Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? (8660 Views)

3d Animators Corner / To All 3d Animators. / Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by PeterrReezer(m): 11:36pm On Jul 13, 2014
OKX: Nice opinions.
mine is, why don't we go for a full production?

we can break it into sections, modeling and texturing, rigging and animating, lighting and rendering/post production.
that way it cuts across different artists areas of strength(s)/interests.
unless we feel we can sustain this and in future hold different challenges targeting the different production arms.

we could even have us form working 2 or 3-man teams to tackle d full project.

in as much as we r offering a token prize, the main aim of d exercise is to encourage artists synergizing their strengths to output quality work.

i also dig the idea of all nairaland votes counting as one vote.

i would also encourage those of us with access to foreign/experienced artists to explore the option of them popping in as additional judges.
it shouldn't be a case of d blind assessing the blind, lol.
. Seconded...and if its this way.....sounds and dialogs should come in...and let the competition begin.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 6:54am On Jul 14, 2014
Kazuna, Goodays, PeterReezer you're welcome. smiley
Anymore artists interested? Show ur support.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Shimish: 8:57am On Jul 14, 2014
cgniyi: Kazuna, Goodays, PeterReezer you're welcome. smiley
Anymore artists interested? Show ur support.
sounds interesting you can count me in
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Tos87(m): 3:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
I av been following this thread ... Count me in.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Yuupeeee....let the games BEGIN....Its A Clash of The BlenderGiants.....May the best Gladiator Blend in......

lol..
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 14, 2014
Other CG guys and gals not using Blender unsheath your swords....THIS IS NAIJA CG WORLD CUP.

OK just being funny....
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by jjk24(m): 4:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
Me 2 o abeg leave ma seat oo
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
Can a Contestant go for two categories - Still Image Renders and Animation at the same time?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
and how many submissions per contestant?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
And to give it the kick of a competition.....THERE SHOULD BE A DEADLINE....somethang to get CG gurus moving, without thinking "oh..its one of those nairaland stuff"
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 4:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
kazuna welcome oooo...

na only you waka come?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
na only me ooo....was expecting some vibrancy here
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Goodays(m): 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
Let the show begin then and let all see how possible the blenders would talk shoulder to shoulder with world accepted 3ds MAX.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
^^^^^

^^^^^

Easy guys... let's slow down a bit.

The show is still in the planning stage.

A thread will be opened for the competition and everyone's invited.

I bet we're all gonna loooove it!
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by okx2: 6:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hi all.
Great spirit here!

My other ID got banned for a post, dunno y.

Anyway, I suppose all interested artists have been following or have read thru d posts so far.

We are up 40k in prize money so far, I suggest we gun for more...but I wouldn't want us to lose steam, or the zeal of the currently interested artists.

Like Prof said, we are in the planning stage.
We wanna do it right, so all suggestions are still welcome at this stage.

I propose we use between now and the weekend to iron out all the details, so we can roll anytime from next week.

Ideas please, people.....

@Roy
where u at man?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 7:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
My opinion: Let it be more of like a team work competition based on different 3D software users, there should be 4 teams, 3Ds Max (team 1), Blender (team 2), Maya (team 3), cinema 4D (team 4)... Each team should have not more than 5 members, 2 will handle modelling, the other 3 will handle texturing, lighting, render and probably post production (except if its an animation)
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Tos87(m): 7:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
I think a topic shud be given on the diff areas for production if we are choosing it. But i wont go for modelling among production area to choose from by a contestants. Personaly, i think it shud be btw stillimage or anime. The context ie abstract, realism, robotics, expressionism etc. shud be of choice but it shud be able to tel a story...ma tot.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by PeterrReezer(m): 8:30pm On Jul 14, 2014
spywareczar: My opinion: Let it be more of like a team work competition based on different 3D software users, there should be 4 teams, 3Ds Max (team 1), Blender (team 2), Maya (team 3), cinema 4D (team 4)... Each team should have not more than 5 members, 2 will handle modelling, the other 3 will handle texturing, lighting, render and probably post production (except if its an animation)
. Haba....how can 2 person model and 3 people rig,texture,animate,light,add vfx(if there is any) and render?...lol..but as I ve said...I support the team grouping idea. Let get a story, sounds and dialogs already recorded...now each team has the liberty of conceptualizing their own style of character that blends with the story. Again they also should have own way of spliting the worrk among themselve. We ll have fixed deadline for all teams to submit...how the winner is decided is decided,I ll leave that to you guys...personally, the money is not my problem...I don't know for my team members to be...I m interested in the unity in production...cheers...people.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Royver(m): 11:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
@okx been extremely busy, though i'm loving the way the thread is growing smiley

As per the group thing...what about others who wanted to showcase their (maybe not well known) own software? Not all of us are into maya, 3d max, blender or cinema4d.

Then again i think the idea of teams might make the competition too complex. I subscribe to the individual competition better. At least form there we'll know our individual potentials and where to go from there.

