Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,563 members, 7,812,822 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:00 PM

Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. (45156 Views)

See What Our Future Leaders Are Doing(pics) / If You Were The One Marking This Waec Paper Would You Do? / Man Marking WAEC May/june 2015 In A BRT Bus: Right Or Wrong? (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by wanted(m): 6:49am On Jul 01, 2014
Danhumprey: Na today? E don tey! It's really awful! Public schools are just glorified home-teaching centres! Heck! Being taught at home seem to be more better than being taught in a public school. Our leaders have failed us!

You sure say nor be PUBLIC SCHOOL you go so?

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 01, 2014
DONMAYOR19: no offense bro, but I tell u that is very wrong for you to open a thread here all because u mark waec script, in case u don't know, marking of waec script should be a private thing, not something you have to make public, ok you make it public now and even mention the locality, what if someone from that area send you personal message now and ask you the name of the school, from there you know what could happen next. I'm extremely sure you not the only one marking waec script here, many people here do mark waec(both the public and private) and neco, but they don't have to make it public because is meant to be official. I surprise I saw this in FP, mode brain self don knock for putting this in front page instead of closing thread...
I agree, he shouldn't have opened this thread. There are different ways to air one's grieviances on education.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Moblord(m): 6:50am On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn: As we conclude this year's June/July WAEC marking, I cry for the future of these students.
I marked 645 scripts in Economics for some Onitsha schools and only 2 candidates scored above 40/80 in paper2. One scored 45 and the other 48 while more than 80% scored below 20. Some 2/80, 1/80 despite my simple marking. Honestly like 3 candidates wrote only "PLEASE HELP ME" in their answer booklets.

One thing I noticed is that all the centers I marked are public school centers. What has gone wrong with our public schools?

A lot of professors in Nigeria today were products of public schools, our president and most Governors are products of public schools, but why have they taken their children abroad, to private schools and destroy the public schools for the less privileged.
Please sir, when will the WAEC results be released?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by ozodimgba(m): 6:50am On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
I forgot to mention that. Almost everybody in a center writes the same thing, in fact a candidate forgot the photocopy of one of the answers in his/her booklet (teacher involved malpractice) and another forgot a page of the keypoint in the booklet. The education sector is really deteriorating by the year.
dis one na original gbege. these are potentially corrupt Nigerians, only God knows what dis set will do with public fund if eventually they get themselves in any public office. I see wahala @ the end of the tunnel.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by MORNDEW(m): 6:54am On Jul 01, 2014
I know this ugly trend did not start with dis present Government but which serious minded Govrnment makes Nyesom Wike the minister of education.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by proffemi: 6:56am On Jul 01, 2014
A number of quick points:

1. Grammmar Nazis please stop the bull: How so Nigerian of you. The OP makes a valid point, but you would prefer to focus on the quality of his written English. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, from Soyinka to George Bush (highly-publicized grammatical blunders). It's fine to make fun of people on those occasions, but not to the extent of derailing a very important discussion. So for God's sake, if all you've come to do here is criticize how others express themselves (rather than their actual ideas), I beg you to (respectfully) get lost.

2. Those blaming the OP for blaming the students rather than helping them are wrong: the man is not their teacher; he is simply marking their scripts, so there is no way *he* can help them. Once again, he has brought a very important message. Focus on the message, not the messenger.

Ah, the message...

There are many direct and indirect causes of the problem OP has observed. Ultimately however, there *is* a single factor to which it can be traced. It has been mentioned here already, so I will simply quote:

hermes_progidy: ...We can say our education system needs serious overhauling but the truth is the poor academic performance of students is a reflection of the larger society where hardwork is mocked and corruption is rewarded.

This is a problem rooted in the value systems of most Nigerian tribes (our strong emphasis on the community places unrealistic expectations on the few haves, leading them to cut all sorts of corners in fending for - and lording it over - the have nots). However, in my opinion, our leaders have really made matters worse.

Forgive me for naming-and-shaming, but I have to say that GEJ has really messed up on this front. In my opinion, he has basically planted a presidential stamp of approval on this idea of rewarding corruption. I do not wish this to disintegrate into a PDP vs APC thread again but the truth is that with the ill-advised statements he has been credited with making, and his handling of Alamaisegha's and other cases, our president has made it that less likely that anyone would take the long and arduous path of hard work as a route to success.

