Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,460 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? (8247 Views)

Poll: Have you ever seen or heard of a Hausa/Fulani hustling abroad?

Yes: 16% (15 votes)
No: 69% (64 votes)
Indifferent: 14% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Oldest Woman Ever Seen At A Polling Unit (photo) / Boko Haram Is NOT A Hausa/Fulani Phenomenon, It Is A Kanuri Thing / At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Sagamite(m): 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2008
ajilete:

you have completely missed th point. i have not said that all northerners are living a decent life. same way i cannot say that all southerners are suffering.
however when i said there was poverty everywhere ,there is! Please, who are the AVERAGE southerners that you know that all earn 180k? the difference between southerners and northerners is that they are ENCOURAGED to stay uneducated and poor. where as in the south even the really poor DARE TO TRY and change their lot. Even if it is selling pepper, clothes, something, anything to make a living. Basic education plays a big part. A lot of southerners know that there most be something more tha life has to offer, in the North they are encouraged to rely on someone providing for them. A lot of the problems of poverty and illiteracy in the north is caused by theri elite, the few rich and powerful cliche that are now holding everybody to ransom. they promote ignorance because it keeps those poor people poor and sick. Yes i accept that there is advert poverty in the north but there is poverty everywhere in Nigeria, people have just learnt to cope and try and change their lives.
I still maintain that a lot of Northerners wait for things to provided for them.

Whatever the means, whatever the mechanism, whatever the social structure/nurture/guidance of different geographical areas, my point still remains that on average the northerners are way more poor than the southerners and have less disposable income on average to conduct the same activities that the average southerner can.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by diggler(m): 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2008
congoshine:

. . . . . .then read through before drawing conclusions

i aint drawing conclusions man,just contributing my 2 cents conclusion is left for u.
QuotaSyste:

The colonial masters didn't appreciate any simplicity in hausa people's world view and stop confusing yourself with the simplicity of the hausa's nature to the white man's because both are no where near in comparison. If not, they the colonialists wouldn't have left their place in search of where to make MORE money which brought them to Africa and other areas of the world. The European race love money and have the urge to make money wilts aggressively more than any other race. The hausas are not known for that, so your simplicity comparison is floored.
The colonialists giving privileges and power to the hausas is because they found them as the compromising mugus. That is people that can easily be maneuvered and used to hold and arrest the development of others while milking us dry. The colonialists knew they can't try such with the igbos of nigeria and they will lose out in their long term plan. Any coincidence as to why they located all nigeria's military installations in the northern part of nigeria before leaving? Because they trusted those mugus and illiterates to look after their oil in the Niger Delta without causing them sleepless nights and you can see that their evil plan is still working until today 2008.  Go back to read the history of nigeria/colonialists power play. Akanu Ibiam, an Igbo was knighted and he threw it back at the queen, so being knighted has no meaning.

dude u brokedown my points real good.
i feel tho that we r share d same view on this because they got d privilidges because their society was as u implied 'muguish' whilst southern society was & still is more complex & advanced.
QuotaSyste:

There is no right you can play to take back power from them. Everything is already programmed for them by the British and they get everyday advise from their masters at No10 Downing street. If you are thinking of playing right, then you will keep on dreaming. They manipulated the census to favor them, so if you wait to win correct election and wrestle power from, then as i said above, you will keep on dreaming. The only way will be by force. They have played into our hands by admitting there was agreement to rotate power and that was in their greedy quest to get power back to the north by all means after OBJ. Good and fine, lets wait for them to finish Yar'adua's term and lets see the next spin they will bring about, then blows will fly across if the power will not come back to the south. Power coming back to the south through rotation is definitely not what you meant by saying "playing the right game"

However i'll disagree with you on this because power truly is cyclic & history don prove am.
where the Roman, Greek, British, Ottoman and all em ancient empires at.

Also take the Jews for example, a jew running for d white house is sensational (less than a black man doing so no doubt), but my point is the  backbone of americas economy ie. Wall street is run by these peeps infact the Global Financial system belongs to them.
Which sect i n history has been as marginalized as these people, yet they still run things.
For a second before anyone brings in the 'Gods own people twist' na as u help your self na so God go help u.

