Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? (16568 Views)

2019: S/west Leaders Plan Grand Inter-party Coalition / Video: Politics Of Igbo-yoruba Inter-ethnic Marriage / Inter Party Debate Live On TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by alivetofuckonly(m): 11:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
NYSC ko, NYSC ni. All the yrs weh dem don dey do nysc, wetin dem achieve. Na just avenue for govt to chop money. The best NYSC can do is to give inter ethnic friends and all Nigerians know that in Africa, family comes 1st before friends. Marriage yields families especially when the marriage is blessed with children-the two tribes become 1 family. Marriage ensures more commitment that leads to togetherness as a family than friendship.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by tigger56: 11:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
Nysc even encourages tribalism cos wen ure posted 2 some places dey treat u sooo badly cos ure nt 1 of em..I served n orsu lga imo state and dos pple were sooooo mean mehn dats anoda story..D only tin we non ibo corpers did every evening ws 2 sit down and start talking trash bout their culture, land and how they had ova 1000 autonomous communities in 1 LGA...Nysc encourages tribalism !!!!!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:32am On Jan 06, 2014
tigger56:
U have 2 undastand that nigeria is nt a settler nation but its an indigenous nation i.e its citizens re indigenous 2 diff parts of the country,u can only compare nigeria with oda non settler nations like UK, france, japan, china, and even close by ghana. In the uk 4 example is composed of the scot, welsh, irish and english man with some oda minor ethnic grps .A man from edinburgh is first a scotsman before he's a citizen of the UK. I believe this is the system nigeria should follow in oda 2 allow peace reign...let an ibo man b ibo first before nigerian...let him not dream of dominating a nupe man in his land..let each region compete economically and let's make this country great...if not I'd be very satisfied with my oduduwa republic or Yorland!!!!

GBAM! spoken well brother!

I tell you. what we need right now is Semi-sutonomous Tribal Confederacies .

We can still help each other , yet maintain our distinctness.

This will be fair to smaller tribes as well, instead of clubbing many tribes under the genralized geographical banners like North, South East, Middle Belt, etc.

These colonial clubbings have proven very harmful to smaller ethnic groups by assimilating them into dominant neighbouring cultures.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by chi4ik(m): 12:43am On Jan 06, 2014
Inter-ethnic because there is no hw Hausa People will started killing Igbo's or Yoruba's knowing fully well that their people ar married to them, neither will Igbo $ Yoruba people kill each other knowing fully well that they ar in-laws $ they might kill their own people @ d point of d fight. So inter-ethnic marriage is d remedy to Nigeria peace $ Unity......
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by GENTLETEE(m): 3:12am On Jan 06, 2014
Marriage is the faster way to promote national integration. NYSC's contribution is infinitestimal in this regard.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by delta92: 3:56am On Jan 06, 2014
Both are good, it wil make someone appriciates the cultural values of other ethnic groups and also exposes us to first hand information about other regions not what d paid media wants us to believe
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 5:25am On Jan 06, 2014
Area-Fada:

America cannot be an example for us. US is a country of migrants dominated by a culture that evolved from a mix of European cultures.

Whereas each Naija tribe has deep-rooted culture, tradition and mores.

Simply put you're Ibibio, Kanuri, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa etc before you're Nigerian.

NYSC is useless. People mostly bring back hate stories.

Each person cannot marry from 250 tribes so that too is useless.

With development, good living standard, national re-orientation and political maturity, tolerance would improve.

But sadly we have failed on all counts since 53 years.

Why can't the US be an example? You have Italians, Germans, Swedish, French, English, Japanese, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Jamaicans and other nationalities to numerous to count. Nigeria is NOT as diverse as America and yet the US is more united than Nigeria.

if the US is a mix of European cultures as u said, is Nigeria not a mix of African cultures?
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 6:09am On Jan 06, 2014
Afam4eva: Apart from that, are people going to be forced to marry from outside their tribe in the name of unity? I think the best bet is just to enact laws aimed at fostering unity among Nigerians. The laws we have in Nigeria are very divisive in nature.
This is it , we need the law!
Atimes,I think U use Brain-Pills and some other time, U just Gbua !

