Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong (6952 Views)

Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 1:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:

If u tell me dt Luk 4:15 doesnt apply to us again, is it not also d word of Jesus? As u described, we ar to carry out every word from d Master. How will those b done away wit and others remain. I think from ur explanations all should remain. 2 Corith 3 never categorize Law, it called it one name: Moses. And he said its Law of condemnation, sin and death.

If u believ Christ supported tithing, isnt it clear here dt he supported animal sacrifice too?I won t agree wit u neglectin a part of it in d name of it was done away wit. The truth is, two laws cant exist side by side. Thr is a law of sin and death in Moses and a law of Spirit of life in Christ. Its not a modification, or upgrade, its a total annulment of old for d new. It amazed me why we still see d Law of d Spirit side by side wit d Moses, They dont even resemble each other. In applications, effects, consequence, judgment etc. Do u compare all ds to kno d difference? Mayb u should.

Also, can u tell me, of wat Law do u live by? Law of d Spirit or Law of Moses?

On Matt 23:23; Someone already told u wat d weightier things of d Law were as said by Jesus. But do u actually think those are d same as in d Law of d Spirit? Do u think the weightier thing (love) as given in d Law of Moses is d same as given by d Spirit of life? See wat d Law says about love:

Matt 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. (Ds is wat d Law called Love)

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (Ds is wat d Spirit calls Love).

How is d above d same message, law, instructions, commandments? How? How is Moses (moral law) as u called it d same as Christ Law. How?

At d end of d tunnel of Moses thr resides d Light, d Spirit and God. Until we reach such end we mit not b able to differentiate btw d Spirit and Moses.

.. let mie ask you, in matt 23v 23, the weightier matters of the law Jesus was talking about, do they still apply to you today or is it discarded?If u can't answer any, pls answer my last question. Thank you

Pls answer me first
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Princewell2012(m): 1:51pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gombs: The Teachings of Jesus

By the time of Jesus, the great moral principles God had given to Moses in the Ten Commandments had been turned into hundreds of ceremonial rules. People thought they were living holy lives if they just obeyed all those rules. But Jesus disagreed. He said people found enough "loopholes" to obey all the rules and still live wicked and greedy lives (Matthew 23:23-28).

Jesus made one statement about the Law that often causes confusion:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

Christians have struggled to understand exactly what Jesus meant. At first reading, this seems to say that all the Old Testament rules and rituals must still be observed. But Jesus and His disciples did not observe many of those rules and rituals, so it could not mean that.

It is frequently pointed out that the term "the Law" could have many different meanings at the time of Jesus:

The ceremonial laws including "clean" and "unclean" lists, sacrifices, dietary restrictions, ritual washings, etc.
The civil law regulating social behavior and specifying crimes, punishments and other rules
The moral and ethical laws, such as the Ten CommandmentsThe Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible)
The scribal law - the 600+ rules formulated by the scribes that everyone was expected to obey
The Scripture as a whole

[size=16pt] Jesus did not abolish the moral and ethical laws that had been in effect from the time of Moses. [/size] He affirmed and expanded upon those principles, but He said obedience must be from the heart (attitudes and intentions) rather than just technical observance of the letter of the law (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32, 33-34, 38-42, 43-44, etc.).

However, Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict scribal rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14,Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18). Neither did they perform the ritual hand washings before eating (Matthew 15:1-2). In contrast to the dietary rules of the Law, Jesus said no food can defile a person; it is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Jesus frequently criticized the scribal laws (Matthew 23:23, Mark 7:11-13) and some aspects of the civil law (John 8:3-5, 10-11). [size=16pt] Therefore, Jesus was specifically teaching that the moral and ethical laws in the Scripture would endure until the end of time. [/size]

That would be consistent with His actions and other teachings. Through His teachings and actions, Jesus revealed the true meaning and intent of the Law.It is also pointed out that Jesus, Himself, is the fulfillment of the Law (Matthew 26:28, Mark 10:45, Luke 16:16, John 1:16, Acts 10:28,13:39, Romans 10:4)  The sacrifice of Jesus on the cross ended forever the need for animal sacrifices and other aspects of the ceremonial law.

