Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63727 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
Olril18:
u are just contradicting urself..
Where is d contradiction in my post? I hope u know what u're saying sha?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
Olril18:
what a fool u are!!
nonsense post!!
u know what??,send all ur children to polytecnic
id.iot!
Stop insulting people. That's not the purpose of this thread. There are better and polite ways to express dissatisfaction or disagreeing with other peoples' opinions.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by success9(m): 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
Olril18:
fg say both degrees are equal?
u must be smoking weed...stop consoling urself man!

Sorry mate, he is not smokin weed. That is d truth...i juss don't know where d discrimination arose from.

Do u know u can decide to go get certification frm nipr, ican, nimn, beec, cipm wit ur ssce and when u ar done, u juss go do masters wit ur certificate? And i'm sure u know Saki is juss an accountin clerk wit her BA or HND untill she is ICAN certified...

So does Saki needs a BA certificate if she can juss go for ICAN?

U know Uniben can't graduate accounting students until ICAN approves of it right?

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 02, 2014
Olril18:
what a fool u are!!
nonsense post!!
u know what??,send all ur children to polytecnic
id.iot!

An example of the Deluded and Shallow minded Nigerians I was referring to; who couldn't even read between the lines to grab the essential points. Typical!

And you know what? If any of my kids wants to study Engineering.....and we have a better system in Nigeria, he is going to Polytechnic or anyother Technology-based institution. Now die! Hediot!

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 6:12pm On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi: HND is better than B.Eng. Yes I said it tongue. We just belong to a society where people like to discriminate courses and institutions stu/pidly. All they know how to do is acquire stu/pid certificates without anything to show for it. Nigerian Education system is such a disgrace. The ways Nigerians view and discriminate things is way disgraceful!
In everyother part of the world, Anybody who studied engineering (whether in a university or polytechnic) is called 'An Engineer'. Here in Nigeria, they are technicians and they will have to waste 3 extra years to get the 'engineering' title. WTF! Only people who attended technical schools should be called 'Technicians' (even that school has been scrapped in Nigeria too. smh) for christ's sake.
In everyother part, anyone who wants to study Technology-related-courses would prefer a Polytechnic to a university. In Nigeria, reverse is the case.

If not for the discrimination, I would've attended a polytechnic myself. Cos they teach what it takes to be an Engineer and not senseless cramming and ending up with paper work called certificate.

In everyother part, it's not compulsory you attend College cos you can become someone with the knowledge you got from highschool. But in Nigeria, you sha must get that degree! smh. Technical Schools (secondary schools) that will give enough knowledge to start up something and become a technician no longer exists for whatever reason. kai. Threads like these always make me feel sad, Cos our mentality is just awkward in Nigeria.
We can all see what all these discrimination is causing; How many Engineering Companies can Nigeria boast of? Only Julius Berger and few others. Why? Because a typical Nigerian graduate can't do the most basic things in Engineering........that's just the fact. I know some Electrical Engineering graduates who can't get the ratings of Resistors right cos they don't even know colour codes or how to place the multiplier. To draw simple layout, most cannot do...talkless to arranging components on a Vero board.
My Scholar while in School can only cram till kingdom come....take him to the workshop, he will be looking like a dummy. Yet he will brag first class in the society, issh. I wonder where he is now sef.

To me, HND is equal if not better than B.ENG. B.Eng is just a bragging right (that's what Nigerians can do best)......tchew
I've been following this thread since day1 and I can say your post is nailed on-point.

I had my ond from a poly before proceeding to Leeds for my bsc and msc in computer Engineering and telecommunications engr.
Its disheartning that we as a country has refused to grow up and judging by some post I've seen on this thread discriminating the poly guys i just smh in awe.

My 2nd yr at the poly,I was already playing around with flip flps,vero boards,capacitors,light emmiting diodes,resistors and using colour codes to check resistor readings.. Lol At that time,my university buddies were even yet to handle a soldering iron and a led.
I know a Dannish guy who was with Econet(airtel now),he had no bsc,he basically went to a technical institute in Denmark but with raft of professional certifications,yet he had Nigerian msc holders who were reporting to him.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexsammy(m): 8:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
goldfish80:
I've been following this thread since day1 and I can say your post is nailed on-point.

I had my ond from a poly before proceeding to Leeds for my bsc and msc in computer Engineering and telecommunications engr.
Its disheartning that we as a country has refused to grow up and judging by some post I've seen on this thread discriminating the poly guys i just smh in awe.

