Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,706 members, 7,837,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

The Problem With The Atheist - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem With The Atheist (5781 Views)

Why Are The Atheist Not Seeing This? / Mock The Atheist. / The Atheist Creed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With The Atheist by PastorAIO: 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2008
JeSoul:

LOL . . . indeed. Wasn't it the 5-toed chicken that spread the dirt with its feet all over the earth? grin

Not to mention the Chameleon which was the first to tread the earth. Till today the chameleon continues to tread ever so cautiously. Now if that isn't proof of the veracity of the story then you are just being willfully ignorant. Why else would the chameleon tread like it doesn't quite trust the solidity of the earth?
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by bawomolo(m): 6:42pm On Aug 25, 2008
Bawomolo,
are you tired of your "daily contradictions" thread?

do u want me to start it back up. i would think about it
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by JeSoul(f): 8:10pm On Aug 25, 2008
detruth:

@ JeSoul
Life is sweet! mostly when you are full of Light! cheesy . . . got you dear!
Glad to know alls well with you grin Continue in the grace of God and don't be a stranger! smiley

Pastor AIO:

Not to mention the Chameleon which was the first to tread the earth. Till today the chameleon continues to tread ever so cautiously. Now if that isn't proof of the veracity of the story then you are just being willfully ignorant. Why else would the chameleon tread like it doesn't quite trust the solidity of the earth?
LOL grin I remember when I first heard these "creation stories", even with my small brain I was like which kin nonsense teacher dey teach me? cheesy grin

bawomolo:

do u want me to start it back up. i would think about it
hehe no way oh. please eh, ejo don't start it again smiley kiss cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 02, 2011
Nice thread.

There are some many problems with these folks. No one is born an atheist, this is for sure. even listening to some atheists here on Nl tell about their journey into atheism. some have said its due to lack of answered prayer, loss of a relative etc. for this i can say People choose to become atheists as much as some of us choose to become Christians. And no matter how strenuously some may try to deny it, atheism is a belief system. In my unending argument with a Nl atheist, even after debating on a 4 page thread and giving him direct definition of belief, he gallantly denied the obvious

It requires faith that God does not exist. This it self is something u believe in and carry into almost every discussion. When an atheist says to me that hes certain that the christian God is a non entity, then hes affirming his belief in same regards. When dialoguing with atheists, it is helpful to point out the logical problems inherent in their belief system. Whether they accept or reject it, is a different ball game. smdh once again
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by mazaje(m): 8:48am On Oct 02, 2011
toba:

Nice thread.

There are some many problems with these folks. No one is born an atheist, this is for sure. even listening to some atheists here on Nl tell about their journey into atheism. some have said its due to lack of answered prayer, loss of a relative etc. for this i can say People choose to become atheists as much as some of us choose to become Christians. And no matter how strenuously some may try to deny it, atheism is a belief system. In my unending argument with a Nl atheist, even after debating on a 4 page thread and giving him direct definition of belief, he gallantly denied the obvious

It requires faith that God does not exist. This it self is something u believe in and carry into almost every discussion. When an atheist says to me that hes certain that the christian God is a non entity, then hes affirming his belief in same regards. When dialoguing with atheists, it is helpful to point out the logical problems inherent in their belief system. Whether they accept or reject it, is a different ball game. smdh once again

What God or religious belief were you born with, if you parents had not taught you about christianity will you have been a christian?. . . .Why do parents teach their kids about their religions at a very early age, why don't they wait till they are adults(21) before teaching them about God and religion?
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 02, 2011
mazaje:

What God or religious belief were you born with, if you parents had not taught you about christianity will you have been a christian?. . . .Why do parents teach their kids about their religions at a very early age, why don't they wait till they are adults(21) before teaching them about God and religion?

I think u got it wrong. i said as we choose to become xtians same way people choose to become atheists. didnt u see that part in my post? how ever its pertinent to state that kids are some how gullible and in deed needs to be guided at early stage in life. children are vulnerable and moved by what to see or hear at early stage of life. Hence its imperative they be guided at some stages. When they grow up, they are free to choose their path in life.

