Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? (14846 Views)

Lady Vomitting Blood In Ikorodu Was Not A Runs Girl, Not Thrown From Car / Lady Spotted Vomitting Blood In Ikorodu (Photo) / Oranges With Positive HIV Aids Blood In It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by omo07(f): 4:31am On Jul 20, 2006
really,
well here u can give blood as long as u have been out of the country for at least a year, [thats all foreign countries], i went to nigerian last july, so i can't give blood till this august
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by WesleyanA(f): 5:23am On Jul 20, 2006
omo07:

really,
well here u can give blood as long as u have been out of the country for at least a year, [thats all foreign countries], i went to nigerian last july, so i can't give blood till this august

Oh. that makes better sense. smiley
I knew these people couldn't be this shallow.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by T2(m): 7:51am On Jul 20, 2006
I suffered the same embarrassment, I was going to give free blood o, with some pips from work.

If its the 1st time you will have to fill some form and yeah they specifically mentioned Nigeria and some other west African countries.

For Nigeria it was mainly because of HIV.

HIV-2 specifically which is concentrated in West Africa. Because HIV-2 is rare, routine blood screening test in North America might not detect the virus. 
HIV-1 on the other hand is more common (in the rest of the world), easier to detect and has more effective antiretroviral drugs (for obvious reasons)

By the way, if you were born in the UK you will also not qualify because of some disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), so dont feel bad, the nurse saw the look on my face and went red trying to explain it wasnt a prejudiced decision, warever e pain me
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2006
@t2

oga una do well oh! thank you!
that is the only reason ive heard so far that makes sense! HIV-2 makes a lot of sense because it is concentrated in west africa and there probably isnt much incentive to test for it. thats prolly why naija and those other countries were mentioned and not places in east africa or south africa with high HIV prevalance. it also accounts for the 'if you have ever had sex with a nigerian' lol
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Nobody: 1:37am On Jul 21, 2006
Yeah i couldnt donate blood because the list said you cant give blood if youve lived in the following countries since 197, something cant remember and nigeria was on the list. i was like wow okay

its all good i dont like needles anyways saves me from pain

but i really wanted to give blood.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Reverend(m): 7:41am On Jul 21, 2006
@ ZuluNation

People normally give blood on the grounds that they will be helping the sick. It is supposed to be an unselfish donation to help your fellow man. In the UK all you get is a cup of tea and a buscuit for your donation  grin

All I can see from your post was that you were only interested in the 2 x $40!

As for your question about the acceptability of your blood, the following is the reality:-

Hepatitis C

Nigeria belongs to the group of countries highly endemic for viral hepatitis. In fact about 75% of the Nigerian population is likely to have been exposed to the hepatitis viruses at one time or the other in their life and about 7% of these will die from its complications.

The Registry Ban

The Registry prevents all people who have lived in the Western African countries
of Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon or[b] Niger [/b] after 1977 from serving as donors.

The ban, which followed a similar 1996 FDA recommendation for the nation's blood banks, was implemented because a strain of HIV known as HIV-1 Group O, which is different from the prevalent U.S. strain, is found in these countries, and the "only way to determine" whether donors who lived in these nations are "free of [this] strain ,  is to use a test, called Western blot, that is too time-consuming and la-bor-intensive to be used in mass blood screenings!

So it seems that they would accept blood from Nigerians, but the tests required to make the extra screenings are just too expensive and take too long to make it viable for mass blood donations!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by edygirl(f): 7:43am On Jul 21, 2006
Nonsense!!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 9:17am On Jul 21, 2006
@reverend

its actually HIV-2
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Reverend(m): 9:26am On Jul 21, 2006
gigitte:

@reverend

its actually HIV-2

The reason for the Registry ban is the HIV-1 strain and has nothing to do with the type 2 mutation. That is why they will not accept his blood.

The strains of HIV-1 that have caused the worldwide pandemic of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) have been designated as group M viruses. A group of HIV-1 viruses that also cause AIDS but that are characterized by extensive genetic divergence from group M strains have been identified recently and classified as group O viruses. Group O viruses or serologic evidence of group O infection have been reported in patients from West and Central Africa (Cameroon, Gabon, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo), nationals of these countries living in Europe, and one French national (1-4). The antibody response elicited by group O strains is not consistently detected by enzyme immunoassay (EIA) kits commercially available in Europe and the United States (4,5). This report describes a patient in Los Angeles County, California, with recently confirmed HIV-1 group O infection in whom HIV infection was not detected consistently by standard HIV serology. *

The standard tests they use for HIV/AIDS in the USA can not detect the HIV-1 O strain. That is why the ban exists. Even though tests exist to detect this strain, they are very expensive and time consuming to carry out!