My 2nd yr at the poly,I was already playing around with flip flps,vero boards,capacitors,light emmiting diodes,resistors and using colour codes to check resistor readings.. Lol At that time,my university buddies were even yet to handle a soldering iron and a led.
I know a Dannish guy who was with Econet(airtel now),he had no bsc,he basically went to a technical institute in Denmark but with raft of professional certifications,yet he had Nigerian msc holders who were reporting to him.
, bro, dnt go there, maybe it depend on skuls, becuz am also studying Computer Engineering and I can categorically tell u that since my 3rd year we been undergoing different practical, even in my 4th year, we had a 4unit course jst practicals.....back to what u said abt ur OND and u were already doing ur practical.......seems uve forgotten OND is jst 2yrs, if u dnt do it, when will u....No matter wat u guys say or hw u guys to justify it, HND can neva I mean neva be compare with Bsc or B.Eng.....U guys kept talking abt practicals do u really expect a B.eng holder to go wiring a building by himself? Na wa ooo...In engineering there are different levels dia....we have the artisans/craft men, technicians, technologist and Engineers......I guess u guys will soon compare Technicians and craftmen 2geda one day
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ayobase(m): 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2014
zebra: Pls donot be disappointed in me yet. The poly HND guys are technologist (applied engineers) while the BEng guys are engineers (theoretical engineers or designers), how then do u expect the technologists not to be better than the engineers in hands-on practical work? Like some of u have agreed before, technologists are trained to work with their hands while also using their brains, while engineers use their brains to work on designs. Why then do u expect them not to be good on what they are trained on? What i know is that the university engineering guys do more maths courses than the poly guys, that's one of the major differences btw them. U can google to see the difference btw engineering and engineering technology urself.

Federal University of TECHNOLOGY is am ENGINEERING school aight?

And do u know that Technology is embedded in Engineering. Broad it is!

Maybe I should ask u question...are u implying that the Engineering students do no practical at all or how?

I still don't know what a Technologist, technician or electrician could do that an Engineer wouldn't be able to or not having idea of.

Only Electrical/Electronics Engineering has Power, Control, Electronics, and Comminication embedded. And what do u expect of such an Engineer.

What do u make out of our Swep I, Swep 2 and SIWES. Play?

Mechanical Engineering has its branches also, so also CHemical, Civil and the likes!

5yrs in University for a particular course. Do u really think it worth it to compare an OND holder, even HND holder!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ayobase(m): 8:37pm On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi: HND is better than B.Eng. Yes I said it tongue. We just belong to a society where people like to discriminate courses and institutions stu/pidly. All they know how to do is acquire stu/pid certificates without anything to show for it. Nigerian Education system is such a disgrace. The ways Nigerians view and discriminate things is way disgraceful!
In everyother part of the world, Anybody who studied engineering (whether in a university or polytechnic) is called 'An Engineer'. Here in Nigeria, they are technicians and they will have to waste 3 extra years to get the 'engineering' title. WTF! Only people who attended technical schools should be called 'Technicians' (even that school has been scrapped in Nigeria too. smh) for christ's sake.
In everyother part, anyone who wants to study Technology-related-courses would prefer a Polytechnic to a university. In Nigeria, reverse is the case.

If not for the discrimination, I would've attended a polytechnic myself. Cos they teach what it takes to be an Engineer and not senseless cramming and ending up with paper work called certificate.

In everyother part, it's not compulsory you attend College cos you can become someone with the knowledge you got from highschool. But in Nigeria, you sha must get that degree! smh. Technical Schools (secondary schools) that will give enough knowledge to start up something and become a technician no longer exists for whatever reason. kai. Threads like these always make me feel sad, Cos our mentality is just awkward in Nigeria.
We can all see what all these discrimination is causing; How many Engineering Companies can Nigeria boast of? Only Julius Berger and few others. Why? Because a typical Nigerian graduate can't do the most basic things in Engineering........that's just the fact. I know some Electrical Engineering graduates who can't get the ratings of Resistors right cos they don't even know colour codes or how to place the multiplier. To draw simple layout, most cannot do...talkless to arranging components on a Vero board.
My Scholar while in School can only cram till kingdom come....take him to the workshop, he will be looking like a dummy. Yet he will brag first class in the society, issh. I wonder where he is now sef.

To me, HND is equal if not better than B.ENG. B.Eng is just a bragging right (that's what Nigerians can do best)......tchew

Yes, I understand ur pains.