@joagbaje, yeah, ethics and moral laws are principles of God, they are not abolished, and like u rightly pointed out, conscience and other yardsticks folks wanna use to justify their acts would ALWAYS end in error, the law is th e foundation of right and wrong. Folks esp anti tithers say the law is completely abolished, just to nullify tithing, but the fail to see that when Paul asked Timothy to study, it was actually the law of Moses, ethics and morals, not ceremonial cleasing or scribal law etc. They say the law is completely abolished, but they don't have sexx with their siblings or infants, just because "conscience" is at work, forgetting that terrorist who bomb up pple have the their own form of conscience, which to them is right... some folks who never had any form of upbringing thinks it is right to kill who ever pisses them off, that is his conscience...what then? It all ends in error without the foundation in the law....the laws of the western world were crafted outta tye Bible (laws of moses)...be it death penalty, laws against rape, inbreeding, murder, robbery etc. How then do we reconcil the fact that the law is completely abolished with the fact that its moral and ethical stance arenvery much operational today and acceptable to God?

And as u rightly pointed out again, the only issue with the law, the only problem with is was that it cannot bring justification for anybody... hewbrews 7:11 and 19, they said, the Law never made anything perfect, that's why Jesus had to come, to get us that perfection. No wonder he said he didn't come to abolish the law.

The fact is that we are NO LONGER under the law, simply because it made nothing perfect, not because it is not Good (paul said in rom7v7 that the law is not sinful, in other words, the law of God is not identical to sin)

I look forward to a wonderful session on this topic!
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 1:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
Alwaystrue:

If you could cool down and read what I have been saying from the beginning of my post on this thread, you will understand that I said behind every law of the letter was the law of the Spirit.

The law of the Spirit is 'Do not lust'; the law of the letter is 'Do not commit adultery'. Jesus came to give the full expression, the fulfilment of the law not ANNUL it. Whoever goes ahead to physically commit the adultery ( that is bring to reality the lust in his heart) has placed himself under the law (Gal. 5:18, he is not walking in the Spirit) and needs to run back to Jesus for MERCY and grace to HELP. That us the school master bringing is to Christ like the adulterous woman that Christ said 'Go nd Sin no more'. Commiting physical adultery has consequencess that many suffer from even today.
If the person does not carry out the lust, he has still sinned in God's eyes and needs to ask for forgiveness from God.

Ok, from ur explanation above lets do a Q and A. Who is a sinner (brother A or B or both) and according to wat Law?

Questions
1. Brother A lust towards his neighbour's wife but couldnt commit adultery
2. Brother B lust and ended up commiting adultery with his neighbour's wife?

Answers (which i believ u support)
1. Brother A is not a sinner according to Law of Moses but he is a sinner according to d law of d Spirit.
2. Brother B is a sinner even b4 d act according to d Spirit but could b justified by Moses if he hasn't action ed it.

Now, sister. If two countries run ds two laws seperately, will u say they are d same or alike? If country A which supported Moses b4 changed thr law to d Spirit, will they still b bound by Moses instructions again? Sister, in our time, well trained lawyer will win d case in court if his country runs Moses law and his client was to be condemned by just lusting. He will be set free.

Dts exactly wat Spirit and Moses is about. Two distinct Laws in applications, consequences, judgments.

Do u kno wat it means to fulfil d Law as Jesus said? D law needed fulfillment for righteousness to b available thru faith.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Rom 8:
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: {for sin: or, by a sacrifice for sin}
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Dts fulfilling d Law. He satisfied, settled it, wit all its requirements for u and me. Its fulfilled, obsolete, passed away and gave way to d Law of d Spirit of Life, the Law of God, d glorious Law of liberty. Whr we love All (including our enemies) not just our neighbour as Moses gave, whr we pray for them dt hurt and persecute us, whr we giv not becos we are bargaining to be blessed (as given in Moses) but because He has blessed us, whr we dont lust (as allowed by Moses) after another but filled wit d Spirit. I can go on and on.

