Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,357 members, 7,815,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63799 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
kayusbrown:

You are missing my point again. No one is saying theories are irrelevant. They are the foundation upon which practical knowlede is built. That's why there is 40% theoretical content in Polytechnic curriculum. What I disagree with is the notion that Polytechnic students are not smart enough to handle advanced mathematics and complex engineering calculations as insinuated by you and basilo101. Those aspects of engineering are not just emphasised in Polytechnics like Universities because of the disparity in focus, philosophy and purpose of the two institutions.

I have a question for you

If you had the opportunity of sending your first son to any higher institution of your choice.
Which one would it be, poly or uni?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Varsity curriculum and poly curriculum are not the same, should not be the same, are not meant to be the same, and can never be the same. The 2 schools serve different purposes. If the curricula are the same it means a poly and a varsity are the same and should follow the same path. They are not the same pls. The certificates are equivalent according to WES.

You no get sense at all. This thing wey you write contradicts everything you are fighting for. A IS NOT B. A HAS DIFFERENT CURRICULUM FROM B. A AMD B HAS DIFFERENT PURPOSE. THEREFORE, A AND B ARE EQUAL. I swear, you no well
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Pidivine: 7:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
The truth is that every graduate should be given equal opportunity irrespective of the certificate you claim to have.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1307261/homebuilt-radio-controlled-helicopter

A thread by a university mathematics student. He is designing and manufacturing a home built radio controlled helicopter.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1:

You are yet to answer this ;

In uni, for engineering students, You do induction and You are part of the NSE(Nigeria Society of Engineers)..is that also applicable to Poly Grads?

That's not applicable because NSE and COREN made it so. We emphasise NOMENCLATURE and TITLES a lot in Nigeria. That's why some people believe a 'graduate' is only someone who completes a University degree programme forgetting the fact that a secondary school leaver is also a graduate. Similarly, COREN believes only the University degree holder can use the title 'Engineer'. An Engineer is simply someone who practices engineering thus, a Craftsman is also an Engineer at his own level or cadre. The hypocrisy of COREN is exposed where it recognises B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) holders as 'Engineers' and term HND holders Technologists.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by oluagness(m): 7:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
dejt4u:
from ur own statistics abi.. Weda u lyk it or nt poly is inferior nd wil 4eva be inferior to uni..
why are you saying this? Your personal hatred for hnd will never allow you to see anything good about it. Btw, I value my hnd than my bsc
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexsammy(m): 7:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
basilo101:
vocational and technical skill aint engineering. Engineering is abt designs. Poly graduates dnt kw jack abt Laplace tranforms, La grangian interpolation, finite element, artificial neural networks, Fuzzy logic etc. They kip shoutin practical!! Practical!!
thank u my brother, have jst been reading so rubbish coment here abt poly and Uni.........HND's are considered as Technologist, yes dey do more practicals because they are trained to repair a faulty design in existence buh are nt trained to design any component that is nt existing

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Anvaller: 7:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

If you had the opportunity of sending your first son to any higher institution of your choice.

If I were to be in Nigeria and part of a committee to debate this and determine a way forward for Nigeria on this particular topic. I can imagine how very frustrated one can become if u have to debate ppl like destino. Are u just taking a stand to win an argument or u honestly want to see reason? The answer to ur question is so simple, I would advice anyone to go to uni in Naija if they can but the point that is being made here is, that is not how it is supposed to be because that is not how it is in the developed countries.

It is obvious that some ppl like it to remain this way so they can say "well I am a uni grad, I am better than a poly grad" The reason why we are backward is obvious. We don't reason objectively, craps like sentiment, egocentrism, discrimination etc control our sense of judgment and in that case there is no way forward.