Kudos there !
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by empron(m): 6:27am On Jan 06, 2014
chei: The only trending inter-tribal marriage between the major tribes are between the igbo and yoruba.
More and more igbo women are getting married to yoruba men annually. I honestly believe igbos are leading tribe when it comes to fostering national unity, even to the detriment of their collective culture.
Igbos tend to travel alot and settle in foreign lands, when they give birth to kids in these lands, the kids are most likely to be brought up and raised in the tradition and cultures of the foreign people. They speak the language and drop their igbo, bear names of the foreign tribe etc. They eventually marry a person of the tribe and totally forget about where they come from.
That's why a vast majority of ibo kids born and bred outside of igbo land can't understand igbo and are likely not to marry a fellow igbo.
If the two other major tribes were like the igbos in this regard, then tribalism will gradually die off.
But you'll hardly see them encourage this practice, especially the hausa/fulani.
you are on point.I respect igbo for that
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 7:17am On Jan 06, 2014
fr3do: If we are busy developping our country,we wont think about ethnicity.
I WISH I COULD GIVE U MORE THAN 1 LIKE
GOD BLESS U

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by omusiliyu(m): 7:18am On Jan 06, 2014
The 2
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 06, 2014
All nigeria needs at this crucial moment to foster national intigration is a for genuine PEOPLES' CONSTITUTION to b in place..and that would be after da SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFAB.. The constitution must ensure that everybody's rights-regions,communities,peoples,states-are respected n guaranteed. Either da ppl gather at da long overdue SNC to deliberate n strucure/fashion out a PEOPLES' CONSTITUTION,or its da also long overdue CURTAINS.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by GentleFrank(m): 8:39am On Jan 06, 2014
Both !
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by chairman: 9:13am On Jan 06, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Hey, all that was in the past.
Today, racial discrimination is only as bad as you allow it.
Americans are together, that is why they are still the strongest country in the world. The second America breaks up is the very second they will cease to retain the number one spot. There is power in unity. Even their motto is about unity.
America sure has their own share of inner problems, but when it's time to face the world, blacks, whites, republicans, democrats, gays, straights, Afro, European, Asian Americans all speak up in ONE voice and so WHATEVER they have to do to protect their territory. It's as important as the blood that flows through their veins. That's what Afam4eva is trying to explain to you.
and how many ethnic groups and languages are in the u.s is my question? Why did you avoid the rest of the points I raised? The us are what they are because they believed that they are the same ppl and they love themselves and they love their country, in nig it is me and my tribe, no one truely love this country and that is ok by me
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by itsrandeeboi(m): 9:13am On Jan 06, 2014
The question is: is there as much divisiveness in reality or does the internet appear to just blow things out of proportion? Do we really hate each other or do we just have the natural respectful dislike everybody has for anybody from somewhere else?
Think of it. I go to markets and I see Igbo and Yoruba traders trading side-by-side without hassle, helping each other and sometimes making sales in the absence of their neighbour from another tribe. If we hated each other that much, would we be able to do that? I mean, sure the Yoruba man might think Igbo men like money too much or the Igbo man might think the Yorubas throw quite a lot of parties but then, think of it as an American thinking a German drinks too much beer and the German thinking the Americans really love guns. It doesn't mean they hate each other. The problem is that some people come online and just wantonly bash other tribes because they feel it is harmless but a huge majority of the people that engage in tribal bashing online have really good friends from the tribe they are bashing but they feel they're just catching fun at someone else's expense.

If there is any divisiveness, it is from some of our leaders who try to play us off against each other. Incidentally, among our corrupt leaders, they aren't tribally divisive. They share the money and everybody is happy meanwhile we keep deceiving ourselves that we hate each other.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Ngokafor(f): 11:00am On Jan 06, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Lolest!
If you notice further, you'd see that I'm also VERY objective in my Judgments. You can see the way I just interacted with my fellow Akwa-Ibomite (Eyop) I don't give a rat azz if you are from my village my dear. I will give you what you deserve where you deserve it!
Igbos on this forum are VERY tribalistic. It surprises me cos the Igbos I know personally are not as tribalistic. I notice that during most Igbo/Yoruba fights, the Igbos are usually more forceful and more vile and most times they start it, esp in Fashola-related threads! Disgusts the helloutta me!
And btw, my man is partly Igbo! I won't mention his main tribe tribe though.

...y wont you mention his main tribe??...wont be surprised if it's Yoruba though cos that'll explain your biased disgust towards attack on fashola's thread while turning a blind eye towards countless other politicians of other tribes that are bashed daily by some Yoruba bigots as well..hypocritical much..