So rather than give up, or just whine bout it, we should put our thinking caps on & leverage our strengths to achieve our aim.
like i mentioned, the boys in the creeks if they can overcome the temptations of criminality have the power to bring this country and them Northern elite to its knees.
So also the other ethnic groups afterall all said and done na Yoruba get Lagos & d engine room of d economy, my people d igbos also have their fingas in some sticky pies.

Bottom line is we've been so busy in the south selling each other out which is why them abokis r getting their way.

Babangida, Abacha & co will tell u that without some high level southern collabration their looting esp the laundering of same would've been impossible.

Let me reiterate, no conclusions r being reached here, i just they yarn.
You BE THE JUDGE
peace
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by congoshine(m): 12:56am On Sep 13, 2008
So ,has anybody seen/heard of them 'hustling'?
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by congoshine(m): 6:52pm On Sep 18, 2008
Anybody?
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Femonjay(m): 12:00am On Feb 24, 2009
they don't go there to hustle they are waiting for you here,

at airport hotel, Alade market, Sheraton to help you change $ and £

that you brought from your hustling over there
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by ijawgirl: 1:41am On Feb 24, 2009
all this hausa bashing on Nairaland undecided
all the Hausa's I have met, were very nice, caring and generous
It was Hausa men that protected my grand mother when armed robbers wanted to steal from her
I am yet to see a wicked or ignorant hausa
all the negative sturvs I have hrd about Hausa's, I normally see it online or when it comes to politics(ahlaji Dokubo Asari calling them parasites and so on etc lipsrsealed
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Becomrrich: 3:39am On Feb 24, 2009
why would the hausa /fulani hust abroad, when they get 65% of the oil money.

Now of the total revenue in nigeria. The north get 60% of the money with thier less than 40 % of the population of nigeria. they recieve 65% of the money. How you may ask, let me break it down into figure.

25% of federal allocation goes to thier pet Northern project called ABUJA. of the 54% to the federal govt.
50% of the money goes to minisitries. 60% is used in the north and you remember the repos local government of oyo state, an imaginary local govt. in the last 20 years yorubaland have not seen any completed really federal project of important. And some heartless people want us to remain in nigeria. God would deal with them and thier children.
25% goes for the president and others. 70% of this money is used in the north)

Now let do the calculation. of the 50% that goes to the ministries, that is 30% and add this to 25% of abuja is 55%. Now of the 25% that goes to the president and others. 70% is used in the north. which is 17.5% . If you add this to the 55% , you get 70%,

so 25% [abuja] + 30% [ministries] + 17.5% [presidency and others.] = 25 + 30 + 17.5 = 72.5% of federal allocation

and 72.5% of 54% of the total allocation is 39.15 %

Now let go to the local government allocation. 21% , of this amount, please verify on the official website of the ministries of finance. the north get about 57% of the amount.
57% of 21% is 11.7 %.

now to state allocation, The north get about 40% of the amount, this is because of 13% oil derivation. 40% of 25% is 10%,

So what the north get is 39.15 [federal] + 11.7 [local goverment] + 10[state] == 60. 85 %

So 60.85% of the total allocation of nigeria goes to the north,

First of all let me help you react to this . If chief obafemi awolowo was alife, he would realy weep in his gravel.

You find many people call themself awo but they rob thier people. How can a man who have rob his people claim he follows the principle of awo?

Awo stood against injustice , and any form of injustice, do you find this people talking about what they have done to the yoruba people. No? some have become rich by telling a lies that they believe in awo. Awo was no thief. We could blame yoruba leaders for part of this too, because you would ask, what were they looking when the people lifes got to this point.

I think they say the fear of EFCC is the start of wisdom. No man who is afraid of EFCC is a yoruba leader , no man who is scared of YAr adua or the north is a yoruba leader. How can you sit among them and eat. and the same people you call your "friend and business partner" , do this to your people.

We Yorubas believe that we would be better off with Benin . Look we have done our figure and we would be far far better off.

Ghana budget is about $5 billion. The new republic of benin budget cant not be less than $10 billion. And at the moment we are only getting just $3.0 billion from the federal goverment. So we are far better of in benin republic.

Do not let any yoruba thief , who have stole from government now tell you we should remain in nigeria for what.? Do not associate with him or have anything to do with him. he is jsut a common thief. We in the Egbe Omo Odua have never stole before and will would never steal, we are God fearing people and we would never mislead you.

