Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court (58445 Views)

Can I Become A Lecturer With A 2.2 In First Degree With My MSC / First Degree And Masters Opportunity In The Usa- No Sat I, Sat Ii, Toefl Or Gre / Is Futy"s 2008/2009 Admission List into first degree programs out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by adsonstone: 6:02pm On Jul 06, 2014
Evestar200: true, Auchi poly was ranked 2nd best institution in Nigeria last year and if am not mistaken it was d 12 best institution in Africa and also the best poly in Africa follow by Namibia poly. And if u are talking abt ranking, unilag is no where near top cuz schools like OAU, uniben, Auchi, Unilorin, UNN, UI,AAU are ranked above unilag

You were not informed too?

www.4icu.org/ng/

That's the official world-wide universities' ranking.
Educate yourself.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by DonaldGenes(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
Weselion: Is 150 an abysmal low mark? Remember that uni's are now 180. Universities students spend 4 years in school, polytechnic students spend more than that with serious emphasis on praticals. Some Unilag students come to my school for assistance in projects and assignments

Don't generalised it bruh Maybe the guy is a stark Illiterate of some sort
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Acidosis(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
Elantracey:
stay longer??

how pls? pardon my ignorance

2years OND
1year I.T
3years HND

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by retepmurt(m): 6:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
And the battle of wits has jst begun
JOHESU vs NMA
NASU vs ASUU
HND vs Bsc
Anything goes in Nigeria without recourse to internationa best practice once you can pull some strings.

3 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
Acidosis:

2years OND
1year I.T
3years HND

that's not longer than some courses if we should include NYSC

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by piroskey94(m): 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
rattlesnake:
dont mind the ignoramuses ...dictonomy ko masectomy ni
wow! so u no talk ur illuminati talk 2day? i was xpecting 2 hear sumtn lyk " university students are trained by illuminati, hence d segregation" hahahaha! funny dude

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by azimibraun: 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
I find it hard to respect Educated Nigerians. We practicaly talk like Universities and Polys and COEs are all all motor parks where agboro character is learnt and holds sway. How do u guys expect a kid in college reading ur posts to make any sense out of this topic and ur arguments? Can any1 of u explain to a college boy or girl why think this issues persist and hs gone to the level it is now? Objectivity is just no where near all these shallow posts am reading. What are the philosphies behind establishing polys and what are the ideas behind establishing a universities? Dts a gud way to start den u move on to identifying wen dis dicotomy in relevance started and why? Gradualy we wll all arrive @ root causes, effects and solutions.

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Acidosis(m): 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
Elantracey:

that's not longer than some courses if we should include NYSC

e.g. HND also engage in the NYSC thing

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Haryohdeji(m): 6:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
Sheenor: i read it too.........i hope they do something about it . HND cannot forever remain second to degree.....they have to be equal....yeah!.....they most be equal.
. 4get about dat equality of the certificate....Degree will forever be rated above HND....because dia foundation standard are different.... And the courses offered are not all the same with university course... If not for the inconstitent in 9ja educatn.... Normal poly student er 2 spend 2yrs for dia course.... You can't tell me dat someone dat read Animal science in UI (6yrs course) shud b given d same certificate with one dat spent 3yrs in poly reading dsame course.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by DonaldGenes(m): 6:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
Evestar200: Professors ko confessor ni, it must be equal or poly shld be scrap and turn all poly to uni

Lmao! Let Me ask: PDP and APC are they equal?

Or Nairaland (B.sc) and LindaIkeji(HND) are they equal?

Soldiers( B.Sc) and Police(HND) are they equal?

Manchester United (B.sc) and Arsenal/Chelsea(HND) are they equal?

Lmao! Am just joking o metaphorically

3 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by billcosby: 6:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
Why do we have university and polytechnic if degree and HND.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Acidosis:

e.g. HND also engage in the NYSC thing

oooops , I really don't know much , anyway theirs really no big deal if both degrees are made equal , polytechnics are even better in practical courses .
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 06, 2014
adde: Why would a Polytechnic graduate desire equality to a B.Sc holder Its like eating beans and wanting it to taste like rice. Both institutions are very important to the society because they serve different purposes.
-In most private firms, HND is for senior supervisors (or technicians) and BSc for Entry level management.
-HND is deemed to be more technical oriented and BSc more managerial.
-Most schools dont allow HND holders do MSc without a PGD certification

Now, bearing in mind these different outcomes/opportunities, anyone who commited to HND/ BSc did so of his own accord. You shouldn't seek equality but more opportunities; or better still, step up your education with a PGD/MSc.