So, what you see is a manifestation of that short-cut mentality at all levels of national life.

Poor teachers, (poorly paid, but guaranteed to be incompetent and lazy anyway, even if paid better) [+]
undisciplined parents (helping children to cheat, as a way to secure their own twilight years, and unwilling to pay the true value for anything, including success) [+] lazy and undisciplined youths of the Information age (more likely to chat and hustle than to do anything as boring as studying [+] greed and poverty-addled society (willing to turn a blind eye to how you got there) [+] inept, bumbling, spineless, corrupt leadership (no expatiation needed) = poor WAEC performance = doomed nation.

We are so screwed (I should know; I teach the "leaders of tomorrow).

7 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Ujunkem(f): 6:59am On Jul 01, 2014
Can't we for once read a post and turn a blind eye to grammatical flaws

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Rapmoney(m): 7:01am On Jul 01, 2014
I weep too for Nigeria...students are no longer interested in their study or research. They are too concerned with listening to 2Chainz and Nicki Minaj, wasting precious time on 2go, whatsapp or some other crap! They see learning as a burden. In the end, they make their results through 'special centres'. This is why we have so many dull and unproductive undergraduates and half-baked graduates. English graduate wey no go fit make one correct sentence; Mechanical Engineering graduates wey no fit change engine oil for car; Elect/Elect graduates wey no fit fix lamp holder!grin

Last bullet: Some parents are just so stewpid, especially some mothers. Na you go pay money for 'runs' for your pikin, na you go still go school go fight teacher for punishing your child, yet na you go still cry pass if your pikin become bad!
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by sharubutu(m): 7:01am On Jul 01, 2014
You're talking about secondary school students. What about university graduates? A youth corp lady who was an officer during the last distribution of permanent voters card couldn't spell business. Instead she wrote 'busenesse' I didn't know when I exclaimed.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by ACM10: 7:04am On Jul 01, 2014
I blame the government for making sure that education sector is chronically underfunded, thereby rendering the noble profession of teaching unlucrative. I bet that the students of that school do not have an Economics teacher, or they have an economics teacher who is poorly-motivated, or their economics teacher is a bad product of the Nigerian educational system. There are many secondary schools in Nigeria who do not have up to 10 teachers. It is the same problem that gave rise to a boom of private schools and lesson centres. Simply put, our government has failed us.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 01, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

Did the Op say whether it's public or private school. Some private schools are worse than government schools.
Are you sure you read what is up there
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Timothy3113(m): 7:16am On Jul 01, 2014
Is it an offence for student to copy the same thing in waec. I mean copying from the same source. Wont the school be penalise for that
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 01, 2014
Naija attacking the messenger and ignoring the message since 1759.

5 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by SirAweezy(m): 7:18am On Jul 01, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: Op could be one of the chronic Igbo haters who isn't happy with the success we made so far in education. So,he decides to help his people by failing Igbo children. Don't be surprised, Yorubas are very dirty and capable of anything. They have no conscience!

Honestly your height of Stupidity is so un-comprehensible.. When we are trying to condemn tribalism, educate our people on religious differences and try to move forward as one nation, by upholding a strong unity amongst us...

You are here spewing trash! I doubt if people like you move forward... it will be so impossible to because of your deluded mentality.

Please don't ever come out and give advice on how Nigeria will grow.. It's obvious you are not growing! Rubbish!!!

7 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 01, 2014
Achebe, Dora,PN okeke, soludo and co also did wuruwuru?
Coming from a northerner undecided
As one who have taught in the north and now a lecturer in a college of education,I can tell you with all sincerity that the north is a failure in terms of education but of course they will always pass because after marking and submitting your result as a lecturer,what you submitted is not what you see on the notice board. I guess its a ghost that changes it.
If students from other tribes are caught in malpractice,they face panel but the northerners don't especially women. Some write on their hijab,some on their baby's body! Yes!you heard that! On the baby's body,some use phone,goggle is their friend. Inspite of all these,they submit rubbish on your table. The school had to ban women from bringing in babies into the exam hall.