We have done the calculation. little oil is better than plenty oil, if you are not getting the money and is going into someone else pocket. Here is a picture of the oilfield in Nigeria. So that the north can see it. That they do not need us, All they need is the east. they can see where the oil is and take it , and they can let our people go join the republic of Benin. Anybody who does not want to go with us can keep his nigeria passport and relocate. And i would see if that nigeria passport can even give him visa to somalia without been search to his pants if he is a thief or carrying drugs.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by gadogado(m): 7:35am On Feb 24, 2009
The myth and realities of Northern domination in Nigerian politics
By Tanko Abdullahi Umaru
FIELD work was undertaken between February 2nd and May 7th 2008. A large volume of secondary and statistical data on representation of state, geo-political zones, groups and regions in federal service agencies were collected and interviews were conducted with selected target respondents as indicated in the progress report.
The central theme or focus of the research deals with the myth and realities of Northern domination or allegations of domination in contemporary Nigerian politics. It is premised on a critique of the veracity of much of the impressions currently pushed in the print and electronic media, publications in academic journals and in public consciousness and discourse, regarding Nigerian politics in the recent past. Impressions about facts in Nigeria seem largely inconsistent with the facts that are evident in available sources and data collected. These misrepresentations, exprerience has shown affect efforts aimed at nation building in Nigeria over the years.
The key questions the research seeks to answer are:
1. Has the North really dominated political power and economic resources in the politics of Nigeria from independence in 1960 to 2007?
2. Does the record on ground in terms of control of key indices of power i.e. the bureaucracy, actually reflect Northern domination?
3. Does the nature of political appointments or staffing in federal establishments either in the past or in the present reflect Northern domination?
Summary of field activities carried out
The researcher visited number federal parastatals/institutions in Lagos and Abuja to collect data on regional, geo-political and state representation in the federal service, between February 2nd and 7th May, 2008. Federal parastatals/institutions visited are located in Lagos, Abuja, Kano, and Port Harcourt and include the following. The federal office of statistics, Ikoyi, Lagos office, federal ministry of works, Ikoyi, Lagos office, the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority Lagos and MTN office, Victoria Island, Lagos. Others are the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons and Other Related Matters (NAPTIP), Abuja, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), central area, Abuja, the Federal Character Commission, central area, Abuja, the Federal Civil Service Commission, Wuse zone 3, Abuja, the office of the Secretary to the Federal Government (SGF), federal secretariat, Abuja, the National Planning Commuission old CBN building, Garki, Abuja, the Agency for Small and Medium Scale Industries (SMEIDAN), presidency, Abuja, the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), area II, Garki, Abuja, the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation (NOA), radio central area, Abuja, the Nigerian Security, Printing and Minting Company, Asokoro, Abuja, The National Assembly, three arms zone, Abuja, Federal Character Commission, Kano and Port-Harcourt offices among others. Materials collected include the nominal staff roll showing staff strength and representation on regional, geo-political and state basis. In addition, interviews were also conducted and discussions held with some serving and retired civil servants to get their views on group domination and marginalization in the federal service and Nigerian politics generally.
Observations and findings
A number of observations which can stand as tentative findings on the complex issue of domination in Nigerian politics looking at key indices of power and control in the federal service by regions, geo-political zones, can still be made even though the research is still ongoing.
A critical observation of the representation and distribution of states, geo-political zones, groups and regions at this level, i.e. in the federal service and federal parastatals clearly contradicts opinion presented in available sources in the print and electronic media, academic journals, public consciousness and discourse over time in the country. On the issue of allegation of domination of political power and by extension, economic resources by the North, because of its control of political leadership for a large part of Nigeria’s existence since independence, does not reflect what concretely exists in terms of representation and control of the federal service and agencies. For example in just two of the federal agencies the National Electric Power Authority (NEPA), now Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), and the Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company (NSPMC), available statistics in the period under review shows that dominance of these parastatals in regional terms indicates dominance by the South (68. 