Do u also know that Dawkins has started the catch them young campaign? the summer camp he organised captured children aged 8 to 17. this is the age range that attend sunday school to learn about God. He teaching them non religious activities can also be likened to what u have said above i.e not allowing children to decide what they want to believe when they come of age.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by harakiri(m): 9:31am On Oct 02, 2011
Interesting thread but misleading. The theists are the ones with problems. Within themselves, they bicker,argue,struggle and fight to establish whose god is superior. Islam vs Christianity etc. Within christianity, the white garment Sabbath worshippers believe they are superior to Cele and Cherubim. Christ embassy members see themselves above Winners chapel,RCCG and Foursquare worshipers. Roman catholic worshipers feel above Vincentians,Anglicans,etc. Shites and Sunnis have been rivals for years to the extent of getting into violent confrontations and yet, Atheists have problems? Theists are the ones with the problem of not being able to come to terms with non religious people. They find it hard to comprehend how possible it is for people not to believe in a god. It's a novelty to the theists. The theists should address who the "real god" is among themselves before picking on atheists.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by mazaje(m): 9:47am On Oct 02, 2011
toba:

I think u got it wrong. i said as we choose to become xtians same way people choose to become atheists. didnt u see that part in my post? how ever its pertinent to state that kids are some how gullible and in deed needs to be guided at early stage in life. children are vulnerable and moved by what to see or hear at early stage of life. Hence its imperative they be guided at some stages. When they grow up, they are free to choose their path in life.

Nope they are not free to choose because by then thier religious believes becomes a part of their reality. . . .That' why there are over 1.5 billion muslims, about 1 billion hindus and about 500 million buddist etc in the world today. . . . .Your religious beliefs are your reality. . . .People don't chose to become religious, people are forced to accept it an a very early age without their choosing. . .I will agree with you that people chose to become atheist but people don't chose any religion, people just accept the religion of their parents and get indoctrinated into it at a very early age before they can even reason for themselves the religion becomes a part of their lives and a part of their reality since they are made to reason along religious lines and made to discard anything that disagrees with their religious views. . . .

Do u also know that Dawkins has started the catch them young campaign? the summer camp he organised captured children aged 8 to 17. this is the age range that attend sunday school to learn about God. He teaching them non religious activities can also be likened to what u have said above i.e not allowing children to decide what they want to believe when they come of age.

Lets forget about Dawkings, what am simply saying is that if the bible or the koran for example are presented to children on their 21st birthday for the first time very very few kids will accept the bible or the koran and its stories or theology reason because they will see that many of the things written inside the books do not agree with the reality the see around them. . .Now back to Dawkings, he really doesn't need to do that because a child's natural mind has nothing to do with any God, it just has everything to do with survival. . . .The idea of a God must be taught and learned, it must also be preserved and not allowed to be contaminated by other competing ideas. . . .if children are to be left on their own, or thought about both sides of the arguments since childhood (atheistic and theistic) I seriously doubt if we will have as much believers as we do today. . . . .Lack of belief is seen as a taboo in many societies and hence children are mostly forced to obey and believe. . .Take that out and teach children about both arguments and as i aforementioned the number of believers will reduce dramatically. . .
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 02, 2011
Harakiri. this is in response to your post regarding the christian thiests. During the time of Paul, this had been envisaged hence theres a corresponding chapter and verses therein which answers the points u ve raised which u have considered to be a problem. Lets see what Paul had to say in same regard

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill.

16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.

17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.

18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

From the foregoing, its the athiests that really needs to look inwards
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 02, 2011
mazaje:

