Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677961 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ijenma1: 9:31am On Apr 29, 2015
good morning VO , am really excited about this link. one more question, i got a divorce from my previous marriage 2yrs back now, and i had two kids from the marriage . my ex husband is against my going to the states with my kids . so the both families have reached an agreement for the kids to stay with my mother inlaw . my husband included their names in the i-130 form . my question now is since am not able to leave with them is it possible to still filed for them after now . thanks
VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately it can take six to eight months for NVC to process and approve a petition. I hope you get an appointment soon!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aburoy(m): 9:59am On Apr 29, 2015
Good Morning Madam,
I must say am very impressed with your work ethics. Despite been on vacation/leave, you still attend to messages from Nigerians, I pray it helps in your appraisal.
Madam, please its almost 2weeks mine and Siblings DNA kits reached the American embassy but I am yet to receive a call or mail for an appointment. What do u advise I do? Send an email to the embassy? If yes, what should be the content of the mail? Or should I still give more time considering the deadline issued by USCIS is drawing closer with each ticking seconds. Will appreciate your swift response. God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ijenma1: 10:46am On Apr 29, 2015
good morning VO , am really excited about this link. one more question, i got a divorce from my previous marriage 2yrs back now, and i had two kids from the marriage . my ex husband is against my going to the states with my kids . so the both families have reached an agreement for the kids to stay with my mother inlaw . my husband included their names in the i-130 form . my question now is since am not able to leave with them is it possible to still filed for them after now . thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olempe(m): 10:47am On Apr 29, 2015
My Pastor, a polytechnic lecturer is going for an academic conference in Harvard next month. He went to GTBank to pay for Visa application fee but don't know how to book Visa appointment, he asked at GTBank afetr he payed and they just told him that "that would be all they could do." I told him I will help him to find out cos he's not using any agent and that's because he has all necessary documents and the conference is being sponsored by the federal govt.

I will be glad if you could tell me how to do the visa interview booking because the conference is slated for May 26-30, 2015, Harvard Medical School.

Thank you sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dcpromo: 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2015
Dear Visa Officer,

Thank you very much for responding to my questions, i appreciated all that. To my uttermost surprise, we received an interview date today! Guess what? i have been gyrating ever since! I can't wait.

Below are some things i would love to know.

(a)Let's assume that we get done on time with the medical exams and have the result handy, is it okay if i email the IV section and request an early interview date?
(b)Talking about the medical result, is it mandatory to attend the interview with the Xray result that is always enclosed in that huge envelope or just only the sealed envelope? I know that the sealed envelope is mandatory.
(c) Is the immigrant visa application part 1 and 2 filled online be printed out and be brought to the visa interview or just only the confirmation page that is needed?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

VisaOfficer:

If there's no record of your case in our system, that means it is still with the National Visa Center. They've asked us to add appointments in June AND to send them our schedule for July, but May is already fully scheduled; so, unfortunately, I doubt your wife will be interviewed before your anniversary. I hope she gets an interview date soon!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 6:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
Greetings Visa Officer,
I was at the GSS Collection Center this morning to get my passport but was told that my passport was recalled back to the Consulate this morning.What is the reason for this?On the CEAC website it says "Issued" & it was updated even today after my wife & I sent emails to the Consulate making inquiry with regard to what happened today.How do we know it is ready for collection when & if it is sent back to GSS Collection Center?Thank you.-Akinduro S Rufus
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2015
Zariah:
Hi VO, i have a question. Is it possible that my approved I -129f petition is sent to the US embassy in Lagos instead of NVC? My petition has being approved for over 35 days and NVC has no record of it or a case number only for a USCIS operator to tell me that K1s are no longer sent to NVC but straight to foreign consulates. Is this true please?

You know, this is the first time it's occurred to me that I-129Fs might come straight to us from USCIS without passing through NVC. (As you can tell, I'm not the person who opens the boxes when they first arrive. This is a good question -- I'm learning things along with you.) I'm guessing there's no reason for I-129Fs to go through NVC, since we ask K applicants to schedule their own appointments as soon as the petitions arrive at post. On the other hand, we don't assign the case numbers -- the case numbers are assigned to them before the petitions are sent to us. So it sounds like, although the petition has been approved, USCIS hasn't assigned a case number to it and sent it to us yet.