56 per cent) over the North (31.44 per cent) in the Power Holding Company of Nigeria and South (63.16 per cent) over North’s (36.84 per cent) at the management level and South (16.87) over the North’s (38.13), at the junior staff level in the Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company respectively. This is clearly a violation of the Federal Character principle that each region should at least constitute 50 per cent of the federal service. This is inspite of the fact that the Northern region has more than 54 per cent (2006 national census) of the country’s population. Geo-political dominance within the same federal agency shows the South-West (30.83 per cent) dominating others. This is also against the Federal Character formula which states that “at the national level the indigenes of a zone shall constitute not less than 15 per cent and not more than 18 per cent of the work force in a federal agency or parastatal. In terms of state representation (Ogun (9.2 per cent), state dominates. This also is above what is prescribed in the Federal Character formula and negates the provision which states that indigenes of a state shall constitute not less than 2.5 per cent and not more than three per cent of the total work force in a federal agency aor parastatal. Conversely states like Bayelsa (0.29 per cent), Cross River (0.68 per cent) located in the South South, Gombe ( 0.39 per cent), Taraba (0.33 per cent), Yobe (0.69 per cent) all located in the North-East, did not meet up with the prescribed minimum of 2.5 per cent of the total workforce. Data and statistics collected so far seem to suggest that similar situations may exist in the Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company (NSPMC), the armed forces, police and other arms of the federal service.
In terms of state domination in the federal service and marginalisation of others as a result of this, available statistics in the period under review, like what we have in the two parastatals discussed above, indicates that most states in the Northern part of the country are least represented (especially, states in the North-East: Yobe, and North-West: Jigawa and Zamfara), states like Ebonyi in the South-East and Bayelsa in the South-South geo-political zones, all located in the Southern region, are also less represented or dominated like those of the North by domineering states like Ogun ( in the South-West), Delta (located in the South-South and Imo in the South-East, among others.
Available statistics in the federal service from field work and data collected so far, indicate that inspite of efforts by the Federal Character Commission at addressing regional, geopolitical and states imbalance in terms of representation at the federal level, there is an overbearing dominance of the South over the North generally, and the South-West, South-South and South-East geo-political zones over others. The least represented and therefore, the most dominated states are Jigawa and Zamfara in the North-West and Yobe in the North-East all categorized in the least represented and dominated zones of North-West and North -East in Nigeria politics.
Deep animosities and grievances still exist in dangerous dimensions between groups in Nigeria at five levels mostly arising from resource sharing and control of political office and the federal service being the centres of control and allocation of federal resources.
1. The animosity beetween the North and the South
2. The animosity between the two dominant religions in the country, Christians and Muslims, this dimension of the animosities and grievances is given impetus by regional elite manipulation of the sharp division of the country into a predominantly Muslim North and Christian South, for their own selfish motive in the bid to gain access control of political power or accrue more resources to themself.
3.The animosity between groups with a regions i.e. minority versus majority groups over resource sharing and political representation across the two broad regions in Nigeria.
4. The overbearing dominance of some states at regional and geo-political levels like Ogun state in the South-West, Delta in the South-South, Imo in the South-East among others.
5. The rabid and stiff struggle for resource control and sharing of political offices and the benefits accruing from these, which exist between and among various elites at national, regional and state levels.
These unsettled animosities and grievances, transmitted under the guise of allegations of domination, via the media, in public discourse, etc, most often seem to contribute in large measure to the galvanisation of derogatory opinion against some groups, particular region or ethnic group among Nigerians which has most often generated hatred against the particular group and region portrayed as dominating. Like in the past the hatred generated from these is presently expressed in violence against the target groups or people. This situation obviously, constitutes a serious threat to the national security and stability of the Nigerian state and if left unchecke by the federal, state may serve as a potential for stimulating a chain of unending conflicts, as the various groups alleging and counter alleging domination, plot to tame or prevent their perceived domination by a group or region within the Nigerian political system. Events currently going on in the Niger Delta support and buttress this assertion.
Conclusion
Conclusively therefore, data so far collected from field research seems to suggest that allegations of domination of Nigerian politics by the North as a result of its control of political leadership for most of Nigeria’s history, since independence are not true. As it is, other reasons/factors which may emerge or be unveiled from more data to be collected in the course of the research which is still ongoing may give a clearer view or true picture of the situation i.e. power configuration in Nigeria. There are still a number of possibilities with regards to answers to the research questions.
Culled from IFRA Newsletter, Vol. XV, 2008
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by congoshine(m): 8:07am On Feb 24, 2009
Hustling is not in their blood

