Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong (6941 Views)

Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Image123(m): 1:34pm On Jan 08, 2014
Gombs:

Ok.... o....but from the romantic gesture of atheists and anti tithers, and for image 123 to point it out, I tire sef, wish the links were present, if he edited it, we'd still know....I just hope image123 wud breeze in and say what triggered his post

The general disposition(body language, lol) of antitithers triggered the post. Drumb for instance takes tithers as religious law keepers, and he compared atheists with such here

https://www.nairaland.com/1540233/inviting-tithers-theological-discuss-miwerds/19#20397358

He later went on to refer to that fellow as " an individual who does not have a head knowledge of scriptures but a heart one also"
Well, was not hoping to 'expose' him or any such thing. Hopefully, we all yield to corrections.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Image123(m): 2:41pm On Jan 08, 2014
Goshen360: "I have not come to abolish the law but to fulfill them" confusion. ...coming soon.

Jesus broke mosaic law and yet, he didn't sin....coming soon.

How come sin is the transgression or breaking of the law, yet, Jesus broke the law but didn't sin. You're staring the eyes of the One who gave the law to moses and you thinking you can use the law he gave against him. cheesy

Hoping to be aware if these coming soons happen.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by asco15(m): 4:20pm On Jan 08, 2014
Romans 8:4 ' that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit.
what other explanation are we looking for, Jesus Christ came and gave us the grace that we needed to observe the law of God,which we were unable to observe by our own flesh alone.
If u like continue in ur sins and wait 4 grace 2 take u 2 heaven, remember no one can see God witout holiness. Heb.12:14.

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by DrummaBoy(m): 7:03pm On Jan 08, 2014
Image123:

The general disposition(body language, lol) of antitithers triggered the post. Drumb for instance takes tithers as religious law keepers, and he compared atheists with such here

https://www.nairaland.com/1540233/inviting-tithers-theological-discuss-miwerds/19#20397358

He later went on to refer to that fellow as " an individual who does not have a head knowledge of scriptures but a heart one also"
Well, was not hoping to 'expose' him or any such thing. Hopefully, we all yield to corrections.

@Image123

Can you please enlighten me more on exactly what you are trying to correct through your "correction".

As I can see that you have finally "learnt" to quote me correctly; probably following my own "correction" of your post where you unfortunately tried to paint me in another light by inventing the lie that I said "atheists are better than tithers".

I am still waiting for you and Bidam to provide the post where I made that statement and if you guyz cannot, you could save your "correction(s)" for yourselves.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Image123(m): 9:14pm On Jan 08, 2014
DrummaBoy:

@Image123

Can you please enlighten me more on exactly what you are trying to correct through your "correction".

As I can see that you have finally "learnt" to quote me correctly; probably following my own "correction" of your post where you unfortunately tried to paint me in another light by inventing the lie that I said "atheists are better than tithers".

I am still waiting for you and Bidam to provide the post where I made that statement and if you guyz cannot, you could save your "correction(s)" for yourselves.

saved sir.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Alwaystrue(f): 7:48am On Jan 09, 2014
Why You Can Depend on God's Word (2)

Thursday, 09 January 2014

'...The Word of God which...effectively works in you...' 1 Thessalonians 2:13 NKJV

Observe two things:

(1) God's Word is inspired. Chuck Swindoll writes: 'We've no problem with the Giver of truth...but wasn't the truth corrupted when He relayed it through sinful men? This is the perfect moment to get acquainted with REVELATION, INSPIRATION and ILLUMINATION. Revelation occurred when God gave His truth, inspiration when writers received and recorded it, and illumination when we understand and apply it. Your confidence in the Bible is directly related to your confidence in its inspiration. How can we be sure it's error-free and trustworthy? Paul provides help answering this question: All Scripture is inspired by God...for teaching...showing people what is wrong in their lives... correcting faults, and for teaching how to live right. (2 Timothy 3:16 NCV) When God revealed His truth to human writers He breathed out His Word. When we dictate a letter we breathe out a message and someone else types it. So did the writers simply take dictation? If you know much about the Bible you realise... Peter doesn't sound like John. John doesn't sound like David. Somehow each writer's personality was preserved without corrupting the text...That rules out the idea of dictation. Peter says, ...No...Scripture ever came from the prophet's own understanding, or...human initiative... [They] were moved by the Holy Spirit, and...spoke from God. (2 Peter 1:20-21 NLT) That answers that question!