4 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Walexsammy(m): 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
captainjay: pls shut up if u Dnt no what 2 say . Who told u dey r only doin practical in poly. I studies CIVIL Engineering in poly of which i did 21 courses in my final yr . U cn confirm from IOT in kwara poly. I served in a big CONSTRUCTION company n dey didn't have option dan 2 retain m . I am still Working wt dem base on my theory n practical experience . I cn tell u dat almost 95percent dat we finished Dsame tym have bn fixed up wt a company or b as a freelancer . And i knw many university graduate dat r still looking 4 job in Engineering . So Dnt talk rubbish here we r nt inferior 2u . We engrs may decide 2 stay on our own wen it comes to level dat u pple claim under state or federal . Pls Dnt rubbish engrs from poly we r not beggars lyk u pple . No govt and private job we cn stand on our own .
that u already have a Job doesn't mean ure better bro

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by walemoses2(m): 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
Could it be when you compared Samsung with Tecno
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by pharmow: 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
All what I see here is a typical Nigerian ego flexing where one feels he is superior to others. Is only in Nigeria that you will see where people of a particular tribe claim superiority over another tribe. The same applies to religion and every other things they can use to show superiority. I believe this is as a result of low self esteem. Talking about the issue at hand, though Bsc is not the same as HND just as NCE is not the same with HND. Each of these qualifications has a purpose they serve and it's a pity that the government of yester years and now aren't channeled these purposes into building a great nation Nigeria should have become. However, by looking at the number of credits passed to get HND program, the OP is not wrong to have said HND is equivalent to BSc in number of credit earned.

Another valid thing to point out here is that you having Bsc doesn't make you better than someone with HND. Nigerians in North America here can attestify to this fact that someone having MBA for example cannot demean another with Diploma because without those people with technical qualifications, you cannot carry out your duties in an organization; and that is the way a normal system works.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ceetowl: 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
I will attribute the fault to insensitivity on the side of our goverment and their approach on the issue. This only expose the fall in standard of our value system. We belief in certification rather value and worth.because most people see things from afar and dont take time to search deep thereby follow the trend and is band wagon effect making them pre judgemental.as a matter of fact HND Is SAME AS BSC by all standard but IN present Nigeria HND IS HIGHLY VALUE THAN BSC even base on there practical and theorical knowledge both in their field of study and outside their field. They are the pillar and the driving force of technological development in nigeria q.e.d

4 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Profeme: 7:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
pharmow: All what I see here is a typical Nigerian ego flexing where one feels he is superior to others. Is only in Nigeria that you will see where people of a particular tribe claim superiority over another tribe. The same applies to religion and every other things they can use to show superiority. I believe this is as a result of low self esteem. Talking about the issue at hand, though Bsc is not the same as HND just as NCE is not the same with HND. Each of these qualifications has a purpose they serve and it's a pity that the government of yester years and now aren't channeled these purposes into building a great nation Nigeria should have become. However, by looking at the number of credits passed to get HND program, the OP is not wrong to have said HND is equivalent to BSc in number of credit earned.

Another valid thing to point out here is that you having Bsc doesn't make you better than someone with HND. Nigerians in North America here can attestify to this fact that someone having MBA for example cannot demean another with Diploma because without those people with technical qualifications, you cannot carry out your duties in an organization; and that is the way a normal system works.
I totally agree with you

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by guiddoti: 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
On the contrary, diploma is not equivalent as degree, but do know curriculum are the same.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Brozules(m): 7:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
Am an polythenic student,studying Agricultural and environ mental engineering,and am proud 2 challenge any university student,be it on theory or our area of specialization(practical).
We are trained to be self dependent,not running after government useless job,if luck is there 2 find a job with goverment,is okay and if not all is well,cos we are well equip with knowledge.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Princevirus(m): 7:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
TO ME I KNW DAT D PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHIN POLY IS DIFF 4RM DAT OF UNI HENCE Bsc CAN NEVA BE EQUAL 2 HND
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 7:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
I see most HND folks saying they have OND, and then they proceeed to the university and they still claim to be graduates of polythenics.

What are they trying to tell us that we don't know already?

This is exactly what is referred, to as hypocrisy. Bsc holders on this thread are not trying to make any different degree holder feel inferior. The acclaimed victims/culprits are the ones oppressing themselves.

Let's discuss facts, and give credence to established opinions.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 7:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

Well that's private. But for the avoidance of doubt, if he's interested in engineering, he'll have to go to the Polytechnic first or a Technical institute like (Institute for Industrial Technology, Lagos) to get his hands dirty and learn the rudiments of engineering. I'll then advice him to work for a minimum of 2years before sponsoring him abroad for bachelor's degree in engineering. Of course I won't let him get close to HND because of the entrenched discrimination against the certificate. Neither will I allow him to study engineering in any of the Nigerian Universities so that he will not end up being like a tiger on a piece of paper.