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by gadogado(m): 8:58am On Feb 24, 2009
I think most of you guys are funny!!and the ignorance is serious on this thread.I actually had a yoruba principal in secondary school who had lived in the north (kaduna and jos) for almost two decades at the time,and he told me there's money in the north.he said this id imagine after careful analysis and experience having lived in the region for that long.
Anyway,is the north truely that much poorer than the south??i highly doubt it,some of you will say "almajiris" without knowing what that means, almajiri translates in old arabic as student.almajiris are quranic students that are sent from their homes not coz of poverty but coz of learning the quran,they practice living on the most minimal and basic levels to strengthen them spiritually.in a way,they are our version of monks.i doubt that they beg coz their families have absolutely nothing and are utterly incapable of feeding them.thats really not the case and if you doubt me,pull any random almajiri off the street and begin your case study,trace him back to his village and see his parents and you'll be surprised that they are not starving,not in the least bit.not rich at all but certainly not starving,its a culture thing that southerners especially those prone to bashing northerners wouldnt understand coz its totally alien.i dont want to offend anybody's ethnic stock or religion. God forbid but bashing the north is simply in my opinion a reflection of:
1. ignorance
2. frustration born out of jelousy of northern power domination
3. lack of information and prejudice

To be honest, i really think the reason the british had a soft spot for northerners is religion. this is only my humble opinion. the british also gave power to the northern sudanese (arabs) over the southerners.coz when they came to the area known as nigeria,it was the northerners that worshipid God and were muslim while the southerners were mostly pagan,same in sudan.otherwise,it'd be in their interest to leave power in the south where they shared a christian affinity with by the time they left,same with arabs in sudan,why leave power with them when they can leave it with the southern sudanese pagans and animists.the british respected religious societies and harboured extreme contempt for paganistic societies. if the north is so so so intellectually backward or at least behind the south as some have insinuated then why hasnt the south been able to wrest power from the north since the british are long gone. the idea that you are smarter than me yet i control your country politically which you have been struggling to get back but unsuccessful is a fallacy and an impossibility. food for thought,and stop with the northern bashing,it really cheapens you.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by gadogado(m): 9:08am On Feb 24, 2009
@congoshine
the people that wait at airports to exchange dollars for you,thats not hustling abi? the bureau de changes in nigeria are dominated by northerners. but thats not hustling,its better for me to stay and hustle in my country than go to someone elses country and become a pseudo slave,a contemporary serf, a modern day peasant.its much better to remain on your land than run away to be mistreated in another land.shebi there are skin heads and neo nazis in europe that attack black people aand kill you coz they dont want you on their land.theyre all over russia and germany etc. a hausa man doesnt like living where there are no mosques with loud calls for prayer shooting from the loud speaker = ALLAHU AKBAR.
hausa people are hustlers to the core. even the market for gold, the sellers are predominantly hausa.infact God bless hausa people.atleast they dont give their country a bad name abroad.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by congoshine(m): 9:54am On Feb 24, 2009
gadogado:

@congoshine
the people that wait at airports to exchange dollars for you,thats not hustling abi? the bureau de changes in nigeria are dominated by northerners. but thats not hustling,its better for me to stay and hustle in my country than go to someone elses country and become a pseudo slave,a contemporary serf, a modern day peasant.its much better to remain on your land than run away to be mistreated in another land.shebi there are skin heads and neo nazis in europe that attack black people aand kill you coz they dont want you on their land.theyre all over russia and germany etc. a hausa man doesnt like living where there are no mosques with loud calls for prayer shooting from the loud speaker = ALLAHU AKBAR.
hausa people are hustlers to the core. even the market for gold, the sellers are predominantly hausa.infact God bless hausa people.atleast they dont give their country a bad name abroad.

My friend. You are one of the few northerners living abroad.

The point of the thread is that most literate northerners are able to get govt jobs and generally life is good for them in Nigeria. Same cannot be said of southerners.

And the dollar-changing business at the airport is that legal? I don't want to be tribal ,ok? One Nigeria !!

gadogado:

I think most of you guys are funny!!and the ignorance is serious on this thread.I actually had a yoruba principal in secondary school who had lived in the north (kaduna and jos) for almost two decades at the time,and he told me there's money in the north.he said this id imagine after careful analysis and experience having lived in the region for that long.
Anyway,is the north truely that much poorer than the south??i highly doubt it,some of you will say "almajiris" without knowing what that means, almajiri translates in old arabic as student.almajiris are quranic students that are sent from their homes not coz of poverty but coz of learning the quran,they practice living on the most minimal and basic levels to strengthen them spiritually.in a way,they are our version of monks.i doubt that they beg coz their families have absolutely nothing and are utterly incapable of feeding them.thats really not the case and if you doubt me,pull any random almajiri off the street and begin your case study,trace him back to his village and see his parents and you'll be surprised that they are not starving,not in the least bit.not rich at all but certainly not starving,its a culture thing that southerners especially those prone to bashing northerners wouldnt understand coz its totally alien.i dont want to offend anybody's ethnic stock or religion.

