Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677225 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:20pm On Mar 24, 2015
Zariah:

I have read on websites such as Visa journey that certain US embassies (Lagos included) don't accept Co-sponsorship for K visas. That's why I want to know what your policies are on that.

That's incorrect. In fact, if the petitioner's AOS doesn't pass the poverty threshold, we are not allowed to issue without an affidavit from a joint sponsor.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Zariah: 1:23pm On Mar 24, 2015
Thank you for the reassurance VisaOfficer, you are wonderful.

VisaOfficer:

That's incorrect. In fact, if the petitioner's AOS doesn't pass the poverty threshold, we are not allowed to issue without an affidavit from a joint sponsor.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 1:54pm On Mar 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I was just notified of the waiver denial myself. Yes, you should file for him if you want him to join you, but he will still need a waiver.
Thanks.when is he supposed to file the waiver?is it after petition or after he is invited for interview? Please cam you enlighten me on how to go about it I mean the waiver.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 1:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
[quote author=AREOLA post=31952177]
Thanks.when is he supposed to file the waiver?is it after petition or after he is invited for interview? Please cam you enlighten me on how to go about it I mean the waiver.cos right now I'm just so confused that's why I'm asking you to please put me through.
Thanks so much.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
AREOLA:

Thanks.when is he supposed to file the waiver?is it after petition or after he is invited for interview? Please cam you enlighten me on how to go about it I mean the waiver.

It will be after he comes to his interview. If the officer believes he is otherwise qualified, he'll be told he will need a waiver at that point.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 2:26pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hello VO,

I need you to provide clarity on the questions below:

1. My wife is presently in Nigeria. She had our baby in the US and she brought him to see me. I saw your response to an earlier question that the petitioner must be in the US before you can issue a Visa to the beneficiary. I don’t get. My wife petitioned for me and my interview is later this week. Does this affect me? My wife and my kid are going back to the US next weekend.

2. Apart from my mobile phone, what other common carry-ons are prevented from being taken into the US Embassy building? ATM card, car keys etc?

3. I have not been informed that I’ll make any payment on the date of the interview. Could it be that has been done before the NVC sent me the invitation letter? Is there a way you can check if I’m required? I can provide my case number.

Thanks as always.

Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'd say, as long as she can explain, it's fine. It would be a much bigger problem if she had listed someone else as her spouse!!! grin

Thanks for your response..
I guess u meant ....as long as I can explain...because am the applicant....
I read of cases where couples are placed on AP for reasons best known to you....we just want to be sure that we dont make any silly mistakes this time around.
The waiting is really hard on us...
Thanks for being there..

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HesInMe: 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
You've stated earlier that you (at the consulate) accept attestations of birth from the National Population Commission in lieu of the long-form birth certificate but would you know if the National Visa Center does as well? Here's what the NVC says for applicants born in Lagos who don't have a birth certificate:

"Birth and Death Certificates
Generally available, particularly for events occurring after 1970. Registration of births and deaths is compulsory in Lagos. The National Population Commission issues birth certificates for births after 1992. For Lagos records, certified copies of records for dates ending with 1979 can be obtained at the Lagos State Ministry of Health, Old Secretariat, Ikeja, Lagos."

It's the italicized bit that has me worried -- it's near impossible to get certificates from the state ministry of health -- and has delayed my submission of supporting documentation to the NVC.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 4:10pm On Mar 24, 2015
tonyphil:

Thanks for your response..
I guess u meant ....as long as I can explain...because am the applicant....
I read of cases where couples are placed on AP for reasons best known to you....we just want to be sure that we dont make any silly mistakes this time around.
The waiting is really hard on us...
Thanks for being there..

I think it will b nice to refile...chances are she would get a larger refund...smiley and our mind would b at peace that we haven't raised any red flags...

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Angelica123: 4:12pm On Mar 24, 2015
Good day ma,
My husband send a mail to request for an interview since last week but we did not get any response. It is for a 221g follow up interview.
Is it possible for us to get a response before Friday?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chrisjulie(m): 4:15pm On Mar 24, 2015
VO, Thank you very much. I believe God will see us through and please help us monitor our case as we look forward to my wife second interview. God bless you and God bless America! LGS2014612025 Thank you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 4:55pm On Mar 24, 2015
Thank you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by shagisha: 6:55pm On Mar 24, 2015
shagisha:

