Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (819888 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FrontPageLawyer(m): 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2015
Great Job Visa Officer.

Base on your response to @Steryville and people’s experiences during interview.

Change in circumstances could mean different things from Marriage to having a new child, change in finances and capital, Promotion etc.

Question;

If a genuine businessman applies for a non-immigrant visa in January 2015 and was refused a visa. In February 2015, he won a Government contract worth $10M to construct a bridge and decides to reapply for same visa category in March 2015 for a business visit or Tourism and submits a new application.

To the businessman, the aforementioned contract is considered a “change in circumstances”. How does he convince the visa officer that under two Months, there had been tremendous changes in his business knowing fully well that he cannot mention it at the interview neither will the visa officer collects contract papers as a proof? (we understand it is against your work ethics to coach people on how to answer questions during interview, so please in such circumstances, what is to be done?)

Thank you.

Regards.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tolam08(m): 8:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
abujaniv:

Hello tolam08,

If you're going to visit someone in the US, you should apply for a B1/B2 visa. In general, it is valid for two years, and you are granted up to six months of presence at the port of entry.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU ALLOWED TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES ON A B1/B2 VISA.

Doing so might disqualify you from ever receiving a visa of any kind in the future.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

Thanks so much for your explanation. Please which type of visa can I apply for then that will grant me d grace to work. Can that my cousin whom I have over there be of any advantage in applying for the visa?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by thatnaijaboy: 8:59pm On Nov 24, 2015
Dear Visa Officer,

Thank you for your great job so far.

A few years ago, I successfully completed a Work & Travel program in the United States and returned to my country of residence in Europe. At the time, I applied for the J1 visa from this country of residence.

However, I plan to apply for a J1 Trainee visa at this time and an agency informed me that I have to apply for this program from my home country due to general regulations. Does it mean I have to travel to Nigeria to apply for a J1 Trainee visa even though I am legally resident and work in Europe?

Your clarifications will be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:19am On Nov 25, 2015
FrontPageLawyer:
Great Job Visa Officer.

Base on your response to @Steryville and people’s experiences during interview.

Change in circumstances could mean different things from Marriage to having a new child, change in finances and capital, Promotion etc.

Question;

If a genuine businessman applies for a non-immigrant visa in January 2015 and was refused a visa. In February 2015, he won a Government contract worth $10M to construct a bridge and decides to reapply for same visa category in March 2015 for a business visit or Tourism and submits a new application.

To the businessman, the aforementioned contract is considered a “change in circumstances”. How does he convince the visa officer that under two Months, there had been tremendous changes in his business knowing fully well that he cannot mention it at the interview neither will the visa officer collects contract papers as a proof? (we understand it is against your work ethics to coach people on how to answer questions during interview, so please in such circumstances, what is to be done?)

Thank you.

Regards.

Hello FrontPageLawyer,

As you pointed out, we don't coach. If you don't think we're going to be able to believe/see the change, then I wouldn't advise you to apply so quickly after a refusal. What's the rush to go to the US?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:36am On Nov 25, 2015
tolam08:

Thanks so much for your explanation. Please which type of visa can I apply for then that will grant me d grace to work. Can that my cousin whom I have over there be of any advantage in applying for the visa?

Hello tolam08,

Having a cousin/friend in the United States will not influence your ability to legally work there.

In order to work, an employer from the United States would have to petition for your presence. The only non-immigrant visa classification which qualifies is an H-1B which is for specialized workers with at least a Bachelor's degree. Again, an employer would need to pay for this worker to go through the process and petition through our Department of Labor. Unless you have specialized skills, you would not qualify.

For all other work in the US, you should visit our immigrant visa forum and read through the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2669622/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FrontPageLawyer(m): 7:39am On Nov 25, 2015
abujaniv:

Hello FrontPageLawyer,

As you pointed out, we don't coach. If you don't think we're going to be able to believe/see the change, then I wouldn't advise you to apply so quickly after a refusal. What's the rush to go to the US?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

Thank you visa officer. Even though I understand what a change in circumstance is" the question and example used was for the benefit of this forum, especially coming from the horse's mouth.

