Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,476 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? (16571 Views)

2019: S/west Leaders Plan Grand Inter-party Coalition / Video: Politics Of Igbo-yoruba Inter-ethnic Marriage / Inter Party Debate Live On TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Pamcrest(f): 8:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
Promoting national integration can only start with individual nigerians showing love, respect and care to all around him/her irrespective of race, tribe, colour or creed. A tall order if u ask, what with d ubiquitous tribal, ethnic and religious bigots polluting our environment in all strata of our life.......u dont need to search too far, just check out NL!
Tolerance is the key!
My humble opinion

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Eyop: 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sweetlemon: Inter-ethnic marriages all the way!

If at least 40% of marriages are inter-ethnic, that will automatically solve that tribal issues we have in the country which I strongly believe is the root cause on Nigeria's problems!

Before the Igbo man insults or victimizes the Yoruba man simply because of tribe, he'd remember that his own mother's father or mother is Yoruba. That will make him shut his trap. Before the Hausa/fulani man thinks of stabbing an Igbo man, he'd remember that his father's mother or father is Igbo. That will automatically clear his madness!
So the cycle goes....
After we have achieved this, the NYSC scheme could then become more enjoyable and useful to all.
Yours sincerly is Akwa-Ibom/Cross River but marrying someone far from my region.
God bless Nigeria.

Well said but na your own story be that. I personally as an Ibibio man cannot marry from a tribe that i do not understand their culture,language,etc and so are others. If marrying from another tribe goes down well with an individual all in the name of love,then good and fine for such an individual but for me i love with my head and not my heart.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
You can't alter the romantic prerogatives of millions Nigerians because of National unity.
Marry who you want to marry, that shouldn't affect your sense of equality, fairness and justice.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
Adadio: I was full of admiration when I visited the home of a retired Nigerian Army General from Abia,and saw first hand the microcosm
of Nigeria on display.The mother of the General hailed from Katsina,the wife partly Yoruba and partly Ijaw.I was amazed
at the harmony in inter personal relationships amongst the inlaws and relations in the large family tree of diverse ethnic groups.
Why can't this harmony be displayed nation wide.A friend of mine emphasized that the NYSC is a better initiative that can better
foster national unity.Why can't we integrate better to form a seamless union?Has the black pigment got something to do with it?
Can we share our experiences or views on this please.

OP, I have the feeling that you are talking about General Ike Nwachukwu and for such a man of high calibre, I must admit its the wealth that's keeping them united in his household.

Why talking about inter-tribal marriages when some section of the country due to religion do not give out their daughters for marriage to those that never believe in their religion. With this mindset the idea of inter tribal marriage to strengthen tribal tolerance and harmony is evidently defeated.

NYSC is a political creation by the northerners to empower the northern youths. Graduates from the north are sent to the south(the economic power centre) to have a first hand of the job prospects/opportunities while the southern graduates are sent to a barren north to be maim,killed or harassed.

Nigeria can never be one no matter how we try using artificial make-shift to shore up unity. Nigeria is a fraud of contraptiongrin

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Eyop: 8:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
SeaGold:

OP, I have the feeling that you are talking about General Ike Nwachukwu and for such a man of high calibre, I must admit its the wealth that's keeping them united in his household.

Why talking about inter-tribal marriages when some section of the country due to religion do not give out their daughters for marriage to those that never believe in their religion. With this mindset the idea of inter tribal marriage to strengthen tribal tolerance and harmony is evidently defeated.

NYSC is a political creation by the northerners to empower the northern youths. Graduates from the north are sent to the south(the economic power centre) to have a first hand of the job prospects/opportunities while the southern graduates are sent to a barren north to be maim,killed or harassed.