If not for failed educational system we have, do u think a Technologist should be be compared to an Engineer.

Let's face reality, what concerns an Engineer with knowing the value of resistor and the likes when he is not into Electronics, but power, control or communication.

I guess u are generalising just like Poly's. No, don't compare.

Let me ask you a question, why is transformer rated in KVA?

An Engineer does the design, while the technologist implements with thorough supervision.

And what makes u think that an Engineer can't construct what he designs......division of labour giving a technologist and others an opportunity.

Engineer has more understanding. I don't expect u to argue that. An Engineer is the blueprint. An Engineer dictates, while the technologist obeys!

You even dey talk sey HND better pass B.Eng. Maybe we can also say a College graduate better pass Poly graduate.

And finally, Engineers are Technologists, but Technologists are not Engineers!

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by natddon(m): 8:38pm On Jan 02, 2014
For argument sake, I read biochemistry in a fed uni. I did the whole ICAN exams in under 3yrs. Mind you, b4 dat time I knew no word in accounting.
fortunejum:
As long as the federal govt recognizes the two certificates as equivalent; nothing will stop the HND holders from attaining any high positions as the BSC holders.Secondly, HND graduates has opportunity to upgrade their qualification. I am doing my ICAN now, so there is no where i cannot rise to the post of a perm sec. tomorrow.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ayobase(m): 8:42pm On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi:

An example of the Deluded and Shallow minded Nigerians I was referring to; who couldn't even read between the lines to grab the essential points. Typical!

And you know what? If any of my kids wants to study Engineering.....and we have a better system in Nigeria, he is going to Polytechnic or anyother Technology-based institution. Now die! Hediot!

Engineer and technologist are two different people sha.

You want your Child to study Engineering, and you wanna send him to Technology-based institution like FUT,Minna and the likes abi?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
ayobase:

Federal University of TECHNOLOGY is am ENGINEERING school aight?

And do u know that Technology is embedded in Engineering. Broad it is!

Maybe I should ask u question...are u implying that the Engineering students do no practical at all or how?

I still don't know what a Technologist, technician or electrician could do that an Engineer wouldn't be able to or not having idea of.

Only Electrical/Electronics Engineering has Power, Control, Electronics, and Comminication embedded. And what do u expect of such an Engineer.

What do u make out of our Swep I, Swep 2 and SIWES. Play?

Mechanical Engineering has its branches also, so also CHemical, Civil and the likes!

5yrs in University for a particular course. Do u really think it worth it to compare an OND holder, even HND holder!
U're still missing the point. Ur swep and siwes are to ensure u get practical training on design and not practical training on implementation of designs. U're not trained to operate machines and handle tools, the ND and HND holders are trained for that. Pls use google to see the difference btw engineering and engineering technology. Nawa o, another different argument again.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 8:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
Walexsammy: , bro, dnt go there, maybe it depend on skuls, becuz am also studying Computer Engineering and I can categorically tell u that since my 3rd year we been undergoing different practical, even in my 4th year, we had a 4unit course jst practicals.....back to what u said abt ur OND and u were already doing ur practical.......seems uve forgotten OND is jst 2yrs, if u dnt do it, when will u....No matter wat u guys say or hw u guys to justify it, HND can neva I mean neva be compare with Bsc or B.Eng.....U guys kept talking abt practicals do u really expect a B.eng holder to go wiring a building by himself? Na wa ooo...In engineering there are different levels dia....we have the artisans/craft men, technicians, technologist and Engineers......I guess u guys will soon compare Technicians and craftmen 2geda one day
Since youre a student of computer engineering in a Nigerian uni, could you be kind enough to name the course you offer you think your collegues in a poly do not offer. From electronics,circuit theorem,instrumentation,thermodynamics,advanced calculus,what course do you think you offer, your poly collegues don't offer? Incase you don't know, in multi national companies every technical person is refered to as technician, Bsc or Hnd while the lower ranking technicians with O'level are refered to as handiman,so forget about name/title,am speaking from first hand experience in Transocean.

The talk that bsc holders are designers while hnd holders simply implement the design is hoogwash because we all know what is obtainable in Nigeria,am speaking from the field of electronics. At Ond level I was taught circuit desgin.
The Japanese and Chinese model of electronics engineering is modelled around polytechnic institutes.That's why you see these nations holding sway in robotics which is the future,while we sit at home here in Nigeria cancelling each other out on why Bsc is superior to hnd.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ayobase(m): 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
goldfish80:

And?
U were doing a course of 2 years and u were expected to know the basics. Besides, that was Electonics, but Power, Control nor Telecommunication.

