Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others (18789 Views)

She Got No Reasons Not To Cook Well (photo) / Shocking: Ex-footballer Odartey Lamptey Discovers 3 Kids With Wife Not His / 10 Reasons Not To Get A Divorce - Read & Have A Rethink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by ibrahimbabagana: 10:00am On Jul 01, 2014
my mum use to tell me "obiora why wont u be like obasanjo"
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by J0nyb0y(m): 10:20am On Jul 01, 2014
DesChyko: It hurts to be compared, yes. But what our parents expect of us is to turn the pain from it into constructive energy, and we cannot blame them for wanting the best from us. If they do so, inspite of the negative feelings it may brew in us at first, they do so for our own good.
Even as you get older, you begin to compare yourself to others to motivate yourself, so, what really is their wrong?
Perhaps they overdo it, perhaps we overeact to it, all in all, lets not lose sight of the message they give.
After all, they do not expose all our wrongdoings to our faces, do they? They notice some, but keep mum on it.
Imagine a life without challenges and targets. The comparisons are essential, I tell you.
not when they become more often and overhyped
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 01, 2014
Boland: Sometimes it helps the child to be more constructive.

What kind of constructive judgment do you want a child to have when he/she has bullies to deal with in school without you telling him/her that 'someone' is actually better.

Even when she/he has it in her/himself to stand up and avoid being bully the 'my mum thinks I'm not tat good anyway' stops her/him from defending himself. There are ways to achieve constructiveness in a child and it has nothing to do with 'comparison' especially for the wrong reason. It so happens that the person might even be bullying your child behind your back, what harsher weapon can such person have?

"Even your mum thinks I'm way better than, so pick up the bag, you pickleface." that's just wrong on mane levels.

I always thought my mum was the bully and my dad was my ally. But I would rather stick my little nose up and give plenty reasons why I'm better than 'the person' regardless of how true the situation is. And she would smack me but I had said my bit, till I realized that she wasn't the enemy, just a caring woman whose dream for me was 'huuuggggeeee!!!'

Esp when I always acted all tomboyish anyway. grin

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Boland(m): 10:39am On Jul 01, 2014
shoefreak:

What kind of constructive judgment do you want a child to have when he/she has bullies to deal with in school without you telling him/her that 'someone' is actually better.

Even when she/he has it in her/himself to stand up and avoid being bully the 'my mum thinks I'm not tat good anyway' stops her/him from defending himself. There are ways to achieve constructiveness in a child and it has nothing to do with 'comparison' especially for the wrong reason. It so happens that the person might even be bullying your child behind your back, what harsher weapon can such person have?

"Even your mum thinks I'm way better than, so pick up the bag, you pickleface." that's just wrong on mane levels.

I always thought my mum was the bully and my dad was my ally. But I would rather stick my little nose up and give plenty reasons why I'm better than 'the person' regardless of how true the situation is. And she would smack me but I had said my bit, till I realized that she wasn't the enemy, just a caring woman whose dream for me was 'huuuggggeeee!!!'

Esp when I always acted all tomboyish anyway. grin
I wrote "sometimes" ma'am, not in all cases. Nice one though.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 01, 2014
ayorwizz: Lol...I dnt think dis can be taken away from african parents, nigerian parents precisely.
of which, it gets to a point where it doesn't work anymore coz the kid tend to grow thick-skinned to it. Compare from now till Jesus come, na wetin hin go do he go still do.

Yes, exactly. Eventually the child will think "why bother" and not even pay you any mind anymore.

It's really not good at all.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 01, 2014
obayaya:

Lmao!!!

You dey do like bingo? cheesy

That was how mum called me a goat one day and I asked her "who born this goat?" grin

The look on her face was priceless cheesy

LWKMD that's amazing
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 01, 2014
Boland: I wrote "sometimes" ma'am, not in all cases. Nice one though.
Ok
Thanks. Cheers
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 01, 2014
piano, music, maths, physics teachers available, please call 08169116771
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Boland(m): 11:05am On Jul 01, 2014
shoefreak:
Ok
Thanks. Cheers
I could bet u've gotten lot of shoes. smiley
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 01, 2014
jomile: R u blind?did u see reserve dere?u dat is trying 2 correct someone can't even read,teacher teach me nonsense
u need mental check up,read wat u wrote dumbass!
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Abbey2sam(m): 11:25am On Jul 01, 2014
technophile: I wish my mom can read this. The most annoying thing is that all the children she's comparing me with are not better than me, for example one of them saw my O'level result, marvelled at it wishing he could have something like that, this guy sat for 3 exams and still find it very difficult to bring out five credits in all the 3, yet mom wants me to emulate him and some other guys that are not even better than me. It really sucks and most time I really wish I can tell her that:- ' hey woman come here, your own mate too is Michelle Obama' but I can't cos I know she'll be depressed, but she doesn't give a damn whether am depressed or not, I mean she's a parent and she's suppose to know better.

Wow!! I feel the silent pain in your voice, but seriously you can talk to her, tell her how you feel whenever she compared you with someone............................................................

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Aghagba(f): 11:32am On Jul 01, 2014
how,i wish my mum can read this,am always compared to ma perfect elder sister,she is in uni,i have not entered nd she kips on saying it,y can't u be lyk ur sis,it sucks hearing it.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Missmossy(f): 11:33am On Jul 01, 2014
Every child is different. True! Also what works perfectly for Ada might not work for Chinwecheesy

Its the responsibility of every good parent to chastise and correct his or her ward when necessary. Praise them when they excel and also praise them when they perform below expectations.