I appreciate your timely response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Emiratekey(m): 10:59am On Nov 25, 2015
Good morning house, I went for an interview last year October but I was denied, and the consular said I should make sure that my circumstance has changed before I reply. Pleas what does dat mean?mind u before I was going for conference but now me my wife and my kid are going for exam holiday. Is this going to be possible?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:19pm On Nov 25, 2015
Emiratekey:
Good morning house, I went for an interview last year October but I was denied, and the consular said I should make sure that my circumstance has changed before I reply. Pleas what does dat mean?mind u before I was going for conference but now me my wife and my kid are going for exam holiday. Is this going to be possible?

Hello Emiratekey,

You received a letter regarding why you were refused. Unless you believe your circumstance and ties to Nigeria have significantly changed since your last interview, the adjudication will likely be the same.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Iseda: 3:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
Hello everyone, i am new here .. Im looking at applying for IMBA Health informatics in University of Southern new Hampshire university united states.. Please is there anybody in the house who is currently there, also i want to know their tuition for this program and if i must deposit in nigeria before leaving, also if i can pay once or thrice...lastly can my current place of work be my sponsor? if am using my parent a sponsor, how much should be in there
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by omomuse23: 4:18pm On Nov 25, 2015
one of my friend did interview today in abuja and he was refused visa and he's going for honeymoon with his wife because the wife
have visa already and he told the consular still yet he was refused and the consular said they don't give visa for honeymoon is that true.
what can you advise since the wife has a visa and now they refused the husband
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:29pm On Nov 25, 2015
Iseda:
Hello everyone, i am new here .. Im looking at applying for IMBA Health informatics in University of Southern new Hampshire university united states.. Please is there anybody in the house who is currently there, also i want to know their tuition for this program and if i must deposit in nigeria before leaving, also if i can pay once or thrice...lastly can my current place of work be my sponsor? if am using my parent a sponsor, how much should be in there

I think you're posting this in the wrong thread...
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
omomuse23:
one of my friend did interview today in abuja and he was refused visa and he's going for honeymoon with his wife because the wife
have visa already and he told the consular still yet he was refused and the consular said they don't give visa for honeymoon is that true.
what can you advise since the wife has a visa and now they refused the husband

Hello omomuse23,

Just consulted with all the consular officers: no one has ever told an applicant that we don't give visas for honeymoons. Each applicant, regardless of what their purpose of travel, is evaluated for whether they qualify for their visa class. It appears your friend did not qualify. Unless told otherwise, they can apply in the future when their circumstances change.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OgaTheTop2: 6:53pm On Nov 25, 2015
@ abujaniv

Wonderful work you're doing. You are really appreciated.

I submitted my online DS-160 today and booked appointment but unfortunately the appointment given to me was far off. I planned to take 10 days short tourism vacation to start December 13th through December 22nd. I planned to go to USA and return in good time to be able to spend Xmas and new year with my folks at my hometown (which is a yearly event since childhood).

Unfortunately I was given interview date first week in January 2016. I purposely choose to apply in Abuja because of the shorter wait time of 8 days before interview appointment.

Dear VO, what do you suggest I do to have my interview before December 10th Is that possible If not, would the vo understand my plight if I told him I had to change my traveling itinerary from December to January In the ds-160 I filled my arrival and departure date.

Thank you VO.

Note: my official annual leave from work is just 30 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays) spanning December 2015 through mid January 2016sad
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ojdon4real: 6:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
Good evening ,
I am james by name I put in for B1, B2 visa and mt interview date Is close I want to know I have been to 2 countries but not on my bew passport but on my expired passport. Please would love to know if to carry along that expired passport or just d new one. Thanks I need answers because soon I will be going to abuja
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Ess: 11:12pm On Nov 25, 2015
This question has been talked about before but I would love to hear Abujaniv's response:

Supposing I earn N12m per annum as my total package.
But on a monthly basis I receive say N500k and the remaining N6m is being paid as upfront as either house, holiday, medical allowances.

So, in filling salary amount what is exactly the amount to be written; N500k or N1m since the total package divide by 12 will be a truer picture of my earning power.

