Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,036 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? - Islam for Muslims (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? (60542 Views)

Muslims What Is JIZZYA? / Muslims, What's Happening In Your Life? A Brother Needs your Assistance. Page 15 / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 31, 2007
thank you all
embarassed

salam
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by AlfaPrime: 6:14pm On Jul 31, 2007
Seun, are u a muslim? or are u simply tryng to learn more about Islam? Cos I once heard someone say u're an atheist.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:23pm On Jul 31, 2007
@babyosis

Insert Quote
congrats oyb on the new baby.
so you have a wife?
someone's been busy in between nairaland posts
tell her a certain lady babyosisi, says hello and sends her love.

Are you really A LADY? grin grin. Remember, thou shall not lie cheesy. You are a lady or an African woman?

I hope you've started learning how to change diapers and make a formula
madam needs all the help she can get.
good health for mom and baby.

You should have told us that you are a nurse or are you telling us that so that we will know that you gone through that process too? cheesy cheesy
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 01, 2007
babs,na wetin I do you?
leave me alone and get busy with your own iyawo or iyawos
so that we can celebrate the new arrival too grin grin

haven't you noticed I'm now a good "African woman" and here you are tempting me grin
mind yourself now o
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:45pm On Aug 01, 2007
@babyosis

Insert Quote
babs,na wetin I do you?
leave me alone and get busy with your own iyawo or iyawos
so that we can celebrate the new arrival too

Yes we have been celebrating and we will continue doing same.
I cant leave you alone ooo. Hope you havent forgotten that I am still keen on hijacking you from that Igbo man. cheesy

I have been saving in order to overthrow him and I know that I will succeed. Abi no be so?. grin grin

haven't you noticed I'm now a good "African woman" and here you are tempting me

Honestly I noticed that and I am very happy for that development, keep it up cheesy. I need to tempt you , Its not good to hide God's work. When you see a good thing, you must say it out. Abi I lie? I know that you are not a lady, no thanks to my Igbo kwenu friend. grin grin
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 01, 2007
Chinekeeeee!!
babs you get bad mouth o

I have been saving in order to overthrow him and I know that I will succeed. Abi no be so?.

babs you don't want babaosisi to commit manslaughter do you?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:37pm On Aug 03, 2007
Chinekeeeee!!
babs you get bad mouth o

Bad mouth for where. Truth must be told jare.

babs you don't want babaosisi to commit manslaughter do you?

Wetin bring manslaughter for this one now? Wetin concern agbero with overload?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Iobafemi(m): 7:54pm On Aug 05, 2007
we should all learn to live by the Qur'an and Sunnah of the prophet (SAW)
and our lives will be better for it
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by PTH(m): 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2007
Iobafemi:

we should all learn to live by the Qur'an and Sunnah of the prophet (SAW)
and our lives will be better for it

Just like the lives of the Iranians, Palestinians, Saudis, Pakistanis, Sudanese, iraqis, Yemeni? Sorry i prefer to pass.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2007
PTH:

Just like the lives of the Iranians, Palestinians, Saudis, Pakistanis, Sudanese, iraqis, Yemeni? Sorry i prefer to pass.

sigh. . .
the return of davidlyan . . .
back to defecate in the mosque his favorite pastime

i wonder how much time you actually spend being a christian?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by DisGuy: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2007
erm very little, i think this is his idea of spreading the gospel grin
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by PTH(m): 4:53pm On Aug 06, 2007
oyb:

sigh. . .
the return of davidlyan . . .
back to defecate in the mosque his favorite pastime

i wonder how much time you actually spend being a christian?

grin grin grin not even you could refute the truth. If islam is a religion of peace can you explain why we have so much "peace" in Sudan?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2007
fellow muslims,

lets ignore this fellow.i know it won't be easy

his life revolves around seeking attention, and maligning muslims/Islam/Allah
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by PTH(m): 6:12pm On Aug 06, 2007
oyb:

fellow muslims,

lets ignore this fellow.i know it won't be easy

his life revolves around seeking attention, and maligning muslims/Islam/Allah

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin dont be ridiculous. I didnt malign you but merely refuted a point.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Iman3(m): 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2007
Can any Muslim explain to me the meaning of the following verse:

YUSUFALI: Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).
PICKTHAL: Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great.
SHAKIR: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

Do they oblige or condone in such contexts,the physical "reproach" of disobedient women?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 8:54am On Aug 08, 2007
fellow muslims,
There are things we can only learn as we grow older.