Nigeria can never be one no matter how we try using artificial make-shift to shore up unity. Nigeria is a fraud of contraptiongrin

Thank you my brother wink
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
Eyop:

Well said but na your own story be that. I personally as an Ibibio man cannot marry from a tribe that i do not understand their culture,language,etc and so are others. If marrying from another tribe goes down well with an individual all in the name of love,then good and fine for such an individual but for me i love with my head and not my heart.

Trust me hon, you ain't loving with/using your head either cos you would have known that merely speaking the same language does NOT make a marriage work.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
[size=24pt]HOW DARE THIS MAKE FP!

ALL PROPAGANDA TO DESTROY OUR TRIBAL PURITY!

BULLSH!T I SPIT AT THIS TOPIC![/size]

[size=24pt]NYSC SHOULD PRESERVE THE TRIBES AND CULTURE!

IT IS FOR LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE TRIBES!

NOT DESTROYING THEM AND SPREADING LUST!

TUFIAKWA![/size]
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Dannylux: 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
It's definitely inter-marriage!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
[size=24pt]IS THIS NATIONAL INTEGRITY OR NATIONAL INTERBREEDING CAMPAIGN?

UNITY IN DIVERSITY!

DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH!
[/size]
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Eyop: 8:59pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Trust me ho, you ain't loving with/using your head either cos you would have known that merely speaking the same language does NOT make a marriage work.

I never stated that speaking same language makes marriages work but to me it's best to understand a particular culture,language,etc before crossing your boundary to talk about marriage.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by wyette: 8:59pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter ethic marriage is good (I'm a staunch supporter). NYSC on the other hand brought me close to many tribes, cultures and customs. If NYSC did not have the inherent flaws which we all know of it would have been a perfect tool to unite our Nigeria
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
[size=24pt]I AM A TRIBESMAN, NOT A HALF-BRED DOG BRED IN THE GUTTER!

I WILL NEVER LET ANYONE IN MY FAMILY MARRY FROM OTHER TRIBE!

WE ARE PROUD HEIRS TO OUR TRIBAL CULTURE![/size]

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
[size=20pt]HASUAWA HAS EXISTED FOR 1000s of years!

NIGERIA HAS EXISTED FOR BARELY 50 YEARS!

WHY SHOULD I DROP A 1000s YR OLD IDENTITY FOR A 50 YEAR OLD CORRUPT ONE?

WHO KNOWS WHEN BORDERS MIGHT CHANGE IN THE FUTURE?

COUNTRIES CAN CHANGE!

RELIGION CAN CHANGE!

TRIBE AND BLOOD WILL NEVER CHANGE!

PROUD MAGUZAWA HAUSA![/size]

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 05, 2014
So if the answer to the above question is Inter-Ethnic marraige, then will we all be forced into marriage after graduation based on our states of origin?

So for example if you graduate, and you come from Delta, your marriage call up letter would indicate that your spouse would be from Kaduna. Or if you are from Ogun, your call up letter might say you must marry a spouse from Anambra.

During your marriage service year, you will be required to work at your spouse parents house in their home state, doing manual chores like fetching buckets of water, cleaning the toilets, and sweeping the compound. However in the process of this, National Unity will be fostered, by your touring of the town when they send you to buy foodstuff for instance, or when you are locked out of the house for being bad.

Upon graduation you and your assigned fiance get married, and just like the heroes that you are, you also managed to solve the problem of National Unity.

NOW IF THIS ALL SOUNDS VERY VERY STUPID TO YOU, THEN SHOULDN'T THE NYSC SCHEME SOUND EQUALLY STUPID TO YOU? A SCHEME WHERE YOU ARE MADE TO TAKE A YEAR OFF YOUR LIFE, IN THE DELUSION THAT SUCH WOULD FOSTER NATIONAL UNITY, WHY DON'T WE ADD ANOTHER YEAR TO FOSTER SOMETHING GOOD ALSO, LIKE NATIONAL INTEGRITY, AND ADD YET ANOTHER YEAR FOR NATIONAL BRILLIANCE.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:05pm On Jan 05, 2014
Eyop:

I never stated that speaking same language makes marriages work but to me it's best to understand a particular culture,language,etc before crossing your boundary to talk about marriage.