Nobody wants to offend anybody's religion,but pls don't start explaining almajiris,I have lived in the north,this has nothing to do with Islam ,but has all to do with wickedness. How can you explain away exposing children to the elements without any semblance of care & you try to wrap it around religion. Does such nonsense exist in Saudi Arabia,or any serious muslim country for that matter? the Kano state gov(Shekarau) said there's nothing wrong with almajiri.

When people try to avoid tough issues they get me mad. Obama was criticised for addressing the 'absent father' problem in the African-American community head-on. Pls face this problem don't try to wrap it around religion. Its inhumane. Can you allow your own children go around with plates,sleeping on the streets? what is wrong is wrong !!!

gadogado:

God forbid but bashing the north is simply in my opinion a reflection of:
1. ignorance
2. frustration born out of jelousy of northern power domination
3. lack of information and prejudice

You are missing the point. i don't have any problem with people having political power,what I need is results. For all the north's political dominance,where is Nigeria today?? So as a northerner you should hold your head in shame that your elders have not made use of their 'dominance'.

Dominance my foot. 49 years ,no electricity,no factories,all the textile mills in the north are dead, poverty rate in Jigawa is over 90&,illiteracy-not worth measuring. if you are really concerned,please take up your northern elite including Emirs.

Believe me I am very well informed and not tribalistic ,just very factual .

gadogado:

@congoshine
To be honest, i really think the reason the british had a soft spot for northerners is religion. this is only my humble opinion. the british also gave power to the northern sudanese (arabs) over the southerners.coz when they came to the area known as nigeria,it was the northerners that worshipid God and were muslim while the southerners were mostly pagan,same in sudan.otherwise,it'd be in their interest to leave power in the south where they shared a christian affinity with by the time they left,same with arabs in sudan,why leave power with them when they can leave it with the southern sudanese pagans and animists.the british respected religious societies and harboured extreme contempt for paganistic societies. if the north is so so so intellectually backward or at least behind the south as some have insinuated then why hasnt the south been able to wrest power from the north since the british are long gone. the idea that you are smarter than me yet i control your country politically which you have been struggling to get back but unsuccessful is a fallacy and an impossibility. food for thought,and stop with the northern bashing,it really cheapens you.

Don't even go there. They left power to people they could manipulate. don't lets go there ,ok? Worship of God,while you fellow human beings suffer,is that what religion teaches?? Stealing billions ,buying houses abroad,while everyone has to buy generator?

Don't mix things up my friend.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by chris2h(m): 10:46am On Jun 03, 2009
This is a very stupid topic!What happened to one Nigeria? As a northerner who is "hustling" I have read most of the posts and the perspectives offered here are not only ignorant and not well thought through, they are full of tribalism and a lack of belief in our system which though however archaic, works and will be fixed one day either by natural or artificial causes.I have come to understand that Life wherever you are (locally or in diaspora) is about finding your calling. It does not matter what tribe you are or what  blood flows in your veins. What matters is your belief in yourself and your ability to demonstrate sympathy  to your  fellow human being.

Talking about tribes, we should not forget that Nigeria is not a "one plus one country" but a country with about 700 languages and dialects. But Im not surprised anyway. Most of the users in Nairaland are from the south or have southern perspectives (one way and very very narrow!) which stems from an inferiority complex which of course is the reason for this thread in the first place!

No wonder the south always has disdain for the north.

