Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others (18800 Views)

She Got No Reasons Not To Cook Well (photo) / Shocking: Ex-footballer Odartey Lamptey Discovers 3 Kids With Wife Not His / 10 Reasons Not To Get A Divorce - Read & Have A Rethink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 01, 2014
Wish my dad could see dis,always comparing us 2 our neighbors children,nd telling us how worthless we r,but now d reverse is d case
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Ujunkem(f): 7:36am On Jul 01, 2014
Sometimes they do that in order to make us act better
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ijbeauty(f): 7:36am On Jul 01, 2014
Nice one op...

Mumsy never compared me with anyone, just pop doing it but indirectly, I got used to it and didn't give a damn about it afterwards..... Here i am after so many years walking at my own pace.

Though comparison has its own positive sides, cos it will really make you think deep and adjust in areas your are lacking....

#God bless my parents

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by dania30(f): 7:52am On Jul 01, 2014
It's effect psychologically is overwhelming. Most of the kids are depressed, they feel unloved, most feel suicidal...i'm sure if a survey is taken amongst teens who end up committing suicide most are as a result of this comparison stuff
#it is saddening *sighs*

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by justmenoni: 7:53am On Jul 01, 2014
So true and nothing hurts like been compared to other parents....I asked my dad soemtime why i wasn't born in the uk since some of his friends migrated those year and the old man was like those who travel abroad those days are from poor background and dat naija is better than there Lol..anyway may God lead us right to train our children properly.

Teespice: Well said.

Nothing hurts than being compared to other children/peers.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 01, 2014
chelseabmw: Lol everyone is guilty

Can this really stop?

Nahh I don't think so
it will if we r ready to work nd work hard
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 01, 2014
Boland: Sometimes it helps the child to be more constructive.
pls dont do it to ur child it may mak him construck, hw he will kill you

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 01, 2014
jomile: Wish my dad could see dis,always comparing us 2 our neighbors children,nd telling us how worthless we r,but now d case is d reserve
its REVERSE not RESERVE,no wonder ur parents compared u.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 01, 2014
My mum used to compare me wit dis dude who always gets double promotion in sch...i'v always hated dat guy nd i stil do although i'M in d univ nw nd he's stil writing waec
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by lilkudos(m): 8:24am On Jul 01, 2014
true talk son... True talk.. You forgot to add.. Brain tumor... It gives a child brain tumor... Or worse... Brain bomb!!!! He'll start behaving like an olodo... (okpo)

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by obayaya(m): 8:25am On Jul 01, 2014
Hahaha!!!

My papa and mama wan use comparison kill person. I changed secondary school back then because someone told mum I wasn't as good as she thinks I am. That if I'm in the school her son attends, i'll come last in the class. When I got to the new school, the son in question was dragging first position from behind cheesy

The truth is Comparison has its pros and cons. It can be used to motivate and it can also be used to malign. It all depends on how it's used.

My parents will never appreciate or commend you in your presence. Instead, they'll always use this line "Other people wey dey do am get 2 heads". But if you hear them talk about you outside, you'll be shocked

But there are other times they'll make some comparisons that makes me feel so bad and unworthy.

Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ATSOMEH(f): 8:30am On Jul 01, 2014
Princeojua: It is truely said. But sometime it's not call compare. It's contrast. You won't be direct but you indirectly tell the child that 'Junior, You ain't living up to expectation. I know you can do better than Mike or Jenny. You have better head and brain than them. Do your best.

if a child hears dis everyday, he ll conquer mount everest and obama would be his houseboy.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 01, 2014
obayaya: Hahaha!!!

My papa and mama wan use comparison kill person. I changed secondary school back then because someone told mum I wasn't as good as she thinks I am. That if I'm in the school her son attends, i'll come last in the class. When I got to the new school, the son in question was dragging first position from behind cheesy

The truth is Comparison has its pros and cons. It can be used to motivate and it can also be used to malign. It all depends on how it's used.

My parents will never appreciate or commend you in your presence. Instead, they'll always use this line "Other people wey dey do am get 2 heads". But if you hear them talk about you outside, you'll be shocked

But there are other times they'll make some comparisons that makes me feel so bad and unworthy.

Nice one OP
Sharrap, you be olodo that's why your mama change your school tongue grin

I remember when mum will be comparing my siblings and I to other kids around, I go just dey vex grin grin

Don't feel bad op, its common to all parent, I just wish they know how it makes us feel embarassed
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 01, 2014
jomile: Wish my dad could see dis,always comparing us 2 our neighbors children,nd telling us how worthless we r,but now d case is d reverse
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by obayaya(m): 8:36am On Jul 01, 2014
mz mariah: Sharrap, you be olodo that's why your mama change your school tongue grin

I remember when mum will be comparing my siblings and I to other kids around, I go just dey vex grin grin

Don't feel bad op, its common to all parent, I just wish they know how it makes us feel embarassed

I be olodo but I know say I better pass that boy they were comparing me to tongue
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by coldsummer: 8:36am On Jul 01, 2014
Princeojua: It is truely said. But sometime it's not call compare. It's contrast. You won't be direct but you indirectly tell the child that 'Junior, You ain't living up to expectation. I know you can do better than Mike or Jenny. You have better head and brain than them. Do your best.