If he's however interested in Arts or humanities, I'll prefer he goes to the university directly for his 4-year B.A or B.Sc. No need going near the polytechnic because of discrimination (not because University is better, but the unfortunate reality is that premium is placed on it in this part of the world).

We do not value Polytechnic education in Nigeria and that explains why we import the most ridiculous of things like toothpicks.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zivility: 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
stop stressing abt it there is no amount of brain washing that can equate them. firstly the admission requirement for polytechnic wont get u to a university; 2ndly, degree courses are designed to give the graduate broad knowledge with ability to apply flexibly; 3rdly Proffessors tutor in the university hence a great difference.

Face facts - people get HND cos they didnt get d opportunity to get Degrees! not vise versa.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
Brozules: Am an polythenic student,studying Agricultural and environ mental engineering,and am proud 2 challenge any university student,be it on theory or our area of specialization(practical).
We are trained to be self dependent,not running after government useless job,if luck is there 2 find a job with goverment,is okay and if not all is well,cos we are well equip with knowledge.

How can you contradict yourself within a space of two lines.
"government useless jobs" and on the next
"job with government is okay".

I wonder how you can compete. Please don't tell me engineers are not required to know, how to speak and write correct English

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by pharmow: 7:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Anvaller:

If I were to be in Nigeria and part of a committee to debate this and determine a way forward for Nigeria on this particular topic. I can imagine how very frustrated one can become if u have to debate ppl like destino. Are u just taking a stand to win an argument or u honestly want to see reason? The answer to ur question is so simple, I would advice anyone to go to uni in Naija if they can but the point that is being made here is, that is not how it is supposed to be because that is not how it is in the developed countries.

It is obvious that some ppl like it to remain this way so they can say "well I am a uni grad, I am better than a poly grad" The reason why we are backward is obvious. We don't reason objectively, craps like sentiment, egocentrism, discrimination etc control our sense of judgment and in that case there is no way forward.

You have said it all my brother. Nigerians are egocentric and have low self esteem. As a result, they always have a way of bringing other people down to show superiority. 1 thing I always thank God for is for making me leave that country and see things from other part of the world. Don't be surprise to see HND graduate undermining NCE graduate if a similar argument ensue about NCE being equivalent to HND. It is in us Nigerians to wash others down in order to feel important. I was baffled to see the number of people without post-secondary qualification that are living a good life and enjoying what they are doing here. But in Nigeria if U don't have BSc or Masters U are "doomed" which explain the reason why the unemployment rate in Nigeria will never go down; because not everyone can be managers. Like this dude now, he's on top of his world. Though he may not have a job, but so far he's a university graduate and feels superior to ND or HND holder he's alright.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 7:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Brozules: Am an polythenic student,studying Agricultural and environ mental engineering,and am proud 2 challenge any university student,be it on theory or our area of specialization(practical).

Even If you are from a popular poly like Yabatech and top in ur set, can you match a similar colleague from OAU?

Would you have become a student of that poly if you were presented with an admission from OAU?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by slimmylepse: 7:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
Either poly or varsity or wat ever, wat one sud pray for is dat destiny sud take one to greater height. We hv seen a varsity graduate working under a poly graduate who happens to be d owner of d company. U̶̲̥̅̊ dat U̶̲̥̅̊ re varsity graduate, hv U̶̲̥̅̊ now started working @ chevron or oda oil company. U̶̲̥̅̊ see varsity graduate walking all around d street looking for job. Abeg, se varsity graduate we wan chop ni abi d end result! Na wa for U̶̲̥̅̊ na oooo. Make U̶̲̥̅̊ all allow ur children to stay house for yrs looking for varsity to go

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by gameboyo: 7:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

Accountants no dey do practical, whether in a university, polytechnic or monotechnic.

In the Engineering field, they do more of practicals than theory.
In a university, all engineering students will take a course called "ALGEBRA" (both basic and advanced) in first year (first semester).

In a polytechnic, mechanical Engineering students take this same course as "ADVANCED ALGEBRA" in their final year

Don't say what u don't knw about maths.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

How can you contradict yourself within a space of two lines.
"government useless jobs" and on the next
"job with government is okay".

I wonder how you can compete. Please don't tell me engineers are not required to know, how to speak and write correct English

He is not an engineer.

