Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:15 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (119002 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor: @MissMeiya If you're still down to learn to play chess, we should find some time this weekend to go through the basics, and move on from there.

This is so exciting! Absolutely I still want to learn! Sensei, teach me cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 7:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:
This is so exciting! Absolutely I still want to learn! Sensei, teach me cheesy
grin I'm no Sensei sincerely - no tongue twister intended - but I'm always chuffed about chess.

What's the best way to go about this?

And to start with, what's your level of knowledge of chess? Have you ever played the game, or do you know how the pieces move, or the names of the pieces? If yes to at least 2 out of the 3 questions then we can go straight to chess.com but if not, I can create a detailed "Learn to play chess" thread or something.

What do you think?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor:
grin I'm no Sensei sincerely - no tongue twister intended - but I'm always chuffed about chess.

What's the best way to go about this?

And to start with, what's your level of knowledge of chess? Have you ever played the game, or do you know how the pieces move, or the names of the pieces? If yes to at least 2 out of the 3 questions then we can go straight to chess.com but if not, I can create a detailed "Learn to play chess" thread or something.

What do you think?

That's such a sweet offer smiley
I know how the pieces move and their names. Anything beyond that, no lol.

Ok, should I sign up at chess.com?

I see you have noticed I am a giant grammar geek (some alliteration of my own wink ).
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 7:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
Yes, please. Then you can add me as a friend there, or tell me your own username so I can add you. My account username is "Nesqor".

P.s. Yup, grammar geek! And I luveet grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:18am On Jul 18, 2014
jayriginal:

I used to think that I was on chess.com

Apparently Im not. I will find time and open an account soon and maybe download the app on my phone.

As for the first guy, he really isnt a fish. I think he was just playing too quickly.
lol. Really? Okay no problem. Mmm...You are kinda of right. So I take back my words grin he's not a fish but a good player who plays the classical chess like it is blitz.is that better? grin
Jay do you till have that link on lucas chess? I want to redownload it pls, something kinda happened to the one I download before
@InesQor
Asin seriously playing blitz online is not very advisable except you are very sure that you have a very(note on the 'very') good network. I have lost some games due to bad network.I was tempted to delete the account before but I just changed my mind. Okay no problem. Would add you

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:48am On Jul 18, 2014
InesQor:
@Jayriginal please let me know your chess.com username once you have registered so I can add you up.

Certainly. My username will almost certainly be jayriginal.

One question though. Do you have any experience with the chess.com mobile app? Does it lag or something?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:13am On Jul 18, 2014
joywendy: lol. Really? Okay no problem. Mmm...You are kinda of right. So I take back my words grin he's not a fish but a good player who plays the classical chess like it is blitz.is that better? grin

grin

Jay do you till have that link on lucas chess? I want to redownload it pls, something kinda happened to the one I download before

Yes I do. Find it here https://code.google.com/p/lucaschess/

Go to the left side of the screen and click on downloads. You will be directed to another page where you will see InsLucasChess808.exe and LucasChessPortable.exe

You can download either of them. I would have posted the direct link here but I suspect that if I do, the spambot will get me.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 12:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
jayriginal:

Certainly. My username will almost certainly be jayriginal.

One question though. Do you have any experience with the chess.com mobile app? Does it lag or something?

Okay.

The chess.com mobile app is better than the site on the same Internet connection irrespective of lag. It is highly optimised for live games. So if you have a touchscreen device, it's way better than clicking and dragging pieces with a mouse. I personally enjoy playing using my android phone. I tried on my Q5 blackberry - and even though it's touchscreen as well, it was a frustrating experience.

One caveat though is that when using the chess.com mobile app you can't invite a friend to a game, or join in the online tournaments. You can only accept a friend's invitation to play, or play random people of varying strengths within the ratings you specify.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2014
InesQor: Yes, please. Then you can add me as a friend there, or tell me your own username so I can add you. My account username is "Nesqor".

P.s. Yup, grammar geek! And I luveet grin

I changed my username

Now it's PrincessMeiya. I have a theme, can you guess what it is? grin

Clue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2aTU1hQJRE

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 1:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
InesQor:

Okay.

