Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,562 members, 7,955,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:34 PM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (119043 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 08, 2015
qubie:
11...Qc7
12.a4
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by qubie(m): 5:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
Manuelson:
12.a4
12...b6
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
qubie:

12...b6
13.Ba2
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by qubie(m): 6:45am On Sep 09, 2015
Manuelson:
13.Ba2
13...Rd8
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 09, 2015
qubie:

13...Rd8

14.Qxb6
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by pdf90(m): 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
pls what is the best chess game playing platform to play on apart from chess master 10edition from ubisoft
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ToyinDipo(m): 10:16pm On Sep 09, 2015
pdf90:
pls what is the best chess game playing platform to play on apart from chess master 10edition from ubisoft

Deep fritz, it is very good for positional setup analysis.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by qubie(m): 12:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
Manuelson:
14.Qxb6
14...Qxb6
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 10, 2015
qubie:

14...Qxb6
15.Bxb6
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by qubie(m): 1:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
Manuelson:
15.Bxb6
15...Rb8
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
qubie:

15...Rb8
16.Bxd8
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 7:02pm On Sep 12, 2015
joywendy:

We are waiting oh sir chessguru smiley
sure sure !! Pro Chess invitational touranment is coming up pretty soon and its going to be very interesting. NBL is likely to be in November.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 7:17pm On Sep 12, 2015
Just passin' by...
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2015
chessguru:

sure sure !! Pro Chess invitational touranment is coming up pretty soon and its going to be very interesting. NBL is likely to be in November.

Cool!

Nov? Why November? I thought it was usually in October?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 9:49am On Sep 20, 2015
TOURNAMENT COMING UP IN ASABA , DELTA STATE !! Need for speed 2015 !! The First Victoria Ossai memorial SPEED Chess tournament is coming up in honor of Madame Victoria Ossai , It is a Rapid time control event of 15min+10sec and it is going to be a FIDE rated event open to everyone, meaning you can get your FIDE profile and first FIDE rating from this event taking place in Asaba township stadium delta state.On Oct 1st 2015. Time is 9 AM prompt. It promises to be very exciting. It is open to all ** Play responsibly **
PRIZES
Opens -
1ST PRIZE - 50,000
2ND PRIZE - 40,000
3RD PRIZE - 30,000
4TH PRIZE - 20,000
5TH PRIZE - 10,000
6TH - 10TH PRIZE - 5000
Female -
BEST FEMALE 20,000
2ND BEST FEMALE - 10,000
3RD BEST FEMALE - 5000
Veterans -
1ST PRIZE - 30,000
2ND PRIZE - 20,000
3RD PRIZE - 10,000
REGISTRATION IS N2000 FOR ALL

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by gabinogem(m): 4:49pm On Sep 23, 2015
Check out this awesome Chess game http://zynga.tm/baUI

Username: gabinogemino
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by beautifuldaemon: 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
gabinogem:
Check out this awesome Chess game http://zynga.tm/baUI

Username: gabinogemino

Share the PGN here instead
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 1:49am On Nov 02, 2015
Whaddup with this thread nah, guys?!

Anyways, I wanna post some tips and lessons, all about the weirdest piece in chess: the KNIGHT.

In these lessons, specifically, I'm gonna concentrate on knight forks, how to spot'em, visualise'em. And you know what, you're gonna learn how NEVER to miss a knight fork, in the game of chess, for the rest of your life!

Stay tuned...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by olyrayy(m): 10:25pm On Nov 03, 2015
O boy. Sounds interesting.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 4:54am On Nov 05, 2015
Okay, let's begin!

You may refer to a chessboard if you need to, but I'll provide diagrams.

Now, everyone knows the knight moves in an L-shape in any direction, bla bla bla. And that's about all we're told as beginners. And then, we began to know more about the knight as we played more games and became more experienced.

For example, we also started to find out that when you put a knight in the middle of the board, like say from f3 to d4, it attacks 8 squares (clockwisely e6, f5, f3, e2, c2, b3, b5 and c6) in its 'wheel'. Kinda looks like a spider/octopus (diagram). You can compare it to a clock where you remove the 12, 3, 6 and 9 'cross', kinda cute lil' way of seeing it.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 5:29am On Nov 05, 2015
But you need to realize a few more things about the knight, in terms of general/tactical properties (I'm not gonna talk about knight strategy here). Some of these things you already know, but I'll highlight them for recall.

