Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,306 members, 7,826,210 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? - Art, Graphics & Video (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? (8679 Views)

3d Animators Corner / To All 3d Animators. / Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 11:35am On Jul 18, 2014
MONDAY 21-07-2014 IS THE DAY!

btw, who has seen ladanski?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by PeterrReezer(m): 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=frankben4real]we have just been telling stories since the beginning of this thread yet no point to hold unto...please organizers too many opinion brings confusion.. the competitors don't even need to bring in their opinion it shows that the organizers are confused... let the organizers have a meeting and decide on what should be given for the project and throw to the floor and the work begin..... Seconded. Participants don't really have a choice. They re not suppose to tell what should be given to them. Moreover,this should not be taken as a hard rule. The point is the organizers should decide immediately and stop waiting and scanning through everybodys suggestion...but sincerely if you re going for a challenge , you should not suggest what should be given to you... @all. Are the organizers part of the participants?...if that should be yes...that means if I am one of the organizers,I will possibly suggest a shot that will show my greatest strength...so what say you all?

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
prof800: MONDAY 21-07-2014 IS THE DAY!

btw, who has seen ladanski?
I have seen him.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
@peter
ur point is valid, n is noted.
the only reason I am soliciting varied responses is to carry everyone along, n ensure a healthy turnout of participants.

if d section were naturally active, and we had lots of capable practitioners, we could just design any challenge we deem worthy and state the terms. Sadly, this is not the case.

as we gather steam, subsequent challenges will b 'less talk' and 'more action'.

bear with us, the process is about done.

I doubt if I will have the time to participate, and even if I send submissions I am ineligible for the prize money.
but lets not lose focus, the main aim is to learn not necessarily compete.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
I wont be participating in the next animation challenge because even thow i won Royver's challenge, i cannot brag about it. But it Is a welcome idea but i think i should polish My skills
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Tos87(m): 3:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
I dont get this modeling and anime thing. Why not say still image and anime. Cos u cant just model and post...i want to believe it must pass tru lighting,texture, n compositing. @lad..i dont get it. sad
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 3:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
ladanski: I have seen him.
Yaaaayyy!!!
Welcome man.
The animation challenge is for everyone.
Beginners and the rest.
You're really good so you MUST participate. And follow support with encouragements and criticisms.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
Alright, so far so good.

@ all, just to remind us, the original purpose of the thread wasn't to setup a competition.
We're just making things up as we go along.

As OKX pointed out, the main aim is to learn not necessarily compete.
For me, it's also to stimulate more 3d activity in this section.

So, for the modelling challenge/cg challenge, the format I'm proposing is similar to what already exists on many other 3d sites.

Tos87: I dont get this modeling and anime thing. Why not say still image and anime. Cos u cant just model and post...i want to believe it must pass tru lighting,texture, n compositing. @lad..i dont get it. sad

Of course, texturing , lighting and rendering will be considered part of the challenge.

I'll post details soon.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 10:23am On Jul 19, 2014
Good morning all, I only just found time to compose a proper post.
My posts have been mostly from the office where I work as a graphics designer.
So often times I don't the patience to post in detail.

Again, just so we have a clear vision of what we're trying to achieve here-

OP set up the thread to question the lack of activity from 3d artists on nairaland.
Royver made reference to a previous attempt to spark some activity through a competition.
We decided it would be a good idea to hold another one, only this time providing greater incentives for participation

So, we were able to raise 40k as prize for the winners.

The next task was deciding on the nature of the competition.
My decision was to go with a modelling, or rather, cg art challenge.
I realized saying modelling challenge might be misleading.
My intention was always a cg art competition,complete with modelling, texturing,lighting and rendering.

I also realized some of us are also interested in character animation.
I also noticed,out of passion to create our own animated movies, most of take on the sole responsibility of modelling, texturing , rigging, skinning, animating, lighting,compositing and even add VFX if needed.

It's not like that's strange,there artists that do this well -http://vitorugo.com/
The problem is, for an inexperienced artist doing this, it's the animation part that suffers the most.
A well animated piece done with only stick figures will always look more appealing than a poorly animated one with 3d characters,texturing and GI lighting.

You can now understand why OKX suggested a challenge that focus strictly on character animation. No need to model or rig . You can if you want to, but the effort would mostly be ignored.The focus is majorly on character animation. Again, this isn't new as you'll find similar formats on some other animation sites

Eventually we've arrived at a modelling/animation challenge to include works from both and attempt to judge them equally.
This would be quite difficult.
So I've decided to add 10k, making everything 50k

We then make two separate competitions,a cg art challenge and an animation challenge
That makes 20k for 1st, 10k for 2nd , 5k for 3rd in both challenges.

