Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? (8683 Views)

3d Animators Corner / To All 3d Animators. / Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by okx2: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
@cg
good thots.
its time to be decisive though and nail the final structure.

as i outlined in the broad categories above, each section has the potential to be a standalone challenge. So we need to CLEARLY and SPECIFICALLY state which we r doing, or if all of them (as in full production)

we could break the challenge into two parts, the first being modeling and texturing, and the second being rigging and animating and rendering.
the prize could be split among both sections, that way, pure modelers still have a stake as well as animators.
indeed, different artists may win both sections.
wot think the house?

on the issue of theme, I think a common storyline and characters should be employed to aid uniformity in judging.

all participants model to an agreed upon character concept art.
we may allow the making of the image planes to be up to individual artists, as part of the challenge.

artists post screenshots of their WorksInProgress (wip) as proof.
the final renders AND a 360° turntable view of the finished model concludes the submission for the modeling portion of the contest.

again, wot think y'all?

the winning model can then be circulated among artists interested in the next phase of the contest, for the rigging and animation challenge.

I suggest the same model being circulated to the animators, for uniformity and simplicity in assessing purely the animation. It remains the copyrighted property of the owner.

the animation is done to an agreed upon plot, but the story direction is subject to the artists interpretation.
the judgment will be based on directing choices, cinematography and of course quality of the animation.

these are suggestions. Wot say we?
we need to FIRMLY state our individual views so we can draw an average opinion and end d planning stage.

@reid
all this 'seeing me, seeing u'....is it an eye-test? lol.
share ur thots bro.

@kazuna
true, teaming involves challenges but not insurmountable ones.
a phone call and file transfers remove the need for physical meetings.
I believe we have all worked outstation at some stage or the other.

However, having said that, I do favor the individual challenge, especially if we break the competition into phases, so I am with u on that.
wot think the rest of us?

@prof
lol, agreeing wit everyone is hardly an opinion, especially from a whole Prof....wink*

responses ppl.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 7:09am On Jul 16, 2014
I think it breaks the flow of the competition to have a modeling challenge first,select a winner, and then share the model among animators.

it's best participants handle the entire workflow themselves.

However, we should still allow the choice of collaboration.So a modeller may choose to pass on his work to an animator,(here on nairalland or elsewhere) complete the project.

The individual or team with the best work gets the prize.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by reidkrugger(m): 1:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ooooooooh kaaaaay. Nice contributions but i think we are kind of loosing d objective here. First of, who is the competition for, Why the competition and what type of competition are we talking about with focus on who? Wether individually or a group, it dont really matter cuz if you are good you are good. For Me, anybody should be allowed to compete, acuz i see it as a way of improving one's skills. And we should all have same story line emanating from here.

The Idea of making front page and Nairalanders as the Audience is Awesome. And i think we should kick-start it on Monday next week.

Cheers.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Tos87(m): 9:57am On Jul 17, 2014
when are we starting? cheesy cheesy cheesy...pls the organizers should plan well and quick. wink
i also think we should give out 3 titles to choose from,....either anime or still. then the contestants can pick one from the three given.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by PeterrReezer(m): 10:08am On Jul 17, 2014
@all.....let's stop dragging it. Some of us might loss interest....who re the jugdes or is it by vote. Let's decide and flip to the next page.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 11:47am On Jul 17, 2014
The current challenge seems to be deciding on the nature of the contest.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 2:34pm On Jul 17, 2014
Lol, I guess this is why democracy is fraught with challenges.

@roy/cg/spy
this is largely ur initiative so lets talk maybe privately and end this stage.

if we all keep contributing we will never kick off.
my final suggestion is...

we post a still image for those interested in modeling to replicate.
we post a storyline (including maximum duration) for those interested in animating, to create.
we set a deadline and kick off.

teamwork or individual work is allowed, just state clearly which and who ur team members are.

pending selection of the judges, nairaland votes will count. But voters must have been registered for at least a month.
additional judges will be added, I'm contacting a few chaps I know. I suggest we all do.

if the above suggestions fly, we can move on to the selecting the image(s), and storyline(s) to work to.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 4:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
K then, final decisions before ppl start losing interest.

Let's go for the modelling and animation challenge.

Participants are free to enter just one or both challenge(s)

20k for modelling challenge , 20k for animation challenge - not much, but will do for now.

Individual or teamwork allowed.

Nairalanders with at least a month old account will vote for best works.

For the modelling I still feel a theme should be provided, while participants create their work based on that theme.
As a suggestion, "Environment modelling: My hood" - model a scene of choice from your area.
You post an image first to let everyone see what you are creating
e.g.