Everytime i see d Law of d Spirit, i see d inadequacy of Moses to hav existed side by side wit it, i see clearly d reason of its fulfillment and annulment in Christ.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Princewell2012(m): 1:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
[quote author=Gombs]The Teachings of Jesus

By the time of Jesus, the great moral principles God had given to Moses in the Ten Commandments had been turned into hundreds of ceremonial rules. People thought they were living holy lives if they just obeyed all those rules. But Jesus disagreed. He said people found enough "loopholes" to obey all the rules and still live wicked and greedy lives (Matthew 23:23-28).

Jesus made one statement about the Law that often causes confusion:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

Christians have struggled to understand exactly what Jesus meant. At first reading, this seems to say that all the Old Testament rules and rituals must still be observed. But Jesus and His disciples did not observe many of those rules and rituals, so it could not mean that.

It is frequently pointed out that the term "the Law" could have many different meanings at the time of Jesus:

The ceremonial laws including clean" and "unclean" lists, sacrifices, dietary restrictions, ritual washings, etc.
The civil law regulating social behavior and specifying crimes, punishments and other rules
The moral and ethical laws, such as the Ten CommandmentsThe Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible)
The scribal law - the 600+ rules formulated by the scribes that everyone was expected to obey
The Scripture as a whole

[size=16pt] Jesus did not abolish the moral and ethical laws that had been in effect from the time of Moses. [/size] He affirmed and expanded upon those principles, but He said obedience must be from the heart (attitudes and intentions) rather than just technical observance of the letter of the law (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32, 33-34, 38-42, 43-44, etc.).

However, Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict scribal rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14,Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18). Neither did they perform the ritual hand washings before eating (Matthew 15:1-2). In contrast to the dietary rules of the Law, Jesus said no food can defile a person; it is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Jesus frequently criticized the scribal laws (Matthew 23:23, Mark 7:11-13) and some aspects of the civil law (John 8:3-5, 10-11). [size=16pt] Therefore, Jesus was specifically teaching that the moral and ethical laws in the Scripture would endure until the end of time. [/size]

That would be consistent with His actions and other teachings. Through His teachings and actions, Jesus revealed the true meaning and intent of the Law.It is also pointed out that Jesus, Himself, is the fulfillment of the Law (Matthew 26:28, Mark 10:45, Luke 16:16, John 1:16, Acts 10:28,13:39, Romans 10:4)  The sacrifice of Jesus on the cross ended forever the need for animal sacrifices and other aspects of the ceremonial law.

@joagbaje, yeah, ethics and moral laws are principles of God, they are not abolished, and like u rightly pointed out, conscience and other yardsticks folks wanna use to justify their acts would ALWAYS end in error, the law is th e foundation of right and wrong. Folks esp anti tithers say the law is completely abolished, just to nullify tithing, but the fail to see that when Paul asked Timothy to study, it was actually the law of Moses, ethics and morals, not ceremonial cleasing or scribal law etc. They say the law is completely abolished, but they don't have sexx with their siblings or infants, just because "conscience" is at work, forgetting that terrorist who bomb up pple have the their own form of conscience, which to them is right... some folks who never had any form of upbringing thinks it is right to kill who ever pisses them off, that is his conscience...what then? It all ends in error without the foundation in the law....the laws of the western world were crafted outta tye Bible (laws of moses)...be it death penalty, laws against rape, inbreeding, murder, robbery etc. How then do we reconcil the fact that the law is completely abolished with the fact that its moral and ethical stance arenvery much operational today and acceptable to God?

And as u rightly pointed out again, the only issue with the law, the only problem with is was that it cannot bring justification for anybody... hewbrews 7:11 and 19, they said, the Law never made anything perfect, that's why Jesus had to come, to get us that perfection. No wonder he said he didn't come to abolish the law.

The fact is that we are NO LONGER under the law, simply because it made nothing perfect, not because it is not Good (paul said in rom7v7 that the law is not si
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 2:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gombs:

Pls answer me first

Is it not on Matt 23:23?
I hav already answered u in d post u quoted from. Its here again.

On Matt 23:23; Someone already told u wat d weightier things of d Law were as said by Jesus. But do u actually think those are d same as in d Law of d Spirit? Do u think the weightier thing (love) as given in d Law of Moses is d same as given by d Spirit of life? See wat d Law says about love:

Matt 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. (Ds is wat d Law called Love)

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (Ds is wat d Spirit calls Love).

