Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Studying In US And Canada Faq's - Educational Services (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Educational Services / Studying In US And Canada Faq's (58014 Views)

Unn 2015/16 Departmental Cut-off Mark (faq) / Universities In US And Canada That Doesn't Require GRE / Tution Free Universities In Norway, Sweden And Canada Urgent Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by chaiks: 3:15pm On Mar 20, 2017
dafemlions:

Hello,
To be candid with you, your chances in getting to Canada without GRE is very slim and I will tell you why. Over the years, there are many students from China and Indian studying in North America (USA and Canada). As a result, they have an established record in virtually all the programs/department that an average Chinese or Indian will do well when admitted. However, relative to China and India, Nigerian students are few in North America. I want you to also note that there are many Chinese and Indian students with your kind of mindset that do not want to do the GRE. As a result, they will also be competing with you for the same spot where you are applying. So when the admission committee see all these applications, with comparable academic record, they will certainly be willing to admit Chinese and Indian students before looking at your application at all. However, when you do the GRE, it gives all applicants the same chance of being admitted. This is why I do encourage Nigerians to take the GRE. If you are willing to do the GRE, you can send an email to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com and the preparatory materials can be shared with you via the dropbox. In addition to this, USA schools have more funding (Scholarships) relative to their Canadian School counterparts.

I hops this helps.

Regards
tanks for your insightful response.I I'll certainly consider the GRE well.but please wat chances do you see in Europe?just trying to weigh different options.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 2:46am On Mar 24, 2017
chaiks:
tanks for your insightful response.I I'll certainly consider the GRE well.but please wat chances do you see in Europe?just trying to weigh different options.

Hello Chaiks,
Honestly I am not that familiar with Europe. All I know about Europe is that they do have scholarships like DAAD and ERASMUS MUNDUS Scholarship which you may want to read more about. In Germany, their Universities are free but you need to take care of your living expenses yourself. I do not know if they do allow student to do menial jobs in Germany so that they can take care of their living expenses through that. As I have earlier said, I don't know much about Europe but you can always get some more information on google.

I wish you all the best.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Scholarships: 6:34pm On Mar 26, 2017
dafemlions:

Good day sir, I sent you mail.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by chaiks: 9:13pm On Mar 26, 2017
dafemlions:

Hello Chaiks,
Honestly I am not that familiar with Europe. All I know about Europe is that they do have scholarships like DAAD and ERASMUS MUNDUS Scholarship which you may want to read more about. In Germany, their Universities are free but you need to take care of your living expenses yourself. I do not know if they do allow student to do menial jobs in Germany so that they can take care of their living expenses through that. As I have earlier said, I don't know much about Europe but you can always get some more information on google.

I wish you all the best.
OK.tnks a mil.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by willjoe: 11:33am On Mar 27, 2017
dafemlions:

Hello Chaiks,

I wish you all the best.
hello boss
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:38am On Mar 28, 2017
willjoe:
hello boss
Hi
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:39am On Mar 28, 2017
chaiks:
OK.tnks a mil.

You are welcome
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:39am On Mar 28, 2017
Scholarships:

Good day sir, I sent you mail.

I just replied emails.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by willjoe: 6:56am On Mar 28, 2017
dafemlions:

Hi
any hope i could get a low tuition varsity plus scholarship to study undergrad. Law?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 3:46pm On Mar 28, 2017
willjoe:
any hope i could get a low tuition varsity plus scholarship to study undergrad. Law?

Hello Willjoe,
Law is a second degree in the US and I think same applies to Canada. Based on my understanding, US citizens also have to apply for loan in order to attend law school. As a result, your chances are very very very slim.

However, if you want to do Masters in Law, you may apply to University of Calgary Law program. They do have scholarships for Masters and probably Ph.D program.

I hope this helps,
Regards

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by saxoholic1(m): 8:07am On Mar 29, 2017
Join TOEFL / IELTS ,, GRE success group via https:///KLLqrSH61dILAfkUPFJ49R
or send contact to 08034697789
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by mzhorlah(f): 3:22pm On Apr 26, 2017
dafemlions:
Hi
hello sir
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:14am On May 03, 2017
saxoholic1:
Join TOEFL / IELTS ,, GRE success group via
https:///KLLqrSH61dILAfkUPFJ49R

or send contact to 08034697789

Hello Guys,
Please do not let these GRE success people take your money. send me an email at gre.nigeria.com and I will share the best GRE materials with you for free. You can actually prepare for the GRE yourself without any help from someone that will take your money without any new information outside these books I will share with you. I just received an email from someone who went through the process and He is now in the US.