Good day Visa Officer,
I have come again o.Please ,I have some questions pertaining to the answer you gave me before.
1.If I decide to wait till Im a citizen before the adoption does the 2years physical legal custody still apply?
2.Also, the child in question is my nephew.my younger sister have 3kids for a man who left her to wed another woman when she was pregnant with her third child.we have not set eyes on him since then and he has never bothered to come and check on them for four years now.We heard he is nolonger with the other woman.His mum and his step dad
whom we know have since passed on.They have been living with my mum since the guy left and she cant afford to take
care of them because she does not have a job.He seems to
have disappeared into thin air and no one knows his where
about.
I on the other hand have none and would prefer to adopt one of my own.so my question is,'does the child qualify for
adoption?'
please madam,you omitted my question.please i dont mean
to disturb you, i just felt like putting the whole issue before
you so that i can go ahead or not.I understand that the child
must qualify as an orphan in some certain ways but i dont
know if this is one of them.I would not want to spend time
and effort only to go for interview and he is not qualified.
please ma,if u can, i would really appreciate your reply on this.
thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olatexas(f): 7:17pm On Mar 24, 2015
Thank you ma for prompt reply. So I can file the i-129F again after i-130 approval?? Wow Thanx a bunch
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:02am On Mar 25, 2015
Hi Ma'am, I arrived Tyler, Texas yesterday afternoon. I am pretty jet lagged right now and yet to fully adjust to the 6 hours time difference. The best thing is that my fiance and I are now together, the miles are no more. It is pretty here, the rose sprouts are coming up. It is not easy leaving your life in one country to begin a new one in another country. However, I believe we will be alright. I most especially will be fine.
Hope you are doing great and work is going smoothly? Keep up the good work madam. May God in His infinite mercies continue to bless you abundantly. Thanks a lot!

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mcaylife(m): 7:04am On Mar 25, 2015
congrats i cant wait to join my wife too in louisiana. God will do ours too.. amen.
Euma:
Hi Ma'am, I arrived Tyler, Texas yesterday afternoon. I am pretty jet lagged right now and yet to fully adjust to the 6 hours time difference. The best thing is that my fiance and I are now together, the miles are no more. It is pretty here, the rose sprouts are coming up. It is not easy leaving your life in one country to begin a new one in another country. However, I believe we will be alright. I most especially will be fine.
Hope you are doing great and work is going smoothly? Keep up the good work madam. May God in His infinite mercies continue to bless you abundantly. Thanks a lot!
Euma:
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:24am On Mar 25, 2015
halaphilip:
Hello VO,

I need you to provide clarity on the questions below:

1. My wife is presently in Nigeria. She had our baby in the US and she brought him to see me. I saw your response to an earlier question that the petitioner must be in the US before you can issue a Visa to the beneficiary. I don’t get. My wife petitioned for me and my interview is later this week. Does this affect me? My wife and my kid are going back to the US next weekend.

No, you're fine. As long as she's domiciled in the U.S., and it sounds like she is, you're good to go.

2. Apart from my mobile phone, what other common carry-ons are prevented from being taken into the US Embassy building? ATM card, car keys etc?

Per our website, The following items are not permitted on the premises of the United States Embassy or Consulate:
Weapons of any kind or size, sharp metal or glass objects, razor blades, liquids, bottles, powdery substances, umbrellas and electronic or battery-operated equipment (including cell phones, radios, tape recorders, cameras, personal digital assistants, computers). If you have any of these items, you will not be permitted to enter the facility.

3. I have not been informed that I’ll make any payment on the date of the interview. Could it be that has been done before the NVC sent me the invitation letter? Is there a way you can check if I’m required? I can provide my case number.

Thanks as always.

Regards

It's likely that your wife has already paid the visa interview fee. If you're comfortable sharing your case number, I can look it up.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:26am On Mar 25, 2015
HesInMe:
You've stated earlier that you (at the consulate) accept attestations of birth from the National Population Commission in lieu of the long-form birth certificate but would you know if the National Visa Center does as well? Here's what the NVC says for applicants born in Lagos who don't have a birth certificate:

"Birth and Death Certificates
Generally available, particularly for events occurring after 1970. Registration of births and deaths is compulsory in Lagos. The National Population Commission issues birth certificates for births after 1992. For Lagos records, certified copies of records for dates ending with 1979 can be obtained at the Lagos State Ministry of Health, Old Secretariat, Ikeja, Lagos."

It's the italicized bit that has me worried -- it's near impossible to get certificates from the state ministry of health -- and has delayed my submission of supporting documentation to the NVC.

I'd say just send what you have with an explanatory letter. IF NVC checks with us here, we can vouch that it's tough to get a birth certificate. NVC should be cool with an NPC document, though.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:26am On Mar 25, 2015
Angelica123:
Good day ma,
My husband send a mail to request for an interview since last week but we did not get any response. It is for a 221g follow up interview.
Is it possible for us to get a response before Friday?

Thank you.

Hmm, we do try to answer e-mails more quickly than this. Could you ask him to send it again, just in case? Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:28am On Mar 25, 2015
shagisha:

please madam,you omitted my question.please i dont mean
to disturb you, i just felt like putting the whole issue before
you so that i can go ahead or not.I understand that the child
must qualify as an orphan in some certain ways but i dont
know if this is one of them.I would not want to spend time
and effort only to go for interview and he is not qualified.
please ma,if u can, i would really appreciate your reply on this.
thanks.

Well, the problem is that legally and ethically I really can't tell you a definite yes or no based on what we're writing here in Nairaland. Without seeing the case in front of me and talking to people, I can't get the whole story, and there might be an important detail that would change everything...

Your best bet is to do a lot of research. http://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en.html is a good place to start.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2015
olatexas:

Thank you ma for prompt reply. So I can file the i-129F again after i-130 approval?? Wow Thanx a bunch

Yes, the I-130 has to be approved before you can file the I-129F for a K3.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:33am On Mar 25, 2015
Euma:

"It is not easy leaving your life in one country to begin a new one in another country. However, I believe we will be alright..." This may be the most American thing anyone has ever written! I'm glad you're part of my country now.