That is the whole reason for the ban!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 9:51am On Jul 21, 2006
@ reverend, all me i know is that HIV-2 is the prevalant strain of HIV in west africa, i dont get why they would be testing nigerians for HIV-1 if thats not prevalant
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Reverend(m): 9:58am On Jul 21, 2006
HIV-1 is prevelent in and specific to West and Central Africa (Cameroon, Gabon, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo).

The standard tests they use to screen blood in the USA can easily detect the HIV-2 strain, but not the HIV-1 strain!

I hope you now understand smiley
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 10:27am On Jul 21, 2006
www.cdc.gov/HIV/pubs/facts/hiv2.pdf

may the literature speak for itself grin
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by T2(m): 10:55pm On Jul 21, 2006
@gigitte
lipsrsealed LOL

@Reverend must be a typo u meant HIV-2 all d time rait? grin
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by shango(m): 8:14pm On Jul 22, 2006
I love when the WHO, Red Cross and organizations quote statistics about countries like Nigeria. Just like the statistics quoted about the Aids epidemic and how many are infected in Africa as a whole. Numerous studies by statiscians have shown such statistics even for demographics in the United States are not always all that accurate, not to talk off a country like Nigeria with half assed record keeping and census information.

75% of Nigerians have been infected with hepatitis? Get the f*** outta here. My mom is a Heamatologist and worked at Luth for years before coming to the states. That statistic is bull.

The reason why Nigerians are screened as such was stated correctly by Reverend. Its economics (like most things in this world). Testing for the prevalent HIV strain that occurs in Nigeria is more expensive, better to turn your ass around than waste money on expensive tests for free blood. They also have similar screenings for England and other non African countries as well so its not really a racial thing. But the statistics on diseases and demographics in West Africa and Nigeria as well as Blacks in the United States in particular certainly are.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 8:25pm On Jul 22, 2006
imma cosign with shango on this one

lol their statistics are WACK. that is why west africa hasnt been decimated like they said, and south africa is having serious problems lol
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 22, 2006
Men forget, God dey ur side. they've always thought naija to be frauds and quick money makers so they dont want our blood to infect others but the probs is that the innocent naija are being placed in the stage of the a$$holes that commit sh*t
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Makeda(f): 5:29am On Jul 23, 2006
@ZuluNation

Don't feel bad. I am an American and I can no longer donate blood because I have visited Nigeria. I do understand how you feel and it is very insulting. embarassed
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Reverend(m): 10:18am On Jul 23, 2006
Nobody should feel bad about steps that are taken to stop the spread of HIV or other illnesses. It is not a personal attack on anybody and people should be more responsible and adult like.

They will not even accept blood from people who have visited the UK in the past few Months because of the CJD scare (mad cow disease) or (Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease)!

The steps that are taken are not aimed at ostracizing any nation or race. They are sensible steps which are taken to protect people receiving blood transfusions and aimed at stopping the spread of disease.

Let's stop turning every conversation into a racial issue when it is not!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by grafikdon: 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2006
shango:

well so its not really a racial thing. But the statistics on diseases and demographics in West Africa and Nigeria as well as Blacks in the United States in particular certainly are.

Thank you my broda, I have been called 'extrememly sensitive' for pointing out these fabricated statistics, someone in Jerusalem will tell me my father has seven cows and one goat when actually he only has three chickens. They make their claims with such a sickening authority. So there is HIV-7, HIV-A+, HIV-B- and HIV whatever but it is extrememly exaggerated. They went as far as telling us that 500,000 people die daily from Nigeria due to HIV. To add insult to injury they also said that the life expectancy of the average Nigerian is the age of 40. Every minute you will hear how 99.9 percent of Afro American men have bloated testicles and how 100.09% of Afro American women have breast malaria and all sorts of ridiculou unfounded nonsese and bullshit.

I don't even pay much attention to these statistics and the worst part of it is that a lot of Nigerian (especially those who spend little or no time in Naija) swallow all the bullshit hook, line, sinker, fishing rod, fisherman and boat.

About the blood donation thing, I guess it is not a racist thing but who said I was going to donate blood anyway. My body doesn't accept needles. last time I got 'stabbed' in the arse with that bullshit I almost had one leg shorter that the other.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by edygirl(f): 1:12pm On Jul 23, 2006
grafikdon:

About the blood donation thing, I guess it is not a racist thing but who said I was going to donate blood anyway. My body doesn't accept needles. last time I got 'stabbed' in the arse with that bullshit I almost had one leg shorter that the other.