In the long run they'd do better,comparism of any sort does more harm than good. It damages their self esteem also.

When things are done in the right manner as regards any kid,it will only get better in future.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by barackodam: 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2014
technophile: I wish my mom can read this. The most annoying thing is that all the children she's comparing me with are not better than me, for example one of them saw my O'level result, marvelled at it wishing he could have something like that, this guy sat for 3 exams and still find it very difficult to bring out five credits in all the 3, yet mom wants me to emulate him and some other guys that are not even better than me. It really sucks and most time I really wish I can tell her that:- ' hey woman come here, your own mate too is Michelle Obama' but I can't cos I know she'll be depressed, but she doesn't give a damn whether am depressed or not, I mean she's a parent and she's suppose to know better.

Mee tooo cry
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2014
shoefreak:
Ok
Thanks. Cheers

Solami, let's fight angry angry tongue
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Trendy4gud(f): 12:33pm On Jul 01, 2014
This is two sided, you cannot feel the pressure to compare unless you're a parent or a caregiver. Some children will just rotten if such challenge is not put to them. But such people will be presented to them in a positive sense as a role model and urge the child not to be a failure in future.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Mordyb: 12:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
tell that to my mum or some nigerian moms always comparing their children to other even when theirs is clearly because of five minutes of charades that those children can do no harm
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Karleb(m): 12:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
We have constructive comparation and destructive comparation.

If only they could sticl to the former, the world could have been a more safer. embarassed angry
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Karleb(m): 12:52pm On Jul 01, 2014
ATSOMEH:

if a child hears dis everyday, he ll conquer mount everest and obama would be his houseboy.

GBAM!!!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Teespice(f): 1:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
obayaya:

Lmao!!!

You dey do like bingo? cheesy

That was how mum called me a goat one day and I asked her "who born this goat?" grin

The look on her face was priceless cheesy

Na wa.

The easiest way to get me really angry is comparing me to someone else. My mum has done it countless times, even my dad of recent, but then wetin concern me. Mine is to live my life according to my own pace.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by obayaya(m): 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2014
Teespice:

Na wa.

The easiest way to get me really angry is comparing me to someone else. My mum has done it countless times, even my dad of recent, but then wetin concern me. Mine is to live my life according to my own pace.

Well, it happens to the best of us.

The best we can do is take the positives from their comments, Shield ourselves from the negatives and move ahead.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by http(m): 3:01pm On Jul 01, 2014
This really cause sibling rivary in my own family... the mummy boys think they are the kings and we are just a nobody and that is what they think of us till today. Anyway that never change my love for them but i noticed they both have the entitlement mentality and this almost destroyed the family as a whole.
Parent please, never make a mistake of having a favorite child, this will hunt the family as a whole... I wish this was never the case if only i could change the hands of time.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 01, 2014
Mabinu. I don't have the strength. Je ka se erepa instead. **taps him** you are hit!!!!

San Miguel:

Solami, let's fight angry angry tongue
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 01, 2014
shoefreak: Mabinu. I don't have the strength. Je ka se erepa instead. **taps him** you are hit!!!!

sad sad
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 01, 2014
http: This really cause sibling rivary in my own family... the mummy boys think they are the kings and we are just a nobody and that is what they think of us till today. Anyway that never change my love for them but i noticed they both have the entitlement mentality and this almost destroyed the family as a whole.
Parent please, never make a mistake of having a favorite child, this will hunt the family as a whole... I wish this was never the case if only i could change the hands of time.
is it polygamy related? The polygamy rivalry is often the worst. And the grownups don't always act accordingly at making the already wierd situation a little less wierd.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 01, 2014
Awwww. Who stole your toy? Is it that big bully with the cute face and chubby cheeks? Let's go beat her.
angry

grin grin

San Miguel:

sad sad
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 01, 2014
shoefreak: Awwww. Who stole your toy? Is it that big bully with the cute face and chubby cheeks? Let's go beat her.
angry

grin grin

hian, who be dat tongue
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by lepasharon(f): 5:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
I have had this done to me my whole life !
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 01, 2014
You tell me, you were the one with the sad face on a thead like this one.
tongue so I asked if someone stole your toy, didn't mean anyone in particular. But it's probably a (f) since you are a woman wrapper after all.

*runs away**

San Miguel:

hian, who be dat tongue

lepasharon: I have had this done to me my whole life !
You need to stick your cute little nose in their faces and tell them they have got nothing on you! They just haters with running mouth.
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 01, 2014
shoefreak: You tell me, you were the one with the sad face on a thead like this one.
tongue so I asked if someone stole your toy, didn't mean anyone in particular. But it's probably a (f) since you are a woman wrapper after all.

*runs away**

Hehehehe

Agbaya ni e.. Oloju dudu tongue
Re: Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
You know you love me die!!

Hehehehe

Oloju funfun. Omode ishe!
San Miguel:

Hehehehe

Agbaya ni e.. Oloju dudu tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Rewards His Wife With A Trip To Kenya For Accepting His Proposal (Photos) / Man Takes Fight To Father’s Grave Over Sharing Of Properties / "Stabbed Me In My Ribs & Fingers Before Swallowing Poison" - Woman Shares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.