The chess.com mobile app is better than the site on the same Internet connection irrespective of lag. It is highly optimised for live games. So if you have a touchscreen device, it's way better than clicking and dragging pieces with a mouse. I personally enjoy playing using my android phone. I tried on my Q5 blackberry - and even though it's touchscreen as well, it was a frustrating experience.

Sounds good. I use an android as well. Amazing apps!

One caveat though is that when using the chess.com mobile app you can't invite a friend to a game, or join in the online tournaments. You can only accept a friend's invitation to play, or play random people of varying strengths within the ratings you specify.

Now that doesnt sound so good. Ill join the train soon though. Have memory issues that I need to sort out first.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 1:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

I changed my username

Now it's PrincessMeiya. I have a theme, can you guess what it is? grin

Clue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2aTU1hQJRE
Lol i've never used any of the chess.com themes

Easy! Star Wars cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 1:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
jayriginal:
Sounds good. I use an android as well. Amazing apps!

Now that doesnt sound so good. Ill join the train soon though. Have memory issues that I need to sort out first.
Yay! I can already tell you're a good player so I look forward to our games sometime soon.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
InesQor:
Lol i've never used any of the chess.com themes

Easy! Star Wars cheesy

Lol specifically, badass Princess Leia!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by teenxt: 12:45am On Jul 19, 2014
We’ll be holding a friendly chess tournament in port-harcourt. Cash prizes will be awarded.The best chess player in Port-Harcourt would be at the venue. If interested contact 08066058310,08055055691. Thank you
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 19, 2014
teenxt: We’ll be holding a friendly chess tournament in port-harcourt. Cash prizes will be awarded.The best chess player in Port-Harcourt would be at the venue. If interested contact 08066058310,08055055691. Thank you
where is the venue . What have we got to do ?you can further outline here.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 10:01am On Jul 19, 2014
i have been losing my games in an inexplicable way recently but i am sure i will bounce back.....hopefully
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tr3y(m): 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
Interesting. Ff ASAP
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 3:10pm On Jul 20, 2014
@jayriginal thanks so much,i would download it. That your third game:on your 13th move, moving to g1 or e2 wouldn't have worked either you would have lost a piece anyway. I think you meant h4 not f4, h4 was probably the best but you have lost your knight in the process.
My suggestion
When your bishop was on h4 instead of taking the knight you would have just move the bishop to g3 so incase he plays e4 you play your knight to e5 and if he decides to take your knight you take back his knight with your bishop on g3 attacking the knight on f3.

Anyways nice game smiley

@chessguru you will, smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
cry cry cry Haven't played chess in so long, such that my chess games have gone to the dogs.

See as small pikin just dey woz me on top chess.com and my rating is dropping like mad. I don tire.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
teenxt: We’ll be holding a friendly chess tournament in port-harcourt. Cash prizes will be awarded.The best chess player in Port-Harcourt would be at the venue. If interested contact 08066058310,08055055691. Thank you
Who is the best chess player in PH??

@wendy i was able to bounce back without training i beat the doctor 11-5 yesterday and 7-2 today the total scores after one week is now
20-19 in my favour i now lead him with one point (all time classical chess)

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:12am On Jul 21, 2014
joywendy: @jayriginal thanks so much,i would download it.

My pleasure.

That your third game:on your 13th move, moving to g1 or e2 wouldn't have worked either you would have lost a piece anyway. I think you meant h4 not f4, h4 was probably the best but you have lost your knight in the process.

Actually its my fault for the confusion. I put the annotation in the wrong place. It ought to have come after my 14th move, (Nd2). What I meant was that instead of playing 14 Nd2, I ought to have played 14 Ng1 with the intention of maneuvering the knight to the hole on f4.

My suggestion
When your bishop was on h4 instead of taking the knight you would have just move the bishop to g3 so incase he plays e4 you play your knight to e5 and if he decides to take your knight you take back his knight with your bishop on g3 attacking the knight on f3.