How is d above d same message, law, instructions, commandments? How? How is Moses (moral law) as u called it d same as Christ Law. How?

At d end of d tunnel of Moses thr resides d Light, d Spirit and God. Until we reach such end we mit not b able to differentiate btw d Spirit and Moses.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 2:16pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:

Is it not on Matt 23:23?
I hav already answered u in d post u quoted from. Its here again.

the weightier matters of the law Jesus was talking about, do they still apply to you today or is it discarded?

Seems u have a problem with answering simple direct kweshun... grin
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 2:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gombs:

Seems u have a problem with answering simple direct kweshun... grin

Well if u cant see my stand in those post i will giv u a simple one.

I dont live by d Law of Moses (sin and death) nor d weightier of it, they are done away wit. I live by d Law of d Spirit of Life.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:
Was right and wrong known in d days of Adam, Noah, Enoch, Abraham etc without such Law of sin and death given? Did they kno right/wrong or not?

There was no written document . Information about God was handed down with mouth . It has it's own challenge .

Genesis 18:19
For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Documents remains without alteration .the law of Moses put all together both the one handed down by mouth and the one pened down at Gods instruction .

The issue is not about being a law for us but rather foundational principles and references. A new creation has no commandment to obey but he is a doer of the principles in the word.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 2:37pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:

Well if u cant see my stand in those post i will giv u a simple one.

I dont live by d Law of Moses (sin and death) nor d weightier of it, they are done away wit. I live by d Law of d Spirit of Life.

Jesus said
...and have omitted the [size=16pt] weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: [/size] these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

By ur abv post...faith, mercy and justice is discarded....weldone o... remember folks of old had faith, eg david, joshua, ...folks of old too had justice and mercy too.

Congratulations!
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 2:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gombs: .. remember folks of old had faith, eg david, joshua, justice and mercy too..they and others had it too...

Congratulations!

Abraham was the father of faith. And we took after him na.

Galatians 3:7
Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Romans 4:12
And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 2:48pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gombs:

Jesus said
...and have omitted the [size=16pt] weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: [/size] these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

By ur abv post...faith, mercy and justice is discarded....weldone o... remember folks of old had faith, eg david, joshua, ...folks of old too had justice and mercy too.

Congratulations!

Not too good hiding behind ppl's statement without putting any forth.

I will ask u to go and make comparison of d below then u can come back.

MERCY/LOVE: Are d definition and content of Mercy/Love according to Moses (weightier Law) same as dt of d Law of d Spirit?
JUDGMENT: Are d definition and content of Judgment according to Moses (weightier Law) same as dt of d Law of d Spirit?
FAITH: Are d definition and content of Faith according to Moses (weightier Law) same as dt of d Law of d Spirit?

Do check very well, Christ definition of Love, Mercy, Faithfulness, Judgment. I bet u will find d Law of Moses wanting in all.

If u still see d Law of d Spirit as amendment, continuation or modification of Moses, that will b a serious matter o.

I dont live by such inadequacy of Moses's Law but by Christ New Law (Law of d Spirit).

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 2:52pm On Jan 06, 2014
Joagbaje:

Abraham was the father of faith. And we took after him na.

Galatians 3:7
Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Romans 4:12
And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Did d Law of Moses ever talked about Faith? If u study Matt 23:23 well, u will kno wat it refers to.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 2:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
Joagbaje:

There was no written document . Information about God was handed down with mouth . It has it's own challenge .

Genesis 18:19
For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Documents remains without alteration .the law of Moses put all together both the one handed down by mouth and the one pened down at Gods instruction .

The issue is not about being a law for us but rather foundational principles and references. A new creation has no commandment to obey but he is a doer of the principles in the word.

U quoted ds passage in ur Op

Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

Ds d same reason dt d Moses' Law couldnt b foundation of R/W for believers. Its a path to condemnation.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 3:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
guess this has been discuss exhaustively... I'd however watch from the sidelines. Would be away for a large part of today though...ajayi, thanks for you time and civil nature.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 3:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:

Did d Law of Moses ever talked about Faith? If u study Matt 23:23 well, u will kno wat it refers to.