Have you forgotten? grin grin
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 7:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
kayusbrown:
Well that's private. But for the avoidance of doubt, if he's interested in engineering, he'll have to go to the Polytechnic first or a Technical institute like (Institute for Industrial Technology, Lagos) to get his hands dirty and learn the rudiments of engineering. I'll then advice him to work for a minimum of 2years before sponsoring him abroad for bachelor's degree in engineering. Of course I won't let him get close to HND because of the entrenched discrimination against the certificate. Neither will I allow him to study engineering in any of the Nigerian Universities so that he will not end up being like a tiger on a piece of paper.

If he's however interested in Arts or humanities, I'll prefer he goes to the university directly for his 4-year B.A or B.Sc. No need going near the polytechnic because of discrimination (not because University is better, but the unfortunate reality is that premium is placed on it in this part of the world).

We do not value Polytechnic education in Nigeria and that explains why we import the most ridiculous of things like toothpicks.

He only asked a question, requesting a direct answer, not explanations or conjectures about how you arrived at it. wink
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:59pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

He is not an engineer.

Have you forgotten? grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Walexsammy: that u already have a Job doesn't mean ure better bro
then graduating from the university automatically makes you better huh?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by tosomaju(m): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
I have taken the pain to go through every single comment here because this issue directly affect me.

2005, I was admitted into a polytechnic to begin a one-year PreND programme. with little or no orientation about what the polytechnic education stands for, but I wasn't ignorant of the fact that the Nigeria society frown against polytecnic education.

by september 2011, I graduated from the polytechic with and enviable result, yet I wasn't fulfilled. Immediately after my NYSC, I went back to the university to begin from 300L.

My observations so far;
1. Nigeria university curiculum is designed to be superior over that of the polytecnic

2. The polytechnic graduates and students know about the discrimination they face against their bsc counterparts, hence they tend to improve themselves personaly. (majorly in practical)

3. There are more intelligent students and lecturers in the universities but there are more determine students (maybe not lectures) in the polytechics

4. Infrastructures, grand allocations and scholarships favour the universities and as such require to be better than the polytechnics

5. The practical knowledge the polytecnic students boast of are usually not learnt in the four walls of the polytecnics but during IT and SIWES ( of course it is part of the programme)

6. The Nigeria universities have lost most of the strong points designed for it to be superior over the polytechnics but still claim the status squo probably because the polytecnics has also lost it uniqueness too

7. One of the strong point of the polytechnics when it comes to this type of arguement is that they spend at least 5years to bag an HND while the guys in uni spend at least 4years (depending on the course of study)

I can go on and on, but what I think?

I think that;
1. If HND is to remain what it is right now, it should be reduce to 3years, else, it should be upgraded to BTech

2. Just like china and other asian technological giants, we should embrace techinical education, the america and uk we are trying to emulate once were known to major on technical education.

3. The government and the society should encourage the young lads who are found to be technically inclined to go to technical schools and not to study medicine just because they are intelligent

4. Whereever u find your self dont be discourage or too proud. the school u are can only give u 20% of what u require. strife to make your self a better person.

this piece is strickly my opinion, and as such open to critism. pardon me if there is any typographical or grammatical error as i av no time to review what i typed. mainwhile get the message and leave the prints

7 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

He only asked a question, requesting a direct answer, not explanations or conjectures about how you arrived at it. wink
Only a mad man does things without reason. I had to explain so that the prejudiced minds will see the real reasons behind my choices. I have observed that you and destino24 are only interested in winning arguments instead of reasoning logically and making unbiased deductions like the engineer you claim to be. You are embarrassing the sound engineers if you don't know.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

I tire oo
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 8:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger: I see most HND folks saying they have OND, and then they proceeed to the university and they still claim to be graduates of polythenics.

What are they trying to tell us that we don't know already?

This is exactly what is referred, to as hypocrisy. Bsc holders on this thread are not trying to make any different degree holder feel inferior. The acclaimed victims/culprits are the ones oppressing themselves.

Let's discuss facts, and give credence to established opinions.

But the established opinions are flawed. We all cry foul when someone with a foreign degree comes around and is considered before us. Its also the opinion of employers that anything foreign is better. Do you consider such opinion flawed or not?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Jamb Direct Entry 2012/2013 / Girl Who Got 9As In Her SSCE In Enugu Gets Scholarship / "Missing OAU Law Student" Found!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.