(2) It'll hold you up. When you go through chaotic experiences, God's Word gives you stability. No other counsel will get you through the long haul. No other truth will help you stand firm in storms of doubt and uncertainty. No other reality will give you the strength you need each day.'

SoulFood: Lev 13:38-14:57, Mt 5:38-48, Ps 3, Prov 1:29-31
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Alwaystrue(f): 8:15am On Jan 09, 2014
Revelation
Hebrews 1:1-2
1 Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets
2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe

God sent His word in Flesh through His Son but the world did not still hearken.
John 5:43
For I have come to you in my Father's name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you gladly welcome them

Inspiration
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right

Illumination
Ephesians 4:18
Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him

Luke 24:45
Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

It is possible to have the revelaed word but no illumination. That is what happened. When the heart is closed, understanding is gone, their is a veil over the eyes.
But thanks to Jesus who removes that veil. Believe Him and His words. Jesus is Wisdom, Light, Life. It is not about professing Him if you cant even believe what He says. You can never go wrong with Jesus. He is the Living Word.
Believe is stronger than the way we see it.
Let us believe.

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by asco15(m): 11:15pm On Jan 09, 2014
@goshen and likes.
Mathew 15:2-3 [b] 2. Why do thy disciples trangress the tradition of the elders? For they wash not their hands when they eat bread. 3. But he answered and said unto them, why do ye also trangress the commandment of God by your tradition?[/]
this shows that Jesus was against the scribes and pharasees for breaking the commandent of God in their tradition,
NB. Jesus did nt steal, lie, or kill as against the commandments of God but he broke the traditions of elders, scribal laws and the ceremonial laws only.
Also, Rom.13:8 'he dat loveth another hath fulfilled the law'
so our grace sud enable us to live the righteousness of the law of God.
So mind u, immoral dressing, makeups/jewelries, drinking alcohol, divorce, anti-tithers etc, are still unrighteousness to God. Beware!!!
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 8:04am On Apr 15, 2015
Alwaystrue:
Revelation
Hebrews 1:1-2
1 Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets
2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe

God sent His word in Flesh through His Son but the world did not still hearken.
John 5:43
For I have come to you in my Father's name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you gladly welcome them

Inspiration
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right

Illumination
Ephesians 4:18
Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him
Luke 24:45
Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

It is possible to have the revelaed word but no illumination. That is what happened. When the heart is closed, understanding is gone, their is a veil over the eyes.
But thanks to Jesus who removes that veil. Believe Him and His words. Jesus is Wisdom, Light, Life. It is not about professing Him if you cant even believe what He says. You can never go wrong with Jesus. He is the Living Word.
Believe is stronger than the way we see it.
Let us believe.

Nice

1 Like

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Joagbaje(m): 10:56pm On Apr 30, 2016
If it's to make a point For illustration
ajayikayod:
I trust God dt whr confusion abounds on NL, Light and direction is much more super aboundin. Bringin clarity to d simple, pullin down every stronghold of religion and establishing right doctrines, teachings, prophecies, insights and revelations not according to d flesh or our human wisdom but dt whic d Spirit breath. Dt His words, instructions, commandments as founded by Christ and confirmed in d epistles may hav full and free expression/course in ds community and our lifes forever.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 9:26am On May 01, 2016
Cc
Olaadegbu
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:59pm On May 02, 2016
Gombs:

Cc

Olaadegbu

How did I miss this thread? The reason we don't understand the nature of the law is because we don't understand the nature of sin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 2:40pm On May 03, 2016
Gombs:
The Teachings of Jesus

By the time of Jesus, the great moral principles God had given to Moses in the Ten Commandments had been turned into hundreds of ceremonial rules. People thought they were living holy lives if they just obeyed all those rules. But Jesus disagreed. He said people found enough "loopholes" to obey all the rules and still live wicked and greedy lives (Matthew 23:23-28).

Jesus made one statement about the Law that often causes confusion:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

Christians have struggled to understand exactly what Jesus meant. At first reading, this seems to say that all the Old Testament rules and rituals must still be observed. But Jesus and His disciples did not observe many of those rules and rituals, so it could not mean that.