And how the heck does a person's culture make love to you, bear you beautiful kids, build your home, manage your resources, cook for you, listen to you when you need someone, advice you when you need advise, pray for you, support you, and do other intimate and great stuff with you. Or are you trying to say that only an Ibibio/Akwa-Ibom woman can offer you all that
Smh
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:09pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sweetlemon:

And how the heck does a person's culture make love to you, bear you beautiful kids, build your home, manage your resources, cook for you, listen to you when you need someone, advice you when you need advise, pray for you, support you, and do other intimate and great stuff with you. Or are you trying to say that only an Ibibio/Akwa-Ibom woman can offer you all that
Smh

YES!

ONLY A PERSON FROM YOUR ETHNIC GROUP CAN UNDERSTAND YOU BEST!

SUCH MARRIAGES HAVE THE LOWEST DIVORCE RATES!

MARRIAGE IS NOT JUST A UNION OF 2 PEOPLE. IT IS THE UNION OF TWO FAMILIES.

NO WONDER THE WHITES KEEP HAVING DIVORCES!

THEY HAVE NO TRIBE AND RELY ON LOVE/LUST RELATIONSHIPS.

WE SHOULD PRESERVE OUR NIGERIAN WAY OF DOING TINZ!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by LordNicvuitton(m): 9:10pm On Jan 05, 2014
Inter ethnic union has never doused d flames of tribalism in Nigeria because our mindsets remain the same.. we are all insane one way or another by thinking that a certain race or tribe is superior to others.. let's change individually and only then can it reflect on our immediate societies.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Eyop: 9:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Smh

So are you trying to tell me that in the whole of Akwabasi-Ibom state that i cannot get an akwa-ibom lady that will bear me beautiful kids,build my home,manage my resources,cook for me,listen to me when i need someone,advice me when i need advice,pray for me,support me, and do other intimate and great stuff with me? My sister it's only an Akwa-ibom lady that can do that for me and i don't need to cross river niger all in the name of marrying a lady. So if you have been able to get that from outside tribe,good and fine for you but like i said earlier on,i am speaking for myself and not for anyone. If it will take me 5yrs to get that special lady then it's worth waiting.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

YES!

ONLY A PERSON FROM YOUR ETHNIC GROUP CAN UNDERSTAND YOU BEST!

SUCH MARRIAGES HAVE THE LOWEST DIVORCE RATES!

MARRIAGE IS NOT JUST A UNION OF 2 PEOPLE. IT IS THE UNION OF TWO FAMILIES.

NO WONDER THE WHITES KEEP HAVING DIVORCES!

THEY HAVE NO TRIBE AND RELY ON LOVE/LUST RELATIONSHIPS.

WE SHOULD PRESERVE OUR NIGERIAN WAY OF DOING TINZ!

Choi!
Lowest divorce gini?
Hehehehehehe
Should I start calling names of Yoruba stars that have divorced? I know many Akwa-Ibom men married to Akwa-Ibom women that sleep around like say tomorrow no dey.
Mbok, many marriages today are just existing on paper only.
Pls you tribalists should learn to think outside the box sometimes, it could save your a.s.s someday!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Adadio: 9:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
SeaGold:

NYSC is a political creation by the northerners to empower the northern youths. Graduates from the north are sent to the south(the economic power centre) to have a first hand of the job prospects/opportunities while the southern graduates are sent to a barren north to

be maim,killed or harassed.

My brother your horizon is wide.I doff my hat for you from Otamkpa Isu3

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 05, 2014
Afam4eva:
I don't see how this is possible. Besides, it's going to be abused and innocent people are going to be punished. How will the authorities prove that someone made a tribalistic comment? I only agree that laws that promote togetherness should be passed.
I agree. I think inter ethnic marriage is the way forward.