1. All squares attacked by the knight are of the same colour. Like the d4 knight attacking all light squares in the previous diagram. So therefore, all forkable pieces must be within the knight's wheel, all of the same colour.

2. The knight changes colours as it jumps from one square to the next. Picture in your mind's eye the g1 knight in the opening along the path g1-f3-g5(or e5)-takes f7, forking Qd8 and Rh8, where g1 is dark, f3 light, g5 (or e5) dark, f7 light, and the targets Q and R are on dark squares d8 and h8. So, in one move, a knight will capture pieces on the opposite colour to where it stands.

3. Which means, in two moves, a knight will capture pieces of the same colour to where it stands! Very important point to note if you wanna quickly scan for immediately forkable pieces a move away.

Like the f3 knight in the previous diagram standing on a light square, will move to d4 and attack those eight light squares in the wheel (including the f3 square it just left behind.)

In fact, place a knight on the dark d4 square (diagram). Look at this, guys; you'll see that it will capture, in two moves, 27 out of the 32 dark squares on the board!! Powerful knight.

So, b2, f2, b6, f6 and h8 are the five exceptions here, out of the knight's reach. That's because it takes four, rather that two, moves to reach those squares. And, believe it or not, it takes just two moves to reach all other 27 same-coloured squares, you can check it out for yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 6:21am On Nov 05, 2015
And now, introduction to knight forks in specific.

Okay, we know forks happen on squares of the same colour. So, a knight cannot attack different coloured squares like b7 (light) and e5 (dark). But does it mean that any two same-coloured squares are forkable?

You'll see for example that f6 and h8 are NOT. Or d4 and b6, b2, f2, f6. In fact, let's look at the relationship between these squares in the previous diagram. Though they seem kinda near (3 squares apart diagonally), they are four knight moves far apart! If you remember your king and pawn endings, you'll see that they are squares where the kings are in diagonal opposition to each other.

You can then confidently say that, generally, all same-coloured squares can be attacked by a knight except those that are diagonally 3 squares apart, in diagonal opposition. Also, in the knight's wheel, absolutely no two squares are ever in diagonal opposition! That's kinda the rule of thumb: diagonal opposition, no fork. QED, right?

But, to help you in an even more specific way, all you need to know and learn, is that there are just SIX(!) knight fork shapes or anatomies, if you will, on the chessboard! It makes it easier to spot two forkable pieces instantly, and they'll just start 'popping' up in your eyes everywhere on the board.

Stay tuned for the next lessons...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by qubie(m): 10:52am On Nov 06, 2015
Manuelson:
16.Bxd8
sorry for d breaking transmission. I took some tym-out to train for ya. 1.e4
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Prince3d(m): 11:11pm On Nov 20, 2015
White to move and mate in two moves

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 9:43pm On Nov 21, 2015
Prince3d:
White to move and mate in two moves

Qxf7+ Kxf7 Bh5#
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 11:41am On Nov 26, 2015
Whats your chess personality?

Answer 20 quiz questions and find out here http://www.chesspersonality.com/

I did the quiz and I'm a technician in the mold of Vladmir Kramnik. http://www.chesspersonality.com/type/technician
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 6:21am On Nov 28, 2015
jayriginal:
Whats your chess personality?
Answer 20 quiz questions and find out here http://www.chesspersonality.com/
I did the quiz and I'm a technician in the mold of Vladmir Kramnik. http://www.chesspersonality.com/type/technician

Hmm, surgeon here (Emmanuel Lasker)
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 12:18pm On Nov 28, 2015
Loluores:

Hmm, surgeon here (Emmanuel Lasker)
NICE
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 12:47am On Dec 25, 2015
Hello everyone.

Guess is who is back? cheesy

Wishing everyone on this thread Merry xmas and a prosperous new year smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ToyinDipo(m): 1:00am On Dec 25, 2015
joywendy:
Hello everyone.

Guess is who is back? cheesy

Wishing everyone on this thread Merry xmas and a prosperous new year smiley

It's been a while, compliments of the season.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:27am On Dec 25, 2015
ToyinDipo:

It's been a while, compliments of the season.

Yeah it has, thanks smiley

How's things and your chess life btw?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ToyinDipo(m): 8:25am On Dec 25, 2015
joywendy:

Yeah it has, thanks smiley

How's things and your chess life btw?

You are welcome.
Fine, and my chess has improved a bit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (40) (Reply)

FIFA 15 Nigeria Fan Thread / Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.