LMAO grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by shango(m): 3:35am On Jul 24, 2006
I don't even pay much attention to these statistics and the worst part of it is that a lot of Nigerian (especially those who spend little or no time in Naija) swallow all the bullshit hook, line, sinker, fishing rod, fisherman and boat.

I must warn you I am going to have to use that line in the future sometime, hahaha that is funny as hell. But you are absolutely right.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by uchetobi(f): 11:22am On Jul 24, 2006
wow,
everything on this page is news to me.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Panache(m): 2:23pm On Jul 24, 2006
Donating blood because of money, that's wack. Not allowing Nigerians to donate blood, stack ignorance. Not recognizing naija drivers license in Georgia, that's a blunt lie. No disrespect, I live across from a driver's license place in Cobb county, GA and also take part in county activities. My cousin just exchange his naija driver's lic. for a Georgia license. As far as I know you can drive with any foreign license in GA for 1 year.

Applying for a Georgia ID Card
Any person that is old enough to sign their name, or make a mark indicating their legal signature can apply to the DDS for a identification card. You must provide acceptable proof of identification. You can apply for an identification card if your Georgia driver license is suspended or revoked. You do not have to surrender a Georgia identification card when you get a Georgia driver license or your Georgia driver license is reinstated.

A identification card contains the same personal information, photo, signature and special protection against alteration and fraud as a driver license. The cost of the Identification Card is $20.00 for 5 years or $35 for a card valid 10 years.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1747740603&ty=dl
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by luvu567(f): 6:40pm On Jul 24, 2006
to think i was thinking of donating blood, shyyyt
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by JohnDoe(m): 12:12am On Jul 26, 2006
Heres some of the criteria from the Red cross website:

If you were born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea,Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria, since 1977.
Since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or
Had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by beyunce(f): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2006
I am surpised that U.S discriminate these african countries. I mean their blood.

But i am sure if its to donate oil. they wont mind. nonsense.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by grafikdon: 1:55pm On Jul 26, 2006
beyunce:

I am surpised that U.S discriminate these african countries. I mean their blood.

But i am sure if its to donate oil. they wont mind. nonsense.

LOMFA grin That was friggin hilarious. Yeah don't they know mosquitos poop in our oil, I heard mosquito poop is more deadly than the bite,
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by soulpatrol(f): 2:55am On Jul 27, 2006
lmao. mosquito poop?? now THATS funny!  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Rolly: 11:54pm On Jul 29, 2006
i really had no i dea that stuff like this happens!!! i'm like shocked for real?

Looks like i'm gonna try to donate blood soon i have to see this wit my own eyes!!! i tot it was just piercing over one year and tattoos and stuff like that. wow!!! is this really real? i must check this out. i'll give my experience when i'm done shocked
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by aleroaruya(f): 10:49am On Aug 01, 2006
It’s not only Nigerians that applies to, but the whole of Africa.

I happen to work with Jews, and my boss donates blood in Israel; it’s compulsory for them. Whether they like it or not they just have to donate; but the moments any of then leave their country for Africa, they stop donating! Because of their blood will no longer be accepted simply because of malaria parasite.

It’s even a sort of joke now, if you are in Israel and wants to stop the compulsory donation of blood, come to Africa. Why is that? MALARIA is the answer.
We should fight malaria and stop blaming the US for not accepting Nigerian blood, our health care system is this part of the world is a joke, so we should stop blaming them for discriminating, it’s partly our fault!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Rolly: 12:23am On Aug 02, 2006
partly our fault? shocked i think we are trying our best. them US that think they are the onwer of the world and have the best scientists, why cant dey find d cure? shit!!! even we with our blood the way its is, is more healthier than theirs and i really think we are trying our best on this malaria issue.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by aleroaruya(f): 8:41am On Aug 02, 2006
@rolly

we ain't trying nothing, all we do is fight over derivation and stuffs like that, while they (US) are busy developing their economy and building space shuttles we are busy fighting corruption, poverty and depending on them always, it sickens me sad , cant we for once do somethings for ourselves? must we continue to depend on the US to do this and that for us? I'm very sure we have enough graduates in and out of the country who are competent enough to carry out research and find cure for all these diseases, until then, we will still continue to face all these problems. I am sorry, but that's just the way it is!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Test 80million Nigerians For HIV / Copied. Wif Was Tested HIV Positive While I Was Negative. How Possible Is This ? / Weird; Man Invents Pill To Make Farts Smell Like Chocolate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.