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by arewaqueen: 11:36am On Jan 06, 2014
Adadio: I was full of admiration when I visited the home of a retired Nigerian Army General from Abia,and saw first hand the microcosm
of Nigeria on display.The mother of the General hailed from Katsina,the wife partly Yoruba and partly Ijaw.I was amazed
at the harmony in inter personal relationships amongst the inlaws and relations in the large family tree of diverse ethnic groups.
Why can't this harmony be displayed nation wide.A friend of mine emphasized that the NYSC is a better initiative that can better
foster national unity.Why can't we integrate better to form a seamless union?Has the black pigment got something to do with it?
Can we share our experiences or views on this please.

Is it General Nwachukwu (we call him Umar in katsina
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by kraftyiyk: 1:23pm On Jan 06, 2014
[b] before the Biafra war, Ojukwu once proposed, LET YOUR DESIGNATED PLACE OF BIRTH REPRESENT YOUR STATE OF ORIGIN,...but no body listened, this i beleive, if listened to , would have fostered more unity in Nigeria.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by kobikwelu(m): 1:53pm On Jan 06, 2014
Inter-ethnic marriages is the only way to strengthen National Integration...

we all know in the past, alliances/kingdoms and even countries were formed with marriages ...
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
BULLSHYT National Integration.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by DerideGull(m): 2:28pm On Jan 06, 2014
Adadio: I was full of admiration when I visited the home of a retired Nigerian Army General from Abia,and saw first hand the microcosm
of Nigeria on display.The mother of the General hailed from Katsina,the wife partly Yoruba and partly Ijaw.I was amazed
at the harmony in inter personal relationships amongst the inlaws and relations in the large family tree of diverse ethnic groups.
Why can't this harmony be displayed nation wide.A friend of mine emphasized that the NYSC is a better initiative that can better
foster national unity.Why can't we integrate better to form a seamless union?Has the black pigment got something to do with it?
Can we share our experiences or views on this please.

What arrant nonsense!!! I guess Nigerians that marry Ghanaians and vis-à-vis should have harmonized the relationship between Ghana and Nigeria. In fact, it should have led to the formation of a country called Ghageria. I do not know why few silly human beings are bent on playing God.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by DerideGull(m): 2:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
arewa queen:

Is it General Nwachukwu (we call him Umar in katsina

Yes, he is called Umar Sanda!!!!
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by tpia5: 2:31pm On Jan 06, 2014
Like I always say, those of you who are into booty calling and the like, should stop confusing your se.xual liberation ( or is it s.exual escapades) with national integration.

The two are entirely different things with no correlation at all.

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:32pm On Jan 06, 2014
tpia@:
Like I always say, those of you who are into booty calling and the like, should stop confusing your sexual liberation with national integration.

The two are entirely different things with no correlation at all.

Exac.tly. first time I agree with you.

They all want to just get a s.exual release and satisfy their intimate liberation in the mask of "National Integration" by fvcking around.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:34pm On Jan 06, 2014
[size=14pt]Next time when we want to form good relations with another nation, instead of sending ambassadors, lets send a bride/groom to marry the other Nations President.[/size]
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by tpia5: 2:35pm On Jan 06, 2014
I don't see what getting h.orny anytime somebody sights something in skirt ( or vice versa), has to do with any type of integration outside the hornies involved?

1 Like

Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by jpphilips(m): 5:16pm On Jan 06, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

ok go worship your man-god jizzus/

This is your god right

[img]http://newstoriesoldbook.files./2013/10/jesus.gif[/img]

thank your stars Christians are not religious terrorists.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:20pm On Jan 06, 2014
jp philips:

thank your stars Christians are not religious terrorists.

are you trying to scare me?

Thank your stars we Pagans let you to preach your silly doctrine in Nigeria in the first place.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by DocAdray(f): 6:37pm On Jan 06, 2014
Inter ethnic marriages promote national unity and integration better.
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Malawian(m): 6:48pm On Jan 06, 2014
none. just excise yoruba from this country and it will unite. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Whitecoal711: 7:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
Kudos to the op nice post
I don't see anything avoid us from applying the two meanwhile some religious doesn't help matter
Re: Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? by Ilekokonit: 7:33pm On Jan 06, 2014
Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better?

What WILL promote national integration better is when the "Educated Illiterates" in our midst start getting rid of their "Stinking Thinking" and drop their backward tribalistic tendencies.

I often wonder how a supposedly enlightened, exposed and educated Nigerian can be more tribalistic than an illiterate who did not go to school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

MEND To Jonathan: Your Assassination Story Not True / Hausa Community In Enugu Endorse Ayogu Eze For Governor 2019(pictures) / Miyetti Allah Denies Issuing 72-Hour Ultimatum To Delta State Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.