My taking the knight was a tactical nuance. I didnt even hesitate. Immediately he played 11 ... e5 I took the knight. Thats because the move 11... e5 loses a pawn. If he recaptures with his knight, I take the pawn on e5 with my knight. If he recaptures with his g pawn, he destroys his kingside pawn structure. Even Rybka agrees with me that the best move after 11... e5 is 12 Bxf6.

Anyways nice game smiley

Thanks kiss

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 10:47am On Jul 21, 2014
jayriginal:

My pleasure.

smiley

Actually Its my fault for the confusion. I put the annotation in the wrong place. It ought to have come after my 14th move, (Nd2). What I meant was that instead of playing 14 Nd2, I ought to have played 14 Ng1 with the intention of maneuvering the knight to the hole on f4.
oh no problem
It makes more sense now

My taking the knight was a tactical nuance. I didnt even hesitate. Immediately he played 11 ... e5 I took the knight. Thats because the move 11... e5 loses a pawn. If he recaptures with his knight, I take the pawn on e5 with my knight. If he recaptures with his g pawn, he destroys his kingside pawn structure. Even Rybka agrees with me that the best move after 11... e5 is 12 Bxf6.
Mmm....both we both know that he didn't play that move , it's was just a probability.He saw it coming and he probably thought that he could distract you by playing his pawn to e4 but he was wrong to underestimate the great jay grin
But my suggestion wasn't that bad na, at least I try small.Even Rybka agrees with me too. wink grin

Thanks kiss

You are welcome smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 11:02am On Jul 21, 2014
@chessguru really?? Wow! Congrats oh!
That's great news smiley
What's the secret?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2014
joywendy:

Mmm....both we both know that he didn't play that move , it's was just a probability.He saw it coming and he probably thought that he could distract you by playing his pawn to e4 but he was wrong to underestimate the great jay grin
But my suggestion wasn't that bad na, at least I try small.Even Rybka agrees with me too. wink grin

Yes, Rybka does agree with you grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 11:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
joywendy: @chessguru really?? Wow! Congrats oh!
That's great news smiley
What's the secret?
no secret jare, i just tried to up my game, and be closer to my true form, it is obvious that i am better than him at chess but i a tim sure of one thing, i need to really improve on my skills if i really want to be NATIONAL CHAMPION SOON.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Daraplato(m): 8:15am On Jul 22, 2014
Lucas Chess is very cool on PC. Tutorials et al.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 11:54pm On Jul 23, 2014
chessguru: no secret jare, i just tried to up my game, and be closer to my true form, it is obvious that i am better than him at chess but i a tim sure of one thing, i need to really improve on my skills if i really want to be NATIONAL CHAMPION SOON.
mmm...impressive. Is it possible to a put one of your games here? So people like me who want to be great too can learn. You will, we got your back. wink
jayriginal:
Yes, Rybka does agree with you grin
grin grin
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by teenxt: 12:28am On Jul 24, 2014
The friendly chess tournament I spoke of, to participate, you have to call the numbers 08066058310,08055055691 first in order for us to know who and who are coming. Start calling if you are in rivers state.. Cash prizes are involved. do so ASAP
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:05am On Jul 24, 2014
Teenxt rivers state alone?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 6:54am On Jul 24, 2014
joywendy: mmm...impressive. Is it possible to a put one of your games here? So people like me who want to be great too can learn. You will, we got your back. wink grin grin
will check if i still got the recordings, i did not record most of the games, the only recording made was even made by a third party who got interested in the duel... by younger brother to Abiola Akinseye (one of the Nigeria's representatives to the next Olympiads in Norway. i believe there will be update on team Nigeria's performance here and on facebook !!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by hardeyincah(m): 11:20pm On Jul 24, 2014
is it true that CPAN president had resigned?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 11:25pm On Jul 26, 2014
chessguru: will check if i still got the recordings, i did not record most of the games, the only recording made was even made by a third party who got interested in the duel... by younger brother to Abiola Akinseye (one of the Nigeria's representatives to the next Olympiads in Norway. i believe there will be update on team Nigeria's performance here and on facebook !!
alright no problem, would wait for the update then. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (40) (Reply)

FIFA 15 Nigeria Fan Thread / Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.