What do u think an Engineering student was doing within that 2 years. Playing?

Are u claiming to be more learned?
Are u saying an Engineering students knows those not?

How is an Engineering student supposed to Design and construct if he knows nothing about electronics.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 02, 2014
ayobase:

Engineer and technologist are two different people sha.

You want your Child to study Engineering, and you wanna send him to Technology-based institution like FUT,Minna and the likes abi?

Technologists are not the same people as Engineers.

If you attended either university or Polytechnic to study Telecommunications (As a course), Food Technology, etc, then you are a technologist
If you attended Technical schools (a type of secondary school that I don't think exists anymore in Nigeria), then you are a technician/Electrician.
If you attended Either University or Polytechnic to study a course that has 'Engineering' attached to its end (e.g. Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering etc), then you are an Engineer just like anybody else who studied the same course in any other type of Tertiary institutions!

Doesn't it look odd to you sef? Someone studied 'Electrical Engineering' and you are calling him a technologist. Why? Because he/she attended Polytechnic? Only in Nigeria can that happen!

Note: I'm referring to HND holders in all my posts not OND

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
@ayobase: Universities in Nigeria train engineers while polytechnics train engineering technologists. The mandate of universities in Nigeria is to train engineers and not engineering technologists. Pls.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ayobase(m): 8:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
Walexsammy: , bro, dnt go there, maybe it depend on skuls, becuz am also studying Computer Engineering and I can categorically tell u that since my 3rd year we been undergoing different practical, even in my 4th year, we had a 4unit course jst practicals.....back to what u said abt ur OND and u were already doing ur practical.......seems uve forgotten OND is jst 2yrs, if u dnt do it, when will u....No matter wat u guys say or hw u guys to justify it, HND can neva I mean neva be compare with Bsc or B.Eng.....U guys kept talking abt practicals do u really expect a B.eng holder to go wiring a building by himself? Na wa ooo...In engineering there are different levels dia....we have the artisans/craft men, technicians, technologist and Engineers......I guess u guys will soon compare Technicians and craftmen 2geda one day

Walahi, I come dey wonder if Engineering students no dey do practicals o.

Abi we no dey design and construct!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 8:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
ayobase:

Let's face reality, what concerns an Engineer with knowing the value of resistor and the likes when he is not into Electronics, but power, control or communication.

Excuse me sir, you studied electrical electronics [EE] but you believe you should have no idea of resistor readings? What is the electronics you studied then?
Christ!

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 9:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
ayobase:

And?
U were doing a course of 2 years and u were expected to know the basics. Besides, that was Electonics, but Power, Control nor Telecommunication.

What do u think an Engineering student was doing within that 2 years. Playing?

Are u claiming to be more learned?
Are u saying an Engineering students knows those not?

How is an Engineering student supposed to Design and construct if he knows nothing about electronics.
I studied computer engineering for 2yrs at the poly. In Computer engineering you are not meant to study power and control, its for the EE guys.That's basically the difference between the two courses(EE and CE).But we did telecommunications1 and 2 though.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexsammy(m): 9:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
goldfish80:
Since youre a student of computer engineering in a Nigerian uni, could you be kind enough to name the course you offer you think your collegues in a poly do not offer. From electronics,circuit theorem,instrumentation,thermodynamics,advanced calculus,what course do you think you offer, your poly collegues don't offer? Incase you don't know, in multi national companies every technical person is refered to as technician, Bsc or Hnd while the lower ranking technicians with O'level are refered to as handiman,so forget about name/title,am speaking from first hand experience in Transocean.

The talk that bsc holders are designers while hnd holders simply implement the design is hoogwash because we all know what is obtainable in Nigeria,am speaking from the field of electronics. At Ond level I was taught circuit desgin.
The Japanese and Chinese model of electronics engineering is modelled around polytechnic institutes.That's why you see these nations holding sway in robotics which is the future,while we sit at home here in Nigeria cancelling each other out on why Bsc is superior to hnd.
....Have u heard of Engineering Analysis before? What of Computational Method?....these are jst but few...these courses give u an insight on how to design....I bet u haven't heard of them b4 because have got many HND holders here
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 9:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
Walexsammy: ....Have u heard of Engineering Analysis before? What of Computational Method?....these are jst but few...these courses give u an insight on how to design....I bet u haven't heard of them b4 because have got many HND holders here
If I've heard about those stated courses above? Lol ..well Unfortunately am not a hnd holder,it would be stupid if I should reply that.Btw Don't bet your money on the HND guys never coming across those, my candid advice because those courses you listed are under micro computer and the standard textbooks both uni and poly in Nigeria use is digital systems principles and applications by Ronald J.Tocci.
The hnd guys should take you up on the courses you pointed out though

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
ayobase:

Yes, I understand ur pains.