Will post more soon
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 11:05am On Jul 19, 2014
Nice input cgniyi...
I hope you Royver and OKX have concluded meeting offline. If not, please do so quick.
Discuss offline and finalize the structure.
Cheers..

btw, where is ignatio? Does anyone know where he is?
&
@Feraz I can see you, where art thou?

jidesp, chuksxy, 2buff, xgentlemam, SimonAndal, darksider, 1supremo, damseremie/titilapia, xothermik where are you guys?
...the incredible PhenomenonVFX where are you?

You guys are needed here. pls.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Feraz(m): 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2014
prof800: Nice input cgniyi...
I hope you Royver and OKX have concluded meeting offline. If not, please do so quick.
Discuss offline and finalize the structure.
Cheers..
btw, where is ignatio? Does anyone know where he is?
&
@Feraz I can see you, where art thou?
jidesp, chuksxy, 2buff, xgentlemam, SimonAndal, darksider, 1supremo, damseremie/titilapia, xothermik where are you guys?
...the incredible PhenomenonVFX where are you?
You guys are needed here. pls.
The prof, I hail! Thanks for tagging me but I think I'd rather watch from the sides and learn as I'm not that good with any of the aforementioned things. Thanks again.
Nice work and concepts y'all are doing here.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by velociraptor: 2:29pm On Jul 19, 2014
and i say, let there b a 3d animation national conference. we need to sit n discuss to know who is who. this challenge is gud but d idea of not knowin each other will kill it in no time. i tink d conference will give the room to create more channels to celebrate n network cg artist. i am proposing this, we agree on a date, we raise funds for a venue n we do d conference. an example was a gatherin organized by abinibi last yr. and alot of print media guys were there n it was cool cos i was there.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2014
velociraptor: i am proposing this, we agree on a date, we raise funds for a venue n we do d conference. an example was a gatherin organized by abinibi last yr. and alot of print media guys were there n it was cool cos i was there.
not everyone base in lagos, me and landaski base in kaduna
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Chuksxy: 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2014
O.O Prof....mentioned me...... *Faints*.

On a serious note though, I'll gladly participate when this is finally set up. I haven't done CG in a while and this may be the push I need. So please guys hurry up and Finalize this.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by velociraptor: 2:59pm On Jul 19, 2014
d fate of d industry cannot rest on just 2 people. we will do our best to carry u along. most guys re based in lag.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 3:46pm On Jul 19, 2014
velociraptor: d fate of d industry cannot rest on just 2 people. we will do our best to carry u along. most guys re based in lag.
lol
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2014
Prof, thanks man. Spywareczar, give me your pin so I can be pinging you
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
velociraptor: and i say, let there b a 3d animation national conference. we need to sit n discuss to know who is who. this challenge is gud but d idea of not knowin each other will kill it in no time. i tink d conference will give the room to create more channels to celebrate n network cg artist. i am proposing this, we agree on a date, we raise funds for a venue n we do d conference. an example was a gatherin organized by abinibi last yr. and alot of print media guys were there n it was cool cos i was there.

Most CG guys based in lagos? Sayz who..lol
Kazuna is based in Awka, Anambra

But then we really need to congress somewhere.....
Is lagos more convenient? Kazuna shakes head...
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 5:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
@cg
awesome. Ur da man!

d prize structure u proposed totals 35k per contest. That leaves us 20k short.

perhaps we should start with the modeling challenge first, while we aim to raise the balance, or even exceed it....or do both run concurrently?

u can txt me on 08023289217 since the house seems to favor private consultation among us.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Feraz(m): 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2014
I guess it's not supposed to be in this thread but this is my very first work as a beginner.
3D software - Autodesk Maya

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 5:38pm On Jul 19, 2014
OKX: @cg
awesome. Ur da man!

d prize structure u proposed totals 35k per contest. That leaves us 20k short.

perhaps we should start with the modeling challenge first, while we aim to raise the balance, or even exceed it....or do both run concurrently?

u can txt me on 08023289217 since the house seems to favor private consultation among us.

Wow, I feel very stupid right now. My maths was completely off, lol.
That wasn't deliberate.
Ok, I could eventually raise the remaining 20k, but wetin, NA ONLY ME WAKA COME?
Please, donations from the house!

