Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court (58442 Views)

Can I Become A Lecturer With A 2.2 In First Degree With My MSC / First Degree And Masters Opportunity In The Usa- No Sat I, Sat Ii, Toefl Or Gre / Is Futy"s 2008/2009 Admission List into first degree programs out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Ninapha(f): 8:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
michaeltotti: In labour market,d sch determine.u cnt just say uniosun cert shud beat oau,unilag cert.they wl first employ d unilag b4 uniosun.provided it same grade

basing my arguement on the fact that Umilag , UNN are etc. are cut-off marks are higher than some Fed. Unis.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Dremichaels(m): 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
searay: Polytechnic is only a GLORIFIED secondary school.

u must be high on something... ur statement shows dat u just finished from secondary
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by eluquenson(m): 8:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
Equality should start from admission process, polytechnic accept 4credit subjects while university accept 5credit subjects, you can gain admission into polytechnic with low jamb score. All but few of these disparity has to be erased, this issue has gone beyond first degree issue.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Adeoba10(m): 8:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
Badmushazan: .no wonder a computer science graduate of ABU zaria asking me if bank security door allow customer holding a pen to enter or not ?..... Ewa wo Aiye university graduate ni ode
Stop giving such example, dnt temme dat u went to polythenic jux 2 bcm bank security, abi for wich syd ABU graduate mt u dey ask questn?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by obayaya(m): 8:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
donstein: never can it be said clearer! I went through the polytechnic and remember a course we did in our 300levels "engineer in society" it clearly spell out the role of a technologist n and engineer, as an engineer ie a uni-grad. Its role is to carry out research and d polylite is to put life into the researched work of d uni-grad simply put, so please whats the tussel all about? see it that those engaging is such shouting need to go back to school for proper learning! Gbam!!!

Engineer in society!!!

I did that course in my100 level at the University

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by ceeceeco: 9:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
Universities are rated higher than polytechnics though, but i tink d polytechnic students are practically sound. I remember back in 2010, wen my uncle who's a lecturer @ IMT & ESUT gave me some exam scripts 2 mark, that was statistics, the IMT students performed beta than the ESUT students. The ESUT students found it very difficult 2 solve Chi-Square/correlation Analysis/Regression Analysis...#§mh#
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by profjendor(m): 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
Intelligent and brillant people can always be found in either a poly or Uni.....buh one ting I find hard to swallow is the poly graduates talking abt practical, we all knw dat no machines or engines in those poly so who is fooling who.....i'm sayin this because I actually graduated from unilorin and my campus is within same environment wit kwara poly institute of technology dat houses all their engineering courses and I neva saw a functional machines\ machines in their compound, so am wondering wot practicals all of them are screaming......we are only bin spoonfed theory in naija higher institutions...let no one come here and talk abt practicals cos dats just a non existent argument. Gracias.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by obayaya(m): 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
numericalguy:

Word!

@ bolded: to be managed by a B.Sc. holder who earns like five times what HNDs earn and with prospects of making it to top management.

B.Sc holders are always in the supervisory and designed roles. And true they make it faster to top management.

But HND holders also make it up the ladder. They have their own routes.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by kuzee(m): 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
Evestar200: Petroleum Training Institute in Effurun Delta state.
proud to be a PTI student.
men that school na dead
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Idyvalour(m): 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
Evestar200: dont knw, bt all i knw is that majority of Nigeria poly are far better than Nigeria uni.
wish I cud view those "liking" dis sh#t undecided
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by electropiz(m): 9:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
Weselion: School is School whether profs or no profs. After all, polytechnic students stay longer in school.
lame point here
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by kuzee(m): 9:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
Evestar200: the sch is different 4rm many nigeria higher institution, companies always assure their I.T Students employment after their HND, some companies employ them with OND result.
i wonder if you were or you are a PTI student.
if not kindly pm mi.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by omega2128(m): 9:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
olaezebala: Me no get time to argue. Try enter ib, make only u waka go sango come ask even agbero is poly ib student and ui student be same.