NB: on bank statement monthly inflow is N500k and bulk upfront and other allowances but not monthly.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:37am On Nov 26, 2015
OgaTheTop2:
@ abujaniv

Wonderful work you're doing. You are really appreciated.

I submitted my online DS-160 today and booked appointment but unfortunately the appointment given to me was far off. I planned to take 10 days short tourism vacation to start December 13th through December 22nd. I planned to go to USA and return in good time to be able to spend Xmas and new year with my folks at my hometown (which is a yearly event since childhood).

Unfortunately I was given interview date first week in January 2016. I purposely choose to apply in Abuja because of the shorter wait time of 8 days before interview appointment.

Dear VO, what do you suggest I do to have my interview before December 10th Is that possible If not, would the vo understand my plight if I told him I had to change my traveling itinerary from December to January In the ds-160 I filled my arrival and departure date.

Thank you VO.

Note: my official annual leave from work is just 30 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays) spanning December 2015 through mid January 2016sad

Hello OgaTheTop2,

Unfortunately our first available interview dates are in January. Emergency appointment requests should only be submitted under limited circumstances (see here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp)

You can certainly tell the consular officer at the interview about the situation and they will understand.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:38am On Nov 26, 2015
ojdon4real:
Good evening ,
I am james by name I put in for B1, B2 visa and mt interview date Is close I want to know I have been to 2 countries but not on my bew passport but on my expired passport. Please would love to know if to carry along that expired passport or just d new one. Thanks I need answers because soon I will be going to abuja

Hello ojdon4real,

Bringing old passports with you to the appointment is a good idea.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:40am On Nov 26, 2015
Ess:
This question has been talked about before but I would love to hear Abujaniv's response:

Supposing I earn N12m per annum as my total package.
But on a monthly basis I receive say N500k and the remaining N6m is being paid as upfront as either house, holiday, medical allowances.

So, in filling salary amount what is exactly the amount to be written; N500k or N1m since the total package divide by 12 will be a truer picture of my earning power.

NB: on bank statement monthly inflow is N500k and bulk upfront and other allowances but not monthly.

Hello Ess,

Put whichever you'd like on the DS-160 and just explain the situation at the interview if you're asked. Don't lose too much sleep over it.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OgaTheTop2: 8:48am On Nov 26, 2015
abujaniv:

Hello OgaTheTop2,

Unfortunately our first available interview dates are in January. Emergency appointment requests should only be submitted under limited circumstances (see here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp)

You can certainly tell the consular officer at the interview about the situation and they will understand.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
That means I will reschedule my traveling itenerary to January and explain to the consular officer. Thank you sir. You are appreciated. Good job you are doing.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by oloriesther(f): 9:18am On Nov 26, 2015
Hello LagosNIV/ AbujaNIV,

I have a B1/B2 visa that expired in october 2015, I have travelled to the US with it twice and i want to renew. I also have an F1 visa that will expire in April 2016,I have not used the F1 visa as I have deffered the admission.When completing the DS160 during my current renewal application for B1/B2, I was asked for the number of my last US visa and if I am applying for the same class of visa.since my last US visa(F1) expires in April 2016, am i to put the visa number of my B1/B2 visa as thats is what i want to renew or the F1 visa number. Do i still qualify for a dropbox since i am renewing my B1/B2 visa though the F1 visa has not expired.
Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by afembaba(f): 1:41pm On Nov 26, 2015
Hello,thanks for your time here,my hubby just completed the building of a shoping mall which was lunched last saturday.can this be seen as change in circumstance nd in my previous form I wanted to visit new york but after a lot of research I think las Vegas is gonna be more exciting will it be a problem if I change it to las vegas.and lastly is there anything we can do to get date within dec.cus the first available dat is 1st week of jan
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Aburoy(m): 3:53pm On Nov 26, 2015
Good Afternoon VO.
Please I have a concern. I have a pending immigrant Visa petition with NVC . My dad is a USC but I intend going for my M.SC in the US. I have an admission in a different state outside d one he resides n my intention of entering the US is solely for studying but I have a challenge. My dad is my sponsor and he is based in the US and I hear about strong ties to home country. I am perplexed abt this. Could I still apply despite this? Gratitude.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by orimahspence: 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2015
Good evening VO,
i say thank you for the free assistance and support you are giving here , it's helpful in huge measure to applicants. God bless you all at the us embassy .