If not for failed educational system we have, do u think a Technologist should be be compared to an Engineer.

I guess u are generalising just like Poly's. No, don't compare.

Let me ask you a question, why is transformer rated in KVA?

An Engineer does the design, while the technologist implements with thorough supervision.

And what makes u think that an Engineer can't construct what he designs......division of labour giving a technologist and others an opportunity.

Engineer has more understanding. I don't expect u to argue that. An Engineer is the blueprint. An Engineer dictates, while the technologist obeys!

You even dey talk sey HND better pass B.Eng. Maybe we can also say a College graduate better pass Poly graduate.

And finally, Engineers are Technologists, but Technologists are not Engineers!

@first bolded, Ayobase....I can't believe you are saying that! Anybody that studied any branch of Engineering should know the basics of all the specializations under it. How can an Engineer claim not to be able to read the ratings on a resistor because he didn't specialize in Electronics? Gosh! This is the main reason people bash Engineering graduates!

And to answer your question, Transformers are rated in KVA because loses are based on Current and voltage, not on the power factor. Why would anyone in Electrical Engineering not know that?

@second bolded, WE all know that; but the point is Polytechnic graduates are also Engineers. That's how it is in Everyother part of the world.

And it seems you are confusing the jobs of the various professions in the hierarchy in Engineering work. There's no place where Engineers are supposed to be 'SUPERVISING'. If that is the case, then Engineering has no beauty. It's only in Nigeria I see Engineers saying, it is the work of EVERY Engineer to be Supervising. Say wetin? It is only the Engineer who has attained the title of 'Senior Engineer' that should supervise, the rest should be on the field, working! Lemme give a load down....I won't give the full details just little things into what each profession should be doing in an Engineering project.

CIVIL ENGINEERING
-Craftman: It's the job of the craftmen to build all the casting materials used for bridges etc after the 'Design Engineer' must have drawn the plan
-Technicians/Electricians- they are in charge of the cranes that carries the Engineers doing the construction work, the construction materials (Mortar). He is also incharge of Generators etc.
-Labourer: Just as it sounds; Mortar mixing etc...
----------------after all these people we have

-Engineer 1: this person works on site.....he is suppose to lay blocks etc. There are equipments that should make the job pleasant though....like cranes that carries him to the part he is constructing (In Nigeria, Na bricklayers they do this work and you say building no go collapse)
-Engineer 2
-Engineer 3
-senior Engineer
-Principal Engineer
-Senior Principal Engineer

I can't really tell what each of those positions do cos I've not reached the positions: But their work ranges from Design to Supervision. the seniority increases based on their Capabilities on field (as accessed by A higher rank Engineer) and not your certificate.

ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- Craftman: They make the pattern for outer covering of stuffs (Electronic products etc)
- Technicians/Electricians- They are the ones to call when things get spoilt (Like wirings, Phones, etc that have been done by an Engineer - so yes, Engineers are suppose to do the wiring in a sane world)
etc......

then we have the different engineering ranks.

Technologists are the ones who usually do surveys and all those stuffs.

The fact of it all is that; Engineers who wants to work on field in any part of the world usually attend Polytechnics and they are ENGINEERS, While the ones who wanna become lecturers and become professors et al attend universities. that's how it should be! Our system is just messed up in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 10:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi:

@first bolded, Ayobase....I can't believe you are saying that! Anybody that studied any branch of Engineering should know the basics of all the specializations under it. How can an Engineer claim not to be able to read the ratings on a resistor because he didn't specialize in Electronics? Gosh! This is the main reason people bash Engineering graduates!

And to answer your question, Transformers are rated in KVA because loses are based on Current and voltage, not on the power factor. Why would anyone in Electrical Engineering not know that?

@second bolded, WE all know that; but the point is Polytechnic graduates are also Engineers. That's how it is in Everyother part of the world.

