Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63892 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Havana: 11:44am On Dec 31, 2013
It is a matter of choice to either obtain University Certificate or Polytechnic certificate. But what actually hinders many from attending university is either they could not pass JAMB or they are deficient in O'Leve result.

NB: Nobody will desire to attend Poly if he/She can gain admission to University.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by DaBlaze1(m): 11:44am On Dec 31, 2013
What the hell are you guys talking about out here...I used to believe formally that the Nigeria HND is the same as Bsc and the like but it is not...I had an opportunity to work with an HND certificate holder this present year, the director sent him packing after two month of working, the standard is not in him... I want to tell you the guy flops in so many ways, the University education standard could not in anyway be equivalent to any HND...Shun what ever the ratting Wes, this is Africa and Nigeria system of Governance !!!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by aydrees09: 11:45am On Dec 31, 2013
anochuko01:
if numbers of course offered is anything to go by, what then will you say of a school like AAUA that doesnt offer ANY engineering course let alone medcine and law?

Does any poly offer Law ?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 12:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
@olugbenga,
Like I said earlier, I do not know about engineering and u will notice that my comments were selective and directed at management courses.

Let them keep shouting that they are better than us. We including them know that a B.sc holder has always had the upper hand. All their whining here will not change it. I still maintain that HND should upgrade their certificate, work up the corporate ladder and change things. Their incessant whining here would not change the norm.

Thread is already getting boring.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 12:02pm On Dec 31, 2013
aydrees09:

Does any poly offer Law ?
Yes, Diploma in Law. Hassan Usman Polytechnic, katsina.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 12:07pm On Dec 31, 2013
anochuko01:
if numbers of course offered is anything to go by, what then will you say of a school like AAUA that doesnt offer ANY engineering course let alone medcine and law?

Yes there are some terrible universities but there are worse polytechnics. The ratio of bad polytechnics to bad universities cannot be compared. Even the best polytechnic would not stand the least of the best universities in nigeria.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 12:11pm On Dec 31, 2013
rckdude: @olugbenga,
Like I said earlier, I do not know about engineering and u will notice that my comments were selective and directed at management courses.

Let them keep shouting that they are better than us. We including them know that a B.sc holder has always had the upper hand. All their whining here will not change it. I still maintain that HND should upgrade their certificate, work up the corporate ladder and change things. Their incessant whining here would not change the norm.

Thread is already getting boring.

Thanks for this. I'm unfollowing the thread soon.

sad
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olril18(m): 12:22pm On Dec 31, 2013
anochuko01:
liar!!! aaua do offer law.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by anochuko01(m): 12:35pm On Dec 31, 2013
Olril18:
liar!!! aaua do offer law.
engineering and medcine?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by danduchi(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
Thank God you said B.sci....B.tech no get mate
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Megaflex(m): 1:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
zebra: Take it easy guy! Engineering students do algebra in 100 levels and not advanced algebra.
*Busted*
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by opeshe2(m): 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
[quote author=dejt4u]Op, dnt deceive urself..polythechnics nd universities curriculum in Nigeria is very different and dat is what is makin it unequivalent..
What shld be done nw is to upgrade ur curriculum in polytechnics[/quote
So on point
admission requirement is incomparable likewise the research orientation, level of exposure (tru dressing& way they pose for photo shoot) and competence in terms of spoken English am not claiming to be better off, bit theirs lack spice
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by infolekan(m): 3:01pm On Dec 31, 2013
This has been long and occasionally boring and lively thread.
Yes....Polytechnics are good and all that but no serious or educated parent would willingly put their children in a polytechnic unless they dint meet up to a university.
I'm sure none of the posters here will willingly put UK their adopted children not to talk of their children in a polytechnic.
Contrary to what anvaller said...even in Europe, universities are different from universities of applies sciences (polytechnics) here. They are geared towards a different aspect of study.
Research and development is the bedrock of any engineering, pharmaceutical or computer company world wide and that's what the university prepares you for.
Hands on approach has always been the private purview of the lower end (pardon the blunt and truthful view).
They're not equal or comparable even in advanced world.
Institute of polytechnic, university polytechnic and such are research oriented universities in United States and not practical university as some people will like you to believe. They're established to focus on science and technology and are ALL part of a university or established as a more research intensive university there which is different from ours here which should be more of a vocational college or just school of *thinking...drilling or borehole.
The comparison is uncalled for and the so called polytechnics students know the higher and better one is the university THE WIDE WORLD OVER.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by crackthinker: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2013
[quote author=destino24]

