Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63815 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by basilo101: 6:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
#bizfirst#:
Nigerians are always confused and are found of attaching value where none exists! To the best of my knowledge, polytechnic graduates beat their university counterparts in vocational and technical courses any day, any time. The universities should even be proud they are equated to polytechnics...SMH!
vocational and technical skill aint engineering. Engineering is abt designs. Poly graduates dnt kw jack abt Laplace tranforms, La grangian interpolation, finite element, artificial neural networks, Fuzzy logic etc. They kip shoutin practical!! Practical!!

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Ddy(m): 6:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
dejt4u:
so wat are u nw clamourin for? Since they are nt d same in any means, they shldnt be d same in certification.. Bsc,Ba,Btech nd Bedu can neva be d same thing as HND in Nigeria..

Pls bros what did u study in school. I want to get a poly graduate to compete wit u.U will see u ar nowhere close to him. Stop deceiving urself wit ur bsc. i hv Msc in maths/computer science.Am a software eng. I had OND b4 going to Uni. so i hv had both experience. interms of pratical aspect Poly is far better than Uni. we only got theory in Uni. Americans dnt care how u speak grammer but more focused on wat u can do wit ur hands. So pls stop fooling urself we ar in 21st century.Tnx

6 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 6:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

Which one are you talking about? B. Tech or HND

About the practical and theory, polytechnics are supposed to do more practicals than theory. The reverse should be the case in a university. There is nothing wrong with that.
"Engineer in society" by prof. S. I. Oluka....
Read the book

You seem not to get my point. The HND programme was ill-conceived. The Polytechnics ought to have been empowered to offer B.Tech programmes when there was a need to step-up from National Diploma programme while maintaining their peculiar educational philosophy. But some people felt only institutions termed 'university' can offer degree programmes, hence the adoption of the 'HND' nomenclature. MIT carries the 'Institute' nomenclature and still offers degree programmes up to doctorate level.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
basilo101:
vocational and technical skill aint engineering. Engineering is abt designs. Poly graduates dnt kw jack abt Laplace tranforms, La grangian interpolation, finite element, artificial neural networks, Fuzzy logic etc. They kip shoutin practical!! Practical!!

^^^^^^^^
Now, that's engineering
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ddy:

Pls bros what did u study in school. I want to get a poly graduate to compete wit u.U will see u ar nowhere close to him. Stop deceiving urself wit ur bsc. i hv Msc in maths/computer science.Am a software eng. I had OND b4 going to Uni. so i hv had both experience. interms of pratical aspect Poly is far better than Uni. we only got theory in Uni. Americans dnt care how u speak grammer but more focused on wat u can do wit ur hands. So pls stop fooling urself we ar in 21st century.Tnx

Compete with him on what?
Theory or practical
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 6:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: And who told u students in nigerian polytechnics don't take courses from other departments. I can still remember very well that biz and acct students in polytechnics took physics, chemistry and biology per semester as compulsory elective courses. That's not even the issue. Are u saying WES evaluation of nigerian HND is false?

When I did my OND in banking and finance, I took physics, computer, economics, comm skills and general studies. I took all this subjects in my b.sc accounting save for physics. I also gained admission wih 5 credits in relevant o level subjects for my OND.
The fact is in management courses that I can relate with, a B.sc graduate has no intellectual nor managerial superiority over an HND graduate, the superiority is just in he head of the employers; probably because they have B.sc. While in sch, whenever there is a quiz competition, Yabatech and even Laspotech usually hold their own against the likes of Unilag and OAU in any NUASA quiz competition, sometimes, HND holders tend to do better than us in professional exams.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 6:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

oga pls shut the Bleep up. We are talking HND and BSC in Nigeria here, and are you restating your opinions based on foreign dispositions. What's our business with baltimore and london school?

What's our business with WES here?

Scream that in your interview and see if you would get employed.

Are those the organisations that would employ you here in Nigeria?

ON THE ISSUE OF JOB HND HOLDERS ARE TECHNOCRAT , AND THE ROLE OF TECHNOCRAT CAN NOT BE UNDERMINE IN ALL FACET OF ANY ECONOMY IN THE WORLD.
FIRSTLY, NIGERIA UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS ALARMING THEREBY CREATING SERIOUS CHAOS IN THE JOB MARKET NOT ONLY FOR HND HOLDERS BUT ALSO FOR BSC HOLDER NOBODY IS LEFT OUT IN THIS PRESENT DAY CHALLENGES, EVEN THE AVAILABLE JOBS TELL ME WHAT ARE THE PERCENTAGE OF WORKFORCE IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY, HOW MANY ND ,HND AND HOW MANY BSC HOLDERS OCCUPY POSITIONS EXCEPT FOR ZENITH BANK WHICH I KNOW RECRUIT ONLY BSC HOLDERS OTHER BANKS PREFER HND HOLDERS DON'T FOOL YOURSELF,NIGERIA IS NOT THERE YET.

