a ready market, East Nigeria, North, South-South are ready markets.

East Nigeria
Enterprising people, ability to see oppurtunity where others see challenges. Need to move out because their is just not enough unit space available for all to leave comfortably, beside, the need to stay close to the market is paramount to survival. My NYSC commandant gave me a rule of thumb in surviving in any part of Nigeria: were ever you find yourself, if withing 4 weeks you dont get to see an Igbo guy, please move on,  that place aint wont staying.

South-South
plenty of OIL. THE question is, If OIL caused Nigeria so much pain, what guaranty do they have that it will solved their problem. Be carefull what you wish for, for you might get it,  Dreams do come true!!.

Collectively as a Nation, we need to change our way of thinking!!!

P.S
For some of you guys that are Experts in Personal attacks[/color]: Note,

I am a Northerner, Married to an Igbo lady. I refused to beleive the propaganda our leaders feed us with. We can only make this country great if we look beyond our geographic limitations. [color=#006600]No Single unit of Nigeria can survive [color=#006600]EFFORTLESSLY
withouth the other.[/color][b][/b]
Do have a great day!!
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by slyk2(m): 12:29pm On Aug 05, 2008
a reality thats coming quite early.

make plans for alternatives.

stop the anger, less talk, we want visible actions

but not nollywood style.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Omolulu(m): 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2008
well after all these posts the North would still be "over-over dependent on oil to develop the empty landmass it occupies, Southern leaders should also look to overturn the monopoly enjioyed by the North in the Agric sector by producing in mass quantitiess those products that are suitable with the environment,
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by fredie(f): 1:39pm On Aug 05, 2008
i am particularly offended at the person that said " to hell with their kuli kuli and nama" kulikuli and kilishi are my favourites. say whatever u want about the people but not their food. Please
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by rasputinn(m): 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2008
Hmmmmmmmm,with all the mutual inter-ethnic disdain and hatred I've seen on this thread
I really wonder
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Nigeria17: 2:24pm On Aug 05, 2008
it is not line perpendicular to the coast. it is done base on a compass. You have a compass that have north and south. My father use to sail. so i know how compass work and i was in the boy scout. A compass is a scientific instrument use to determine direction.

What they do is they take a compass and use it determine how it works. that why even why perpendicular BAKASSI look part of nigeria. the world court says no way. If you use the north and south of a compass. Bakassi is in camerron. I am sorry. please find out . read more story. you can have a large coast but own nothing.

If the line is not, then nigeria should hand over all the oilfield offshore of the coast of cross river , akwa ibom, ivers and bayelase to cameroon, because they are all perpendicular to cameroon. zDo you want nigeria to lost all of that oilfield to cameroon, justice should be done to ondo, and return all of the 800,000 barrel of oil per day back to ondo state.   See map.

do you know what a compass look like , here is a picture below.

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Truequest(m): 2:35pm On Aug 05, 2008
zillaxy:

I am not suprised at your comment. But surely you sound more inteeligent than that Governor Nyarko not minding whether or not he has been a Naval or Airman officer. Most in the The Nigerian Armed forces including officers got to where they are historically because of contacts and connections.

I will let ordinary folks on this forum try to listen to that Governor from Adamawa, you will be shocked. A friend actually calls me yesterday at this Northern Governors meeting on AIT. He should have been speaking his local dialects rather than English. He is pathethic, infact an illiterate and quite frankly a disgrace to Nigeria. If that is your Governor that makes you an idiot for calling southerners idiot

Compare that to Aliyu banbangida, he doesn't speak Queens English but very coherent, intelligent and thoughtful. Although I am not surprised because he went to proper school and got a PHD.

For the North to progress, you need a lot of Aliyu babangida- Niger state Governor.

You will find that your comment is the one that is stupid once you have the opportunity to watch Gov. Nyarko speaks like a drunkard. He is the one with  2 'first ladies' attending diffrent functions.

That smarts isn't it.
Vigasimple,

unfortnately your reply makes me believe (by your own criteria) that you are pathetic, speak like a drunkard and should be speaking your local dialect rather than English. your english in that reply simply cannot be judged by any to be up to standard.

if you knew anything about the armed forces, you would know that no kind of connection would get you to the most senior rank. secondly, Nyako joined the military long before Nigeria succrumbed to the politics of 'i know who'. (At this point i would also like to add that you and everyone in your town only got your jobs because of connections,  see how silly that sounds?)

what, i have to say, i have always found curious about southerners is their belief that one's ability to speak english is somehow a determinant of their ability to govern or even prosper in life (now, that really IS the definition of pathetic).

you speak so highly of the Niger state governor, do you realise that about two months ago he awarded Nyako with the highest award bestowable by a state governor for Nyako's 'outstandable performance as a former governor of Niger state'?

