Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,043 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. (77179 Views)

Cost Of Decking A Storey Building 2 Flats 3 Bedroom / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Cost Of Decking A Storey Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by FastShipping: 10:29pm On Jan 19, 2015
CityNG:

I think Hajji, from readings on here, has sojourned in the US like me for a while, I really want to understand the decision process as I'm very curious.

We also have to define the purpose/requirement of the Gateman. Is he a security guard, a receptionist or just a manual gate opening device?

The gatemen are mainly employed to open and close gates in Nigeria. grin grin grin grin

Maybe Alhaji needs a gateman as he is an elderly man. He is an old school and from what I have read from him here, he has been in the U.S for many years when compared to someone like me who has been here for 14 years.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 19, 2015
FastShipping:

The gatemen are mainly employed to open and close gates in Nigeria. grin grin grin grin

Maybe Alhaji needs a gateman as he is an elderly man. He is an old school and from what I have read from him here, he has been in the U.S for many years when compared to someone like me who has been here for 14 years.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've been here going on for 30 years sad

But I'm making amends now grin

Oga Spyder880 please share with us how many of your clients opt for a gateman house.

I'm very opposed to doing stuff just because "that's the way we dey do am for Naija". I am going to have an electric gate opener and a solar array. That way no gateman house and no generator house.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by FastShipping: 11:26pm On Jan 19, 2015
CityNG:

But I'm making amends now grin

Oga Spyder880 please share with us how many of your clients opt for a gateman house.

I'm very opposed to doing stuff just because "that's the way we dey do am for Naija". I am going to have an electric gate opener and a solar array. That way no gateman house and no generator house.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

30 years in the U.S? Wow!

It is my intention to have electric and remote controlled gate too. I prefer that to one guy sleeping and always waiting for me to open my gate. I do intend to have a space for two portable 10KVA generator set. I don't need all those earth shaking pass my neighbor generators.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
FastShipping:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

30 years in the U.S? Wow!

It is my intention to have electric and remote controlled gate too. I prefer that to one guy sleeping and always waiting for me to open my gate. I do intend to have a space for two portable 10KVA generator set. I don't need all those earth shaking pass my neighbor generators.

I will have a "I better pas my neighbor gen" which will be heavily muffled and permanently installed on rubber footing. It's only job would be to recharge batteries during cloudy or rainy periods. If I resort to installing a diesel generator in 2015 then I would have failed.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by FastShipping: 12:01am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

I will have a "I better pas my neighbor gen" which will be heavily muffled and permanently installed on rubber footing. It's only job would be to recharge batteries during cloudy or rainy periods. If I resort to installing a diesel generator in 2015 then I would have failed.

I am guessing you have plan to live there permanently.

Well, solar energy is a good idea too but in my own case I don't think I can afford to do such thing. I don't intend to be living at the house I'm building because U.S is now where I intend to live with my family for the rest of my life. I don't think solar energy makes sense in a house I only intend to spend a month in a year with my family during Christmas.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 12:06am On Jan 20, 2015
I thought you wouldn't need generators anymore since APC is ready to set things straight grin . Hehehe fellas dont thrust nija politicians.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 12:10am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

You're going to do a gateman house? shocked

Well guys here it is, the details... I am an old man true (but still "King of Boys"wink, and will be even more older when I move to Nigeria...
Being in USA for 40 years, coming here in my upper 20s, I should not even be thinking of such... and my house plan does not even have that.
But we don't have Gateman in USA because of the labor cost and other workers amenities that will be provided, that is not the case in Nigeria.

My people (brother) keep nagging me about it.. that when you come house, even climbing the stairs will be an obstacle if you live long enough.
So you see, as you keep hearing things everyday, it will keep registering in your brain... But I still don't know what I will so..
I have got a BQ where someone who will help me maintain the house will stay.. so that is not the problem.. and that person can double as the
person to operate the door.. Another option is the electronics gate, but with the power situation in Nigeria, where do we stand.

Regardless of age and the situation in Nigeria, I am still and always be a Nigerian.. smiley
I am still open to suggestion as it has not been done yet... I like the pro and con to this discussions.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 12:43am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

Ashamed... NEVER be! We are all looking for way to better ourselves, feed ourselves and our family wherever possible.