Make I stop joke.
I have both HND-Ede and B.Sc-UI (computer science) for real, the two aint same and can never be the same.
I am tired of reading "we do more practicals" as the main defence by mates from the poly. That's what we were set out for but did we do those practicals for real? Was in HND2 wen I started my degree in Ui (200L) and I must say, "igimu jina sori". In UI, I defended @ least a mini project every semester not to talk of writing practical exams(Come in with ur system and u'll be given apps to develop) where as in my poly, I defended project twice (one for ND and the other for HND).
Pls, my poly brothers and sisters, stop living in the self delusional praise of "we do more practicals", things are changing very fast" chemistry students are in the lab over night in UNIs doing practicals steady, my biochem roommate then slept in lab more than his room, my physics pals hardly remember the way to their halls, csc majors code like no man's business, maths and stat major ready for anything, tech and engineering guys are not smiling either, my social science dudes are ever ready to take u up on any topic.

All I did in ND, HND was covered in 2 years(200 and 300 level). For goodness sake I wasn't taught by DRs or Prof in poly, my lecturers were all MR (HND/BSc/Msc). These set of lecturers (without phd) wrote the textbooks we used and if u write anything outside those texts, "ur own don done". U can't compare that with a uni where lecturers write like 3 diff textbooks for a course and still advice u to read more.

I brought our way of reading to uni and my first year wasn't funny. I kept on having "grin"s and "E"s in courses just as my mode of entry (DE). Tot I was that poor until my peeps in OAU shared similar experience.

HND and B.Sc will from yesterday, today and years to come be equivalent but never will they be equal.

I'm a product of Ede too, in what level do you want to compare ede with ui- year of establishment, facility, funding etc. Its like comparing helicopter with bugatti.
Thats why we are shouting equality- same funding, facility, etc
Lowest of poly student is not different from highest of university student if were given chance.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by sanandreas(m): 9:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
Dremichaels:

for in stance from d poly I finished from, engineers (either practising or av practiced at a time during his career) teach hnd student unlike university wia Drs and profs that can,t even differentiate btw diode and thyristor when they see ones

Transistor rather.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by guiddoti: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
ITbomb: Forgive my ignorance but do we have Professors in Polytechnics?
emm... No jambito can answer dis one.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Azwealth(m): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Jamb cutoff mark can never be used to judge but employer of labour should engage both degree holder in a battle of intellect.

At least, we have people that used expo to score 260 in jamb and entered University with runse.
And some brilliant student with 240 in jamb settled for Polytechnic because they don't have money for University runse i.e they got admitted to poly easily.

#Enough said.

To me, degree doesn't really matter if you have connection. Three of my cousin that studied in YABATECH are working in a big company while some University graduate are busy roaming the street.
God bless u 4 dis, i score 273 and still ended up in poly...uniben did not admit me coz i am not from their catchment area...AAUA yanked off mai name 4 anoda after i had confirmed my admission....
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by electropiz(m): 9:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
obayaya:

Engineer in society!!!

I did that course in my100 level at the University
it depends i did @ 200l
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Joejonah(m): 9:14pm On Jul 06, 2014
Microtee: Thanks bro.If what i wrote should b termed abbreviations,what 'll we term the likes of OAU,SSS and WASSCE?

# acronyms
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
Acidosis:

HND is 3years,

So how do you apply for HND without the foundation (2yrs OND) and 1year I.T?

Animal Science is 6years in U.I?

We are not talking about those who apply via Interim/Pre-degree.

Limit the false hood. Animal Science is a 3-5year course - all over the world.

Your ignorance is stunning.

First and foremost, HND lasts for two years and not three.