Nope they are not free to choose because by then thier religious believes becomes a part of their reality. . . .That' about s why there are over 1.5 billion muslims, about 1 billion hindus and about 500 million buddist etc in the world today. . . . .Your religious beliefs are your reality. . . .People don't chose to become religions people are forced to accept it an a very early age without their choosing. . .I will agree with you that people chose to become atheist but people don't chose any religion, people just accept the religion of their parents and get indoctrinated into it at a very early age before they can even reason for themselves the religion becomes a part of their lives and a part of their reality since they are made to reason along religious lines and made to discard anything that disagrees with their religious views. . . .
u are still missing the point. How does religion become part of Reality? have u forgotten that just as u became an atheist on ur own volition, many others could have done same? My bible tells me to have faith tha with God all things are possible, yet that doesnt mean that i should attempt to travel to Canada with having a passport, visa and ticket. so how does religion becomes reality? if religion conflicts with reality can it be discarded? why then do people still refuse to obey some of the religious dictate? or is it everything in the bible or kuran that are obey?
Lets forget about Dawkings, what am simply saying is that if the bible or the koran for example are presented to children on their 21st birthday for the first time very very few kids will accept the bible or the koran and its stories or theology reason because they will see that many of the things written inside the books do not agree with the reality the see around them. . .Now back to Dawkings, he really doesn't need to do that because a child's natural mind has nothing to do with any God, it just has everything to do with survival. . . .The idea of a God must be taught and learned, it must also be preserved and not allowed to be contaminated by other competing ideas. . . .if children are to be left on their own, or thought about both sides of the arguments since childhood (atheistic and theistic) I seriously doubt if we will have as much believers as we do today. . . . .Lack of belief is seen as a taboo in many societies and hence children are mostly forced to obey and believe. . .Take that out and teach children about both arguments and as i aforementioned the number of believers will reduce dramatically. . .
what u said here is false. arent people free to choose what they want to believe in when they come of age? when u became an atheist, were u killed? Even if children were indeed forced, dont they have the option of changing their belief when they grow up and become independent? if pple choose to stick with their childhood belief isnt it possible that its cos they find same soothing and ok with them? thats why i laught at Dawkins and his approach. he used little children under 10 for an advert. These kids are children of christians yet their parent didnt forcefully prevent these kids from running the advert. Does that mean that when they grow up thay cant choose to go the theism or the atheistic way? i had a little spell in islam and yet it didnt affect my christian faith neither did i allow this to affect my realityt people chose to become atheist but people don't chose any religion, people just accept the religion of their parents and get indoctrinated into it at a very early age before they can even reason for themselves the religion becomes a part of their lives and a part of their reality since they are made to reason along religious lines and made to discard anything that disagrees with their religious views. . . .
[/quote] u are still missing the point. How does religion become part of Reality? have u forgotten that just as u became an atheist on ur own volition, many others could have done same? My bible tells me to have faith tha with God all things are possible, yet that doesnt mean that i should attempt to travel to Canada with having a passport, visa and ticket. so how does religion becomes reality? if religion conflicts with reality can it be discarded? why then do people still refuse to obey some of the religious dictate? or is it everything in the bible or kuran that are obey? [quote]Lets forget about Dawkings, what am simply saying is that if the bible or the koran for example are presented to children on their 21st birthday for the first time very very few kids will accept the bible or the koran and its stories or theology reason because they will see that many of the things written inside the books do not agree with the reality the see around them. . .Now back to Dawkings, he really doesn't need to do that because a child's natural mind has nothing to do with any God, it just has everything to do with survival. . . .The idea of a God must be taught and learned, it must also be preserved and not allowed to be contaminated by other competing ideas. . . .if children are to be left on their own, or thought about both sides of the arguments since childhood (atheistic and theistic) I seriously doubt if we will have as much believers as we do today. . . . .Lack of belief is seen as a taboo in many societies and hence children are mostly forced to obey and believe. . .Take that out and teach children about both arguments and as i aforementioned the number of believers will reduce dramatically. . .
what u said here is false. arent people free to choose what they want to believe in when they come of age? when u became an atheist, were u killed? Even if children were indeed forced, dont they have the option of changing their belief when they grow up and become independent? if pple choose to stick with their childhood belief isnt it possible that its cos they find same soothing and ok with them? thats why i laught at Dawkins and his approach. he used little children under 10 for an advert. These kids are children of christians yet their parent didnt forcefully prevent these kids from running the advert. Does that mean that when they grow up thay cant choose to go the theism or the atheistic way? i had a little spell in islam and yet it didnt affect my christian faith neither did i allow this to affect my reality
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by mazaje(m): 11:21am On Oct 02, 2011
toba:

u are still missing the point. How does religion become part of Reality? have u forgotten that just as u became an atheist on your own volition, many others could have done same? My bible tells me to have faith tha with God all things are possible, yet that doesnt mean that i should attempt to travel to Canada with having a passport, visa and ticket. so how does religion becomes reality? if religion conflicts with reality can it be discarded? why then do people still refuse to obey some of the religious dictate? or is it everything in the bible or kuran that are obey?