Personally i would go for a modelling challenge, but whatever majority wants and with time willing, I'll like to participate.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 15, 2014
Tos87: I think a topic shud be given on the diff areas for production if we are choosing it. But i wont go for modelling among production area to choose from by a contestants. Personaly, i think it shud be btw stillimage or anime. The context ie abstract, realism, robotics, expressionism etc. shud be of choice but it shud be able to tel a story...ma tot.
seconded
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 15, 2014
infact i like all of una suggestions .... I pity the Competition chairman or commitee that will have to decide on any of these thoughts.....
All OF THEM SOUNDS GOOD
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by okx2: 10:01am On Jul 15, 2014
Morn guys.

The broad steps involved in the production are:

IDEA CONCEPTUALISATION- story creation and scripting
CHARACTER CONCEPT ART- 2d character and props design/illustration
STORYBOARDING- 2d frame-by-frame illustration of the scripted story
MODELING- creating the character and props in 3d space
TEXTURING- applying custom materials to get the desired look
RIGGING- creating armatures to enable character animation
ANIMATING- moving the characters as determined by the script
LIGHTING/SCENE ASSEMBLY- setting up the scene for final output
RENDERING- capturing the 3d scene in high quality graphic viewable format
POST PRODUCTION- editing and adding sound and any other effects to create final product

Any single one, or combination, or indeed all of the above can form the basis for the challenge depending on what we vote to go for.

so, back to u guys.
Please state clearly ur views on the following...

Do u want a team or an individual challenge?
What sort of challenge r u interested in, modeling, animating, full production etc?
Do we continue trying to raise prize money or roll with what we currently have-40k?

Lets see where we stand on these, then we can take the next step.

Thanks for ur interest, people.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2014
kazuna: infact i like all of una suggestions .... I pity the Competition chairman or commitee that will have to decide on any of these thoughts.....
All OF THEM SOUNDS GOOD
Yeah, I've read all the suggestions and I'm wondering how are we going to do this smiley
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by okx2: 10:16am On Jul 15, 2014
@cg
lol, we roll with what the majority decides or find middle ground.
we cant please everyone.

please, for clarity and simplicity sake, outline ur thots following the format suggested above.

when we have settled that, we can handle issues like story, duration and concept art next.

thanks
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 11:13am On Jul 15, 2014
K, my suggestions *clears throat*

First, should it be a team or individual challenge? - We should allow both. If it's a team of 100,all good.
If you want to go solo,fine, more money for you if you win. grin

Instead of coming up with a particular story, i suggest we go with a theme and let participants develop their story/concept based on the theme
- e.g.
World cup 2014 - develop art based on brazil 2014 world cup or
Niaja 2055 - create your vision of a futuristic Nigerian city or
create fight scene e.t.c just some ideas
I think that should still involve all the steps highlighted.
Also, this way one has the ability to build a work centered around his/her strength(s)( whether it's modelling,lighting, or character animation) while still adhering to the theme.

Next, should it be a still or animation.I would say allow both, but I think an animation would most likely get more votes.
So maybe just animation instead
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 11:55am On Jul 15, 2014
I agree with everyone.

reidkrugger i see you.... tongue grin
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
I think we should kick off with what we have... while the main issue is to decide on how the nature of the competition, if it is and individual or group stuff
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
cgniyi:

Next, should it be a still or animation.I would say allow both, but I think an animation would most likely get more votes.
So maybe just animation instead

hmmm.....
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 15, 2014
I think goin solo might be the best solution....
lets face it, we all reside at different points on this country's map......if we do teams....how will the team members converge? If i reside in Anambra and my Team members are all scattered about in this country, it would be difficult for each person to pull the finance to converge at a particular place?.
And video conferencing is expensive in this country....definitely not an option?
Going TEAM means finding wayz to bridge the distance.

Going Solo might be the best option.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Goodays(m): 2:27pm On Jul 15, 2014
Nice outline Mr. Okx2 but you omitted the CAMERA TARGET AND CLOTH SIMULATION. Although i still don't know the story of execution yet. I will go for
Rigging or any other available slot because am versatile in 3ds max.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Goodays(m): 2:32pm On Jul 15, 2014
kazuna: I think goin solo might be the best solution....
lets face it, we all reside at different points on this country's map......if we do teams....how will the team members converge? If i reside in Anambra and my Team members are all scattered about in this country, it would be difficult for each person to pull the finance to converge at a particular place?.
And video conferencing is expensive in this country....definitely not an option?
Going TEAM means finding wayz to bridge the distance.

Going Solo might be the best option.

I smell a good point there. It will not be easy for contestants who would work as a team.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by reidkrugger(m): 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2014
prof800: I agree with everyone.

reidkrugger i see you.... tongue grin

Yeah, I see U too My Oga.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Weird Pictures / Fujifilm X-T30. MIRRORLESS CAMERA. SOLD / Professional Graphics Designer always at your service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.