I have a concern I will like you to address Sir/Ma, please pardon my long missive.

Do you measure someone accomplishment (ties to ones country) by age?

I asked this because I think i have been a victim of an unfair treatment , I am a journalist by profession ,and was scheduled to attend and cover a summit in Washington DC as a media delegate, On the 8th July 2015, I attended an interview in abuja for an I class journalist /Media visa , and was refused , i was given a white paper stating 214B (not having enough ties ) as the reason for my refusal . How did the consular reach such wrong conclusion without asking me (even if she wouldn't believe )?

I am 27 years , moderately travelled and married with two beautiful daughters , living in a house built by myself and own a car, all these I was able to do with complementary income comming from an Oil and gas business I inherited from my dad , my Editor purposely chose me for the assignment because he considered me more Eligible for an I visa than my colleague , but he got surprised when he heard of my refusal , if not for the trust , he almost think I deliberately sabotage the process to avoid going for the assignment, I am also particularly astonished that a 31 years old friend with lesser ties from another media company (of lesser profile) got his visa is issued.

I am billed to attend another conference by February , and my interview is December 30, while i understand that "you do not coach applicant on how to get visa" I still have to ask a pertinent question; how to avoid this unfair Judgement again, , how do I show or tell consular who might want to go Into conjecture again that I have enough ties , please I am afraid I may loose my job and suffer career damage because of this , I'm very much comfortable in my country and never intend to immigrate for any reason , I can't even trade my comfort zone for anything in this world .
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tolam08(m): 7:18am On Nov 27, 2015
abujaniv:

Hello tolam08,

Having a cousin/friend in the United States will not influence your ability to legally work there.

In order to work, an employer from the United States would have to petition for your presence. The only non-immigrant visa classification which qualifies is an H-1B which is for specialized workers with at least a Bachelor's degree. Again, an employer would need to pay for this worker to go through the process and petition through our Department of Labor. Unless you have specialized skills, you would not qualify.

For all other work in the US, you should visit our immigrant visa forum and read through the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2669622/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

I've carefully read through it and I think I fall under the H1B visa group for holders of bachelors degree and special skill.
Can I apply for the visa and be granted even when I don't have any employer in USA presently ready to petition my presence?. Will I be granted the visa to go to USA and stay with my cousin over there for a while and start looking for work when I get there?
I am a holder of Bachelor of Technology degree in chemistry as well as British Safety Certificate.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:27am On Nov 27, 2015
oloriesther:
Hello LagosNIV/ AbujaNIV,

I have a B1/B2 visa that expired in october 2015, I have travelled to the US with it twice and i want to renew. I also have an F1 visa that will expire in April 2016,I have not used the F1 visa as I have deffered the admission.When completing the DS160 during my current renewal application for B1/B2, I was asked for the number of my last US visa and if I am applying for the same class of visa.since my last US visa(F1) expires in April 2016, am i to put the visa number of my B1/B2 visa as thats is what i want to renew or the F1 visa number. Do i still qualify for a dropbox since i am renewing my B1/B2 visa though the F1 visa has not expired.
Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.

Hello oloriesther,

Yes, you still qualify for dropbox. When it asks for the last visa issued, it's talking about the visa you'd like to renew. In this case, that'd be your B1/B2.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:28am On Nov 27, 2015
afembaba:
Hello,thanks for your time here,my hubby just completed the building of a shoping mall which was lunched last saturday.can this be seen as change in circumstance nd in my previous form I wanted to visit new york but after a lot of research I think las Vegas is gonna be more exciting will it be a problem if I change it to las vegas.and lastly is there anything we can do to get date within dec.cus the first available dat is 1st week of jan

Hello afembaba,

You are welcome to apply again. There are no available appointments until January.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:30am On Nov 27, 2015
Aburoy:
Good Afternoon VO.
Please I have a concern. I have a pending immigrant Visa petition with NVC . My dad is a USC but I intend going for my M.SC in the US. I have an admission in a different state outside d one he resides n my intention of entering the US is solely for studying but I have a challenge. My dad is my sponsor and he is based in the US and I hear about strong ties to home country. I am perplexed abt this. Could I still apply despite this? Gratitude.

