Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? (16553 Views)

2019: S/west Leaders Plan Grand Inter-party Coalition / Video: Politics Of Igbo-yoruba Inter-ethnic Marriage / Inter Party Debate Live On TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Adadio: 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2014
I was full of admiration when I visited the home of a retired Nigerian Army General from Abia,and saw first hand the microcosm
of Nigeria on display.The mother of the General hailed from Katsina,the wife partly Yoruba and partly Ijaw.I was amazed
at the harmony in inter personal relationships amongst the inlaws and relations in the large family tree of diverse ethnic groups.
Why can't this harmony be displayed nation wide.A friend of mine emphasized that the NYSC is a better initiative that can better
foster national unity.Why can't we integrate better to form a seamless union?Has the black pigment got something to do with it?
Can we share our experiences or views on this please.

4 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Afam4eva(m): 6:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
I don't think NYSC has achieved the purpose it was created for. Tribalism seems to be on the increase and even those that were sent to serve in other parts of the country only come back with the negatives and spread it which generated more hate...As for inter-tribal marriage, i don't see how that will work. As much as people that are in inter-tribal marriages tend to be less tribalistic but it's usually towards to the ethnic group pf their spouse. What about the over 200 other ethnic groups? Apart from that, are people going to be forced to marry from outside their tribe in the name of unity? I think the best bet is just to enact laws aimed at fostering unity among Nigerians. The laws we have in Nigeria are very divisive in nature.

8 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Adadio: 7:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
Afam4eva: I don't think NYSC has achieved the purpose it was created for. Tribalism seems to be on the increase and even those that were sent to serve in other parts of the country only come back with the negatives and spread it which generated more hate...As for inter-tribal marriage, i don't see how that will work. As much as people that are in inter-tribal marriages tend to be less tribalistic but it's usually towards to the ethnic group pf their spouse. What about the over 200 other ethnic groups? Apart from that, are people going to be forced to marry from outside their tribe in the name of unity? I think the best bet is just to enact laws aimed at fostering unity among Nigerians. The laws we have in Nigeria are very divisive in nature.

I agree with you to a large extent but what laws should be enacted?Do you mean a total overhaul of the 1999 Constiution,or do
we wait for the outcome of the National Dialogue?I just pray we can get it right.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by fr3do(m): 7:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
If we are busy developping our country,we wont think about ethnicity.

6 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by kettykin: 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
The problem of nigeria is neither inter tribal marriages nor NYSC nigeria simply put is not unifiable, most countries like nigeria with more than 2 major ethnic groups and more than 200 minority ethnic groups are either in their divided state or about to like south Sudan, soviet union, former india in 1947 etc

6 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Afam4eva(m): 7:15pm On Jan 05, 2014
Adadio:

I agree with you to a large extent but what laws should be enacted?Do you mean a total overhaul of the 1999 Constiution,or do
we wait for the outcome of the National Dialogue?I just pray we can get it right.
We have to take a cue from America. They're the perfect example of unity. We have to make away with this "State of origin" thingy and other artifacts that are divisive in nature.

2 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Adadio: 7:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
fr3do: If we are busy developping our country,we wont think about ethnicity.

Thanks for your comment fellow compatriot but how can we develop in a hostile environment.Which comes first,
Development or national cohesion?I got this feeling that we got to be free from ethnic distractions before we can
make progress or what do you think.?
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Ikengawo: 7:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
The belief that tribalism is on the increase is laughable. Sometimes we make observations (jonathan is the most criticized president) without realizing that time is a continuously changing reality. There's 'more tribalism' because Nigerians are exposed to and able to create their own media now due to the internet. Nigerians have more outlets to run their mouth now so it's going to seem like there's 'more' of everything that pertains to information and opinion. Tribalism hasn't increased or decreased.

Also, inter-tribal marriages don't end tribalism. I can have sex with date or even marry a yoruba women and still think they as a collective are fools. It doesn't change anything, most Nigerians are sexist but still marry women, and so they're tribalist and still marry other tribes. It also doesn't mean their kids won't be tribalist.