I'll check on my reasoning when I get back to the office, and if the above isn't correct, I'll let you know.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
dcpromo:
Dear Visa Officer,

Thank you very much for responding to my questions, i appreciated all that. To my uttermost surprise, we received an interview date today! Guess what? i have been gyrating ever since! I can't wait.

Great! smiley

Below are some things i would love to know.

(a)Let's assume that we get done on time with the medical exams and have the result handy, is it okay if i email the IV section and request an early interview date?

No. We only expedite appointments in life-and-death emergencies. Keep in mind that everyone who has an interview date before yours has already been waiting longer than you have.

(b)Talking about the medical result, is it mandatory to attend the interview with the Xray result that is always enclosed in that huge envelope or just only the sealed envelope? I know that the sealed envelope is mandatory.

We don't need the x-ray -- thanks for asking!

(c) Is the immigrant visa application part 1 and 2 filled online be printed out and be brought to the visa interview or just only the confirmation page that is needed?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

You only need to bring the confirmation page.

See you soon!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:41pm On Apr 29, 2015
ijenma1:

Greetings! Yes, you can file for your children any time after you become a Legal Permanent Resident. However, should they marry, you won't be able to file for them until you become a U.S. citizen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2015
Aburoy:
Good Morning Madam,
I must say am very impressed with your work ethics. Despite been on vacation/leave, you still attend to messages from Nigerians, I pray it helps in your appraisal.

Copy... paste... send to supervisor... grin

Madam, please its almost 2weeks mine and Siblings DNA kits reached the American embassy but I am yet to receive a call or mail for an appointment. What do u advise I do? Send an email to the embassy? If yes, what should be the content of the mail? Or should I still give more time considering the deadline issued by USCIS is drawing closer with each ticking seconds. Will appreciate your swift response. God bless.

Feel free to e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask what the status of your kit is. I'll also make sure all the DNA kits and results received while I was out have been attended to (I'm assured that they are). However, you should also let USCIS know that they will need to extend your deadline. Even after we increased the number of DNA collections we do each week, the waiting period for USCIS requests is months long.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:48pm On Apr 29, 2015
olempe:
My Pastor, a polytechnic lecturer is going for an academic conference in Harvard next month. He went to GTBank to pay for Visa application fee but don't know how to book Visa appointment, he asked at GTBank afetr he payed and they just told him that "that would be all they could do." I told him I will help him to find out cos he's not using any agent and that's because he has all necessary documents and the conference is being sponsored by the federal govt.

I will be glad if you could tell me how to do the visa interview booking because the conference is slated for May 26-30, 2015, Harvard Medical School.

Thank you sir.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Or, please see http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
printemps:
Greetings Visa Officer,
I was at the GSS Collection Center this morning to get my passport but was told that my passport was recalled back to the Consulate this morning.What is the reason for this?On the CEAC website it says "Issued" & it was updated even today after my wife & I sent emails to the Consulate making inquiry with regard to what happened today.How do we know it is ready for collection when & if it is sent back to GSS Collection Center?Thank you.-Akinduro S Rufus

As I'm not at the office, I can't check into this one, but I will on Monday if you don't have a resolution yet. In the meantime, please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and ask for an update. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Zariah: 11:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You know, this is the first time it's occurred to me that I-129Fs might come straight to us from USCIS without passing through NVC. (As you can tell, I'm not the person who opens the boxes when they first arrive. This is a good question -- I'm learning things along with you.) I'm guessing there's no reason for I-129Fs to go through NVC, since we ask K applicants to schedule their own appointments as soon as the petitions arrive at post. On the other hand, we don't assign the case numbers -- the case numbers are assigned to them before the petitions are sent to us. So it sounds like, although the petition has been approved, USCIS hasn't assigned a case number to it and sent it to us yet.

I'll check on my reasoning when I get back to the office, and if the above isn't correct, I'll let you know.

Thank you VisaOfficer, I'll be glad if you'd follow up on it when you get back on the job. Warm regards smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 8:47am On Apr 30, 2015
Dear VO, our angel.......it's nice to hear that u guys are having a great celebration for this golden anniversary. Since we are not invited, are we not qualify from the bottles of champagne of celebration? so that we too can also drink and out of control. Lol

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:28am On Apr 30, 2015
sirk111:
Dear VO, our angel.......it's nice to hear that u guys are having a great celebration for this golden anniversary. Since we are not invited, are we not qualify from the bottles of champagne of celebration? so that we too can also drink and out of control. Lol

Here you go!