It is frequently pointed out that the term "the Law" could have many different meanings at the time of Jesus:

The ceremonial laws including "clean" and "unclean" lists, sacrifices, dietary restrictions, ritual washings, etc.
The civil law regulating social behavior and specifying crimes, punishments and other rules
The moral and ethical laws, such as the Ten CommandmentsThe Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible)
The scribal law - the 600+ rules formulated by the scribes that everyone was expected to obey
The Scripture as a whole

[size=16pt] Jesus did not abolish the moral and ethical laws that had been in effect from the time of Moses. [/size] He affirmed and expanded upon those principles, but He said obedience must be from the heart (attitudes and intentions) rather than just technical observance of the letter of the law (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32, 33-34, 38-42, 43-44, etc.).

However, Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict scribal rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14,Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18). Neither did they perform the ritual hand washings before eating (Matthew 15:1-2). In contrast to the dietary rules of the Law, Jesus said no food can defile a person; it is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Jesus frequently criticized the scribal laws (Matthew 23:23, Mark 7:11-13) and some aspects of the civil law (John 8:3-5, 10-11). [size=16pt] Therefore, Jesus was specifically teaching that the moral and ethical laws in the Scripture would endure until the end of time. [/size]

That would be consistent with His actions and other teachings. Through His teachings and actions, Jesus revealed the true meaning and intent of the Law.It is also pointed out that Jesus, Himself, is the fulfillment of the Law (Matthew 26:28, Mark 10:45, Luke 16:16, John 1:16, Acts 10:28,13:39, Romans 10:4)  The sacrifice of Jesus on the cross ended forever the need for animal sacrifices and other aspects of the ceremonial law.

@joagbaje, yeah, ethics and moral laws are principles of God, they are not abolished, and like u rightly pointed out, conscience and other yardsticks folks wanna use to justify their acts would ALWAYS end in error, the law is th e foundation of right and wrong. Folks esp anti tithers say the law is completely abolished, just to nullify tithing, but the fail to see that when Paul asked Timothy to study, it was actually the law of Moses, ethics and morals, not ceremonial cleasing or scribal law etc. They say the law is completely abolished, but they don't have sexx with their siblings or infants, just because "conscience" is at work, forgetting that terrorist who bomb up pple have the their own form of conscience, which to them is right... some folks who never had any form of upbringing thinks it is right to kill who ever pisses them off, that is his conscience...what then? It all ends in error without the foundation in the law....the laws of the western world were crafted outta tye Bible (laws of moses)...be it death penalty, laws against rape, inbreeding, murder, robbery etc. How then do we reconcil the fact that the law is completely abolished with the fact that its moral and ethical stance arenvery much operational today and acceptable to God?

And as u rightly pointed out again, the only issue with the law, the only problem with is was that it cannot bring justification for anybody... hewbrews 7:11 and 19, they said, the Law never made anything perfect, that's why Jesus had to come, to get us that perfection. No wonder he said he didn't come to abolish the law.

The fact is that we are NO LONGER under the law, simply because it made nothing perfect, not because it is not Good (paul said in rom7v7 that the law is not sinful, in other words, the law of God is not identical to sin)

I look forward to a wonderful session on this topic!

cc
olaadegbu
candour
goshen360
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by promise101: 3:45pm On May 03, 2016
Gombs:
The Teachings of Jesus

By the time of Jesus, the great moral principles God had given to Moses in the Ten Commandments had been turned into hundreds of ceremonial rules. People thought they were living holy lives if they just obeyed all those rules. But Jesus disagreed. He said people found enough "loopholes" to obey all the rules and still live wicked and greedy lives (Matthew 23:23-28).

Jesus made one statement about the Law that often causes confusion:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

Christians have struggled to understand exactly what Jesus meant. At first reading, this seems to say that all the Old Testament rules and rituals must still be observed. But Jesus and His disciples did not observe many of those rules and rituals, so it could not mean that.