As a new father, I have watched my wife nuture our son through all hours of the night. this gives a much deeper understanding of the following hadith:

Abu Dawood: 2438

Narrated Mu'awiyah ibn Hayadah

I said: Apostle of Allah! to whom should I show kindness? He replied: Your mother, next your mother, next your mother, and then comes your father, and then your relatives in order of relationship.

we should all remeber to venerate our mothers, no matter how difficult it is,

Remember, paradise lies at the foot of the mother

@ iman, instead of playing follow follow for your revered mentor PTH, why don't you start a thread on your question?then you and the whole 'christian' gang can get together for another rousing 1001 posts of islam bashing.I'm sure that will make you feel much better about your personal religious state
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Iman3(m): 10:15am On Aug 08, 2007
oyb:

@ iman, instead of playing follow follow for your revered mentor PTH, why don't you start a thread on your question?then you and the whole 'christian' gang can get together for another rousing 1001 posts of islam bashing.I'm sure that will make you feel much better about your personal religious state

What precisely do you object to in someone asking about the meaning of passages from the Quran? I quoted a passage from the Quran and asked the meaning,all I get from you is irritation.

Do passages from your Quran irritate you?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by PTH(m): 3:19pm On Aug 08, 2007
anytime they have no answers to the discrepancies in their "holy" book they retreat into a corner and start foaming in the mouth all the while accusing us of islam bashing.
If bashing islam is to merely quote passages of the quran and hadith then i'm at a loss.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by pilgrim1(f): 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2007
oyb:

@oyb,

This is the kind of lazy thinking that amazes me. Sorry to breeze in here again (oops, Muhsin, no vex!). But wouldn't it have been simpler to either keep quiet and pass on if you had no answers, instead of regarding the enquiry as another spate of "Islam bashing"?

BTW, I think this issue has been roundly debated in another thread on its own (can't remember just now - but will post the link when I find it). Cheers y'all.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Seabreez15(f): 6:21pm On Aug 08, 2007
I-man:

Can any Muslim explain to me the meaning of the following verse:

YUSUFALI: Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).

Do they oblige or condone in such contexts,the physical "reproach" of disobedient women?

This "beating" should be done with a handkerchief (which shows that it's more of a symbol than "physical pain"wink.
Hope the explanation helps.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Iman3(m): 6:39pm On Aug 08, 2007
Seabreez15:

This "beating" should be done with a handkerchief (which shows that it's more of a symbol than "physical pain"wink.
Hope the explanation helps.

Thanks for the response.Given that the passage fails to mention handkerchief or any other instrument,how does that interpretation arise?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by PTH(m): 6:44pm On Aug 08, 2007
1. considering the fact that handkerchiefs probably never existed at the time the hadith was given, how can we come to the conclusion that to beat lightly is to use a hanky?

2. What is the symbolism of beating with a handkerchief? A punishment or a joke?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by pilgrim1(f): 6:50pm On Aug 08, 2007
I-man:

Thanks for the response.Given that the passage fails to mention handkerchief or any other instrument,how does that interpretation arise?

I was going to post just about the same thing when you anticipated me.

Anyhow, this was the thread I was referring to earlier: (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-25738.64.html#msg808353).

So that we don't litter this thread again and fall foul to the allegation that we're disturbing their Muslim thread, I suggest we carry this enquiry to another thread. . . probably this one:

Dealing With Stereotypes In Islam And Christianity
   (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17293.0.html#msg798463)

I beg una.

'Salam'. Blessings. grin
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Seabreez15(f): 7:28pm On Aug 08, 2007
PTH:

1. considering the fact that handkerchiefs probably never existed at the time the hadith was given, how can we come to the conclusion that to beat lightly is to use a hanky?

2. What is the symbolism of beating with a handkerchief? A punishment or a joke?

Hey,
I just used a "handkerchief" as an example, to show you that the object in question should something of that nature (and not a whip or something, )

Read the verse following the one stated above:

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard in the husband's absence what Allah would have them to guard. As to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance); for Allah is most High and Great (above you all). If you fear a breach between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family and the other from hers. If they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation; for Allah has full knowledge and is acquainted with all things." (An-Nisa': 34-35)

The bold section means that if one feels that they may get carried away or anything of the sort, they should resort to seeking a 3rd party to intervene.

Note that the Prophet (SAW) describes this beating as "dharban ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark". So this a way of symbolizing the degree of the husband's annoyance. (Note that he has taken some other steps before, including refusing to sleep in the same bed with her, which is extreme! (at least in my opinion)). Also note that Islam forbids this light tap to be on the face, another point stressing that this "beating" is only a symbolism.
The Prophet(SAW) also gave as example a siwak (=chewing stick) as an object that could be used to tap one's wife in cases of extreme misconduct, after which all other means have failed.

