Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116614 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ositadima1(m): 4:52pm On Dec 24, 2016
joywendy:

It's saying username not available add me Wendzy
There is a chat box in that app, you don't seem to read it.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 10:53pm On Dec 24, 2016
ositadima1:

There is a chat box in that app, you don't seem to read it.

Sorry, on chess time right? I didn't know about the chat box till your post here. I have replied.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:15am On Dec 27, 2016
Lia Lia this thread will not die!

FIDE World rapid Championship and FIDE world women rapids is going on now and we are dead silent on this thread?

So The world rapids Just finished Round 5 out of 15 rounds

Female rapids finished four rounds out of 12 games
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:24am On Dec 27, 2016
Here is the final standing after the 5 Rounds for Fide world rapids

With our WOrld champion lacking behind at 20 shocked shocked

Yet he played on board one through out? hows that fair? undecided

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:29am On Dec 27, 2016
Female rapids....Omo mehn these Ukrainians are not smiling both in the world rapids and female rapids. They are leading....

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by alex81(m): 1:31am On Dec 27, 2016
joywendy:
Here is the final standing after the 5 Rounds for Fide world rapids

With our WOrld champion lacking behind at 20 shocked shocked

Yet he played on board one through out? hows that fair? undecided

lol cheesy tongue I just tire for chess luvers on NL....

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 1:34am On Dec 27, 2016
alex81:

lol cheesy tongue I just tire for chess luvers on NL....

Lol! I swear I don't understand this folks again oo...abi na Xmas celebration them dey do
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by LagLeatherbacks: 6:22pm On Dec 27, 2016
joywendy:
Hello Guys

I have an issue I think we should discuss....

The concept of female prizes in Nigerian chess

I get the idea that it helps to promote ladies in chess but I feel that the title tends to celebrate mediocrity indirectly.

Especially for some of the ladies who may just focus on getting the female prize and forget that the main prize that is also available for them as well. It just creates an unending cycle.....You see some ladies only coming to participate because they hear that there is a female prize available.

That shouldn't be at all, what's wrong with giving everyone a fair chance of winning? The same playing field? If you keep on with the concept of giving female prizes will most of the females ever see the reason of wanting to compete on a higher scale like everyone else? Wanting to push the boundary?

Is there another way we can encourage ladies without using the concept of female prizes?

Having a separate category (and/or specific prizes) for females is a short term solution to a long term problem. We support similar short term solutions for now.

As you may have hinted, these female prizes are, "to promote ladies in chess". While this may be true, it is does not adequately tackle a much more fundamental issue. Which is, the proportion of female players to total number of players is really really low. Our preliminary statistics based on December 2016 FIDE data indicate about 10% of active FIDE rated players are female! We opine that it is society's historical "negative" views on females playing chess that led to this disparity.

We believe a long term solution is to grow grass root chess for both male and female youngsters.

How will this solution work?

If we introduce a generation of 5 - 12 year old students to the game (equally and without gender prejudice), we will inevitably get a lot of talented and highly competitive youngsters. Imagine if only 0.001 of all Nigerian primary school students have the chess talent gene and are discovered, we would be looking at tens of thousands of future titled players, CM, FM, IM and the elusive GM titles. This new talent pool will have well over 10% female participation, we hope eventually 50%, but even 40 or 30% will be a great start. Since chess does not require the best leg or arm muscles but the best brain, girls and boys are on an equal "nature-set" playing field. Now all we need to do is to equal the "society-set" playing field.

After years of mixed gender competitions, the best of them will definitely include males and females. By the time these youngsters are in their teens, the best females among them will be competing regularly and successfully with their male counterparts and will even feel insulted if anyone invited them to play separately. We would have fundamentally changed the need for separate female prizes in the life time of just one generation.

- LagLeatherbacks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ybalogs(m): 4:42pm On Dec 28, 2016
Good job @Wendy
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Ejiod(m): 11:01am On Dec 30, 2016
Pls where can I get a chess club @ Lagos environ...Here @ my hood,hardly can you see a good chess player beyond intermediate level..pls help a bro..
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by fearlesschicken: 12:43pm On Dec 30, 2016
Join the fastest movement now....With 1k no need for you to get referrals. We will help you to get referrals, if you don't get at least 1 referral after 7 days. We promise you a refund!!! Join now!
It's a four by four matrix. All you need to do is register and we do the rest for you. Get your referrals after some days....
Join our lil group first! Let's see how we can do this!
You would be told what to do *winks*

https://twitter.com/fearlessjoyous/status/814802515267112960

PM your number to me. Limited space available!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by alex81(m): 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2016
Sergey wins Carlsen again in ongoing blitz tournament in Doha. hmmm

`` i didnt deserve anything from dat game`` ... carlsen.

Carlsens mistakes/inaccuracies is ....... hmmm ... i comment my reserve.... well fingers crossed d tournament not yet over.

*** modified***

the spirit here in NL eh... so dull

Nevertheless am gonna post ds hrt touching qoute from Sergey Karjakin, nd zoom off to disturb another group...

"This title means a lot. After my match I lost against Magnus—it was a good match but I still thought I need to do something to be satisfied. Now I'm satisfied!"

My prayer is dat despite all dat has has happened ds yr, May we all be satisfied come 2017. Happy new yr in advance from alex!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 11:10am On Jan 01, 2017
ybalogs:
Good job @Wendy
Thanks Jare. Not active on here would have kept on with the updates.