Secondly, Animal science was recently changed to a 6 year course in uniben.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by obinoral1179(m): 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
arokombah: Honestly,uni is nt d same as poly.Nt becos I'm a uni graduate but I sincerely took time to go through both institutions' curricula & discovered dat those of d uni are far higher than d poly.Infact,some my d courses we had in my 2nd yr as introductory are taken in HND 2.Truly,they're
yes, i concur with that.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by leppyj(m): 9:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
omega2128: On the Parity of Esteem Between
Polytechnics and Universities
By Farooq A. Kperogi
If you are a university graduate who has been
socialized to disdain polytechnics as inferior
higher education institutions, think about this:
Albert Einstein, the world’s most renowned
physicist and one of the most influential thinkers
of all time, graduated from the Zurich Polytechnic (now called the Swiss Federal Institute of
Technology Zurich) in 1900 with a diploma in
mathematics and physics. Unlike in Nigeria, his diploma wasn’t a handicap
to his pursuit of advanced degrees. He studied
for and earned his Ph.D. in experimental physics
from the University of Zurich, five years after his
diploma. If a polytechnic produced one of the world’s
greatest thinkers, why are polytechnics so low
on the totem pole of post-secondary education in
Nigeria? Why do we reserve ice-cold derision for
polytechnic qualifications? Well, the answer lies in the different philosophies
that informed the establishment of polytechnics
in different countries. In the United States, as I
pointed out last week, “polytechnic universities”
and “institutes of technology” are, and have
always been, similar in rank and structure to conventional universities. So they don’t have the
reputational baggage that our polytechnics have. But the UK tradition of polytechnic education,
which we inherited in Nigeria, intended for
polytechnics to be no more than intermediate
technical and vocational schools to train
technologists and lowbrow, middle-level
manpower. So their mandate limited them to offer sub-degree courses in engineering and
applied sciences. In time, however, they ventured into the
humanities and the social sciences and then
sought to be equated with universities. This
request was grudgingly granted only after the
British government set up the Council for
National Academic Awards (CNAA)—composed wholly of people from the universities—to
examine and validate the quality of polytechnic
qualifications. However, in spite of this elaborate institutional
quality control (which had no equivalent for
universities) the higher national diploma (HND)
was treated as only the equivalent of a
bachelor’s degree “without honors.” In university administration lingo, only a “pass”
degree—the lowest possible rank in British
degree classification— is considered a degree
“without honors.” This means that first-class,
upper-second-class, lower-second-class and
third-class degrees have “honors” and that the HND is only equivalent to a “pass” degree. That’s why, traditionally, British universities did
not— and still do not— admit HND graduates to
master’s degree programs (even if they had a
distinction in their diploma) without first
requiring them to undergo a one-year remedial
postgraduate diploma program— just like people with “pass” degrees must undergo a remedial
program before being admitted to master’s
degree programs. This invidious discrimination against polytechnic
graduates and manifestly preferential treatment
of university graduates, often called the “Binary
Divide” in UK higher education parlance,
predictably gave rise to pervasive feelings of
deep and bitter anger and ill-will in the system. So in 1992, under the Further and Higher
Education Act, the “binary divide” was abolished
and all the 35 polytechnics in the UK were
elevated to universities and given powers to
award bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. degrees.
There are no more polytechnics in the UK. Most other countries with British-style binary
divides also eliminated the distinction between
polytechnics and universities to varying degrees.
In Australia, polytechnics were elevated to
“universities of technology” in the 1990s. Hong
Kong, a former British colony like Nigeria, upgraded its two polytechnics—The Hong Kong
Polytechnic and the City Polytechnic of Hong
Kong — to universities in 1994 and 1995
respectively. New Zealand also merged all its polytechnics
with existing universities and allowed only one
— Auckland University of Technology (formerly
the Auckland Institute of Technology)—to
transmute to a full-fledged university in the
1990s. Greece abolished its polytechnics and upgraded them to universities in 2001. In South
Africa, from 2004, polytechnics were either
merged with universities or upgraded to
“universities of technologies” although with
limited rights and privileges. In Germany, polytechnics can now, in addition to
diplomas, award bachelor’s and master’s degrees
in technical and vocational subjects (and in some
humanities and social science courses such as
communication studies, business and
management, etc) but cannot award PhDs. In Sierra Leone, where polytechnic education
began only in 2001, the country’s three
polytechnics award bachelor’s degrees in a
limited number of courses, in addition to
awarding diplomas and certificates. Even Kenya
has started upgrading its polytechnics to universities from this year. What the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Germany,
Hong Kong, Greece, etc achieved in the 1990s
and 2000s — that is, the abolition of the often
unfair parity esteem between polytechnic and
university qualifications—had been achieved in
Albert Einstein’s polytechnic in 1909, five years after he got his diploma there. It was, like most
other polytechnics in Switzerland, elevated to a
full-fledged university, although it is still fondly
called “Poly” by its students, staff, and alumni. Now, only a shrinking pool of countries retains
the binary divide between polytechnics and
universities, viz. Nigeria, Singapore, India,
Pakistan, Ghana, and Malaysia. We have no
business being in this lonely company. So this is my recommendation: The HND should
be abolished. However, the OND should be
retained to supply the nation’s middle-level
manpower needs and to serve as a foundational
qualification for entry into bachelor’s degree
programs. Smaller polytechnics should be merged with contiguous universities and be given the
power to award OND and bachelor’s degrees.
Big, resource-rich polytechnics like Yaba Tech
and Kaduna Polytechnic should be intellectually
upgraded and then converted to full-fledged
universities. Having taught mass communication on a part-
time basis at the Kaduna Polytechnic 10 years
ago, I frankly think that the distinction between
polytechnic and university curricula, at least in
the humanities and the social sciences, is like the
distinction between six and half a dozen. In other words, it’s a distinction without a
difference. It’s time to bridge our own binary divide.