Religion becomes a part of your reality because it helps you to shape how you reason and filter things. . . .Things that religion says are good will automatically be considered as good, and things that religion says is bad will automatically be seen as bad. . . .And that forms the way a person views the world. . .Let me give you a more specific example, according to the bible the rainbow is a covenant between God and men that first appread after the Noah ark myth some 4000 years ago, but the FACT is the rain bow is NOT a covenant between any God and any body but simply a refraction of light waves with it comes in contact with water droplets on the surface of the earth's atmosphere, yet we have the so called christians scientist that go to what ever extent to discard the fact and try to say that the rainbow first appeared 4000 years ago but producing crazy models and lying to themselves all because they believe that the bible must be true. . . .People that refuse to follow religious dictates know very well that their religious assertions are false but will always chose to excuse it. . . .For example there is no where in the bible where it says that people should go to the hospitals when sick, a clear directive to go to the church elders for prayers is what is given, even Jesus told his disciples that they will do greater things than him if they believe. . . .The fact that many believers run to the hospitals when sick instead of doing what the bible says in the book of James is an indictment of the bible because many people did what the bible said and ended up dead. . . .

what u said here is false. arent people free to choose what they want to believe in when they come of age? when u became an atheist, were u killed? Even if children were indeed forced, dont they have the option of changing their belief when they grow up and become independent? if pple choose to stick with their childhood belief isnt it possible that its cos they find same soothing and ok with them? thats why i laught at Dawkins and his approach. he used little children under 10 for an advert. These kids are children of christians yet their parent didnt forcefully prevent these kids from running the advert. Does that mean that when they grow up thay cant choose to go the theism or the atheistic way? i had a little spell in islam and yet it didnt affect my christian faith neither did i allow this to affect my reality

I wasn't killed when I became an atheist, but lost my relationship with my parents, had to tell them I accepted Jesus before we came back together. . . .I was so lucky many weren't many were castigated as the sons of satan etc. . .Those that belong to the muslim faith were not so lucky. . .People chose to stay and practice the religion of their parents ONLY because they know no better, most o my friends know nothing about christianity other than what they were taught by their pastors. . . .I can confidently say that I know the bible more than any christian I have meet in real life. most don't know its history or its contents, even here on nairaland. . .I have had to show many people here on nairaland so many things that they never knew existed in the bible. When i talk they counter by telling me to show them, when I do they just keep quite or try to spin what was written down. . . .The having a stint with Islam with a preconceived notion about it means nothing at all. . . .The bottom line is this if children were taught about all religious beliefs at the same time with the same vigor including the atheistic position and allowed to chose since from childhood there will be far less religious adherents in the world today. . . .Childhood indoctrination is the MAIN and ONLY reason why a majority of the people believe in what ever concept of God they believe in and practice what ever form of religion they practice. . . .
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 12:44pm On Oct 02, 2011
JeSoul:

4. They love to engage in endless, abstract, hypothetical, strange, controversial subjects based on endless speculations that usually lead to anger and strife. They seem incapable of accepting the fact that there are some things that cannot be explained, some things that just don't have an answer and cannot be "proven" as it leaves no room for faith which the bible tells us "is what we need in order to please God"

These "debates" are only an exercise in self-worship, a time for them to showcase their self-ascribed 'intelligence', thinking they have somehow attained an intellectual prowess that they have out-smarted God and the bible. . . .

This!
QFT!

On top of which most of them are not even that smart (there is really only one atheist here that I have some amount of respect for and I'm sure he will know himself even without mention); the rest just parrot various arguments --- many of which they do not even understand.

Has anyone noticed some of their stock material that they seek to impress with here (parroted from their champion "thinkers"wink?