Here's a song written and sung by another awesome immigrant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmc-pEyUHTs

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 8:35am On Mar 25, 2015
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bugsosar: 8:38am On Mar 25, 2015
Dear Visa Officer,

I have discussed my K1 case with you couple of days back. i appeared in Interview at US Consulate in Sydney on 23/12/2014 where due to lack of documents i was put on 221(g) administrative processing. after that all the documents were provided timely to them and me and my fiance in US was interviewed again over phone. i have got an email couple of days back from consulate saying that your petition is expired and ask your fiance to send us a request letter for re-validation which we did. Now on the inquiry they say that letter has been received and is under observation if approved you will not be notified otherwise we will write you to guide you further but mean while my status on the CEAC website is updated from Administrative processing to Refused as on 24th of March 15. and then i recieved an email from the courier service saying that a your documents from US consulate is on the way to your home which for sure is the refusal letter and my documents back. I would appreciate if you can please comment whats going on as the staff here in Australia is not cooperative at all i called them up million times and they operators says they dont help with the visa's and if you write an email they dont read it all just reply randomly. as they replied to email on 25th saying letter is under observation but meanwhile returned the documents which are on the way. please help and guide me what should i do next in case of refusal everything was on track i dont know whats the reason for their refusal...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:39am On Mar 25, 2015
eoc4ever:
Hello Ma, how are you doing? Please I'll like an update on our case, if any, due to the recent developments. Have contacted the embassy as instructed and have not received any notice yet, please kindly advice. Regards to you and your family, thanks and God bless.

Unless something new has happened, we're waiting for you to let us know when you can come see us for a follow-up interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:45am On Mar 25, 2015
cutemydee:
Good morning V.O,
Please I just want to ask if you have helped me with the investigation. Sorry for bothering you.
Case number: LGS2014677037

No bother! The case was "stuck" due to a computer problem, but the officer shook it loose, and now the visas are being printed. They should be ready for pick-up by next Monday. Apologies for the delay -- computers can be cranky.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:47am On Mar 25, 2015
Bugsosar:
Dear Visa Officer,

I have discussed my K1 case with you couple of days back. i appeared in Interview at US Consulate in Sydney on 23/12/2014 where due to lack of documents i was put on 221(g) administrative processing. after that all the documents were provided timely to them and me and my fiance in US was interviewed again over phone. i have got an email couple of days back from consulate saying that your petition is expired and ask your fiance to send us a request letter for re-validation which we did. Now on the inquiry they say that letter has been received and is under observation if approved you will not be notified otherwise we will write you to guide you further but mean while my status on the CEAC website is updated from Administrative processing to Refused as on 24th of March 15. and then i recieved an email from the courier service saying that a your documents from US consulate is on the way to your home which for sure is the refusal letter and my documents back. I would appreciate if you can please comment whats going on as the staff here in Australia is not cooperative at all i called them up million times and they operators says they dont help with the visa's and if you write an email they dont read it all just reply randomly. as they replied to email on 25th saying letter is under observation but meanwhile returned the documents which are on the way. please help and guide me what should i do next in case of refusal everything was on track i dont know whats the reason for their refusal...

Hmm, it's difficult to say based on what you've written. My advice, which won't be very comforting, is to wait until you receive the documents so you can see if there is a refusal letter attached. If that's the case, your fiance can always file a new petition on your behalf (not the optimal solution from your point of view, but better than taking no action at all).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 8:50am On Mar 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Unless something new has happened, we're waiting for you to let us know when you can come see us for a follow-up interview.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bugsosar: 8:50am On Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for the prompt response sir. so we have to go on with the new petition or is there any possible way to appeal? or ask them for reconsideration. sorry i am asking these questions on this forum as i see you are available for help all the time but to be frank i get no help from the staff here at Australia at all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:54am On Mar 25, 2015
eoc4ever:

I sent an email on Monday that I'll be strong enough to move around next week and i got this response few hours later:

Thank you for your e-mail. We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate unit. We urge you to wait patiently for a substantive response.

Please ma kindly help me out.

I could put you down for April 2 at 10:00 if you're comfortable traveling so close to the holiday weekend.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:56am On Mar 25, 2015
Bugsosar:
Thanks for the prompt response sir. so we have to go on with the new petition or is there any possible way to appeal? or ask them for reconsideration. sorry i am asking these questions on this forum as i see you are available for help all the time but to be frank i get no help from the staff here at Australia at all.

I wish I could help, but without knowing the details of your case, I really don't know what to say. I'd wait until you receive the documents and letter, so you can be certain.

It's hard to appeal a K visa decision because they're non-immigrant petitions. and once a non-immigrant decision has been made, the proper way to rebut it is to apply again. But if the case has been refused and the petition's returned to USCIS, the petitioner can contact USCIS and ask for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 8:57am On Mar 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I could put you down for April 2 at 10:00 if you're comfortable traveling so close to the holiday weekend.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.