Happy new year chess family smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Andy1985ng(m): 1:24pm On Jan 02, 2017
Hi guys,

Please, can anyone assist me on where I can purchase an electronic chess board in Lagos so that I can play against a computer and brush up my chess skills?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by alex81(m): 3:28am On Jan 10, 2017
Andy1985ng:
Hi guys,

Please, can anyone assist me on where I can purchase an electronic chess board in Lagos so that I can play against a computer and brush up my chess skills?

Thanks in advance.

no idea bro,

u can install one of d chess online app though...
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 1:57am On Jan 17, 2017
Longest time, kiddos. How's tha new year been treating y'all?

Looking to resume dishing out chess tips again soon... I believe I was talking about the knight sometime ago, I'll maybe take off from there.

Later.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ToyinDipo(m): 8:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
joywendy:
Why is this thread so silent?

where is chess guru? jay riginal? Toyin dipo? Hay why48? Sain tneo? Behind bobo? Loluo res? Ines qor?

Hi Joy smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by GenerousLord: 7:02am On Jan 29, 2017
I think 'Lichess' still remains the best online chess app on android; it is time based hence, one can hardly cheat using a board analyzer.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:20am On Jan 29, 2017
GenerousLord:
I think 'Lichess' still remains the best online chess app on android; it is time based hence, one can hardly cheat using a board analyzer.

What would you say it's advantages are over an app like chess.com

Also when you say lichess is time based, isn't chess.com also time based?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by GenerousLord: 12:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
jayriginal:

What would you say it's advantages are over an app like chess.com

Also when you say lichess is time based, isn't chess.com also time based?
chess.com is restricted in some way; no full access to enjoy all the features of a great chess game, but with lichess it's fun all the way. You can install it and see for yourself.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 4:02pm On Jan 29, 2017
GenerousLord:

chess.com is restricted in some way; no full access to enjoy all the features of a great chess game, but with lichess it's fun all the way. You can install it and see for yourself.

I've actually been using both and I prefer chess.com. I think you are referring to other features than game play. I agree that chess.com has paid options but when you spoke I thought you meant game play.

Thanks for your contribution man.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by GenerousLord: 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2017
jayriginal:

I've actually been using both and I prefer chess.com. I think you are referring to other features than game play. I agree that chess.com has paid options but when you spoke I thought you meant game play.

Thanks for your contribution man.
Alright, you're welcome.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by shegunn: 9:14am On Feb 03, 2017
Lichess is great, however I think it sometimes pair u against a computer while u think u Re playing an human...chess.com is the best app for me however
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cifo1145(m): 12:42pm On Feb 05, 2017
Hello Chess guru...I see its been a while this thread had a recent post from chess lovers so I'll like to know what are the plans for 2017 as regards chess...also I play chess but not competitive ...how can I start to compete regularly with other chess players here in Lagos.
More so is there a group whatapp for NL chess lovers/players.

Chess is a game of strategy mixed with patients and concentration......

Pls for any contact as regards the game reach me on 09033964822....
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tens4real(m): 1:59pm On Feb 05, 2017
cifo1145:
Hello Chess guru...I see its been a while this thread had a recent post from chess lovers so I'll like to know what are the plans for 2017 as regards chess...also I play chess but not competitive ...how can I start to compete regularly with other chess players here in Lagos.
More so is there a group whatapp for NL chess lovers/players.

Chess is a game of strategy mixed with patients and concentration......

Pls for any contact as regards the game reach me on 09033964822....
Where in Lagos are you at?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Loluores: 6:57am On Feb 06, 2017
LagLeatherbacks:

Having a separate category (and/or specific prizes) for females is a short term solution to a long term problem. We support similar short term solutions for now.

As you may have hinted, these female prizes are, "to promote ladies in chess". While this may be true, it is does not adequately tackle a much more fundamental issue. Which is, the proportion of female players to total number of players is really really low. Our preliminary statistics based on December 2016 FIDE data indicate about 10% of active FIDE rated players are female! We opine that it is society's historical "negative" views on females playing chess that led to this disparity.

We believe a long term solution is to grow grass root chess for both male and female youngsters.

How will this solution work?

If we introduce a generation of 5 - 12 year old students to the game (equally and without gender prejudice), we will inevitably get a lot of talented and highly competitive youngsters. Imagine if only 0.001 of all Nigerian primary school students have the chess talent gene and are discovered, we would be looking at tens of thousands of future titled players, CM, FM, IM and the elusive GM titles. This new talent pool will have well over 10% female participation, we hope eventually 50%, but even 40 or 30% will be a great start. Since chess does not require the best leg or arm muscles but the best brain, girls and boys are on an equal "nature-set" playing field. Now all we need to do is to equal the "society-set" playing field.

After years of mixed gender competitions, the best of them will definitely include males and females. By the time these youngsters are in their teens, the best females among them will be competing regularly and successfully with their male counterparts and will even feel insulted if anyone invited them to play separately. We would have fundamentally changed the need for separate female prizes in the life time of just one generation.

- LagLeatherbacks

In light of the recent events concerning WGM Hou Yifan's protests about the pairings in the Gibraltar open, what do you guys think?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cifo1145(m): 8:08am On Feb 10, 2017
tens4real:
Where in Lagos are you at?
Mainland...but can we have a better chat on WhatsApp pls contact me via 09033964822 Regards.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
Bumbae1 check my personal text and let me know when you're done.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 12, 2017
Done
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 2:06pm On Feb 27, 2017
There's a Chessbot on telegram. Pretty amusing. You can actually play chess with it.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by geebril(m): 8:01pm On Mar 13, 2017
Finally found the thread...
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by LxgIncrediboy(m): 8:12am On Mar 16, 2017
I NEED to learn how to play chess anyone willing to tutor me living in abuja?

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.