Very informative.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
arokombah: Honestly,uni is nt d same as poly.Nt becos I'm a uni graduate but I sincerely took time to go through both institutions' curricula & discovered dat those of d uni are far higher than d poly.Infact,some my d courses we had in my 2nd yr as introductory are taken in HND 2.Truly,they're
sorry, I wanna of the least persons who give a damn about all this ish. channel your advice to those who will have a heart attack because of this, not me.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by obayaya(m): 9:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
electropiz: it depends i did @ 200l

Cool!!!

I think most engineering schools do that course. The difference between an Engineer, a technologist and a technician is established clearly in that course.

That's why up till today, Aregbesola is always getting a knock for claiming to be an engineer

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by ELOGBO: 9:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
wait oooooooo did there force any of u into Poly? Open ur eyes n see n stop disturbing urselfxx.
God Bless you as u do
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by michaeltotti(m): 9:19pm On Jul 06, 2014
Unn and other uni accept 180 last yr nd dz yr.xo what are u trying to brng out?
Ninapha:

basing my arguement on the fact that Umilag , UNN are etc. are cut-off marks are higher than some Fed. Unis.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
johnwizey: Wa gbayii.......imagine, those universities student feel they are more qualified than us, but no, they ain't anywhere near us. We are better off academically, its just the way the FG treats the polythecnics that made the gap so obvious. A 300L student can't even define Kirchoff's law talkless of solving the equations.
Make them bridge the gap o cos we no go gree
your grammatical blunder alone shows that you not even qualified to be a Jambite
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by guiddoti: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
Weselion: Is 150 an abysmal low mark? Remember that uni's are now 180. Universities students spend 4 years in school, polytechnic students spend more than that with serious emphasis on praticals. Some Unilag students come to my school for assistance in projects and assignments
bros, Which practical? When poly are calling for funding too. We should stop fooling ourselves.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by emmygod: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
Believe it or not, university and polythecnic are incompareable.most of thier lecturers are of low standard and HND holders. They should as well sue for law and medcine courses to start in polythecnic
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by michaeltotti(m): 9:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
Sorry bro.bt y are u aspiring 4 uni when u knw they r equal?
Azwealth:
God bless u 4 dis, i score 273 and still ended up in poly...uniben did not admit me coz i am not from their catchment area...AAUA yanked off mai name 4 anoda after i had confirmed my admission....

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by abinibility(m): 9:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
try google am niqqa
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Xyge(m): 9:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
ITbomb: Forgive my ignorance but do we have Professors in Polytechnics?
hmmmm.. Never thought about this..
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Acidosis:

2years OND
1year I.T
2years HND
fixed!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Veronica Ezeh-Chioma, UNIZIK Student, Dies Of Gas Explosion (pics) / The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It. / Two FUTO Students Found Dead In Their Lodge Today (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.