*Shakes his head in disgust
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by KnowAll(m): 11:19am On Jun 03, 2009
Why we have an Hausa Ambassador in the UK I don’t understand, the appointment does not reflect the ethnic composition of Nigerians in the UK nor the Ambassadors ability to understand the plights of southern Nigerians since most northerners tend to go back home immediately after their primary assignments whether it is schooling, conferences or other renditions as the case may be. I will be surprise however, if Nigeria has ever appointed a Christian either southerner or northerner as an Ambassador to Saudi Arabia. The same argument can also be said of Abuja no southerner has been appointed as the Minister of the FCT in this new dispensation.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by philip0906(m): 2:46pm On Jun 03, 2009
Why we have an Hausa Ambassador in the UK I don’t understand, the appointment does not reflect the ethnic composition of Nigerians in the UK nor the Ambassadors ability to understand the plights of southern Nigerians since most northerners tend to go back home immediately after their primary assignments whether it is schooling, conferences or other renditions as the case may be. I will be surprise however, if Nigeria has ever appointed a Christian either southerner or northerner as an Ambassador to Saudi Arabia. The same argument can also be said of Abuja no southerner has been appointed as the Minister of the FCT in this new dispensation.
GBAM! lipsrsealed
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by tpiah: 2:48pm On Jun 03, 2009
since most northerners tend to go back home immediately after their primary assignments whether it is schooling, conferences or other renditions as the case may be

maybe that's why the ambassador is Hausa?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by AloyEmeka9: 3:35pm On Jun 03, 2009
I agree with your point.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Eziachi: 4:41pm On Jun 03, 2009
They maybe cattle rearers, Maigaurds, illiterates,  Kola-gworo sellers, car washers in Saudi or Bagdad, they are still in charge of your country, they are ruling you, they decides who dies and who lives, they decides who eats and who starves, they are still milking your natural wealth, they are as we speak bombing your villages and they will still decide what you are entitled to, over what is rightly yours

Their is no point whining, the Hausa/Fulani are your masters till tomorrow, any man that rules over your head is superior to you, so the gworo people are your superiors.  Those who fought for what you eventually got now between 1967-1970 but thinking they fighting for a united state of Africa called Nigeria, has no business now complaining.

There is a saying of my people that "The Boy who went into the bush and collected firewoods full of ants, is the one that invited all the lizard for a party" unquote.
Only few self pride southerners still thinks that sons of Dan Fodio are stupid, just because they don't have many unemployed proffessors like those in the south.
Supports Biafran option today

Oduduwa
Arewa
Delta
Biafra
Let every man go home and fix their own problem.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by erico2k2(m): 5:13pm On Jul 07, 2009
@AZEACHI

from you own postings someone already answered lol

Quote from: pres-elect on July 02, 2009, 05:25 AM
nigeria will never break up. and that is very,very,very bad news. not until that oil is finished. then the corruption will go, and the country can break.

it will be good to see igbos united. though i doubt it. my experience in nigeria was that a lot of igbos in rivers and delta were changing their surnames to some english names and claiming rivers as their ethnic group as if rivers is a language Grin someone even told me that she is not igbo, instead she is ibo(she is from delta state) that those across the niger are the igbos, those on the other side of the niger are ibo Grin Grin so pathetic. and the babe name na nkechi Grin Grin Grin

na wa o. well, i'll love to see igbos united but i dont see it happening soon

And how united is your tribe? Tell us now and don't hide behind you closet hatred, since you have become expert on Igboland. And how united is your family, starting with your mum and dad? I am sure they never ever disagree because they must be robots.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 5:22pm On Jul 07, 2009
I know couple in Canada
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by tayo4lif: 6:22pm On Jul 07, 2009
no
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by vigasimple(m): 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2009
KnowAll:

The above is a clear example of the Northern Politician being very shrewed and cunny. Infact an average Northerner will NEVER ACCEPT a non Northerner to ever become an Ambassador to Saudi Arabi. The northern elders play politics and control their people whether rightly or wrongly, they co-operate.

Northerners in Nigeria may not hustle abroad for several reasons, majority are not educated , and don't speak English, and cultural wise, they rather go to a muslim dominated country for pilgrimage etc like going to Saudi Arabia.

THEY DON'T GO TO APPLY FOR VISA IN THE FIRST PLACE, WHY WOULD THEY GO AND HURSTLE WHEN THERE IS ALLOCATION TO BE SHARED FROM OIL MONEY FROM THE 'STUPID' PEOPLE OF THE SOUTH
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by generalzango(m): 10:10pm On Jul 07, 2009
BIG IDIOTS,always complaining about Arewa, "No be when your house no fit contain you,you go beg another person to allow you sleep for him own? We have any natural resources you can think of,we are can feed both NIGERIA & the so called biafra. We have a blessed arable land,so FARMING is our pride. It's because of your stupidity (Mr. poster) you do not know that we even have Oil see for yourself:- http://allafrica.com/stories/200906241094.html or check http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/06/24/oil-exploration-to-resume-in-bauchi-gombe/comment-page-1/ Here you will see that we (AREWAs) know what we have up there. We are FARMERS & thesame time we will be OIL explorers by that time your oil would have dried up,suckers. In the early 90s the money used in bringing Nigeria up & even the so called Refinaries was raised by the North from the cash crop export,yet we are not & will not complain becos we have enough. Talking about JAMB,in AREWA Land EXPO is a taboo,not like the South & especially East were it is welcomed.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by ikeyman00(m): 11:30pm On Jul 07, 2009
yes there are lots of hausa in Uk along