Should also like to point out that the Prophet (SAW) himself never tapped any of his wives or any female and always said that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives.

In addition, to show you that this tapping is meant to be anything but violent: "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?” (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43) (Hadith =oral traditions relating to the words and deeds of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) )

For more info: click http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544256.

If you have any more questions, you are welcome to ask them!
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Iman3(m): 8:25pm On Aug 08, 2007
Thanks for your considered response.So Islam recommends that one of the ways to resolve marital disputes is to tap your wife with a "chewing stick".

I still think there is an obvious difference between "beat (lightly)" and "a light tap that leaves no mark" .'To beat' is not to the same as 'to tap'.While calling the attention of someone,we may tap them on the shoulder,we do not beat them,even if lightly.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Seabreez15(f): 8:43pm On Aug 08, 2007
Should I like to reiterate the symbolism of this act.

Something of the nature that we Nigerians "hiss" to show that we are upset or pissed off about something. By hissing, we are trying to show this other person how angry we are at the moment.
And yes the "beating" referred to here means to tap lightly.

Yes, you may find it hard to understand, but that is what it means, and it has obviously been largely misinterpreted. And those beating their wives and claiming that Islam permits this shall be questioned accordingly on the Day of Judgment.

On the link pilgrm.1 posted, someone provided a link to a video of a Taliban beating a woman. That stemmed from their culture, and is no way supported in the Quran, Hadith, or Sharia.

Regards,
S.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 08, 2007
whatever you do mr seabreeze don't beat anybody even with a feather.
scourging with a handkerchief got me laughing loudly but teach men to keep their hands to themselves.

women are no horses.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Seabreez15(f): 9:43am On Aug 09, 2007
Hey babyosisi,

It's not Mr. but Ms.
And yes, if you'd like me to reiterate, the Prophet (PBUH) said, the best of men are those who do not hit their wives.

Anyways, I've answered the question posed to the best of my knowledge, so case closed.

That said, could some of you please show fellow members respect when speaking (writing) here? I believe I have not been disrespectful to anyone on any thread, so would like to request that we all show some courtesy and respect while addressing each other. I do refuse to believe that there's any non-human being on this forum.

Regards,
S.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 09, 2007
@pilgrim 1,
stop pretending to be new here,
there is absolutely no point in answering your friends' 'enquiries', they are only being mischevious.answeing their questions is a wasted pursuit.

fortunately(or maybe unfortunately), most of us are not as uncouth and sallow as your fellow 'evangelists'.running into threads to start fires tongue

anyway, keep coming back here,who knows, you just might find your way back to the right path. i admire your 'hardworking' thinking.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 09, 2007
@ seabreeze,
Salam

welcome to nairaland
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by pilgrim1(f): 12:56pm On Aug 09, 2007
@oyb,

How was I pretending to be "new" here? I think this silly under-the-bridge exculpations you guys come up with is a bit weathered now. The one thing I offered was that we try to make sense in discussing issues - was that a "new" phenomenon to justle your comfort zone?

If you've got nothing important to say, simply pass on - no one's going to increase your house rent for keeping silent! Haa!

oyb:

fortunately(or maybe unfortunately), most of us are not as uncouth and sallow as your fellow 'evangelists'.running into threads to start fires

No vex. The fires were to keep you guys warm and agile. grin We're used to all the usual skating and perforated handgloves (so to speak) coming from your camp - and that's why I urged that we took our enquiries to another thread so you guys can be tucked in here neat and tidy! Wetin bad in that?

oyb:

anyway, keep coming back here,who knows, you just might find your way back to the right path. i admire your 'hardworking' thinking.

Thanks for the offer. It's just that the more I read from you guys, the further away from Mecca I travel. No offences, . . but as usual, the next thing is that someone would amicably quote Sura 109:6 (Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.)

Anyways, enjoy. . . and dress warm. smiley
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Abidebyme(m): 10:24pm On Aug 09, 2007
As-salaam alaykum wa rahmatullah my dear brothers and sisters in faith. I'm new here and I'ld really like to appreciate this initiative and all of u for your posts.
May Allah keep us all guided and make our posts here proofs FOR and NOT against us on the day of judgement.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (32) (Reply)

What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? / Is This The Most Beautiful Mosque In Nigeria? / Where 2 Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix, Confirmed By The Quran Over 1400 Years Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.