There is a difference between an Engineer and a Technologist

Besides, we are not using the American educational system

EDITED
------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question for all

If you had the opportunity of sending your first son to any higher institution of your choice.
Which one would it be, poly or uni?[/quote

My friend an engineer is a technologist! I believe you intended to compare an engineer with a technician
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by crackthinker: 3:11pm On Dec 31, 2013
destino24:

There is a difference between an Engineer and a Technologist

Besides, we are not using the American educational system

EDITED
------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question for all

If you had the opportunity of sending your first son to any higher institution of your choice.
Which one would it be, poly or uni?

My friend an engineer is a technologist, I am sure you wanted to compare an engineer with a technician
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by crackthinker: 3:29pm On Dec 31, 2013
derolemode: Datz my 1st semester's ND1 mth112 work ok,in engineering poly is the best because we are always open to the field and encouraged to research work.All the engineering masters were all bred in polytechnics and monotechnics check it up!!

Is there a difference between the person that designs an engine and the person that assembles the engine? The difference if any is the difference between a university and a polytechnic, one is meant to graduate a technologist while the other is meant to graduate a technician.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by crackthinker: 3:52pm On Dec 31, 2013
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ticker(m): 4:23pm On Dec 31, 2013
zebra: Please, if World Educational Services (WES), a US educational evaluation agency could evaluate a Nigerian HND certificate and say it is equivalent to a 4-year Bsc Degree, what then is the problem of Nigeria and Nigerians? Many HND holders have had their transcripts evaluated by WES and the outcomes have been that the Nigerian HND is equivalent to a Bsc Degree. What then is making Nigeria to still discriminate against Nigerian HND holders? Try evaluating ur Bsc or HND certificate with www.wes.org and see. Or, is it that they don't know what they are doing?
pls tel them my broda
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by adetibabamidele(m): 5:10pm On Dec 31, 2013
zebra: @dejt4u: Hope u did logic in maths? If u did i expect u to know that equivalence and equality are not the same. HND is equivalent to Bsc but not equal to a Bsc. @Mods: pls move this to front page let's argue this out.
pls check your dictionary. Equivalence means equal in value.so if 170naira can buy me an item which 1 dollar can buy me.is 170 naira not equivalent to 1 dollar.
pls let's value service instead of certificate
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Curiouscity(m): 5:46pm On Dec 31, 2013
Too many green horns on this thread.
Nigerian youths, please get real and stop this useless debate. Some can not even present points in a comprehensible manner, yet claiming superiority based on which school they attend(or attended). Please get real and add value to your lives and not PRIDE.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by GentleFrank(m): 5:52pm On Dec 31, 2013
Good discussion!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by jelel6: 7:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
reading through comments here.. Am ashamed to admit that i once had a poor perception of polytecnic education. And i can categorically say without fear nor favour that some persons are allergic to reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by peter4d2(m): 7:41pm On Dec 31, 2013
Hnd n bsc can neva be on d same level cos sum pple claim 2 hv had d priviledge of attendin both n still feel dat their OND rather HNd is far beta dan their degrees. My 1st year in school,we did a course called GNS 103 sociology n treated a topic also slated functionality d reason bin dat there must alwayz be an hieracy in all spheres of lyf like why a senator must earn n drive beta cars than its counterpart house of reps followin same way, why a professor must earn n drive beta cars too than a doctor lukin @ d education system but here u want 2 b treated with d same level has a degree holder hnd folks get real its is inevitable truth we r far beta n rwcongnised.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2013
peter4d2: Hnd n bsc can neva be on d same level cos sum pple claim 2 hv had d priviledge of attendin both n still feel dat their OND rather HNd is far beta dan their degrees. My 1st year in school,we did a course called GNS 103 sociology n treated a topic also slated functionality d reason bin dat there must alwayz be an hieracy in all spheres of lyf like why a senator must earn n drive beta cars than its counterpart house of reps followin same way, why a professor must earn n drive beta cars too than a doctor lukin @ d education system but here u want 2 b treated with d same level has a degree holder hnd folks get real its is inevitable truth we r far beta n rwcongnised.
Recognized for what? For developing the country technologically? Pls we care to know.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Gnosticmovement(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2013
I knw lotta polys suck but my P.T.I can stand its ground..even unis nor get our equipments..rig dey d school sef..lol..nt kidding
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rhames(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2013
zebra: Varsity curriculum and poly curriculum are not the same, should not be the same, are not meant to be the same, and can never be the same. The 2 schools serve different purposes. If the curricula are the same it means a poly and a varsity are the same and should follow the same path. They are not the same pls. The certificates are equivalent according to WES.