This waec malpractice goes on in every state but you people's hatred and envy for Igbos will only make you pick on one tribe.
Juwoonn you were one of those so pained since the day it appeared on nl that Anambra came 1st in Waec. That is the reason for this thread. Just like babymama asked,how sure are we that you are not lying and what made you qualified to mark waec?
My cousin served in maun,in ikpokia local govt area of ogun state. Infact, they(corp members) write for some of the students because even if you write on the black board,many of them still won't write correctly. They can't speak English but yoruba.
Jealousy and envy is all I smell on this thread. The Igbos will continue to excel and nothing will stop them.

mu2sa2: Wuruwuru in waec exams has been going on in SE since time immemorial. Anyone with a distinction or high grade from this area in the past 50 years is prime suspect. Even the ones who call themselves professors today were exam cheats.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by shos: 7:20am On Jul 01, 2014
It is a pity, i wonder what future hold for this grt country
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Captain001(m): 7:25am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

*Sigh* He marked Economics not English, Mr. English professor!

Btw, some of the words you cancelled ain't wrong. You don't even know what you're doing. Smh!

Next=====> undecided

You should be drawn and quartered for criticising right observations. Every word he cancelled was wrong. How would he not know when to use past and present tenses? And this is someone marking WAEC. The Educational system is toast and a high percentage of teachers are no different from the students.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by SirAweezy(m): 7:26am On Jul 01, 2014
prof.femi:
A number of quick points:

1. Grammmar Nazis please stop the bull: How so Nigerian of you. The OP makes a valid point, but you would prefer to focus on the quality of his written English. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, from Soyinka to George Bush (highly-publicized grammatical blunders). It's fine to make fun of people on those occasions, but not to the extent of derailing a very important discussion. So for God's sake, if all you've come to do here is criticize how others express themselves (rather than their actual ideas), I beg you to (respectfully) get lost.

2. Those blaming the OP for blaming the students rather than helping them are wrong: the man is not their teacher; he is simply marking their scripts, so there is no way *he* can help them. Once again, he has brought a very important message. Focus on the message, not the messenger.

Ah, the message...

There are many direct and indirect causes of the problem OP has observed. Ultimately however, there *is* a single factor to which it can be traced. It has been mentioned here already, so I will simply quote:

This is a problem rooted in the value systems of most Nigerian tribes (our strong emphasis on the community places unrealistic expectations on the few haves, leading them to cut all sorts of corners in fending for - and lording it over - the have nots). However, in my opinion, our leaders have really made matters worse.

Forgive me for naming-and-shaming, but I have to say that GEJ has really messed up on this front. In my opinion, he has basically planted a presidential stamp of approval on this idea of rewarding corruption. I do not wish this to disintegrate into a PDP vs APC thread again but the truth is that with the ill-advised statements he has been credited with making, and his handling of Alamaisegha's and other cases, our president has made it that less likely that anyone would take the long and arduous path of hard work as a route to success.

So, what you see is a manifestation of that short-cut mentality at all levels of national life.

Poor teachers, (poorly paid, but guaranteed to be incompetent and lazy anyway, even if paid better) [+]
undisciplined parents (helping children to cheat, as a way to secure their own twilight years, and unwilling to pay the true value for anything, including success) [+] lazy and undisciplined youths of the Information age (more likely to chat and hustle than to do anything as boring as studying [+] greed and poverty-addled society (willing to turn a blind eye to how you got there) [+] inept, bumbling, spineless, corrupt leadership (no expatiation needed) = poor WAEC performance = doomed nation.

We are so screwed (I should know; I teach the "leaders of tomorrow).
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by juman(m): 7:27am On Jul 01, 2014
nigeria is a country without focus, without plan.

A country with no plan for the future will certainly never have the future.

Very senseless "leaders".
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:32am On Jul 01, 2014
The post jst made me recal when ah wrote ma waec. That day was pratical in physic. After the practical and observation, a guy sitting next to me went and copied the graph somewhere, then returned bk to ma sit and guess, HE STARTED COPYING MA SLOPE! Lwkmd!
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by jackpot(f): 7:35am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

*Sigh* He marked Economics not English, Mr. English professor!