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olami101: 9:39am On Apr 30, 2015
I greet u our amiable VO for a wonderful job...I will lik to ask a very important question,is Nigeria not going to be eligible for dvlottery again for ever or otherwise,I will lik to knw ma,thank u.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ijenma1: 10:31am On Apr 30, 2015
DEAR VO ,

i don't have the exact words to appreciate your work . i read thru this post everyday ,am sure u have no idea how helpful you've been to many Nigerians seeking visa consultation assistance .

i pray Gods grace up your life .

Do have a fulfilled day .

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 30, 2015
Hi VO,

Thanks for your earlier reply.

Is it true that there is no more available slot for interview at the Lagos embassy for IR1 and CR1 for June?

NVC keep saying that interview for case complete in April cant be schedule for June interview because there is no more available interview slot for Nigeria for June. Most of the people scheduled for June - that i have seem from another forum which i joined for Nigeria - are for people that have case complete in March.

Because NVC suddenly decrease their processing time from 60day to less than 25days now (officially, its 30days but 2weeks CC are very common now). Hence, there seems to be a lot of people with case complete that might end up waiting for 3-4 months now for an interview date.

Is it possible for the embassy to increase the interview slot available so that people dont need to wait for 3months from case complete at NVC to interview at the embassy.

I know i sound desperate, but i am really desperate now............. cheesy cheesy cheesy smiley smiley smiley cool cool
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 11:43am On Apr 30, 2015
Dear V.O, I can't just stop laughing, very funy! But i can't feel this kind of champagne in my mouth! i am talking about real champagne. Oh God.... Very funy. Anyway thanks for that, at least, u still share something thou! Cheers........

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lindababy2u: 12:03pm On Apr 30, 2015
Thank you v.o for your reply another thing is I ommitted my village in my parent's address although the house number and the town is there and I know retrieving it will delay my case. I made sure now that the house is boldly seen on the wall of the house. My questions are ; do you still send someone from your office to investigate and know if all the beneficiary said is true. Again do you also go to there place of work . I'm just worry about the mistake
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by greenjeet: 8:45pm On Apr 30, 2015
I130 Approved For Alien Relative Filed Who Is Spouse Already In USA On H1B. by greenjeet: 10:10pm On Apr 23

Hello VO,
I am a permanent resident of US who had filed I130 for my spouse who is already in USA on H1B for work. I was under the impression that when USCIS has a visa available I will be asked to file I485( status adjustment to Permanent resident). But instead I received a packet from National Visa Center stating to prepare and submit documents, pay the immigrant fees after which they will have schedule a visa interview back in our country of birth. I dont understand why? Kindly advise if you have any insight. I dont want to delay the process for any reason of my ignorance.

TIA

Greenjeet
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by gentleiphy: 11:26pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hello House,
i am planning to attend a summit in New York of an NGO i belong to coming up July 27 2015 ,it is a 3 day Summit in partnership with UN,Unesco,was in a world congress of same NGO in Germany late last year for a week,i have paid for the summit registration fee and gotten my invitation letter sent.now when can i book for visa interview appointment as the Summit is from 27th July to 30th.Booking visa appointment end of May or early June will it be too late?And what is my chance of being issued a visa(I have been to Germany,Holland,France,Dubai,South Africa,Turkey and Ghana respectively).
Thanks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:51pm On May 01, 2015
olami101:
I greet u our amiable VO for a wonderful job...I will lik to ask a very important question,is Nigeria not going to be eligible for dvlottery again for ever or otherwise,I will lik to knw ma,thank u.

It's possible that Nigeria might be eligible for the Diversity Visa program again some day. To be eligible, a country must have sent less than 50,000 immigrants in the past five years to the United States. Nigeria now sends more than 10,000 immigrants every year to the U.S. (that is, more than 50,000 in the past five years), so it's not currently eligible to participate in the DV program. But if for some reason the number should dip back below that threshold, Nigeria will be eligible again.

The 50,000 number was fixed as the threshold in the 1990s, and any country that surpasses that number becomes ineligible to participate in the program. There's no other criteria for eligibility. I mention this because I've read some odd rumors about why Nigeria is no longer eligible and I wanted to set the record straight.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:54pm On May 01, 2015
jaidopor:
Hi VO,

Thanks for your earlier reply.