Hello Aburoy,

It is your decision whether or not to apply. If you decide to go for it, be honest and transparent in your application and at the interview and all factors will be considered in making the adjudication.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:34am On Nov 27, 2015
orimahspence:
Good evening VO,
i say thank you for the free assistance and support you are giving here , it's helpful in huge measure to applicants. God bless you all at the us embassy .

I have a concern I will like you to address Sir/Ma, please pardon my long missive.

Do you measure someone accomplishment (ties to ones country) by age?

I asked this because I think i have been a victim of an unfair treatment , I am a journalist by profession ,and was scheduled to attend and cover a summit in Washington DC as a media delegate, On the 8th July 2015, I attended an interview in abuja for an I class journalist /Media visa , and was refused , i was given a white paper stating 214B (not having enough ties ) as the reason for my refusal . How did the consular reach such wrong conclusion without asking me (even if she wouldn't believe )?

I am 27 years , moderately travelled and married with two beautiful daughters , living in a house built by myself and own a car, all these I was able to do with complementary income comming from an Oil and gas business I inherited from my dad , my Editor purposely chose me for the assignment because he considered me more Eligible for an I visa than my colleague , but he got surprised when he heard of my refusal , if not for the trust , he almost think I deliberately sabotage the process to avoid going for the assignment, I am also particularly astonished that a 31 years old friend with lesser ties from another media company (of lesser profile) got his visa is issued.

I am billed to attend another conference by February , and my interview is December 30, while i understand that "you do not coach applicant on how to get visa" I still have to ask a pertinent question; how to avoid this unfair Judgement again, , how do I show or tell consular who might want to go Into conjecture again that I have enough ties , please I am afraid I may loose my job and suffer career damage because of this , I'm very much comfortable in my country and never intend to immigrate for any reason , I can't even trade my comfort zone for anything in this world .
Thank you

Hello orimahspence,

Our consular officers each interview between 80 and 120 people each day. In the course of a few months, they have already met thousands of Nigerians with a wide range of backgrounds and purposes of travel. We can deduce from a number of factors what each individual's circumstances are and whether they qualify for their visa. Asking directly is not required.

You are welcome to apply again and your application will be considered fairly.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by omomuse23: 10:23am On Nov 27, 2015
One of my girlfriend was refused for visa last week, and when she logging back into our data system she find ( Your passport is still with the US Embassy/Consulate ) We send email to passportstatus@ustraveldocs.com and they reply Your passport is still with post. and she was refused visa what can you advise.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2015
omomuse23:
One of my girlfriend was refused for visa last week, and when she logging back into our data system she find ( Your passport is still with the US Embassy/Consulate ) We send email to passportstatus@ustraveldocs.com and they reply Your passport is still with post. and she was refused visa what can you advise.

Hello omomuse23,

You have a lot of friends applying for visas.

Are you saying they were refused a visa at the interview, and their passport was not handed back to them?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FrontPageLawyer(m): 11:07am On Nov 28, 2015
Good Day Visa offcer.

What @omomuse23 meant was that "his/her friend was refused a visa and international passport returned at the end of the visa interview session, but when passport was tracked at ustravdocs with the passport number, this was the information they received (Your passport is still with the US Embassy/Consulate)"
My colleague experienced same and we are billed to travel to the US in January for a training.
What does the bold signify?
Thank you and enjoy the weekend.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by KnowledgeIsPawa: 1:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hello
Thanks for a great job.
Someone was recently refused a US visa and handed a blue royal executive bond paper. She later discovered that the paper is actually blank. Was it intentional or did the Consular Officer inadvertently handout a blank paper, thinking that it contains text? I do have a lot of experience about visa application issues, having traveled widely but this one sure befuddles me.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (229)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.