The subject of discussion is not faith . Its about the condemnation of the law and the old testament scriptures.

My point is that the law is still very relevance because it contains foundational principles . Early apostles quoted from the law because the only scripture they had was the law and prophets .

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So if you take away the Old Testament . You have taken away the scriptures
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:

Yes..The passover was kept by Faith..Ex 12:21 in reference to Heb 11:28..The patriachs were justified by Faith not by Law...Do go beyond the letters abeg..

What you are insinuating here is that we should discard the whole torah from Genesis to Malachi because the are of a different era. And we shouldn't glean any principles from them.

If your christianinty is limited to only new testament epistles which according to you started from acts of the apostle then i wish you luck.

These are books i read in 2days and i still hungry for more sef....
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:

U quoted ds passage in ur Op

Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

Ds d same reason dt d Moses' Law couldnt b foundation of R/W for believers. Its a path to condemnation.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
:

What scripture did the early church have to study?

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 3:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
Joagbaje:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
:

What scripture did the early church have to study?

Dey won't answer this....dey won't
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 3:52pm On Jan 06, 2014
Bidam: Yes..The passover was kept by Faith..Ex 12:21 in reference to Heb 11:28..The patriachs were justified by Faith not by Law...Do go beyond the letters abeg..

What you are insinuating here is that we should discard the whole torah from Genesis to Malachi because the are of a different era. And we shouldn't glean any principles from them.

If your christianinty is limited to only new testament epistles which according to you started from acts of the apostle then i wish you luck.

These are books i read in 2days and i still hungry for more sef....

Bro, that's why I wanted to stay at the sidelines...we've asked this in the 1st page, they wont answer you...their best is to throw another question at u or simply say, they dont wanna derail. Romans 15v4 says

AMP:For whatever was thus written in former days was written for our instruction, that by [our steadfast and patient] endurance and the encouragement [drawn] from the Scriptures we might hold fast to and cherish hope.

Same Paul writing ...the key word is FROM THE SCRIPTURES. ..twas same Scripture he told Timothy to study...and here some folks are saying it is completely abolished
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Zikkyy(m): 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2014
Bidam: I am in line..

How can you be in line when you are posting out of point? what has "is the bible the word of God" gat to do with my comment that there will be confusion in church the day pastor present a bible containing the gospel according to apostle joagbaje?

Bidam:
You are the guy here shifting the goal post.

How? did you read me changing my original statement?

Bidam:
Ofcos you have forgotten that it is not everything in the bible that is the word of God.bible simply means goodnews.

because you are of the view not everything written in the bible is the word of God, joagbaje can add his gospel to the bible abi? BTW are you now saying joagbaje can also include his own gospel even though it has nothing to do with God? grin i believe that is what you meant when you said "Ofcos you have forgotten that it is not everything in the bible that is the word of God"
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by mbaemeka(m): 3:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:
Bro morning. Pls dont bring in dt part of tithe as mentioned in d Law existed b4 d Law. Its always good to make clear distinction on time and purpose of instructions as given in d bible.
D Op made it clear in his title dt no man (including believers) can kno d right and wrong outside Moses Law. Dts pure error. And linking dt wit tithe and offering issues again is open insincerity on d Op's side and dts wat u ar doing too.
Was right and wrong known in d days of Adam, Noah, Enoch, Abraham etc without such Law of sin and death given? Did they kno right/wrong or not?

Joagbaje has already answered you. God already handed down instructions to Adam and co by mouth or in any way audible. A case in point was the do not eat out of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil instruction he gave to Adam. Subsequently he gave moses the law which he had to write down. The law became an avenue to know the dos and don't s of God. Paul explained that in Romans 3:19-20. The law contained moral and ethical principles that are still relevant today especially in showing what is right and wrong. The apostles made reference to it. They encouraged their followers to do like wise.

Is this even a discussion?

Jesus didn't abolish the law. He came to fulfill it thereby ushering us into God's only plan for righteousness - through him. We cannot teach or believe otherwise. It foments some of the errors we see today- gay marriages and what not.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Zikkyy(m): 4:08pm On Jan 06, 2014
Joagbaje:
My point is that the law is still very relevance because it contains foundational principles .