For real? Omg that's sooo wrong a statement to say to a child
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 01, 2014
obayaya:

I be olodo but I know say I better pass that boy they were comparing me to tongue
Hahahahahahahahahaha.... but them no change the big school and them change your own grin
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ayobase(m): 8:37am On Jul 01, 2014
I think a parent that compares his/her child to another should evaluated.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ayobase(m): 8:39am On Jul 01, 2014
jomile: Wish my dad could see dis,always comparing us 2 our neighbors children,nd telling us how worthless we r,but now d case is d reserve

You are grown now, it is still acceptable at your age.
tell me. Why is the basis of ur Dad's comparison!
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by obayaya(m): 8:39am On Jul 01, 2014
mz mariah: Hahahahahahahahahaha.... but them no change the big school and them change your own grin

The boy was going to a better school with boarding facilities and of course a more expensive school fees. While I was a day student in one private school around
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by MadCow1: 8:40am On Jul 01, 2014
My Mum compared me to everything including our new Dog Bingo. grin

#Phew.. After many years of crying, I stopped giving a Fhuck.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by obayaya(m): 8:43am On Jul 01, 2014
Mad Cow: My Mum compared me to everything including our new Dog Bingo. grin

Lmao!!!

You dey do like bingo? cheesy

That was how mum called me a goat one day and I asked her "who born this goat?" grin

The look on her face was priceless cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 01, 2014
obayaya:

The boy was going to a better school with boarding facilities and of course a more expensive school fees. While I was a day student in one private school around
OK.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 01, 2014
Mad Cow: My Mum compared me to everything including our new Dog Bingo. grin

Lwkmd cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 01, 2014
I cannot remember being compared to anyone.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Sheenor: 8:56am On Jul 01, 2014
i hate comparison mehn, it kills and weeken mie like madt...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Richiy(f): 9:03am On Jul 01, 2014
Nothing can be worse than low self esteem....seriously...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ayorwizz(m): 9:03am On Jul 01, 2014
Lol...I dnt think dis can be taken away from african parents, nigerian parents precisely.
of which, it gets to a point where it doesn't work anymore coz the kid tend to grow thick-skinned to it. Compare from now till Jesus come, na wetin hin go do he go still do.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ayorwizz(m): 9:08am On Jul 01, 2014
fabiano09:
*faints*
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by NewsINigeria(m): 9:25am On Jul 01, 2014
I agree

SEE What We Are Doing To Christianity Today >>>> http://www..com/what-we-are-doing-to-christianity-today/
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 01, 2014
fabiano09:
R u blind?did u see reserve dere?u dat is trying 2 correct someone can't even read,teacher teach me nonsense

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 01, 2014
It almost destroyed me if not for my resillient nature.
As a child, I grew up as the last of family of four, my elder brother seemed more level headed than me and my parents kept on calling him the best, they would always ask of his opinion whenever we do family meetings, when I try giving mine, they say am not good in reasoning. In fact it got to a point, I hated my brother so much that once that he was sick, I openly prayed that he doesn't recover. I used to cry whenever am alone, I believed they hated me even up to my secondary school. During my secondary days in the boarding house, i was never visited, they always say that I don't make good grades. It even got to a point, my dad made me sign an undertaking that if I make bad grades in school again, I will go and learn carpentry.
The worst happened when they sent me off to go and stay with my uncle in Calabar, I was always in the news for the wrong thing. I became evasive, bitter, hated seeing people, I saw my mates as gods in overall I had a bitter childhood family experience.
However, my help came when my school at Calabar needed a school anthem , they fashioned it into a contest and I won. The victory pushed my form teacher to take interest in me, I started confiding in him. He arranged for lessons for me and I started picking up. It is on record that my first and only jamb that saw me into medical school was paid by him, he made me take sleepless nights. I could remember on one occasion I told him I wanted to die, he called my name and said "your parents don't hate you, rather you hate them. If you love them, they will love you, show them you have something in you, I believe you do, they may have given up on you but I will not" those few sentence Pushed me to work harder, I gained admission into medical school, my parents took interest in me again, paid my tuitions.
Finally today,am here not just as a medical doctor but also as a success.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help!i Am Madly In Love With My Wife Best Friend / How Often Does Your Spouse Provoke You? / Let's Talk About Marriage(homosexuality,polygamy And Others)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.