Follow the process religiously and you will be fine.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:14am On May 03, 2017
mzhorlah:
hello sir

Hello Mzhoriah
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by mzhorlah(f): 10:28pm On May 17, 2017
dafemlions:

Hello Mzhoriah
so sorry my reply was late.

permission to send a PM sir?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 8:13am On May 18, 2017
dafemlions:

Hello Guys,
Please do not let these GRE success people take your money. send me an email at gre.nigeria.com and I will share the best GRE materials with you for free. You can actually prepare for the GRE yourself without any help from someone that will take your money without any new information outside these books I will share with you. I just received an email from someone who went through the process and He is now in the US.

Follow the process religiously and you will be fine.

Kudos to you, sir, for the great work you are doing here!

I plan to seat for TOEFL very soon and GRE later in the year. Please do you have TOEFL materials also?

Thank you.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Sakaslim(m): 9:38am On May 18, 2017
I am panning on writing the GRE next month. However, i am a little confused as to the appropriate time to apply to a US university for fall session. From your previous post, i understand that to apply for fall 2018, all applications must be submitted on or before January 2018. Since the scholarship is on a first come first serve basis does it mean that those who apply early, say September or October 2017 get the scholarship first?
Kindly throw more light.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by mzhorlah(f): 4:58pm On May 18, 2017
hello, please I need someone to reply me. thanks
is it possible to seek n get Job/employment in Canada from Nigeria here n then later apply for Masters programme.
will be anticipating opinions
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by mzhorlah(f): 5:00pm On May 18, 2017
hello
is it possible to seek n get Job/employment in Canada from Nigeria here n then later apply for Masters programme.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by knoph2007: 9:05pm On May 21, 2017
I am almost through with my Msc finance from Unilag with probably 3.80. I have bsc accounting from same school of 4.19. I have an like 7 years in accounting, audit and tax. Am I qualified with these grades or will my experience cover up as I proceed to write Gre and ieslt
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:23pm On May 22, 2017
mzhorlah:
so sorry my reply was late.

permission to send a PM sir?

Sure. Kindly send me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:27pm On May 22, 2017
gensteejay:

Kudos to you, sir, for the great work you are doing here!

I plan to seat for TOEFL very soon and GRE later in the year. Please do you have TOEFL materials also?

Thank you.

As I have always said, doing TOEFL is like a waste of money and time. Nigeria is an anglophone country. As a result, all you need to do is to request from the school you are applying to to waive TOEFL for you on this basis. Most schools in US and Canada will do that. If any school refuses tot do that, then find other schools. To the best of my knowledge, schools that do not waive TOEFL for students from Anglophone countries are usually not the very good ones. if you are bent on writing TOEFL, kindly send an email to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com to make the request.

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:34pm On May 22, 2017
Sakaslim:
I am panning on writing the GRE next month. However, i am a little confused as to the appropriate time to apply to a US university for fall session. From your previous post, i understand that to apply for fall 2018, all applications must be submitted on or before January 2018. Since the scholarship is on a first come first serve basis does it mean that those who apply early, say September or October 2017 get the scholarship first?
Kindly throw more light.

Please note that scholarships are not on first come first serve basis. it is based on holistic review of your application materials (Academic results, GRE score, Statement of purpose) and this is then used to rank students that apply to the program (department) and admission and scholarships (Tuition waiver, monthly stipend, and health insurance) are given based on merit.

You can start applying for Fall 2018 once the fall semester for 2017 has started which is about September 1st, 2017 on the average.

I hope this helps,

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:37pm On May 22, 2017
mzhorlah:
hello, please I need someone to reply me. thanks
will be anticipating opinions

Hello Mzoriah, it is possible and in fact, I know someone who got a job in Canada while she was still in Nigeria (The person is a Nurse though) and they processed her work visa. So it is not impossible. However, the process is much tedious and longer than going through the student route.

I hope this helps,

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:41pm On May 22, 2017
knoph2007:
I am almost through with my Msc finance from Unilag with probably 3.80. I have bsc accounting from same school of 4.19. I have an like 7 years in accounting, audit and tax. Am I qualified with these grades or will my experience cover up as I proceed to write Gre and ieslt

Hello Knoph2007, Are you GPA's on a scale of 5 or 7? if on a scale of 5, then, Sure, you do have good grades cos that is a 2nd class upper. However, if they are on a scale of 7, you may need to read through the thread from the begining to follow the alternative route proposed for students that have below 2nd class upper.

Your experience in accounting, audit, and tax should be included in your CV. it may help.

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:43pm On May 22, 2017
EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP)

There are many determined and talented, low-income students in Nigeria who only require financial resources and access to information to better their educational future. For the 11th year, the United States Embassy, Nigeria seeks to identify academically qualified and highly motivated, low-income students in Nigeria to join the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP).

OFP’s mission is to assist talented and determined, low-income students who are good candidates for financial assistance from U.S. colleges and universities but lack the financial resources to cover the up-front cost of obtaining admission.

OFP works closely with students through regularly scheduled meetings and seminars to assist them throughout the application process to secure admission and scholarships to attend colleges and universities in the United States. OFP finances the cost of the application process, including registration fees for required standardized examinations and provides free membership to the U.S. EducationUSA Advising Center for its participants. OFP expects a sincere commitment from the students to give their energy and time to the program so that they may achieve their dreams of study in the United States.