Our only problem is that most people could not pass JAMB well enough to go through a university, and were not boxed up enough to do a Diploma or Pre degree programme. They want to pass through the back door grin. In the end, whether na university or Poly, when you finish and you no get work>>> You are both EQUALLY unemployed! cheesy

^^^
Here lies the answer you seek.

And anyone on this thread who didn't understand this dudes post does not deserve to be called literate. This sums up the whole bruhaha.

No need reading any further.

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Acidosis(m): 6:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
Haryohdeji: . 4get about dat equality of the certificate....Degree will forever be rated above HND....because dia foundation standard are different.... And the courses offered are not all the same with university course... If not for the inconstitent in 9ja educatn.... Normal poly student er 2 spend 2yrs for dia course.... You can't tell me dat someone dat read Animal science in UI (6yrs course) shud b given d same certificate with one dat spent 3yrs in poly reading dsame course.

HND is 3years,

So how do you apply for HND without the foundation (2yrs OND) and 1year I.T?

Animal Science is 6years in U.I?

We are not talking about those who apply via Interim/Pre-degree.

Limit the false hood. Animal Science is a 3-5year course - all over the world.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by omoadeleye(m): 6:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
just know one thing for sure that practical is better than theory
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by mkoabiola: 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ds dcsrimination is 3 much.
Asup shud also figh to d end.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by myspnigeria: 6:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
God go help them resolve the issue o
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by saintol(m): 6:19pm On Jul 06, 2014
Maybe sooner Medicine will be studied in the polytechnics too abi... Enough of this B.sc-HND rubbish. What really matter most is the grace of God and how you package yourself. Some Universities are just like polytechnics that is why some people think when a particular university student cant do something then all the university students are the same. My friend, if you are thinking like this then you are committing a fallacy, hasty generalization to be precise. While some polytechnic students have gone extra miles, some are just extremely poor. The same apply to the university students. I could remember when i was in the polytechnic then, i would get nothing less than 80 in Bus Maths and Statistics, i was so surprised when i got 60 smthing in SSC 105 and 106 then in OAU. I was like 'this lecturer dey craze o'. For as long as professors arent in the polytechnics, forget it. 'Sey U fit study Law for Poly'?

5 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Microtee(m): 6:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
Joejonah:

in public forum you are not suppose to abbreviate.... "pot mocking black kettle"
If what i wrote should b termed abbreviations,what 'll we term the likes of OAU,SSS and WASSCE?

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Microtee(m): 6:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
Joejonah:

in public forum you are not suppose to abbreviate.... "pot mocking black kettle"
Thanks bro.If what i wrote should b termed abbreviations,what 'll we term the likes of OAU,SSS and WASSCE?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 06, 2014
1. Entry requirements are different. Generally, it is easier to be admitted to polytechnics than universities. This implies more bright students aim for Universities. Infact, in the past, there was a separate JAMB dedicated to "poly" students called Poly JAMB. It was inferior in quality to the real JAMB/UME taken by university candidates. To be blunt, more folks that are admitted to polytechnics are ones that ordinarily would find it difficult to make it to universities. So on entry requirements: fewer number of credits and low benchmark in UME scores are glaring enough to be ignored. Taken as raw materials, one could say what's being fed to poly reaction vessels is of low quality.

2.The quality of the faculties/lecturers. You don't become professor in one day! That's the pinnacle of academic profession and it's earned mostly by output of your research. The scenario is this: while many university students are taught by many professors, poly students are rarely exposed to a single professor. if there is one in any polytechnic, he/she would be the rector. It follows that poly students are rarely taught by experts in any field. In my first year in university, I was taught by 21 professors. I can tell there is a glaring difference in terms of lecture delivery, brilliance, comportment etc between accomplished professors and others. It follows that university candidates who are taught by more competent teachers are fed more content than their poly counterparts.

3.Quality of infrastructure. Any institution be it polytechnic or university can be assessed on four key points. The quality of admitted students, the quality of its faculties/lecturers, quality of its output and the state of its infrastructure. There are exceptions but generally, universities have better learning environment than polytechnics. Poly students are more likely to approach libraries in universities to have access to some materials than the reverse. Even in circumstances where both are lacking equipment, experience of quality lecturers can make the difference. That explains why professors can "create" a lab in a lecture hall where none exist. On this count, poly students are still at the disadvantage.

4.The quality of the output from these institutions. I am sorry if I am a bit arrogant but where are the poly graduates in Nigeria? In politics, academics, industry, etc? The most vociferous mouths--good or bad--in our society are universities graduates. Apart from Fayose whose HND is even questionable, it's hard to come by any seasoned politician who is poly product. The truth is the best and brightest of our elites are university graduates. Yet polytechnics are as old as some of the oldest universities in Nigeria.