And it seems you are confusing the jobs of the various professions in the hierarchy in Engineering work. There's no place where Engineers are supposed to be 'SUPERVISING'. If that is the case, then Engineering has no beauty. It's only in Nigeria I see Engineers saying, it is the work of EVERY Engineer to be Supervising. Say wetin? It is only the Engineer who has attained the title of 'Senior Engineer' that should supervise, the rest should be on the field, working! Lemme give a load down....I won't give the full details just little things into what each profession should be doing in an Engineering project.

CIVIL ENGINEERING
-Craftman: It's the job of the craftmen to build all the casting materials used for bridges etc after the 'Design Engineer' must have drawn the plan
-Technicians/Electricians- they are in charge of the cranes that carries the Engineers doing the construction work, the construction materials (Mortar). He is also incharge of Generators etc.
-Labourer: Just as it sounds; Mortar mixing etc...
----------------after all these people we have

-Engineer 1: this person works on site.....he is suppose to lay blocks etc. There equipments that should make the job pleasant though....like cranes that carries him to the part he is constructing (In Nigeria, Na bricklayers they do this work and you say building no go collapse)
-Engineer 2
-Engineer 3
-senior Engineer
-Principal Engineer
-Senior Principal Engineer

I can't really tell what each of those positions do cos I've not reached the positions: But their work ranges from Design to Supervision. the seniority increases based on their Capabilities on field (as accessed by A higher rank Engineer) and not your certificate.

ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- Craftman: They make the pattern outer covering of stuffs (Electronic products etc)
- Technicians/Electricians- They are the ones to call when things get spoilt (Like wirings, Phones, etc that have been done by an Engineer - so yes, Engineers are suppose to do the wiring in a sane world)
etc......

then we have the different engineering ranks.

Technologists are the ones who usually do surveys and all those stuffs.

[b]The fact of it all is that; Engineers who wants to work on field in any part of the world usually attend Polytechnics and they are ENGINEERS, While the ones who wanna become lecturers and become professors et al attend universities. that's how it should be! Our system is just messed up in Nigeria.
God bless you for that first paragraph. If an electrical electronics engineer believes he has no buisness knowing resistor readings and color code then the future of Nigeria is in tartars.
Its like a doctor who belives shouldn't know how to use a thermometer believing its the job of nurses to check tempratures.lol
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexsammy(m): 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
goldfish80:
If I've heard about those stated courses above? Lol ..well Unfortunately am not a hnd holder,it would be stupid if I should reply that.Btw Don't bet your money on the HND guys never coming across those, my candid advice because those courses you listed are under micro computer and the standard textbooks both uni and poly in Nigeria use is digital systems principles and applications by Ronald J.Tocci.
The hnd guys should take you up on the courses you pointed out though
I doubt bro, because those two courses are taken world wide by all engineering students in Uni.....like I said, I have so many HND guys here who have neva heard of it u no why, itz basically for Design, wia u have different theorems
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
goldfish80:
God bless you for that first paragraph. If an electrical electronics engineer believes he has no buisness knowing resistor readings and color code then the future of Nigeria is in tartars.

It's not even funny. Cos the basic stuffs are necessary to do anything tangible in Engineering. If you don't know how to calculate ratings of Resistors, Capacitors etc, then how will you place your components on the vero board/PCB that is a necessity (e.g the 'Motherboard') of every electronic device? And you wonder why we have such a few Manufacturing companies. It's a shame.

All Nigerian Engineering graduates have is Bragging rights. Really!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
I think what should be done first is; Polytechnics should start awarding degrees. Most Polytechnics in other countries don't offer HND Ishh anymore.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
ayobase:

You know the problem with Nigeria is doing things absurdly. Do you know University of Technology, Polytechnics, Institute of Technology etc are supposed to mean the same thing? Each country has its own preferences to which of the names they wanna use. But in Nigeria, we have all the institutions with variants of qualifications. See I give up! Naija Matter don tire me.

P.S: 'I' don't want my child to study Engineering. Read that post again
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by goldfish80(m): 11:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
speedyboi:

It's not even funny. Cos the basic stuffs are necessary to do anything tangible in Engineering. If you don't know how to calculate ratings of Resistors, Capacitors etc, then how will you place your components on the vero board/PSB that is a necessity (e.g the 'Motherboard') of every electronic device? And you wonder why we have such a few Manufacturing companies. It's a shame.