Applicants are welcome from all the states in Nigeria. However, students must be able to reach our offices in Abuja or Lagos on a monthly basis during the program for full participation. Participants will work with our EducationUSA Advisors from June 2017 – August 2018 to try to secure places and financial assistance to begin study in the U.S. in August 2018.

NOTE: ENTRANCE INTO THIS PROGRAM IS NO GUARANTEE OF A SCHOLARSHIP OR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO STUDY IN THE U.S.

HOW TO APPLY

OFP is accepting applications from prospective undergraduates and graduate students.

Send an email to AbujaEducationusa@state.gov or LagosEducationusa@state.gov requesting an electronic undergraduate or graduate application form.

SELECTION CRITERIA

The selection of finalists for OFP is highly competitive, given limited funding. We look for applicants with:

Strong academic record/ transcript
Robust participation in extracurricular activities
Involvement in leadership roles
Excellent community service participation
Financial Need
NOTE: Undergraduate Applicants– If WAEC results are not available; the student must be currently in SS3. If WAEC results are available, they must be from May/June WAEC.

Students who have already started a University education are NOT eligible to apply.

Requirements

Complete Application Form
Just send us an email at AbujaEducationusa@state.gov or LagosEducationusa@state.gov requesting an application form which is in PDF format. Fill out the document and send as an attachment to our email.
Academic Results:
Undergraduate Applicants– Attach a copy of your WAEC “O” Level results (from WAEC website). Include Cambridge A’Level or IGSCE results if applicable or available.
Graduate Applicants– Attach a copy of your Final year results and degree results (if available) First Class only (STEM majors preferred).
Letters of recommendation:
Undergraduate Applicants: Request a teacher or your school principal to complete a letter of recommendation form, attesting to your character, talent and skills. Please do not include a basic testimonial that does not talk about you as an individual.
Graduate Applicants: Provide the details of a lecturer, professor, or Head of Department (HOD) that we can contact to find out more about you.
Transcript:
Undergraduate Applicants: Send a scanned copy of your transcript from JS1 to SS3 including your mock and first term results, if possible.
Graduate Applicants– Send a scanned copy of your transcripts that show a GPA of 4.5 or above on a 5.0 scale.
Essays:
Write two essays, one from Group A and one from Group B, each of about 250– 300 words. The essay topics will be on the application form you receive. (Essay topics will be found on the form)
Send a scanned copy of any relevant supplementary certificates of achievement

NOTE: Please send all documents to AbujaEducationusa@state.gov or LagosEducationusa@state.gov as attachments with proper titles e.g. “Femi King Transcript”, “Femi King WAEC” etc

Abuja Address:

EducationUSA Advising Center
Public Affairs Section
Embassy of the United States of America
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area, Abuja.
Tel: 09-4614251; 09-4614241
E-mail: AbujaEducationusa@state.gov

Lagos Address:

EducationUSA Advising Center
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Consulate General
2, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Victoria Island, Lagos
Tel: 01-4603801; 01-4603803
E-mail: LagosEducationusa@state.gov

APPLICATION DEADLINE- JUNE 16, 2017

https://ng.usembassy.gov/education-culture/exchange-programs/educationusa-student-achievers-program-edsap/

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by mzhorlah(f): 9:06pm On May 22, 2017
dafemlions:

Sure. Kindly send me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com
Regards
thanks alot
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by mzhorlah(f): 9:07pm On May 22, 2017
dafemlions:

Hello Mzoriah, it is possible and in fact, I know someone who got a job in Canada while she was still in Nigeria (The person is a Nurse though) and they processed her work visa. So it is not impossible. However, the process is much tedious and longer than going through the student route.

I hope this helps,

Regards
yes it does. thanks alot D
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 22, 2017
dafemlions:

As I have always said, doing TOEFL is like a waste of money and time. Nigeria is an anglophone country. As a result, all you need to do is to request from the school you are applying to to waive TOEFL for you on this basis. Most schools in US and Canada will do that. If any school refuses tot do that, then find other schools. To the best of my knowledge, schools that do not waive TOEFL for students from Anglophone countries are usually not the very good ones. if you are bent on writing TOEFL, kindly send an email to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com to make the request.

Regards
I don't intend studying in US or Canada. I plan to study in a Saudi Arabian university on scholarship.

I have contacted two universities there and they made it clear they don't consider prospective students who apply for their scholarship program without TOEFL.

Thanks, sir.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:11pm On May 24, 2017
mzhorlah:
thanks alot

You are welcome
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:11pm On May 24, 2017
mzhorlah:
yes it does. thanks alot D

You are welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

JAMB PAST QUESTION AND ANSWER / I Need Good Accounting Project Topics For My Final Year Project. / Download Complete Project Topics And Materials For FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.