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Safari29: 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
Helloooo u guys are fascinating. sorry to take ur time pls I have interest in animation and modelling. I watch cartoons alot but I don't know where to start from. Am a graduate I have a good laptop and am less busy for now. Any ideas where I can start from will be appreciated. my dream is to become a movie producer or cartoon creator. on my laptop I have Adobe cs3 photoshop installed
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 4:38pm On Jul 17, 2014
Safari29: Helloooo u guys are fascinating. sorry to take ur time pls I have interest in animation and modelling. I watch cartoons alot but I don't know where to start from. Am a graduate I have a good laptop and am less busy for now. Any ideas where I can start from will be appreciated. my dream is to become a movie producer or cartoon creator. on my laptop I have Adobe cs3 photoshop installed

Bros, y u just hijack this thread anyhow smiley

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
Oya make una doo oo.. am interested in animation...when is the story line comin up.....

If I MAY SUGGEST ONE......

Lets do a story based on African mythology....
But the xters could be modern day peeps.
>>>
Perhaps a story about a gal who discovers she has an OTHER by chance... but this OTHER lives in the ephemeral spheres, that is the spirit world....
This OTHER now wants to interchange worlds....She wants to inhabit the gal's body and drive her being to its spirit world......
The question is will the gal allow this Parasitic Obanje 'takeover' or will she fight it with all her wills....
Lots of magic and simulation involved....hehehehe. pity the modellers.

WATCH OUT FOR PART TWO.....LOL
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2014
let it not sound as if i am rushing thangz.....JUST DONT WANT TO LOOSE INTEREST....
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
cgniyi: K then, final decisions before ppl start losing interest.

Let's go for the modelling and animation challenge.

Participants are free to enter just one or both challenge(s)

20k for modelling challenge , 20k for animation challenge - not much, but will do for now.

Individual or teamwork allowed.

Nairalanders with at least a month old account will vote for best works.

For the modelling I still feel a theme should be provided, while participants create their work based on that theme.
As a suggestion, "Environment modelling: My hood" - model a scene of choice from your area.
You post an image first to let everyone see what you are creating
e.g.

Dammm....thats the kinda environ i like to pull any story around...
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 6:02pm On Jul 17, 2014
Nice one cgniyi & OKX. Really nice.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Safari29: 6:33pm On Jul 17, 2014
cgniyi:

Bros, y u just hijack this thread anyhow smiley

pls where do I start from??
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 6:44pm On Jul 17, 2014
@cg
adopted!
the only amendment is on the theme thing.
it will be tuff assessing different models from different references.

I like the image u posted, woulda been perfect with a few organic characters and a wider angle for better perpesctive.

can u dig up such a shot/shots?
even if we are following a theme, let a neutral board decide on say, 3 different images for the artists to choose from. That way we have a level playing field.

artists may just upload their personal projects which they have cry been working on for a while, if we leave the choice to them.
delivering under time constraint is part of d training.

on the story, nothing too complex.
just a simple sequence of actions, emphasis is on animating ability.
anyone can move characters, but it takes effort to make ur characters ACT and portray THOUGHT and EMOTION.
Dats d aim.

we are aiming for perfection, so a simple plot is required.

something like, a guy finishes a meal, signals for his bill, pays, gets up and leaves, crosses the street, realizes he forgot his briefcase, dashes back across the road narrowly missing a car/bike, grabs his briefcase, adjusts his clothes and leaves.

it doesn't have to be this exact storyline, but something similar that offers lots of acting opportunities.
emphasis on correct body mechanics and emotions.

we can come up with say, 2 or 3 different storylines for artists to choose from as well. Maybe one involving bipeds, another quadrupeds and a third robots or other stylized characters.

I had been thinking of a single challenge tho, with two options of tasks ie.modeling or animation but this option flies as well.

woulda been nice to be able to break the token among the best three entries, say, 20, 15, 5 but the dual challenge of 20, 20 ain't bad. Wot think y"all?

once we settle this, its on to images and storylines.

responses pls.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by reidkrugger(m): 6:55pm On Jul 17, 2014
Are the animators using downloaded models?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 7:39pm On Jul 17, 2014
@reid
in my opinion, downloaded models can be used for the animation.

for uniformity tho, we will seek to use the same model(s)

wot say y'all?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Goodays(m): 7:44pm On Jul 17, 2014
Every character model used here must be built by one self and the modeler must be able to give brief/synopsis of his/her project(that is 'model').
The proposed storyline by "OKX" is perfect but we really need to model : the street, car(s), restaurant building, male model, female model and all needed objects for the restaurant.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Goodays(m): 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2014
Safari29:

pls where do I start from??
PLEASE THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR THIS.
If you really need to start, you would start by asking your self why am I going for this discipline, what software to use, how are they used and what are they used for. We have 3d softwares like MAYA, BLENBDER, 3ds MAX and many more.
Pls google your question and stop diving into this thread.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 7:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
@OKX
Still interested in knowing what you have in mind for the single challenge.
I would still prefer a concept that's consistent with both the modeling and animation challenge.