All Nigerian Engineering graduates have is Bragging rights. Really!
The Nigerian education system is a big fraud especially in the field of applied engineering but I never knew things has got so bad that an electronics engineer(bsc) thinks he has nothing to do with resistor readings in his field.That is a big indictment on Nigerian education system as a whole and an embarrasement to Nigerian Electrical engineers. I humbly call on the moderators to kindly delete that post by ayobase.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexz02(m): 1:16am On Jan 03, 2014
Hope I am not late
This are list of courses I registered for :
School: The polytechnic Ibadan.
Faculty: Engineering
Department: Agricultural Engineering
First semester ND1
MEC113- Mechanical Engr Science
MEC111-Technical Drawig
LIB111- Use of library
MEC115-Basic workshop practice
MTH111- Logic and linear algebra
MTH112-Algebra and Elem trigonometry
GNS101-Use of english
GNS111-Citizenshipeducation
EEd116- Intro to entrepreneurship
AGT111- Principle of crop production
AGR111- Intro to Agriculture
AET111- Intro to Agric Engr.

Second semester ND1
MEc205- Strenght of materials
MEC104-Thermodynamics
MEC206-Properties of materials (this course ehn!
MTH112- Trig. And analytical geometry
TSL101-Basic prin. of land sirveying
AET121- Farm Constr. Tech. & practice
AGT124- Rural sociology
AET122- Basic soil science
GNS202- Communication in English
COM122- Intro. to Computer
EEC101- Electrical Engineering science
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexz02(m): 1:31am On Jan 03, 2014
First Semester ND2
AET211- Farm electrification
AET211- Tractor operation and maintainace
AET213- Farm power
MTH211- calculus
AGT212- Agro climatology
CEC226- Soil mechanics 1
EEd216- practice of Entrepreneurship
GNS201- Use of english 2
MEC217- Fluid Mechanics1
STA111- Intro to stastistics
TSL102- Basic princ. of Land survey 2

Second semester ND2
AET224- Farm structures
AET226- crop processing. and storage
AEt223- Soil and water conservation
AGT112 Elements of agric Economics
AET222- Farm machinery and mechanization
AEt221- Irrigation and drainage
AGT230- Agric extension
AET227 - project.

some should help withe that of HND...

I removed some electives due to my project...its a hard project,
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by jpphilips(m): 11:07am On Jan 03, 2014
speedyboi:

An example of the Deluded and Shallow minded Nigerians I was referring to; who couldn't even read between the lines to grab the [b]essential points. [/b]Typical!

I completely disagree with the bold part, the OP has no point to use the word "essential", truth be told, Nigerians have a way of looking for sympathy where there is none in the first place.

The polys were created for a reason same for the Uni's therefore, if a man sayeth he joinest either one, he has himself to blame not the system.
I ve not researched WES, but in Nigeria here, the polys were meant to serve a technical purpose, but what we see are people who want to do white collar jobs with a technical certificate, isn't that a misplaced priority?

on the grounds of discrimination, i dont really want to call it discrimination but i call it reality and it has been here even before the OP was born, the point here is, people look for easy choices but wanna get sympathy when they are caught up with its consequences.

Instead of taking Jamb, you opt for a poly Jamb, then what? and you still wanna be apar with people who made a different choice?

Today, instead of kids studying to pass jamb, they say no, they stick to BBA and facebook, next their parents will send them to charge and bail universities in Ghana and other poorly rated Scandinavian countries where they get a sub standard degree at a high cost.

My point is, you cannot fool yourself and expect to be pitied.

Kwame Nkurumah university in Ghana was rated 63rd in Africa, yet people go and pay as much as $2,500 per term to send their wards there, meanwhile back home here, OAU is occupying the 10th position and far cheaper, but because the kids don't want to study, we take the easy way out, of course you don't need jamb to study in that Ghananian university.

most employers are reviewing these certificates and of course the victims will cry, "discrimination", i heard even govt agencies like NSCDC have started sacking or demoting people with sub standard foreign certificates (due to the oga at the top scandal, i guess) it wont take long before other private emplyers follow suit, is it really discrimination? or a brazen abuse of common sense?
"what thou sowest thou reapest.'"

back to the polytechnic issue, most polytechnic graduates in Nigeria dont even know what they are supposed to be doing in life, the guy that does art works, painting and sculptor for us graduated from yaba tech and he came highly recommended not just by people who have seen his skills first hand but the natural testimony of his works,
I see his invoices and he earns good money, what is a mechanical technician looking for in a Bank?

Nigeria is a very big market which is lacking in craftsmanship, check it, any handi work you wish to do from furniture maker, to mechanic to builder to electrician just name it, you hardly get good ones, so i have no doubt in my mind that our trained technicians have a very large market only if they will apply the knowledge they have gotten.