The law is relevant for the following categories of peeps.....

"lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine"
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 4:14pm On Jan 06, 2014
mba emeka:

Joagbaje has already answered you. God already handed down instructions to Adam and co by mouth or in any way audible. A case in point was the do not eat out of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil instruction he gave to Adam. Subsequently he gave moses the law which he had to write down. The law became an avenue to know the dos and don't s of God. Paul explained that in Romans 3:19-20. The law contained moral and ethical principles that are still relevant today especially in showing what is right and wrong. The apostles made reference to it. They encouraged their followers to do like wise.

Jesus didn't abolish the law. He came to fulfill it thereby ushering us into God's only plan for righteousness - through him. We cannot teach or believe otherwise. It foments some of the errors we see today- gay marriages and what not.

Gbam

Romans 3v 20
AMP: For no person will be justified (made righteous, acquitted, and judged acceptable) in His sight by observing the works prescribed by the Law. [size=16pt] For [the real function of] the Law is to make men recognize and be conscious of sin [not mere perception, but an acquaintance with sin which works toward repentance, faith, and holy character][/size]

The op has said same about the bold...and for the enlarged, that's exactly what the op meant when he said conscience aint enough, cos it would end in error (Bible said, NOT MERE PERCEPTION)...And I hope they see what Paul said about what the law was supposed to achieve.... hence the law is still very relevant, and conversely, not completely abolished
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2014
Zikkyy:

How can you be in line when you are posting out of point? what has "is the bible the word of God" gat to do with my comment that there will be confusion in church the day pastor present a bible containing the gospel according to apostle joagbaje?

How? did you read me changing my original statement?

because you are of the view not everything written in the bible is the word of God, joagbaje can add his gospel to the bible abi? BTW are you now saying joagbaje can also include his own gospel even though it has nothing to do with God? grin i believe that is what you meant when you said "Ofcos you have forgotten that it is not everything in the bible that is the word of God"
oK..IF YOUR HEADACHE is cured.. you can come back to the main gist of the thread. cheesy
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Zikkyy(m): 4:38pm On Jan 06, 2014
Bidam: oK..IF YOUR HEADACHE is cured.. you can come back to the main gist of the thread. cheesy

yes o. knowing that you have nothing to say cured my headache grin
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 06, 2014
Zikkyy:

yes o. knowing that you have nothing to say cured my headache grin
Silence speaks volumes.. grin
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2014
Jesus said, “For whoever shall be ashamed of me and my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels.” (Luke 9:26; also Mark 8:38), cheesy
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 5:54pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gombs: guess this has been discuss exhaustively... I'd however watch from the sidelines. Would be away for a large part of today though...ajayi, thanks for you time and civil nature.

I appreciate d spirit here too. Tanx bro.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
Joagbaje:

The subject of discussion is not faith . Its about the condemnation of the law and the old testament scriptures.

My point is that the law is still very relevance because it contains foundational principles . Early apostles quoted from the law because the only scripture they had was the law and prophets .

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So if you take away the Old Testament . You have taken away the scriptures

If u still by now wont get wat i m discussing, i think i will hang it thr. My explanation of d distinctn btw d two were clearer than d noonday. If a believer feel he is under d reign of d law of sin and death, then let him enjoy it, whn Light shall come, he will kno d spirit he is made off.

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 6:18pm On Jan 06, 2014
Bidam: Yes..The passover was kept by Faith..Ex 12:21 in reference to Heb 11:28..The patriachs were justified by Faith not by Law...Do go beyond the letters abeg..

Bro, i didnt asked if anyone acted in faith b4 or during d law, which is wat u pointed out. I asked if d law of Moses ever talked about faith? Ppl hav acted on Faith even b4 d Law. But my question is does d Law asked/talked about it? And d love and judgement d Law talked about, is it d same as what Jesus taught and wat is written in ur heart today as a believer?