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 12:46am On Jan 20, 2015
FastShipping:

Good ideas.. but let's all be looking towards Solar energy also. I hate the noise from those generators.
I don't intend to be receiving night visitors, so I will make sure he will also be sleeping when or if I do employ a Gateman.

Hajji M.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 12:48am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

That will be the best way to go, if you want a 24hrs electricity.. you may even need two to alternate.. adequate sound proof will be good.
We should also be seriously looking at Solar energy, if we want to be modern.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 12:58am On Jan 20, 2015
Empiree:
I thought you wouldn't need generators anymore since APC is ready to set things straight grin . Hehehe fellas dont thrust nija politicians.

First, they need to get there. And any party that can do that will get my dedication forever..
Remember if we have adequate and constant electricity, we will have more industries and that will provide more jobs for people.
And just to be on topic, most people will afford to build houses, even if it is low-cost types.

Hajji M.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 1:21am On Jan 20, 2015
mufutau55:

That will be the best way to go, if you want a 24hrs electricity.. you may even need two to alternate.. adequate sound proof will be good.
We should also be seriously looking at Solar energy, if we want to be modern.

Hajji M.

My design will be totally solar powered. PHCN will just be an insignificant secondary source to charge the batteries back up.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 1:25am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

My design will be totally solar powered. PHCN will just be an insignificant secondary source to charge the batteries back up.
But this is just for exterior, isnt?
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 1:25am On Jan 20, 2015
FastShipping:

Well, solar energy is a good idea too but in my own case I don't think I can afford to do such thing. I don't intend to be living at the house I'm building because U.S is now where I intend to live with my family for the rest of my life. I don't think solar energy makes sense in a house I only intend to spend a month in a year with my family during Christmas.

I understand the sentiments.

But let's have this conversation in another 10 years grin
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Nobody: 1:32am On Jan 20, 2015
Empiree:
But this is just for exterior, isnt?

No, the whole house.

It's a total eco house and will require electricity to power a lot of security, hvac features. Total automation.

There's one thing we have in abundance in Nigeria, sun and wind.

I think I've bastardized Oga Spyders thread too much now. I'll open a thread where we can discuss home automation and power.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by FastShipping: 1:36am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

I understand the sentiments.

But let's have this conversation in another 10 years grin

grin grin grin grin

I am open to changing my mind. Let's hope Nigeria turns out a lot better than what it is today. I am hoping APC brings the much needed change.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 1:39am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

No, the whole house.

It's a total eco house and will require electricity to power a lot of security, hvac features. Total automation.

There's one thing we have in abundance in Nigeria, sun and wind.

I think I've bastardized Oga Spyders thread too much now. I'll open a thread where we can discuss home automation and power.
Pls, really want to know more of this. I do have friends who have been worrying me to connect them to Nigerian investors on solar energy but i felt reluctant because i'm thinking how many Nigerians could afford that.

I thought all i have to buy is solar compatible lights features for exterior and that's.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 1:49am On Jan 20, 2015
FastShipping:

I don't intend to be living at the house I'm building because U.S is now where I intend to live with my family for the rest of my life. I don't think solar energy makes sense in a house I only intend to spend a month in a year with my family during Christmas.

I used to think like this many years ago... but time changes everything... But I surely and greatly respect your decision.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 1:54am On Jan 20, 2015
Empiree:
Pls, really want to know more of this. I do have friends who have been worrying me to connect them to Nigerian investors on solar energy but i felt reluctant because i'm thinking how many Nigerians could afford that.
I thought all i have to buy is solar compatible lights features for exterior and that's.

If it is a house you are permanently living then it's worth it and affordable... Check your Inbox for some brochure I have.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 2:05am On Jan 20, 2015
CityNG:

That's the best way to go.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by spyder880(m): 7:24am On Jan 20, 2015
Haba grin You guys dont seem to understand why we have gatemen here but una get janitors in residential properties over there? Its almost the same functions except that here in Nigeria the guys open and close gates in addition. cheesy

Well I understand your points and true, there are very good ideas you have on the alternatives but in Nigeria here, the security situation is bad. Lots of petty stealing especially when you are away from home. People like to employ a gate man to look after the compound when people are at work.

My client that owns this house had to frown over the size of the first gate house I built here, he ordered that I reduce the size to what we have now.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by spyder880(m): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2015
FastShipping:

grin grin grin grin

I am open to changing my mind. Let's hope Nigeria turns out a lot better than what it is today. I am hoping APC brings the much needed change.