An electrical technician wants to work in a bank, insurance house etc, that is total misplaced priorities and that is what the poly guys are suffering not discrimination.

Employers, BSc, Beng are subtly telling the tech guys, "go ye into the field and use thy hands". I share that sentiment also.

I want a mechanical technician to have the capacity to fix cars,
I want Fine and applied technicians to have the capacity to paint houses and inject innovation into it,

not sitting lame duck in a federal parastatal and claiming he wants the same salary/promotion with Engineers.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexsammy(m): 11:38am On Jan 03, 2014
jp philips:

I completely disagree with the bold part, the OP has no point to use the word "essential", truth be told, Nigerians have a way of looking for sympathy where there is none in the first place.

The polys were created for a reason same for the Uni's therefore, if a man sayeth he joinest either one, he has himself to blame not the system.
I ve not researched WES, but in Nigeria here, the polys were meant to serve a technical purpose, but what we see are people who want to do white collar jobs with a technical certificate, isn't that a misplaced priority?

on the grounds of discrimination, i dont really want to call it discrimination but i call it reality and it has been here even before the OP was born, the point here is, people look for easy choices but wanna get sympathy when they are caught up with its consequences.

Instead of taking Jamb, you opt for a poly Jamb, then what? and you still wanna be apar with people who made a different choice?

Today, instead of kids studying to pass jamb, they say no, they stick to BBA and facebook, next their parents will send them to charge and bail universities in Ghana and other poorly rated Scandinavian countries where they get a sub standard degree at a high cost.

Kwame Nkurumah university in Ghana was rated 63rd in Africa, yet people go and pay as much as $2,500 per term to send their wards there, meanwhile back home here, OAU is occupying the 10th position and far cheaper, but because the kids don't want to study, we take the easy way out, of course you don't need jamb to study in that Ghananian university.

most employers are reviewing these certificates and of course the victims will cry, "discrimination", i heard even govt agencies like NSCDC have started sacking or demoting people with sub standard foreign certificates (due to the oga at the top scandal, i guess) it wont take long before other private emplyers follow suit, is it really discrimination? or a brazen abuse of common sense?

back to the polytechnic issue, most polytechnic graduates in Nigeria dont even know what they are supposed to be doing in life, the guy that does art works, painting and sculptor for us graduated from yaba tech and he came highly recommended not just by people who have seen his skills first hand but the natural testimony of his works,
I see his invoices and he earns good money, what is a mechanical technician looking for in a Bank?

Nigeria is a very big market which is lacking in craftsmanship, check it, any handi work you wish to do from furniture maker, to mechanic to builder to electrician just name it, you hardly get good ones, so i have no doubt in my mind that our trained technicians have a very large market only if they will apply the knowledge they have gotten.

An electrical technician wants to work in a bank, insurance house etc, that is total misplaced priorities and that is what the poly guys are suffering not discrimination.

Employers, BSc, Beng are subtly telling the tech guys, "go ye into the field and use thy hands". I share that sentiment also.

I want Fine and applied technicians to have the capacity to paint houses and inject innovation into it,

not sitting lame duck in a federal parastatal and claiming he wants the same salary/promotion with Engineers.
....thanks so so so so much for this write up...in addition, my own relative seeing the kind of stress I passed 2ru in writing Jamb jst went ahead to purchase a poly form and started skuling asif itz a secondary skul...then someone here will wanna compare him with a uni graduate
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 03, 2014
jp philips:

You are getting it all wrong!
First know that; entrance into both polytechnic and university are the same! They both use UTME with the same cut off mark.
secondly, Anybody that studies 'Electrical Engineering' anywhere is not a TECHNICIAN!
Anybody that goes to study craftwork anywhere (whether poly or Uni) is a craftman. Why do people use title anyhow in Nigeria? The title you have is not a matter of the institution you attended, but what you studied!

and An Electrical Engineer who graduated from university and is looking for a white-collar job is as useless as an Electrical Engineer who graduated from a polytechnic looking for a white-collar job.

FULLSTOP.

I repeat again! Polytechnic graduates in 'Engineering' are not meant to be called 'TechniciaNS'. The technician title is for those who attended Technical schools. Ahn ahn. It's a pity that we call ourselves graduates and we can't even get simples things correctly like how to use titles.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today / "Missing OAU Law Student" Found!!! / Jamb Direct Entry 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.