Perhaps they can make a show on it to show the positive and negative sides of inter ethnic marriage and what each person found and finds attractive in his or her partner that made her or him choose someone from that region.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by dynatress: 9:25pm On Jan 05, 2014
seriously i tink inter -ethnic marriage is d best choice. I'm a product of that and i love it smiley
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
Eyop:

So are you trying to tell me that in the whole of Akwabasi-Ibom state that i cannot get an akwa-ibom lady that will bear me beautiful kids,build my home,manage my resources,cook for me,listen to me when i need someone,advice me when i need advice,pray for me,support me, and do other intimate and great stuff with me? My sister it's only an Akwa-ibom lady that can do that for me and i don't need to cross river niger all in the name of marrying a lady. So if you have been able to get that from outside tribe,good and fine for you but like i said earlier on,i am speaking for myself and not for anyone. If it will take me 5yrs to get that special lady then it's worth waiting.

Brother dont mind these fellows sef.

They are just trying to brainwash us and break down our society.

You marry Akwa-Ibom Lady. wink
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
dynatress: seriously i tink inter -ethnic marriage is d best choice. I'm a product of that and i love it smiley

^^^Its products like these who are in shyt so they are trying to drag us into their shyt too, with their propaganda.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:28pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Choi!
Lowest divorce gini?
Hehehehehehe
Should I start calling names of Yoruba stars that have divorced? I know many Akwa-Ibom men married to Akwa-Ibom women that sleep around like say tomorrow no dey.
Mbok, many marriages today are just existing on paper only.
Pls you tribalists should learn to think outside the box sometimes, it could save your a.s.s someday!

CMON! PLEASE!

they are STARS!

celebrities are known to have high divorce rates.

However among the common man, this is what works best. Divorce is unheard of among our people.

Go to the villages. They dont even know what is divorce.

Even in the cities, tribal marriages always work.

Its what our ancestors have been doing for ages.

Tribalism is abusing other tribes.

This is not tribalism.

STOP THIS USELESS PROPAGANDA!

We are just trying to protect our own tribes. We are not spreading hate.

Its live and let live.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Eyop:

Akwa-Ibomites/Cross Riverans and even South-southerners are generally not tribalistic. (All my cousins/sisters are married outside Akwa-Ibom) but the few ones who are are so irritatingly disgustingly tribalistic that they don't even consider Cross River as their sister state! Heck! Most tribalistic Akwa-Ibomites do not even consider other tribes in Akwa-Ibom as their brothers and sisters. Tribalistic Ibibios feel superior to other tribes in Akwa-ibom and other tribes do not like Ibibios.
Wtf is that??
So if found a lovely Idoma or Urhobo girl who would love you whether you have 1 naira or N1B you won't marry her simpls because she's not Ibibio but yould rather wait till for another 5-10 yrs until you find an Ibibio girl?
Please tell me how that sounds even in your own ears??
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by chairman: 9:33pm On Jan 05, 2014
Afam4eva:
We have to take a cue from America. They're the perfect example of unity. We have to make away with this "State of origin" thingy and other artifacts that are divisive in nature.
if america had as many ethnic groups and languages as nig they would have been worse than nig, just look at what they did to the indians and the blacks and even the italians. There are way too many different ppl in nig and they rightly see themselves as such, so the problem is not the ppl but those who lumped them together and those forcing them to stay together, your nysc have not achieved anything in terms of unity we all know it and anybody who marries anybody from any part of the earth is supposed to love their spouse and their family no matter whichever part of the earth they married from and not because of their tribe
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by kettykin: 9:37pm On Jan 05, 2014
Fair play , Equity and justice will unite and integrate Nigeria more than NYSC , Inter tribal / inter religious marriages if people like Obasanjo who is known to have married stellah from Edo state and whose son recently married from Ebonyi state ,harbours the kind of bigoted hatred he has for Nigerians from the Niger Delta and the East then inter tribal marriage is simply waste of time.