I hope so too, maybe APC will give us a better government l need to export my generator to Russia cheesy
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 7:28am On Jan 20, 2015
Thanks hajj mufutau55. Question is, does solar works with those light features i uploaded on other thread...remember them?. I meant regular light features....any idea?
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 7:31am On Jan 20, 2015
spyder880:
Haba grin You guys dont seem to understand why we have gatemen here but una get janitors in residential properties over there? Its almost the same functions except that here in Nigeria the guys open and close gates in addition. cheesy

They are equivalent to doormen in US
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by kopell: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2015
Gentle men many of us that are building home in naija knew we are all building vacation homes.
My brothers is good to have one sha, those that don't have will not even visit.

2 Likes

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by NL1960: 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2015
FastShipping:

Don't you think it is a waste of money to build a house in Nigeria that you only spend a month in a year especially if it is being built in the city and you are not considering retiring to it in the future even though i know that you can sell it later?. You can easily rent a serviced apartment for that period that you are around.

1 Like

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 4:12pm On Jan 20, 2015
Empiree:
Thanks hajj mufutau55. Question is, does solar works with those light features i uploaded on other thread...remember them?. I meant regular light features....any idea?

The solar energy works on any light features as long as you have enough required wattage power.
Did you get the brochure I sent you.

Hajji M.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
mufutau55:

The solar energy works on any light features as long as you have enough required wattage power.
Did you get the brochure I sent you.

Hajji M.
Yes, sure I got it. thanks.
I just wanted to be sure it works with regular features cuz I bought bunch of light features already.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 4:27pm On Jan 20, 2015
NL1960:

Don't you think it is a waste of money to build a house in Nigeria that you only spend a month in a year especially if it is being built in the city and you are not considering retiring to it in the future even though i know that you can sell it later?. You can easily rent a serviced apartment for that period that you are around.
bro, you may be right but time changes. Things are unpredictable. You don't want to turn 70 and realise Nigeria is your home to retire. And that time, you may not have $$ to build. That's just too bad.

3 Likes

Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by mufutau55(m): 4:32pm On Jan 20, 2015
Empiree:
Yes, sure I got it. thanks.
I just wanted to be sure it works with regular features cuz I bought bunch of light features already.

Read this thread and ask the guy questions.. if you need his Whatsapp number for chat let me know.

https://www.nairaland.com/1953773/solar-power-boreholes-jobs-full

Hajji M.
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 4:56pm On Jan 20, 2015
I met a Nigerian man in Atlanta, GA in Jan, 2013. He's real estate investor. He's from Oyo state. He said he hasn't stepped into Nigeria since 1995 after his parents funeral. I don't know what happened exactly that makes him hate Nigeria so much. His name is David. He owns houses in different counties in Atlanta. He took me to some near airport and other places. On that block ( both sides), He owns houses in the whole block. He rents most of the house. some are vacant. Some I entered them. He said if not bcuz I came from other state he won't be going around with me.
Clients see the house on his website, contact him and he gives them code for the entrance. He's quiet rich. Then he told me he lost $700k on a deal that pained him so much. I said how about you build a nice house in Nigeria instead of wasting money here?. He said hell no. "This is my home. I don't know anyone in Nigeria except a cousin. I will retire and die here and bury here"

I said but you never know things may change. He said no. That he made up his mind. He said his cousin built a house in Nigeria but vacant. What's the point?. He asked. He advised her to sell it and move to US.

My point is I can't believe some people live like this. With so much hate for home country. I always feel sad hearing that. He does not work for anymore nor does he has office. He just created website with pictures of his houses. Deals are made at his home or bank. I was like " sir, I respect your decision but I disagree with you on being here forever".
The way he sounded though makes me wonder if his parents were murdered. He should be in his 50s. His website is investor delight dot com
Re: Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. by Empiree: 4:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
mufutau55:

Read this thread and ask the guy questions.. if you need his Whatsapp number for chat let me know.

https://www.nairaland.com/1953773/solar-power-boreholes-jobs-full

Hajji M.
ok cool. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat With N2million? / Fabrication of Quality Aluminium windows,Railings,Doors Made Easy•Casement••✓ / Tutorial: How Many Packet Of Floor Tiles Do You Need To Tile A Room?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.