2 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Adadio: 7:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
Ikengawo: The belief that tribalism is on the increase is laughable. Sometimes we make observations (jonathan is the most criticized president) without realizing that time is a continuously changing reality. There's 'more tribalism' because Nigerians are exposed to and able to create their own media now due to the internet. Nigerians have more outlets to run their mouth now so it's going to seem like there's 'more' of everything that pertains to information and opinion. Tribalism hasn't increased or decreased.

Also, inter-tribal marriages don't end tribalism. I can have sex with date or even marry a yoruba women and still think they as a collective are fools. It doesn't change anything, most Nigerians are sexist but still marry women, and so they're tribalist and still marry other tribes. It also doesn't mean their kids won't be tribalist.

The picture you painted above is scary and I do hope is far from reality.Please what can we do collectively as Nigerians to save
our country?I respect your views though.

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
I think if NYSC is manged properly and the original intension vigorously pursued, then it can strengthend national unity! NYSC may lead to inter tribal/ethnic marriages, my own case is an exmple, thru nysc I left my place to another region and I ended up marrying from another region! If I had stayd in my region and marry a woman frm annother region who had come to my region, I wuldnt have understood the other region better as Im now!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Ikengawo: 7:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
It would be nice to have more programs like NYSC. If our unity schools weren't a joke this would have been a good tool for unity.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by CircleOfWilis: 8:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
both!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
Ikengawo: It would be nice to have more programs like NYSC. If our unity schools weren't a joke this would have been a good tool for unity.
I don't see how schemes such as NYSC and related schemes foster unity. It's effect are at best minimal.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by fr3do(m): 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
Adadio:

Thanks for your comment fellow compatriot but how can we develop in a hostile environment.Which comes first,
Development or national cohesion?I got this feeling that we got to be free from ethnic distractions before we can
make progress or what do you think.?

Our disunity doesn't hinder development as much as corruption does.

Individual groups,states,geopolitical zones can always bring about individual development with their little available resources. Take akwa ibom for instance.

The problem isn't disunity,it is corruption

4 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
fr3do:

Our disunity doesn't hinder development as much as corruption does.

Individual groups,states,geopolitical zones can always bring out individual development with their little available resources.

The problem isn't disunity,it is corruption
Disunity is more of a problem than corruption imo. A country can't claim to be a nation if there's gargantuan in-fighting.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by sakalisis(m): 8:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
kettykin: The problem of nigeria is neither inter tribal marriages nor NYSC nigeria simply put is not unifiable, most countries like nigeria with more than 2 major ethnic groups and more than 200 minority ethnic groups are either in their divided state or about to like south Sudan, soviet union, former india in 1947 etc

perfectly on point , only God can unite us
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by AreaFada2: 8:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
Afam4eva:
We have to take a cue from America. They're the perfect example of unity. We have to make away with this "State of origin" thingy and other artifacts that are divisive in nature.

America cannot be an example for us. US is a country of migrants dominated by a culture that evolved from a mix of European cultures.

Whereas each Naija tribe has deep-rooted culture, tradition and mores.

Simply put you're Ibibio, Kanuri, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa etc before you're Nigerian.

NYSC is useless. People mostly bring back hate stories.

Each person cannot marry from 250 tribes so that too is useless.

With development, good living standard, national re-orientation and political maturity, tolerance would improve.

But sadly we have failed on all counts since 53 years.

3 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Alikaxon(m): 8:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter-ethnic marriage How can NYSC foster unity when corp members sent to the NORTH are being bombed, slaughtered and killed? U need to come to the south(DELTA) and see how HAUSA men are living peacefully here. But the case is different in the north. THE NORTHERNERS ARE THE GREATEST TRIBALISTS IN NIGERIA. They could go as far as to kill. UTHMAN DAN FODIO Emanated tribalism of the north by making the controversial statemen. "...we shall use the minorities in the north as willing tools, and the south as conquered territories..." Cogitate that statement...