Was already planning another wall of text for the details of the competition. Will text u
Here's my number - 08078057592
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
Feraz: I guess it's not supposed to be in this thread but this is my very first work as a beginner.
3D software - Autodesk Maya
feraz, you're doing well. cool keep up the spirit!
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
Shimish:
thanks pal. anyway, as regards to his suggestion, its not a bad idea. however, the thing is that most 3d artists I know r deeply engrossed in on project or another. either passion projects or jobs. as a result, its sometimes a bit difficult to make out time for some competitions. or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. I've been very busy with a passion project of mine, which has been suffering lately as a result of balancing it with work and freelance jobs.
anyway, thought I should just upload this short clip from a test render of a scene In my film. please tell me what u think.
[url][/url][url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTL2j7DnyE
nice works! I don't really know much on 3d, but my question is, if you can make these 3ds why can't you make animation like those of Disney's?
Secondly, as a novice like me what is the best way to kick start learning of 3d graphics and graphics in general and develop it to high levels?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
ladanski: Prof, thanks man. Spywareczar, give me your pin so I can be pinging you
yessir, 2A38602B
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Shimish: 10:02pm On Jul 19, 2014
centje: nice works! I don't really know much on 3d, but my question is, if you can make these 3ds why can't you make animation like those of Disney's?
Secondly, as a novice like me what is the best way to kick start learning of 3d graphics and graphics in general and develop it to high levels?
thanks for the complement.
well regarding the Disney thing, I stopped trying to being like them but instead tried to be the best I can. discovered that most of these big studios use custom made softwares which give them certain effects and looks. also one person cannot achieve what a it takes a whole team to achieve in years. also there is an issue of hardware. I recently watched a behind the scenes clip from DreamWorks how to train your dragon 2, where they said it would have taken them about 90 million hrs to render the movie, so Intel had to build a custom made computer and software to handle the work.
regarding learning, I would suggest picking a software that u r comfortable with and be consistent with it. watch lots of video tutorials on YouTube, and most importantly, keep experimenting. with animation, trial and error is your friend, so be patient.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Shimish: 10:12pm On Jul 19, 2014
some years ago, blender forum hosted an animation competition in which they distributed a character model for download. participants were to rig the character and have the character perform a run and jump across a chasm, and a land. seemed straight forward right, but u have no idea the kind of creativity and humor people put into such a simple action.
my point is, you could consider something like that for a start, but then its just a suggestion from my part. its all up to you
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 11:41pm On Jul 19, 2014
The modeling challenge has been decided
It's going to involve creating a 3d art based off a character design by a friend.
In case some might be wondering I'm forgoing the chance to win the prize.
So no concerns that I'm providing art that I may have worked on before.

Having said that, I'll be participating. It's actually a work I've always wanted to create in 3d but I've never felt confident enough to tackle.
I think it would be challenging,though some of you might even find it very easy.

Also, it's decided the modelling challenge comes first, followed be the animation challenge.
So you have the opportunity of entering both if you're interested.

Post details soon.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2014
Just posted details on the modelling challenge.

https://www.nairaland.com/1821291/3d-modelling-challenge-lava-man

Feel free to post any questions you may have.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 20, 2014
Nice. Maybe I'll do the modelling challenge too
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 6:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
Looking forward to see everyone's input. grin
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
Shimish:
thanks for the complement.
well regarding the Disney thing, I stopped trying to being like them but instead tried to be the best I can. discovered that most of these big studios use custom made softwares which give them certain effects and looks. also one person cannot achieve what a it takes a whole team to achieve in years. also there is an issue of hardware. I recently watched a behind the scenes clip from DreamWorks how to train your dragon 2, where they said it would have taken them about 90 million hrs to render the movie, so Intel had to build a custom made computer and software to handle the work.
regarding learning, I would suggest picking a software that u r comfortable with and be consistent with it. watch lots of video tutorials on YouTube, and most importantly, keep experimenting. with animation, trial and error is your friend, so be patient.
thanks a lot. I get your point. we hope to see nigeria made animations, in no distant time.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by jidesp(m): 8:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
Feraz: The prof, I hail! Thanks for tagging me but I think I'd rather watch from the sides and learn as I'm not that good with any of the aforementioned things. Thanks again.
Nice work and concepts y'all are doing here.

Thanks for mentioning me..I haven't done any project with 2d or 3d software in a long time. Basically presentations and so on which I can't share on here..Anyways, I'm currently working with a guy who paint with biro inks.Below are his works His name is Yelloseesee Ujoama

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Weird Pictures / Fujifilm X-T30. MIRRORLESS CAMERA. SOLD / Professional Graphics Designer always at your service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.