Btw, some of the words you cancelled ain't wrong. You don't even know what you're doing. Smh!

Next=====> undecided
Actually, ferdimako was correct in his cancellations.

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by zyzxx(m): 7:47am On Jul 01, 2014
May God help us in this country
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by watchindelta(m): 7:53am On Jul 01, 2014
who na think say it easy to read with empty stomach? even with 365days of painnnn joined lwkd grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by BIGGMAMA: 7:53am On Jul 01, 2014
Baby mama:

Jehovah Shammah!
Somebody wey never take junior WAEC marking WAEC
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by elari(m): 7:54am On Jul 01, 2014
Baby mama: Please how are WAEC markers selected
Are you folks secondary school teachers teaching the subjects you mark or anybody including job applicants can apply and mark the WAEC nwa nu

I remember hearing that Nigeria's papers are marked in Ghana and other countries while we mark theirs
So it ain't so?
. . . not so mama. They usually invite for teachers in the respective subjects to come up. Although people who have had experience marking it before are given preferred. But its shared inter state
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Ranchhoddas: 8:00am On Jul 01, 2014
Ujunkem: Can't we for once read a post and turn a blind eye to grammatical flaws
no we can't
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by juman(m): 8:02am On Jul 01, 2014
Many private schools also have the same habit.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Danhumprey: 8:07am On Jul 01, 2014
wanted:

You sure say nor be PUBLIC SCHOOL you go so?
Nigga,face your front!angry
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:09am On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
One thing I noticed is that all the centers I marked are public school centers. What has gone wrong with our public schools?

A lot of professors in Nigeria today were products of public schools, our president and most Governors are products of public schools, but why have they taken their children abroad, to private schools and destroy the public schools for the less privileged.

I m touched by this bolded truth.
Recently, I tried to explain to a friend the decay going on in our public secondary schools. They are the most populous hence, the high numbers of students that fail WAEC, NECO, JAMB comes from them.
One thing most people don't know is that public schools presently lacked the administrative hand of making teachers to teach well & also to motivate the students to study well. Only few public schools do this & most of them are the traditional pace setters, the old secondary schools that v good records. Though, the high population of public schools didn't help the matter.
Some private schools v started adopting good policies to improve their student's performance.
When their students get good grades in WAEC, NECO, JAMB, people ll say they cheated.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Jman06(m): 8:12am On Jul 01, 2014
Why are you all saying public schools as if private schools are any better? Infact, public schools still remain the best to attend in Nigeria. My reason for saying that is because most of the so called private schools are merely 'show grounds' where people go to flaunt their wealth, with no serious academic works going on there. During my undergrad days, i had friends who finished from private sec schools mostly from Lagos. Many of these guys scored high grades in waec but were the dummies of the class in the university. One of them who was studying pharmacy was withdrawn from pharmacy and transfered to plant science and technology aka botany because he could not cope. The guy actually had a B in his o level chemistry but can't even balance common chemical equation. My younger brother wrote his waec exam last year in the same nigerian public sec school the op is trying to discredit, and made 4 A1s, 3B2 and 2B3. So op, put the blame where it rightly belongs which is the lack of seriousness on the part of those students whose scripts you marked.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by MadCow1: 8:16am On Jul 01, 2014
I marked a few Junior WAEC scripts way back in 2001 and I was like shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

First of all, the failure rating was staggering.. The Handwriting of many were illegible. then to cap it off, I was seeing things like;

- I cover this Paper with the Blood of Jesus.
- Please Help Me.
- Please help me, God Bless you.

and many more.

The matter gave me cause for concern. However, now that I am older I can see the gross effect of this decay. What you see today are the students that were produced by that system. They are the ones who end up in Politics, Public service and as the domestic help we all employ.

The truth is that our Public education system is designed to keep the Poor perpertually poor.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 01, 2014
i marked 264 scripts in english dis yr nd only 1 student crossed 50/100 in paper 2...d lowest was 1 nd i dashed him/her dat mark

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Which Is The Cheapest Federal University In Nigeria Currently? / Aisha Balarabe Bawa's Thesis Plagiarized By Amos Ngaruiya, A Kenyan Lecturer / Five FUTA Students Beat A Female Student For 'Running Her Mouth'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.