It is frequently pointed out that the term "the Law" could have many different meanings at the time of Jesus:

The ceremonial laws including "clean" and "unclean" lists, sacrifices, dietary restrictions, ritual washings, etc.
The civil law regulating social behavior and specifying crimes, punishments and other rules
The moral and ethical laws, such as the Ten CommandmentsThe Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible)
The scribal law - the 600+ rules formulated by the scribes that everyone was expected to obey
The Scripture as a whole

[size=16pt] Jesus did not abolish the moral and ethical laws that had been in effect from the time of Moses. [/size] He affirmed and expanded upon those principles, but He said obedience must be from the heart (attitudes and intentions) rather than just technical observance of the letter of the law (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32, 33-34, 38-42, 43-44, etc.).

However, Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict scribal rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14,Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18). Neither did they perform the ritual hand washings before eating (Matthew 15:1-2). In contrast to the dietary rules of the Law, Jesus said no food can defile a person; it is bad attitudes and actions that can make a person unholy (Matthew 15:1-20, Mark 7:1-23).

Jesus frequently criticized the scribal laws (Matthew 23:23, Mark 7:11-13) and some aspects of the civil law (John 8:3-5, 10-11). [size=16pt] Therefore, Jesus was specifically teaching that the moral and ethical laws in the Scripture would endure until the end of time. [/size]

That would be consistent with His actions and other teachings. Through His teachings and actions, Jesus revealed the true meaning and intent of the Law.It is also pointed out that Jesus, Himself, is the fulfillment of the Law (Matthew 26:28, Mark 10:45, Luke 16:16, John 1:16, Acts 10:28,13:39, Romans 10:4)  The sacrifice of Jesus on the cross ended forever the need for animal sacrifices and other aspects of the ceremonial law.

@joagbaje, yeah, ethics and moral laws are principles of God, they are not abolished, and like u rightly pointed out, conscience and other yardsticks folks wanna use to justify their acts would ALWAYS end in error, the law is th e foundation of right and wrong. Folks esp anti tithers say the law is completely abolished, just to nullify tithing, but the fail to see that when Paul asked Timothy to study, it was actually the law of Moses, ethics and morals, not ceremonial cleasing or scribal law etc. They say the law is completely abolished, but they don't have sexx with their siblings or infants, just because "conscience" is at work, forgetting that terrorist who bomb up pple have the their own form of conscience, which to them is right... some folks who never had any form of upbringing thinks it is right to kill who ever pisses them off, that is his conscience...what then? It all ends in error without the foundation in the law....the laws of the western world were crafted outta tye Bible (laws of moses)...be it death penalty, laws against rape, inbreeding, murder, robbery etc. How then do we reconcil the fact that the law is completely abolished with the fact that its moral and ethical stance arenvery much operational today and acceptable to God?

And as u rightly pointed out again, the only issue with the law, the only problem with is was that it cannot bring justification for anybody... hewbrews 7:11 and 19, they said, the Law never made anything perfect, that's why Jesus had to come, to get us that perfection. No wonder he said he didn't come to abolish the law.

The fact is that we are NO LONGER under the law, simply because it made nothing perfect, not because it is not Good (paul said in rom7v7 that the law is not sinful, in other words, the law of God is not identical to sin)

I look forward to a wonderful session on this topic!
For the case of the law, and what Jesus meant in that chapter; it has been settled in the link below.
https://www.nairaland.com/3077636/grace-preacher-answer-all-questions#45276306

But, if you are not still satisfied with the answer provided, you are welcomed to ask more question UNTIL you are satisfied. Thank you.
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:52pm On May 03, 2016
Gombs:

cc
olaadegbu
candour
goshen360

I concur with you, joagbaje, Alwaystrue and nlMediator's post especially on the first page. Way to go! cheesy
Re: Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong by Gombs(m): 7:53pm On May 03, 2016
promise101:

For the case of the law, and what Jesus meant in that chapter; it has been settled in the link below.
https://www.nairaland.com/3077636/grace-preacher-answer-all-questions#45276306

But, if you are not still satisfied with the answer provided, you are welcomed to ask more question UNTIL you are satisfied. Thank you.

As you can see, it's dusted properly here, you should take notes.

Please do, you'd be edified even further.

Shalom

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Goliath’s Skull Found In Holy Land! / Why Do People Ignore Or Fear The Supernatural? / Babies Who Come Out The Womb With Their Legs First.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.