Another Case is Buhari whom i heard married a Christian lady but whose comments led to the death of so many innocent christians when he lost the 2011 elections , Also is Atiku who married a yoruba and an igbo lady but whose speech after he lost PDP primaries called for the north to make the Nigeria ungovernable for president Jonathan

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
chairman: if america had as many ethnic groups and languages as nig they would have been worse than nig, just look at what they did to the indians and the blacks and even the italians. There are way too many different ppl in nig and they rightly see themselves as such, so the problem is not the ppl but those who lumped them together and those forcing them to stay together, your nysc have not achieved anything in terms of unity we all know it and anybody who marries anybody from any part of the earth is supposed to love their spouse and their family no matter whichever part of the earth they married from and not because of their tribe

Hey, all that was in the past.
Today, racial discrimination is only as bad as you allow it.
Americans are together, that is why they are still the strongest country in the world. The second America breaks up is the very second they will cease to retain the number one spot. There is power in unity. Even their motto is about unity.
America sure has their own share of inner problems, but when it's time to face the world, blacks, whites, republicans, democrats, gays, straights, Afro, European, Asian Americans all speak up in ONE voice and so WHATEVER they have to do to protect their territory. It's as important as the blood that flows through their veins. That's what Afam4eva is trying to explain to you.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by chei: 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
The only trending inter-tribal marriage between the major tribes are between the igbo and yoruba.
More and more igbo women are getting married to yoruba men annually. I honestly believe igbos are leading tribe when it comes to fostering national unity, even to the detriment of their collective culture.
Igbos tend to travel alot and settle in foreign lands, when they give birth to kids in these lands, the kids are most likely to be brought up and raised in the tradition and cultures of the foreign people. They speak the language and drop their igbo, bear names of the foreign tribe etc. They eventually marry a person of the tribe and totally forget about where they come from.
That's why a vast majority of ibo kids born and bred outside of igbo land can't understand igbo and are likely not to marry a fellow igbo.
If the two other major tribes were like the igbos in this regard, then tribalism will gradually die off.
But you'll hardly see them encourage this practice, especially the hausa/fulani.

2 Likes

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Hey, all that was in the past.
Today, racial discrimination is only as bad as you allow it.
Americans are together, that is why they are still the strongest country in the world. The second America breaks up is the very second they will cease to retain the number one spot. There is power in unity. Even their motto is about unity.
America sure has their own share of inner problems, but when it's time to face the world, blacks, whites, republicans, democrats, gays, straights, Afro, European, Asian Americans all speak up in ONE voice and so WHATEVER they have to do to protect their territory. It's as important as the blood that flows through their veins. That's what Afam4eva is trying to explain to you.

There is no tribal discrimination in Nigeria.

There is more religious hatred in Nigeria than tribal hatred.

We need to destroy the foreign religions first.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Sweetlemon(f): 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
kettykin: Fair play , Equity and justice will unite and integrate Nigeria more than NYSC , Inter tribal / inter religious marriages if people like Obasanjo who is known to have married stellah from Edo state and whose son recently married from Ebonyi state ,harbours the kind of bigoted hatred he has for Nigerians from the Niger Delta and the East then inter tribal marriage is simply waste of time.

Another Case is Buhari whom i heard married a Christian lady but whose comments led to the death of so many innocent christians when he lost the 2011 elections , Also is Atiku who married a yoruba and an igbo lady but whose speech after he lost PDP primaries called for the north to make the Nigeria ungovernable for president Jonathan

Of course there will still be few bad ones, but if more people inter-marry, it will definitely reduce tribalism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Matter How Much They Recover,we Can Never Be As Poor As Dangote-abacha's Wife / Full Transcript Of Mahmood Yakubu's Speech Announcing New Election Dates / Peter Obi: Collect Politicians' Money, Vote Credible Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.