- The Dunning-Kruger Effect
- No true Scotsman fallacy
- Not collecting stamps is not a hobby
- Flying Spaghetti Monster
- Sussicorn
- Invisible pink unicorn
- etc

The mumu evangelical atheists on this forum are particularly poor; repeating the same old parroted arguments again and again and again and again and again; wholly devoid of any originality; ridiculously obtuse and shamelessly dishonest intellectually.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

This!
QFT!

On top of which most of them are not even that smart (there is really only one atheist here that I have some amount of respect for and I'm sure he will know himself even without mention); the rest just parrot various arguments --- many of which they do not even understand.

Awww are you bitter that the arguments generally fly above your head?

Enigma:

Has anyone noticed some of their stock material that they seek to impress with here (parroted from their champion "thinkers"wink?

- The Dunning-Kruger Effect
- No true Scotsman fallacy
- Not collecting stamps is not a hobby
- Flying Spaghetti Monster
- Sussicorn
- Invisible pink unicorn
- etc

The mumu evangelical atheists on this forum are particularly poor; repeating the same old parroted arguments again and again and again and again and again; wholly devoid of any originality; ridiculously obtuse and shamelessly dishonest intellectually.

Why are you so bitter that you have to label your "evangelical atheists" as mumus?
Who needs to change those arguments when they work so well against the rubbish you and your fellows parrot? We've not discarded the theory that germs cause diseases though it is so old why?
[size=14pt]Because it works[/size]
So dry your tears. The fact that you cannot do any better really cannot be helped since many like you have tried and failed. Those "stock material" are so good, they're the gift that keeps on giving so if you have better arguments, maybe you'll get different responses.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by manmustwac(m): 2:25pm On Oct 02, 2011
toba:

Nice thread.

There are some many problems with these folks. No one is born an atheist, this is for sure.
RUBBISH! You can convince me that yyou were born a black male and into a yoruba christian family. But you yourself were an athiest at birth. WHY? Because you didn't know anything about jesus christ or the bible at such a young age which makes you an athiest  its only when you started to grow that you learnt who was mummy who was daddy which tribe you were and taught the religion that you were born and bred into. Do you SERIOUSLY  think that if you were born into a sunni family in saudi arabia that you would be a christian? Or if you were born into  a muslim family in afghanistan you probably would've ended up fighting for the taliban pending your religious brainwashing

toba:

And no matter how strenuously some may try to deny it, atheism is a belief system. In my unending argument with a Nl atheist, even after debating on a 4 page thread and giving him direct definition of belief, he gallantly denied the obvious
 don't you trust wikipedia? i took this quote from there?  angry
, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist

toba:

WHAT FAITH? You must be refering to religious faith More like  science, archeology, geology technology and history. I have faith that if i put my clothes outside on the washing line (in this sunny weather)  that they will dry by tonight and i can then iron them against work tomorrw morning. I also have faith that if i hold two dices in my hand and keep throwing tem on the table that it will only be a matter of time before i throw two sixes. And i also have VERY STRONG FAITH THAT SUPER TOTTENHAM FROM THE LANE ARE GOING TO BEAT THE ARSENAL THIS AFTERNOON BY AT LEAST TWO CLEAR GOALS!!! grin grin grin
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 2:28pm On Oct 02, 2011
thehomer:

Awww are you bitter that the arguments generally fly above your head?

Why are you so bitter that you have to label your "evangelical atheists" as mumus?
Who needs to change those arguments when they work so well against the rubbish you and your fellows parrot? We've not discarded the theory that germs cause diseases though it is so old why?
[size=14pt]Because it works[/size]
So dry your tears. The fact that you cannot do any better really cannot be helped since many like you have tried and failed. Those "stock material" are so good, they're the gift that keeps on giving so if you have better arguments, maybe you'll get different responses.

E dey pain am! grin

Anyway sha, I understand as he don take quite some battering in recent times! smiley

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

E dey pain am! grin

Anyway sha, I understand as he don take quite some battering in recent times! smiley

cool

And this is the new and improved Christian argument?
Not surprising considering the punishments I've put you through.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 2:54pm On Oct 02, 2011
thehomer:

And this is the new and improved Christian argument?
Not surprising considering the punishments I've put you through.