Why do people lie brazenly? The curriculum are the same! The problem with HND qualification is the discrimination it suffered during the era of General Gowon whose junta decided that HND is lower in quality than the B. Sc and as a result HND holders have been openly discriminated against in our dear country. I am a lecturer and I know and have a copy of the curriculum.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by guiddoti: 8:57pm On Dec 31, 2013
We have flogged too many issues without a solution. I know poly cannot concede too low for any university. For sure, we should think on the way forward, how do we manage the graduates, how do we incurcate a better syllabus for both classes.

I wish everyone happy new year.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Folksyharry(m): 9:13pm On Dec 31, 2013
dejt4u: Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni

not all parents see it that way. I graduated from Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun with HND in Elect/Elect Engrg.(Power n Machine option). The best student in my session is the son of a professor in DELSU but his father didn't see sending him to school where he'll be awarded HND as a problem. A friend of mine whose dad didn't want him to go to a polytechnic gained admission into the university the same year I got my HND and he was not even given the course he applied for.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Haur1404: 9:21pm On Dec 31, 2013
It is important to note that both B.sc and HND have their places in the development of our nation. It is worrisome when people debate superiority and not purpose when it comes education. When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable.

The HND program was designed to develop the technicalities of the abilities we can achieve as individuals and as a nation. It is sad that many of the Nigerian populace don't know the purpose of the type of education we have in this country. We have placed value on the paper called certificate than result in this nation. No wonder we cannot produce anything, even toothpick are imported. We depend on other countries who value their technocrats and technicians. It is not a curse, if this country does not do something about this discrimination, she will continue to serve other countries. Why? There will come a time when no one will desire technical education. And this is already happening. This will lead us to continue depend on countries like Germany, China, US, Taiwan and the likes.

In summary, the future of this great lies with HND and not B.sc. Enough of papers, we need results.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by slimtoney(m): 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2013
The recognition of self and the tendency of humans to want to dominate one another has always been the architect of injustice that breeds hatred, disatisfaction, civil unrest and even terrorism.
The Uni. and the Poly. education are meant to serve different purposes in the economy of any nation, such that one should not be made subservient to another.
If you are a graduate of a Uni. pls try once in a while to play the Poly grad. for it is those who feels it that knows it.
In a nutshell, the poly graduates have not only been metted with injustice, they have been stigmatised along side with their certificates.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Gnosticmovement(m): 9:43pm On Dec 31, 2013
Folksyharry:

not all parents see it that way. I graduated from Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun with HND in Elect/Elect Engrg.(Power n Machine option). The best student in my session is the son of a professor in DELSU but his father didn't see sending him to school where he'll be awarded HND as a problem. A friend of mine whose dad didn't want him to go to a polytechnic gained admission into the university the same year I got my HND and he was not even given the course he applied for.
how Una deal with engnr aminu for Una tym
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Ninilowo(m): 12:32am On Jan 01, 2014
OP u dont need to sweat nah. Just go n establish so dt u wont need to present ur kinni......abi?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Musa Sani, Boy Who Built A Replica Of Overhead Kano Bridge Gets US Scholarship / Man Visits His Parents' Grave On His Graduation Day In Graduation Outfit(Photos) / I Finally Signed Out At 42

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.