SECONDLY, IF NIGERIA UNIVERSITY MUST COMPETE WITH OTHER TOP RATED UNIVERSITIES THEN THIS BARBARIC SYSTEM NEED TO BE BROKEN DOWN AND THE SYSTEM OPEN TO WHAT IS OBTAINABLE INTERNATIONALLY YOU CAN NOT BE RESTRICTED TO THIS KIND OF SYSTEM AND NOT FEEL LIKE A LOCAL CHAMPION, ALL INSTITUTION HAVE THEIR ROLE BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN THE ARE NOT EQUIVALENT TO EACH HOLDER LIKE POLYTECHNIC HND, MONOTECHNIC BTECH, AND COLLEGES OF EDUCATION NCE, B ED, INDIVIDUAL INSTITUTION HAS IT ROLE BUT NEED TO BE PROPERLY DEFINE AND STOP ALL THIS NONSENSE DISPARITY OTHERWISE IN THE NEXT CENTURY NIGERIA MAY BE NO WHERE ACADEMICALLY ,

KUDOS TO OP, WHO CAN TELL IF THOSE AT THE HELMS OF AFFAIR WILL BE READING THIS AND FIND A LASTING SOLUTION ONCE AND FOR ALL.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by omusiliyu(m): 6:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Proudly B.tech holder from one of the recognized federal University in 9ja... Though i'm still lookin for white-collar job
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 6:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Bros, i'm also a university graduate. I know all these.

Abeg tell am jare. I wouldn't say much about other faculties, but I still maintain that in management, a B.sc graduate has nothing over an HND graduate with equivalent class of certificate.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by captainjay(m): 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
dejt4u: Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni
pls shut up if u Dnt no what 2 say . Who told u dey r only doin practical in poly. I studies CIVIL Engineering in poly of which i did 21 courses in my final yr . U cn confirm from IOT in kwara poly. I served in a big CONSTRUCTION company n dey didn't have option dan 2 retain m . I am still Working wt dem base on my theory n practical experience . I cn tell u dat almost 95percent dat we finished Dsame tym have bn fixed up wt a company or b as a freelancer . And i knw many university graduate dat r still looking 4 job in Engineering . So Dnt talk rubbish here we r nt inferior 2u . We engrs may decide 2 stay on our own wen it comes to level dat u pple claim under state or federal . Pls Dnt rubbish engrs from poly we r not beggars lyk u pple . No govt and private job we cn stand on our own .

4 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
how many of your university graduate can stand student from yabatech or auchi poly.
except fromgovt jobs and some few banks like zenith bank that discriminates hnd,most firm prefer hnd cos they are practically sound and cheaper to their bsc counterpart.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
phantonce: how many of your university graduate can stand student from yabatech or auchi poly.
except fromgovt jobs and some few banks like zenith bank that discriminates hnd,most firm prefer hnd cos they are practically sound and cheaper to their bsc counterpart.

I know a guy of auchi poly, studied electrical engineering and doesnt know shit about Electrical grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by sunday478(m): 6:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
kennytidistar:

THIS IS WHY THE OP WAS ANGRY AS A NIGERIAN. BTW HOW MANY NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES ARE RATED AMONG TOP 100GLOBAL UNIVERSITY THAT ACCEPT HND?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Ddy(m): 6:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

Compete with him on what?
Theory or practical

both. Thats d problem we hv in Naija. we always put our selfish intrest first. Lets be realistic here & forget the Cert. Am speaking on the topic here. As i told u i had my Msc in Syracus university. I evaluted my Ond & bsc in WES. The info i got is its equivelent to bsc in states. Reason cos in previous research they do wel in pratical and dats wat Americans want.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: You're only assuming they do only practicals. That's ur opinion about the nigerian polytechnics, they only do practicals. Well, i'm still wondering why/how poly HND graduates pass ICAN exams and other professional exams even before many varsity graduates.