Remember I once told you that self-deceit is not good for your well being!

Don't remain such a slow learner; it's time for you to take that my teaching on board!

Meanwhile I notice on the other thread that you and your "lawyer" have both now run away from the debate on the true interpretation and "import" wink of the decision in Kaufman v McCaughtry! After all your initial bluster of "for first amendment purposes only"! wink

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

Remember I once told you that self-deceit is not good for your well being!

Yet you lack the insight into your self deception. How curious. That my friend is one of the aspects of the Dunning-Kruger effect in action. grin

Enigma:

Don't remain such a slow learner; it's time for you to take that my teaching on board!

It seems you fell off the short-bus and bumped your head somewhere. Go to a hospital for some treatment.

Enigma:

Meanwhile I notice on the other thread that you and your "lawyer" have both now run away from the debate on the true interpretation and "import" wink of the decision in Kaufman v McCaughtry! After all your initial bluster of "for first amendment purposes only"! wink

cool

As it was pointed out to you, it was for first amendment purposes. You then chose to switch gears after failing woefully to some boring rant. Go back and read your posts running and avoiding me.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2011
Mumu! grin I'm sure even your "lawyer" will now take my break-down (both the simple and technical) of the Kaufman case to go and use to impress someone somewhere someday! smiley No problem I give you both copyright license to use (even though I know you lot are likely to misuse and abuse) it; it was a free lesson anyway. smiley

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

Mumu! grin I'm sure even your "lawyer" will now take my break-down (both the simple and technical) of the Kaufman case to go and use to impress someone somewhere someday! smiley No problem I give you both copyright license to use (even though I know you lot are likely to misuse and abuse) it; it was a free lesson anyway. smiley

cool

You dull fellow. Go and reread the rubbish you wrote then ask yourself how it helps your case.

PS: Get your special ed. instructor to help you next time you encounter minor difficulties in English comprehension.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by jayriginal: 3:50pm On Oct 02, 2011
thehomer:

You dull fellow. Go and reread the rubbish you wrote then ask yourself how it helps your case.

PS: Get your special ed. instructor to help you next time you encounter minor difficulties in English comprehension.
Allow Enigma to cherish his illusion. He is entitled to his delusion.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2011
smiley

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 02, 2011
manmustwac:

RUBBISH! You can convince me that yyou were born a black male and into a yoruba christian family. But you yourself were an athiest at birth. WHY? Because you didn't know anything about jesus christ or the bible at such a young age which makes you an athiest its only when you started to grow that you learnt who was mummy who was daddy which tribe you were and taught the religion that you were born and bred into.

On one hand u are correct and on the other u are wrong. I wasnt born a christian at birth even though i was born by a christian Family. Its imperative that i state that even though i was born with no religion doesnt meant i was born into atheism or born as an atheist. U alleging this means u are destroying the definition of atheism. Remember u became an atheist or agnostic after first learning about the beliefs in a god or God. By default, u were not born as neither a christian, Muslim, hinduist atheist etc We are born knowing nothing i.e whether theres a god or not at birth no one knows until u grow a bit and begin to learn either way.

Do you SERIOUSLY think that if you were born into a sunni family in saudi arabia that you would be a christian?

Yes i think so. Manmustwac wasnt born an atheist. He became an atheist at one point or the other in his life. What if i left saudi and migrated to America and i was told about Jesus even after being born into a sunni family?

Or if you were born into a muslim family in afghanistan you probably would've ended up fighting for the taliban pending your religious brainwashing