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by UnknownT: 8:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
NYSC only encourages illegal bleeping of the locals by the corps members. That can never promote national integration. Go to the sexuality section of this forum n see how people are bragging how they fuc.ked their students or the girls of the community, after that they will conclude that that tribe is bad. For me, inter-tribal marriage is better

2 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by geeq01(m): 8:31pm On Jan 05, 2014
Both and with time we will truly be living as 1 Nigeria.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Dygeasy(m): 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
Why I'm Commenting On This Thread I Don't Know undecided
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by empron(m): 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter-ethnic marriages would have been the best to foster unity among us but the way tribalism is going in this country always make me unhappy especially nairaland.i served in the North,I have been working in SS/SE for the past four years, I see no difference between us but politics and greed as made us to hate each other. If our leader fails to lead us, why cant we (youth) come together and do something good, Instead of supporting our recycled politician(APC,PDP and so on) and bashing each other(Yoruba this, Igbo that).
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
Area-Fada:

America cannot be an example for us. US is a country of migrants dominated by a culture that evolved a mix of European cultures.

Simply put you're Ibibio, Kanuri, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa etc before you're Nigerian.

With development, good living standard, national re-orientation and political maturity, tolerance would improve.

When i said America was a standard, i wasn't referring to their ethnic or racial composition but about their constitution that encourages equality and peaceful co-existence.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by olorunthobby(f): 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
---
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Eyop: 8:40pm On Jan 05, 2014
Neither NYSC nor Inter-ethnic marriages can promote national integration. How many Nigerians have access to NYSC and moreover the NYSC stuff is completely useless. As per the Inter-ethnic marriages,that cannot work because we all have different cultures and that makes it difficult to work.

2 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter tribal marriage is much better than NYSC but the best option is to enact a law that is completely intolerant of tribalism.

This law should be enacted and talked about a lot so people can know they have a right to report someone for being a tribalist.

...Well and the tribalist should be dealt with by probably doing some sort of work for the person he insulted.

TBH, I dont find tribalism one bit right.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by ednut1(m): 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2014
dey both hv sometin in common. which is inter ethnic sex hehehe

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 8:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter-ethnic marriages all the way!

If at least 40% of marriages are inter-ethnic, that will automatically solve the disgusting tribal issues we have in the country which I strongly believe is the root cause of Nigeria's problems!

Before the Igbo man insults or victimizes the Yoruba man simply because of tribe, he'd remember that his own mother's father or mother is Yoruba. That will make him shut his trap. Before the Hausa/fulani man thinks of stabbing an Igbo man, he'd remember that his father's mother or father is Igbo. That will automatically clear his madness!
So the cycle goes....
After we have achieved this, the NYSC scheme could then become more enjoyable and useful to all.
Yours sincerly is Akwa-Ibom/Cross River but marrying someone far from my region.
God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
babe_online: Inter tribal marriage is much better than NYSC but the best option is to enact a law that is completely intolerant of tribalism.

This law should be enacted and talked about a lot so people can know they have a right to report someone for being a tribalist.

...Well and the tribalist should be dealt with by probably doing some sort of work for the person he insulted.

TBH, I dont find tribalism one bit right.
I don't see how this is possible. Besides, it's going to be abused and innocent people are going to be punished. How will the authorities prove that someone made a tribalistic comment? I only agree that laws that promote togetherness should be passed.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Willress(m): 8:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
Area-Fada:

America cannot be an example for us. US is a country of migrants dominated by a culture that evolved a mix of European cultures.

Very true by what we need nw is a solution
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by BUSHHUNTER: 8:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
Gimme a chance and i will promote National Integration grin
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter ethnic marriage is definitely the way. Nysc is just a means to steal money that has achieved nothing, if nysc is to achieve anything then it has to come back to inter ethnic marriage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biafra Did Not Surrender – Achuzia / El-zakzaky's Wife Not In Detention, Keeping Her Husband's Company — Presidency / Corruption: Buhari Didn’t Clear SGF – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.