That's so true. Am an Accountant, but I don't consider an HND holder less qualified than I. We are at par. The only difference is just our certificate.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 6:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
basilo101:

Have you ever checked the course synopsis for HND in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering? Those subjects you mentioned above are covered in Advanced Calculus and some EEE courses. And talking about designs, I can categorically say here that most (if not all) Engineering Departmnt of Nigerian Universities do not offer Design as a course. I have soft copies of course synopsis for engineering courses of UI, OAU, UNILAG, ABU, FUTO, FUTA and FUNAAB. Didn't find anything like Design techniques or principles in them. You can go find out yourself. This is why most Nigerian University graduates can't design from scratch. You will hardly find an original engineering design out there done by a Nigerian graduate.

5 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1:

I know a guy of auchi poly, studied electrical engineering and doesnt know shit about Electrical grin grin grin

There are lots of them in IMT
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Ddy(m): 6:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
omusiliyu: Proudly B.tech holder from one of the recognized federal University in 9ja... Though i'm still lookin for white-collar job
grin
omusiliyu: Proudly B.tech holder from one of the recognized federal University in 9ja... Though i'm still lookin for white-collar job
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
kayusbrown:

Have you ever checked the course synopsis for HND in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering? Those subjects you mentioned above are covered in Advanced Calculus and some EEE courses. And talking about designs, I can categorically say here that most (if not all) Engineering Departmnt of Nigerian Universities do not offer Design as a course. I have soft copies of course synopsis for engineering courses of UI, OAU, UNILAG, ABU, FUTO, FUTA and FUNAAB. Didn't find anything like Design techniques or principles in them. You can go find out yourself. This is why most Nigerian University graduates can't design from scratch. You will hardly find an original engineering design out there done by a Nigerian graduate.

Engineering design = 2nd yr, 1st and second semester (all engineering disciplines plus food science and technology)

Machine design and drawing = 3rd year (for mechanical and agricultural and bioresource Engineering)

Engineering dynamics = same disciplines above

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 6:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

Engineering design = 2nd yr, 1st and second semester (all engineering disciplines plus food science and technology)

Machine design and drawing = 3rd year (for mechanical and agricultural and bioresource Engineering)

Engineering dynamics = same disciplines above

When you go beyond the titles of those courses you listed above, and check the details of the modules in them, you'll find out they are are lacking in practical approach to engineering design. Designing goes beyond knowing how to solve complex equations or producing diagrams on cardboards. It's about applying those theories in solving real life problems which is resoundingly lacking in the contents of those courses.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 30, 2013
i pity the hnd folks,my mum suffered becos of her hnd qualification ,she swore to God that none of us will go to poly ,my younger broda forfeit his free admision to poly twice
if nigerian educational system is not scrapped hnd is hell
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
kayusbrown:

When you go beyond the titles of those courses you but above, and check the details of the modules in them, you'll find out they are are lacking in practical approach to engineering design. Designing goes beyond knowing how to solve complex equations or producing diagrams on cardboards. It's about applying those theories in solving real life problems which is resoundingly lacking in the contents of those courses.

It's totally normal for polytechnics to do more practicals than universities. But, you can understand that without those theories, practicals will be somewhat awkward and unsafe
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
presher: i pity the hnd folks,my mum suffered becos of her hnd qualification ,she swore to God that none of us will go to poly ,my younger broda forfeit his free admision to poly twice
if nigerian educational system is not scrapped hnd is hell

Almost the same with my dad
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Anvaller: 6:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1: This is what I personally know about University Graduate and Polytechnic Graduate..I am using Engineering and others as a case study..

I want the poly Grad to quickly answer this questions;

Why are Poly grad calls Technicians and Uni grad Engineers?

Why cant Poly grads do Masters straight without going thru PGD? I guess it is only a third class uni grad that will also do PGD before doing Masters?

Why do Poly Grads have to go back to 200lvl when they want to do DE?

In uni, for engineering students, You do induction and You are part of the NSE(Nigeria Society of Engineers)..is that also applicable to Poly Grads?

When you get employed as a BSc Holder, you start from Level 8 step 2, do you know the level a HND grad starts from?

Let me stop from here. once I have answers, I will cont with a real life experience of my Boss

Ok dude, u seem not to understand some reasons.

Poly masters are required to do pgd before masters not because they rate them as equal to a 3rd class uni grad but because they have to take a so called bridging course. This is how it is done all over the world. If u want to convert from an academic stream to another academic stream, it only makes sense to require u to take a bridging course. This has nothing to do with ur smartness level. In Europe, if u studied in University of Applied Sciences for example and u for a reason would like to do ur masters in a University of Life Sciences, U will be required to do a 1 year pre master bridging course. Whereas u would have just gone ahead and do ur masters directly if u chose to do it in another University of applied sciences. The problem is that we dont understand the reasons why we do many things in Nigeria, we just do it because that is how we have been doing it even if it is stupid. Nobody asks questions, nobody evaluates.