This is also a probability and not a certainty. It could be a yes or a no. I hope u do watch some documentaries on Aljazeera and CNN. Some family members of these people are sometimes against their own cos of their wicked acts

don't you trust wikipedia?
At least we are speaking English right? i can also define atheism as 'the belief in no god' yet still means the same thing. An atheist once told me that he believes certainly that the christian God is a non entity' I can cull out a definition on this basis and at the end of the day im talking about an Individual who doesnt believe in a god/God

i took this quote from there? angryWHAT FAITH? You must be refering to religious faith More like science, archeology, geology technology and history. I have faith that if i put my clothes outside on the washing line (in this sunny weather) that they will dry by tonight and i can then iron them against work tomorrw morning. I also have faith that if i hold two dices in my hand and keep throwing tem on the table that it will only be a matter of time before i throw two sixes. And i also have VERY STRONG FAITH THAT SUPER TOTTENHAM FROM THE LANE ARE GOING TO BEAT THE ARSENAL THIS AFTERNOON BY AT LEAST TWO CLEAR GOALS!!! grin grin grin

yes that's it. Same way u have faith that there's no God. Simple as ABC
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:09pm On Oct 02, 2011
Anywhere you see an evangelical atheist, even on his own, you see a fool and you also see the very worst case of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Only an omniscient person or a fool can say there is no God.

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 4:18pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

Anywhere you see an evangelical atheist, even on his own, you see a fool and you also see the very worst case of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Only an omniscient person or a fool can say there is no God.

cool

Please take it easy. Don't let your bitterness consume you so much that it makes your poor mind even poorer. The fact that its been demonstrated that you consistently succumb to the Dunning-Kruger effect means you should work to avoid it rather than giving yourself a headshot trying to shoot the messenger.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:27pm On Oct 02, 2011
Mr Dunce, you don't have to post for the sake of posting you know! Try finding something sensible or smart to say for once.  smiley

(PS I had even noticed for sometime that you started copying some of my old lines e.g. "whining" etc!)  wink

Old boy, your case dey really really bad oh!  grin

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 02, 2011
mazaje:

Religion becomes a part of your reality because it helps you to shape how you reason and filter things. . . .Things that religion says are good will automatically be considered as good, and things that religion says is bad will automatically be seen as bad. . . .And that forms the way a person views the world. . .

U are still wrong as not all religious people would agree with u in this regard. talking about world view. atheism has indeed become the world view of some atheists. Religion is not a constitution of a country. Religion may have some laws which agrees with the laws of a country. If thats what u consider as being part of Reality, so be it. The 10 commandments in one of the religious text says thou shall not steal, lie, fornicate or commit adultery. In the constitution of some countries, same is also entrenched therein. Isnt it fair to consider this as reality judging by the fact that it does agrees with what is right?

Let me give you a more specific example, according to the bible the rainbow is a covenant between God and men that first appread after the Noah ark myth some 4000 years ago, but the FACT is the rain bow is NOT a covenant between any God and any body but simply a refraction of light waves with it comes in contact with water droplets on the surface of the  earth's atmosphere, yet we have the so called christians scientist that go to what ever extent to discard the fact and try to say that the rainbow first appeared 4000 years ago but producing crazy models and lying to themselves all because they believe that the bible must be true. . . .
Though i might not be aware of this but let me ask u, Does holding such belief affect anything that can cause problems to Humanity?

People that refuse to follow religious dictates know very well that their religious assertions are false but will always chose to excuse it. . . .For example there is no where in the bible where it says that people should go to the hospitals when sick, a clear directive to go to the church elders for prayers is what is given, even Jesus told his disciples that they will do greater things than him if they believe. . . .The fact that many believers run to the hospitals when sick instead of doing what the bible says in the book of[b] James is an indictment of the bible because many people did what the bible said and ended up dead. . . .[/b]
Its no indictment in anyway. U are told to ask for wisdom. Once u have this wisdom of god, u can do whats right what will help u in life.

I once said it here couple of days ago. My car's brake system developed fault on a Saturday and i needed to  go to church the next day as the chief organist. The bible told me to have faith and the same bible says i should be wise as a serpent. I actually left the car and joined public transport even though i never liked to do that. I was able to fulfill my duty that day without getting hurt. We must apply wisdom in all things

I wasn't killed when I became an atheist, but lost my relationship with my parents, had to tell them I accepted Jesus before we came back together. . . .I was so lucky many weren't many were castigated as the sons of satan etc. . .Those that belong to the muslim faith were not so lucky. .
Permit me to say that this could be ignorance on their part. I have an aunt who left christianity for traditional religion. This happened sometime in March 2011. None of us castigated her since she claims to be convinced about her new belief. Really i dont always have issues with such.