The dichotomy is not something verdict of court or courts can eliminate. Infact, approaching a court on this issue is misplaced if not idiotic. Why? A supreme court verdict abolishing any dichotomy does not change the realities itemized above. These realities will continue to direct the hands and psychology of employers of labour. It might eliminate disparity in pay but it won't make more poly graduates employable. What's needed is an upgrade of polytechnics to universities.

4 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Acidosis(m): 6:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
Elantracey:

oooops , I really don't know much , anyway theirs really no big deal if both degrees are made equal , polytechnics are even better in practical courses .
Yes dear,

But Nigerians do not value technology, we prefer those who make too much theoretical noise without impact. sad

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by bharyur2103(m): 6:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
berbs112: I studied Chemistry in d Polytechnic... I am proud to say,no university graduate with BSc in Chemistry can challenge me in the field... Lips sealed...

I'm sorry to say,but this is the height of intellectual mastur.ba.tion!How many university graduates have you actually competed against?..I'm not saying they are, or they are not better than you,but this statement doesn't actually seem like one an intelligent person would make..

3 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by azimibraun: 6:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
No bright future for this country honestly. Man U(B.sc) Arsenal( Hnd) and am quite sure that individual wll claim to have gone to school.

Firstly: Nobody shld joke with a sensitive topic like this, if u hv nothing to contribute wich to me wld be strange then keep quite and read wat dos with head and anger with wat we are goin tru as a ppl talk. Naija shld nt be discussing dis nw in 2014. We ought to be talking abt achievments of our Unis and Polys.

Secondly: If Man u is B.sc andChelsea Hnd wt are they doing in dsame League? Little boy let me educate. Poly or Uni or colleges all are component of wt is called an Education system. Wich means dey are all equal. Primary school is as equal to a Uni and secondary school is equal to a Poly. Its jst a matter of the government clearly defining their roles and what to use dem to achieve.

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by criuze(m): 6:23pm On Jul 06, 2014
You don forget say 'khaki no be leather

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by watchindelta(m): 6:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
all my PTI friends na big boiz working with different oil companies, but uni oh! Jst saying wat i kn.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tosyne2much(m): 6:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
Kayraph: Honestly I'm always surprised when I hear the word 'discrimination' between BSc & HND.

I graduated with a HND in Accountancy from MAPOLY in 2001 and I am a Chartered Accountant. I have attended a lot of interviews and worked in some great companies both local & multinationals.

There has never been any instance at which anybody discriminate against my certificate because I know my onions and as of this moment I have developed the habit of selecting interviews and turning a lot down. Moreover, I have a lot of appointment letters in my house from companies which I don't feel like working with (for one reason or the other)

What I am saying in essence is that your certificate (HND, BSc, MSc, PHD etc) could only get you an interview, your success at the interview us a combination of your ability as well as favor & luck from God.

Also, within the office environment, you have to dustinguish yourself as an exemplary employee to your employers and you will be surprised that no one will be concerned about your book knowledge but rather the value you can add to the business entity.

Some companies do not even ask for your credentials afterall (whether its real, Oluwole or Toronto) It all depends on how diligent, hardworking and professional you are.

In conclusion, let no HND holder feel inferior and let no BSc holder feel superior. You have to pass through school and allow the school pass through you.

I rest my case!
U ar a man full of wisdom
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Libkid(m): 6:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
Una dey madt? To say that Hnd should b equal to b.sc is very contradicting.its more lyk comparing sleep to death.hnd holderz park well jor

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by luckyman1010(m): 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Nigeria problems can never solve unless we stop appreciating certificate instead of what the owner has in the brain. We are just fighting for paper not what the paper's owner have to offer ,its just like a motor without engine. To hell with Yeye Nigeria Degrees, HND we hail thee.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by SweetyZinta(f): 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Sheenor: i read it too.........i hope they do something about it . HND cannot forever remain second to degree.....they have to be equal....yeah!.....they most be equal.
Let's be realistic 4 once! HND AND BSC cannot be equal. Not in Naija may be some developed countries. Next plsss
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by azimibraun: 6:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
To say polys are better than Unis or Unis are better than polys first of all shows you are not properly educated. That can only come frm an illitrate individual. As much as they are both institutions of higher learning dnt dey have distict fetures? They are both integral to our national development and growth in their diff ways. We need both and we mst have clear none discriminatory perception for them. I went to a university and I hv all d respect for poly graduates.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
Make dem bridge the gap jareh, e don do for these pple claiming 'senior', yet after the whole tin no work sef.
*Sips my zobo, leans back on my armchair*

#armchair_warrior#
Keep the battle coming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It. / Two FUTO Students Found Dead In Their Lodge Today (Graphic Photos) / When Your Village People Sit Near You In The Exam Hall (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.