If poly grads go to 200 level for DE, do u not see that it is ridiculous? This comes back to the fact that our educational standard is crap and I will explain to u. These university lecturers assume that a guy coming from poly is used to a practical way of studying whereas the study environment in a university is research oriented (though not in all cases) since we have a stupid system where nobody thinks or ready to think, all they could do is just slam 200 levels on poly graduates. In a developed educational system, what they do is bring u in at the 3rd year and give u extra courses on the side. The essence is to get u to do courses that adapt u to research approaches because that is obviously what differentiate ur new study of choice from ur formal study.

Concerning level at which u start a job, it has been a constant discussion in Nigeria that HND and BSC should be equally paid but because ppl like u who probably has a BSC will feel less important if it is allowed, the discussion remains unending till today not for any good reason but just discrimination. Whereas in other countries where they know what they are doing, graduates of college, universities and equivalent degrees are all on the same payscale.

The question that should be more important to u is what is happening to Nigeria and the way we do things?

And just an FYI for u, I have studied both in Nigeria and abroad, I have both HND and BSC that is being discussed here and I have been exposed to both Europe and North America's job market so I am talking from experience hence the reason for my particular interest in this topic. The point is to inform.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

Almost the same with my dad
if u reach level 13 in civil service with hnd you will not be placed in the adminstrative cadre unless you get msc
most people that study hnd in nigeria are not well advised
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
HND is equivalent to BSC in many countries but without honor! So, it is like the undergraduate in a nutshell.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by snipesdam(m): 7:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Guy I value my HND die, am proud of it because I earned it. I graduated from FEDPONEK were CD=1.5 is a Reference. You must get a C=2.0 to pass that course, so imagine the struggle.
So like in varsity were with a D, and E you're good to go.

COMPUTER SCIENCE Graduate with 2.1
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Anvaller:

Ok dude, u seem not to understand some reasons.

And just an FYI for u, I have studied both in Nigeria and abroad, I have both HND and BSC that is being discussed here and I have been exposed to both Europe and North America's job market so I am talking from experience hence the reason for my particular interest in this topic. The point is to inform.

You are yet to answer this ;

In uni, for engineering students, You do induction and You are part of the NSE(Nigeria Society of Engineers)..is that also applicable to Poly Grads?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 7:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

It's totally normal for polytechnics to do more practicals than universities. But, you can understand that without those theories, practicals will be somewhat awkward and unsafe

You are missing my point again. No one is saying theories are irrelevant. They are the foundation upon which practical knowlede is built. That's why there is 40% theoretical content in Polytechnic curriculum. What I disagree with is the notion that Polytechnic students are not smart enough to handle advanced mathematics and complex engineering calculations as insinuated by you and basilo101. Those aspects of engineering are not just emphasised in Polytechnics like Universities because of the disparity in focus, philosophy and purpose of the two institutions.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
@soyedele.
So if i have an hnd in biomedical engineering, i still need to take this "bridge" called pgd to get an msc in biomedical engineering.

Meanwhile, if i have a b. Eng in biomass engineering, i won't take this "bridge" when i need an msc in biomass engineering.

With this analogies, which one is better?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
presher: if u reach level 13 in civil service with hnd you will not be placed in the adminstrative cadre unless you get msc
most people that study hnd in nigeria are not well advised

Well I think that is their biggest undoing. HND holders seem to accept society's opinion about them and just settle for less. I don't see why they can't push further and go for Pgds and msc.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by hardbody: 7:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Please, if World Educational Services (WES), a US educational evaluation agency could evaluate a Nigerian HND certificate and say it is equivalent to a 4-year Bsc Degree, what then is the problem of Nigeria and Nigerians? Many HND holders have had their transcripts evaluated by WES and the outcomes have been that the Nigerian HND is equivalent to a Bsc Degree. What then is making Nigeria to still discriminate against Nigerian HND holders? Try evaluating ur Bsc or HND certificate with www.wes.org and see. Or, is it that they don't know what they are doing?

Thank God I chose a course that is neither taken as a diploma course whether ordinary or higher nor is it subject to evaluation, you are either a lawyer or not. So simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

"Missing OAU Law Student" Found!!! / Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? / No Bra, No Entry - Delta Poly Lecturer Chases Defaulters From Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.