I didnt say it, d epistles told us according to 2Corith 3.
Wat we hav today as believers, is d Law of d Spirit and its never ever d same as Moses.
From ur own bible study, if u could call Moses and Jesus to a debate to explain thr understanding about thr Laws (Moses and Christ), do u think they will align? For example.

1. Do u think MURDER has d same definition in d mind of Christ as it is in mind of Moses?
2. What about love, will they hav given u same explanation/definition?
3. What about justice, mercy, faith etc.

Jesus didnt modify Moses o, He gav us a new one (Law, commandment, instructions). he fulfilled Moses and set/laid His own for us to follow.

These are books i read in 2days and i still hungry for more sef....[/b]

I dont understand d above o, but i understand dt a Christian lives by d Law of d Spirit of Life. Can u tell me wat u live by? Law of d Spirit of Life or Law of sin and death?

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by ajayikayod: 6:44pm On Jan 06, 2014
mba emeka:

Bro, d Law given to Adam, Abraham, Cain etc, were they d Law of Moses? Dont mix up all God's instructions as d law of Moses.

2ndly, u said Jesus fulfilled d Law not abolished it? U mit need to study on wat Jesus meant b4 reach such conclusion. Or was Jesus contradicting Paul (2 Corith 3)? To help, as i ve written b4, Jesus fulfilled, settled, accomplished d Law of Moses for u and me, for our righteousness as written in Rom 8:3-4, Gal 3:23-25. Afterwards we were freed from d schoolmaster (law of Moses) and translated to a kingdom whr d Law of d Spirit reigns.

Let me help put dt verse in a very easy meaning.
KJV: Matt 5:17 17 --Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Meaning: Think not dt i came to destroy (banish, to tell u its bad and evil) but i hav come to fulfill (complete, satisfy, accomplish) its requirements.

Do u remember Rom 10:4 4 For Christ is the end (termination, finality) of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. After dt, he gave u a New Law, Christ Law, Law of d Spirit of Life. Dts wat we live by now bro.

If u refuse to lust after a lady. Bro, u r not obeying d Law of Moses, but d Law of Christ. Moses allowed u to lust continually provided u dont act.
If u love ur enemies and pray for them. Bro, u r not in d Law of Moses then, dts d Spirit of Life at work in u. Moses told us to take eye for eye.

Do u see d difference? Its thin but clear.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
ajayikayod:
Do u remember Rom 10:4 4 For Christ is the end (termination, finality) of the law for righteousness

That's the point you are missing which has been Adresssed in the opening post.

The law is good and it's law of God. The moral value there are principles in Gods kindom .But the law CAN NOT MAKE A MAN RIGHTEOYS . I have addressed this over and over. We don't go to the law to make us right . We are justified by faith through grace. But The moral Godly character the law contains are valid . If a christian lack knowledge of scriptures of the Old Testament which are for our learning.

In The law we can see principles and values . Christian that lack knowledge of the Old Testament have missed a foundation. Because what the early church had as scriptures was the law and prophets .( Old Testament )

Whoever throw this away will run into the error of lacking the sense of right and wrong.

The whole scripture is given for doctrine . The epistles were not scriptures in the early church . The apostles made the Gentiles study the law and prophets . The law is a reference point and a foundation .

By this I am not talking down the epistles because the epistle are upgrades . The highest revelation in the epistle is "christ in you and your union and oneness with christ " which the law doesn't contain.. I'm not comparing the law with the epistle .the apostles had good foundational understanding of the principles revealed in the law,

I asked a question which I'm yet to have an answer . If a man has carnal knowledge of his own daughter is it a sin? If it is who says so. The foundation is in the law. The only ground paul could condemn the action of a brother who had carnal knowledge of his fathers wife was because it was condemned in the law .

Ephesians 6:2
Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink

Why would paul quote a law like this for Gentiles who never knew the law ? It's because they were made to study it. Paul still studies the scrolls till he died.

So if someone comes to condemn such scriptures it's an error . Knowing the law It's a foundation for doctrine .

[color=#5500002]Timothy 3:16
[/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Confession Of Sins From 1 John 1:9 - Gabriel Okocha / The Modern Church Of Satan / Behold one of World's largest 100,000 Capacity Church Of Living Faith Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.