Is it true that there is no more available slot for interview at the Lagos embassy for IR1 and CR1 for June?

NVC keep saying that interview for case complete in April cant be schedule for June interview because there is no more available interview slot for Nigeria for June. Most of the people scheduled for June - that i have seem from another forum which i joined for Nigeria - are for people that have case complete in March.

Because NVC suddenly decrease their processing time from 60day to less than 25days now (officially, its 30days but 2weeks CC are very common now). Hence, there seems to be a lot of people with case complete that might end up waiting for 3-4 months now for an interview date.

Is it possible for the embassy to increase the interview slot available so that people dont need to wait for 3months from case complete at NVC to interview at the embassy.

I know i sound desperate, but i am really desperate now............. cheesy cheesy cheesy smiley smiley smiley cool cool

We increased our June numbers last week in response to a request from USCIS, and then they asked us to submit our July schedule. That usually means they're not going to ask us to increase our June numbers again.

We're working hard to accommodate the increased caseload, so that no one has to wait for an appointment once NVC is ready to send us their case. I'm sure people who have been to interviews lately can attest that our waiting room is always full! I hope everyone here gets an interview soon.

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:56pm On May 01, 2015
lindababy2u:
Thank you v.o for your reply another thing is I ommitted my village in my parent's address although the house number and the town is there and I know retrieving it will delay my case. I made sure now that the house is boldly seen on the wall of the house. My questions are ; do you still send someone from your office to investigate and know if all the beneficiary said is true. Again do you also go to there place of work . I'm just worry about the mistake

We do conduct site investigations, yes. Not in every case, though. But omitting the village in your parents' address is not the sort of error that will affect your application.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:57pm On May 01, 2015
greenjeet:
I130 Approved For Alien Relative Filed Who Is Spouse Already In USA On H1B. by greenjeet: 10:10pm On Apr 23

Hello VO,
I am a permanent resident of US who had filed I130 for my spouse who is already in USA on H1B for work. I was under the impression that when USCIS has a visa available I will be asked to file I485( status adjustment to Permanent resident). But instead I received a packet from National Visa Center stating to prepare and submit documents, pay the immigrant fees after which they will have schedule a visa interview back in our country of birth. I dont understand why? Kindly advise if you have any insight. I dont want to delay the process for any reason of my ignorance.

TIA

Greenjeet

I don't know why they aren't asking you for the I-485. My advice is to remind USCIS that you're in the U.S. on an H1B, and to ask them if they'll accept the I-485 form.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:58pm On May 01, 2015
gentleiphy:
Hello House,
i am planning to attend a summit in New York of an NGO i belong to coming up July 27 2015 ,it is a 3 day Summit in partnership with UN,Unesco,was in a world congress of same NGO in Germany late last year for a week,i have paid for the summit registration fee and gotten my invitation letter sent.now when can i book for visa interview appointment as the Summit is from 27th July to 30th.Booking visa appointment end of May or early June will it be too late?And what is my chance of being issued a visa(I have been to Germany,Holland,France,Dubai,South Africa,Turkey and Ghana respectively).
Thanks

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aydupy: 8:11pm On May 01, 2015
Hello visa officer I would like to find out if parents that are US citizens can file for their married children. Thankyou
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:46pm On May 01, 2015
aydupy:
Hello visa officer I would like to find out if parents that are US citizens can file for their married children. Thankyou

Yes! U.S. citizen parents can file for their married children, and spouses and children can be included in the case. smiley This is the F3 visa category, and the waiting time is around 11 years at present.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by koskikun: 9:32pm On May 01, 2015
Hello Visa Officer. I've been Scheduled for interview in June by NVC. I understand the immigrant visa is valid for 6 months. Does the validity start from the day the medical is done or the day the visa is issued. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aydupy: 11:04pm On May 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Yes! U.S. citizen parents can file for their married children, and spouses and children can be included in the case. smiley This is the F3 visa category, and the waiting time is around 11 years at present.

Thank you for the prompt response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 11:28pm On May 01, 2015
Good day ma, please sorry for my too many questions ma, please we are to get the result of our DNA testing last Wednesday as promised by the panel doctors, but has of today, we have not heard anything from them, even no Information has been passed to my dad, please what could have happened? Or could it be that he will not be sent the result, but the Embassy, and please have you gotten any information on our case, Adepoju family ma.

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (223)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.