Nyako does not speak english so your 'super-charged, southern intelligent brain' could never comprehend that.  

But remember my friend, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. when you learn that 'very coherent, intelligent and thoughtful' way of speaking english after you attend 'proper school and get a PHD' come back here and critisize.

In the mean time, can you please tell us what makes Nyako a bad governor rather than why his english is such a disgrace to this country?

(by the way, i have heard him speak english several times on TV and other than his very thick fulani accent, it sounded a HELL of a lot better than yours,  no offence meant). not that it was (or would ever be) my criteria for voting in a governor.

I honestly appreciate your thought pattern, and that goes to affirm that you are one of the emerging brains in the North. Some of my southern brothers either because of their lack of exposure tend to believe that the definition of intelligence is southern. I can say authoritatively that brilliant minds abound in every corner of this nation. Sadly, because of our pride most of our southern brother are guilty of the same 'sin'.

Mind advice let all us {I mean younger generation} begin to demand our right from our leaders north or south. I can tell you that the size of the revenue is not the issue but prudent management.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by stnonymus(m): 2:51pm On Aug 05, 2008
gabuu:

As usual we are missing the POINT. we as a people are plain LAZY!!! If you all take the pain to look at Nigeria objectively, you will notice that no single unit adequately cater for itself.

The North + Middle Belt
Agreed it is arid, no sign of activity, the industries are comatose, but it is the only region that has the CAPACITY to feed the nation if properly hearnesed.

Western Nigeria
Plenty of activity, especialy economic. Major advantages, the nation's gateway to the world, large pool of human resources etc,. All the colanut produced in the region must go NORTH for it to translate to money. All the products produced in the industries, need a ready market, East Nigeria, North, South-South are ready markets.

East Nigeria
Enterprising people, ability to see oppurtunity where others see challenges. Need to move out because their is just not enough unit space available for all to leave comfortably, beside, the need to stay close to the market is paramount to survival. My NYSC commandant gave me a rule of thumb in surviving in any part of Nigeria: were ever you find yourself, if withing 4 weeks you don't get to see an Igbo guy, please move on, that place aint wont staying.

South-South
plenty of OIL. THE question is, If OIL caused Nigeria so much pain, what guaranty do they have that it will solved their problem. Be carefull what you wish for, for you might get it, Dreams do come true!!.

P.S

I am a Northerner, Married to an Igbo lady. I refused to beleive the propaganda our leaders feed us with. We can only make this country great if we look beyond our geographic limitations. [color=#006600]No Single unit of Nigeria can survive [color=#006600]EFFORTLESSLY
Do have a great day!!

Gabuu, i like your objectivity.No venom in your speech.You're stating the facts.We Nigerians are strong together.We must understand that we citizens have been pawns in this political chess game and are constantly being manipulated by our leaders for their own selfish ends.This North- South controversy is somebody's private war and offers no benefit to Nigeria.We must stop and think before we go fighting wars over a senseless cause.

A constant source of irritation down south is the cry of "Biafra!".Those who scream it don't even have a clue as to what what Biafra stood for and if the Biafra they seek is of any real benefit in this contemporary era.The Ibo traders import goods to sell to Nigeria.What if that Nigeria ceases to exist.Who will they sell to.Ofcourse you can never hear such campaigns of secession from enlightened Ibos.You'll always hear it from the economically disadvantaged.And thats a dangerous group because they lack the ability to interpret the longterm consequences of their actions.

There are cries of secession everywhere.Somebody needs to start enlightening Nigerians or else this will cancer will catch on and we'll have a Rwandan crisis in Nigeria.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Queenisha: 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2008
gabuu:

The North + Middle Belt

Western Nigeria

East Nigeria
Enterprising people, ability to see oppurtunity where others see challenges. Need to move out because their is just not enough unit space available for all to leave comfortably, beside, the need to stay close to the market is paramount to survival. My NYSC commandant gave me a rule of thumb in surviving in any part of Nigeria: were ever you find yourself, if withing 4 weeks you don't get to see an Igbo guy, please move on, that place aint wont staying.

South-South
plenty of OIL. THE question is, If OIL caused Nigeria so much pain, what guaranty do they have that it will solved their problem. Be carefull what you wish for, for you might get it, Dreams do come true!!.

P.S

Do have a great day!!

what a smart and cool headed inlaw!
we always pick the best
The cream of the crop
We don't let our girls just marry any thing that comes in wearing a shokoto
na you biko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Reps Invite Amaechi Others Over Alleged N1trn Rail Contract Scam / Yahaya Bello Lists 110 Achievements In Office Ahead Of Kogi 2019 Election / Shehu Sani Honoured At Abiola's Home In Lagos For His Role In The June 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.