however u wouldnt recgonise them when they walk pass

they are completely different from those zombies and vampires in the north and more liberal

alot of them are even christain, some plaint their hair, so there is no way u will know

they are there, i have seen many!! completely diferent from those gworo dug out u have at the north
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by generalzango(m): 11:37pm On Jul 07, 2009
@quotasyste,which economic mismanagement is it that of the 1st Nigerian Male Governor to dress like a woman, or the BILLIONS stolen by Orji Uzor Kalu,lets see that of James Ibori, or the multimillion manhood restorer Sam Edem,Peter Odili, Dan Etete these are the no 1 share holders in Abuja,they stole & invested in F.C.T. You guys keep on,spoiling our name even outside,the business you involve yourselves is either Fraud or Drug what a shame to southerners. We (NORTHERNERS) can never do evil just to make a living. You guys,have made the white man not to trust the Blacks,it's a big SHAME evil people. You dupe and run back to Naija to flex. SHAME!!!
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Bialegend(m): 12:35am On Jul 08, 2009
generalzango:

@quotasyste,which economic mismanagement is it that of the 1st Nigerian Male Governor to dress like a woman, or the BILLIONS stolen by Orji Uzor Kalu,lets see that of James Ibori, or the multimillion manhood restorer Sam Edem,Peter Odili, Dan Etete these are the no 1 share holders in Abuja,they stole & invested in F.C.T. You guys keep on,spoiling our name even outside,the business you involve yourselves is either Fraud or Drug what a shame to southerners. We (NORTHERNERS) can never do evil just to make a living. You guys,have made the white man not to trust the Blacks,it's a big SHAME evil people. You dupe and run back to Naija to flex. SHAME!!!
Ewu awusa gworo chewing mallam, all the looted Niger Delta oil money kept in foreign banks by your illiterate people is not evil? The chaotic situation/falling living standard in the Niger Delta today that was caused by your illiterate mallams whom have been ruling nigeria is not evil? Nama, kpeeehhheeee.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Beaf: 9:36am On Jul 08, 2009
Moslems are unlikely to be found hustling in Christian countries. It depends where.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Chiddysville(m): 12:21pm On Jul 08, 2009
On a lighter note, anything about my Arewa brothers has always been a paradox. They always shout one Nigeria but would start killing fellow Nigerians from the southern part on a mere cartoon problem in Europe. Secondly, it is a known fact that my Arewa brothers are the highest users of hard drugs in Nigeria whereas their religion vehemently forbids it. Thirdly, an average arewa brother is very very promiscous especially when it concerns a southern lady. They are ready to embezzle the whole oil money from the Niger Delta to satisfy their lust but they wouldn't allow their wives to express themselves or come out without dressing like a masquerade.
In addition to this, an average arewa brother cannot do without cursing himself, his relatives or his generation in a day. At the slightest provocation, you'll hear God punish my mama or i dey craze? Furthermore, an average elite arewa brother is a smart pen robber. You can enquire from IBB, Abachas, Atiku et al. But the funniest part is, i can't do without them, lol
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by congoshine(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2009
The question is hausa/fulani NOT Northerners in general.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Chiddysville(m): 2:25pm On Jul 08, 2009
Shut up! Who ask you? You wey go hustling wetin you bring come back? Teacher teach me nonsense; Aboki na aboki.
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Beaf: 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2009
Aboki is a racist word (used in this context)
Re: Have You Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Hausa/Fulani 'hustling' Abroad? by Chiddysville(m): 4:55pm On Jul 08, 2009
I meant no harm my brother. Just the general term for my brothers up north

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! / ACN Vows To Challenge Mimiko's Election Victory / No ₦6 Billion Judgment Against Dakuku Peterside — Legal Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.