The environment thing is just an idea. The building is just one of many shots I take for ref. Will definitely consider taking wider angles next time

I agree with sharing the token among the top 3 instead.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 8:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
kazuna: Oya make una doo oo.. am interested in animation...when is the story line comin up.....

If I MAY SUGGEST ONE......

Lets do a story based on African mythology....
But the xters could be modern day peeps.
>>>
Perhaps a story about a gal who discovers she has an OTHER by chance... but this OTHER lives in the ephemeral spheres, that is the spirit world....
This OTHER now wants to interchange worlds....She wants to inhabit the gal's body and drive her being to its spirit world......
The question is will the gal allow this Parasitic Obanje 'takeover' or will she fight it with all her wills....
Lots of magic and simulation involved....hehehehe. pity the modellers.

WATCH OUT FOR PART TWO.....LOL

Goodays: Every character model used here must be built by one self and the modeler must be able to give brief/synopsis of his/her project(that is 'model').
The proposed storyline by "OKX" is perfect but we really need to model : the street, car(s), restaurant building, male model, female model and all needed objects for the restaurant.

kazuna, Goodays smiley
I think we should keep this competition light for now.Let's just have fun with this for now. I'm sure most of us here have other personal projects we're working on.We don't want something taking too much of our time
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
so what next?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
Nice...
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 17, 2014
a guy cross the road...forgets bag...tatataa...
who are the modellers.......They should begin modelling and send it over for rigging
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Goodays(m): 9:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
I agree with u CGNIYI, so, what is next on the list
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 9:20pm On Jul 17, 2014
Would just like to know OKX's idea for the single challenge - something that ties the modeling and animation challenge together.

For the animation challenge, OKX has given a few options to choose from.All we'll be judging will be the performance of the characters.
So the options seem simple enough, but I think we can still have some interesting results.

I think everything will be settled by weekend, so we can all start next week
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
we have just been telling stories since the beginning of this thread yet no point to hold unto...please organizers too many opinion brings confusion.. the competitors don't even need to bring in their opinion it shows that the organizers are confused... let the organizers have a meeting and decide on what should be given for the project and throw to the floor and the work begin......and I think this should be a very short story line just the suggestion of restaurant stuff....but going back to the road and coming back makes the work tedious cause you still have to model the streets and whatever... I think it can be modified in this way...a guy walks into a restaurant, after eating finds out he had no money with him which caused him embarrassment from the steward still in the same environment... which will now lead to fight and scattering of thing thereby causing people Who are already in the restaurant to run away
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 11:28pm On Jul 17, 2014
Still waiting for y'all to finalise
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by kensteve01(m): 11:52pm On Jul 17, 2014
Shimish: Hi everyone. Just to add a comment, I would like to say that 3d artists are still alive and kicking. I've met quite a number of them here on Nairaland. I'm also one, and ive been one for quite some time. Here are a few samples, since some have been asking. What do u think? I use blender3d they r from a film I'm currently working on

Wow I really love this can you teach me ?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 11:56pm On Jul 17, 2014
@frank
I appreciate your passion and the points u raised.
we are entertaining input from all interested aspiring participants, so that we end up with an exercise that majority CAN be part of.

I do believe we have made some progress.
we can tidy it up in a day or two and kick off by Monday.
it also gives artists time to adjust their schedules and make room for this particular challenge.

please hang in there and don't lose interest.

the animation challenge emphasizes on animation NOT d quality of the models.(although appeal of the model(s) affects one's perception of any animation)

one can use primitives to stand in for the houses and cars in the street. U need only use detailed models for things the main character interacts with.

downloaded models are acceptable for the ANIMATION challenge. Anyone who wishes to go nuts modeling can sign up for the MODELING challenge.

any alternate story ideas?
pls, any submissions of interesting scenes to model is welcome.
outdoor scenes capturing life.
a scene from the world cup matches.
a sci-fi scene.

lets submit pics and select 3 options.

@cg
to avoid back n forthing, lets just roll with the structure as is.
a modeling and an animation challenge.
individual or team participation.
at least three posts of work-in-progress screenshots (for the modelers)

@kazuna
when we clinche the final storyline(s), we will know the required models.
there are tons of free models online available for download, that I'm sure will suit wotever storyline we end up with.

long post, lol
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Safari29: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2014
Goodays:
PLEASE THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR THIS.
If you really need to start, you would start by asking your self why am I going for this discipline, what software to use, how are they used and what are they used for. We have 3d softwares like MAYA, BLENBDER, 3ds MAX and many more.
Pls google your question and stop diving into this thread.
thank you will enquiry about them smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Weird Pictures / Fujifilm X-T30. MIRRORLESS CAMERA. SOLD / Professional Graphics Designer always at your service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.