.People chose to stay and practice the religion of their parents ONLY because they know no better, most o my friends know nothing about christianity other than what they were taught by their pastors. . . .
They have a choice to change when they grow up and become independent. I for once, no one can force anything on me as of now that i ve come of age, working and feeding myself. In my family, peoples wishes are respected.

I can confidently say that I know the bible more than any christian I have meet in real life. most don't know its history or its contents, even here on nairaland. . .I have had to show many people here on nairaland so many things that they never knew existed in the bible.
Cos lot of people really dont know what they believe in. They are being spoon fed by others

When i talk they counter by telling me to show them, when I do they just keep quite or try to spin what was written down. . . .The having a stint with Islam with a preconceived notion about it means nothing at all. . . .The bottom line is this if children were taught about all religious beliefs at the same time with the same vigor including the atheistic position and allowed to chose since from childhood there will be far[b] less religious adherents in the world today. . [/b].
Richard Dawkins have started. Lets give him some time to see if what u have said here will eventually happen

.Childhood indoctrination is the MAIN and ONLY reason why a majority of the people believe in what ever concept of God they believe in and practice what ever form of religion they practice. . . .

Again i would say some people have choices whilst others do not. Those that have choices can abandon their belief when they grow up if its no longer soothing to them just as[b] Mazaje, manmustwac, jayriginal, Kag, Kay17[/b] have done cheesy
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 4:44pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

Mr Dunce, you don't have to post for the sake of posting you know! Try finding something sensible or smart to say for once.  smiley

(PS I had even noticed for sometime that you started copying some of my old lines e.g. "whining" etc!)  wink

Old boy, your case dey really really bad oh!  grin

cool

Awww is this how low you've sunk? What a shame. I guess I expected nothing better from one such as yourself. Please get your special ed. instructor to help you understand.
I'm copying your old lines by saying you're whining when you're in fact whining? Wow. grin I guess you must have invented the English language. Please go through my posts again before you make such remarks that expose your dullness.

As usual, no tangible argument just more whining. Why don't you present new arguments after your whining about the responses being so good that you couldn't respond?
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:48pm On Oct 02, 2011
Here, remember the below --- it was after that post that you started using "whining"; obviously the post must have hit bullseye! grin

In that case enjoy it again! smiley

From here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-715030.64.html#msg8812668

Oh, the evangelical atheists are still here whining! smiley

OK, here again one more time:

Breeze5000:
. . . . A lot of them just make mouth and ask all those kindergarten questions sometimes, Like lil kids who ask! ask! and ask without pausing to think or imagine if what they are saying makes sense. [/b]Since they are the ones that says there is no God, the burden of proof lies with them and [b]I don't see them coming up with anything meaningful! . . . .

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 4:54pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

Here, remember the below --- it was after that post that you started using "whining"; obviously the post must have hit bullseye! grin

In that case enjoy it again! smiley

From here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-715030.64.html#msg8812668

cool

Really? grin grin I advice you to learn how to use words because I guarantee you, the word whining isn't mysterious. The fact that you've been whining so much is what your problem is.

Were you that deeply affected after that exchange? I guess I must have really hit the mark. I hope you realize that you're still unable to answer the simple question of who the man's God is.

Yet he persists in non-arguments. What a shame.
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:58pm On Oct 02, 2011
You forget that I pointedly posted a video of Antony Flew speaking about his god with his own very mouth on another thread going on at the very same time of that debate! I just deliberately refused to be your teacher on that particular point, in that particular thread! wink

cool
Re: The Problem With The Atheist by thehomer: 5:01pm On Oct 02, 2011
Enigma:

You forget that I pointedly posted a video of Antony Flew speaking about his god with his own very mouth on another thread going on at the very same time of that debate! I just deliberately refused to be your teacher on that particular point, in that particular thread! wink

cool

Awww dullard go through the thread and find out what I was asking for.
What is the name of this God? Is it Jehovah? How does this God support your bronze age beliefs?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The City Under The Sea | Mystery Of The Iniquity / Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? / How To Avoid Distractions In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.