Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates (9701 Views)

Poll: Obama Vs McCain Round Two: Who Impressed You This Time?

Obama: 94% (96 votes)
McCain: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread / Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 / Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 3:45am On Oct 08, 2008
@bawomolo,

obama had a slight edge. mccain didn't do so bad except for the healthcare messup
What do you mean? I sincerely subscribe to McCain's health proposal. The current method is totally not working well enough.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by Nobody: 3:46am On Oct 08, 2008
It was boring, yet again.
The VP debate was way way better.
I almost slept through this debate.
I love Obama, but he has to stop with the stuttering .

And does anyone get McCain's new plan?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 3:47am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@bawomolo,
What do you mean? I sincerely subscribe to McCain's health proposal. The current method is totally not working well enough.

Do you understand it?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 3:48am On Oct 08, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

It was boring, yet again.
The VP debate was way way better.
I almost slept through this debate.
I love Obama, but he has to stop with the stuttering .

And does anyone get McCain's new plan?

Let him stutter
He's still cuter and smarter
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 3:48am On Oct 08, 2008
@Plus_Queen,

Do you understand it?
I do. Do your not? Why do you criticize what you do not understand then?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 3:49am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Plus_Queen,
I do. Do your not? Why do you criticize what you do not understand then?

Oya explain it
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by bawomolo(m): 3:50am On Oct 08, 2008
enlighten us tayo D.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by CodeRED(f): 3:50am On Oct 08, 2008
plus_Queen:

Exactly.That was really low of him.
and at a time I told my hubby that if he mentioned General Petreas or whatever his name was one more time,I would scatter this our old 32 inch TV in the family room
I swear you crack me up grin grin grin.

On a more serious note I am with you on that Petreas thingy, I am getting sick and tired of his damn jargons. I am beginning to suspect he has some  impediment  grin grin grin.  What bugs me out is the way Mc cains keeps acting as if his "grandpa ' age somehow makes him qualify. If according to him, Obama is young and lacking experiencing, then why did he stoop so low as to recruit his grand daughter as a running mate? And a clueless grand daughter at that, grin grin
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 3:51am On Oct 08, 2008
anything to help your premiums come lower and keeping what you have is a million times better than someone giving you a tax credit of $5,000 to go shopping for health care.
For someone in the health care profession,that is bunkum.
Where on earth do you think individuals would shop for health care?
do you know where to shop?
$5,000 cannot do a thing for a man talk less of one with a wife and children.
How about those with pre existing conditions?
The man has no clue.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by bawomolo(m): 3:54am On Oct 08, 2008
plus_Queen:

Exactly.That was really low of him.
and at a time I told my hubby that if he mentioned General Petreas or whatever his name was one more time,I would scatter this our old 32 inch TV in the family room

lol he owes it to general petreaus for the troop surge. that's one of McCain's few fine points.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 3:57am On Oct 08, 2008
@plus_Queen,

Right now, the average employer pays close to $15,000 per annum to cover their employees. What they do is that they receive a tax write-off for that amount while giving everyone a blanket coverage. For instance, I have a coverage for my eyesight which I do not need, yet my employer has to make that payment. The insurance companies are thus getting money that I will never use.

In McCain's plans, I get a $5,000 credit which I can use to pay and buy insurance from any where and based on my needs ( I will not buy any for vision). This way, to get the regular tax break, my employer will have to pay me the money they are paying to the insurance agencies, and I end up having more money in my pocket while having the chjoice to get the coverage I need.

This is just a simple explanation.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 3:59am On Oct 08, 2008
let's remember it's a $5,000 tax credit not $5,000 check which to people that earn more and single unmarried would mean nothing by the time the whole tax pluses and minuses are computed.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by davidylan4(m): 4:01am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo, that plan sounds "good" economically but in the long term is even more dangerous. Of course you dont need any medical attention to your sight now but (God forbid) you develop a serious eye infection?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 4:03am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@plus_Queen,

Right now, the average employer pays close to $15,000 per annum to cover their employees. What they do is that they receive a tax write-off for that amount while giving everyone a blanket coverage. For instance, I have a coverage for my eyesight which I do not need, yet my employer has to make that payment. The insurance companies are thus getting money that I will never use.

In McCain's plans, I get a $5,000 credit which I can use to pay and buy insurance from any where and based on my needs ( I will not buy any for vision). This way, to get the regular tax break, my employer will have to pay me the money they are paying to the insurance agencies, and I end up having more money in my pocket while having the chjoice to get the coverage I need.

Do you now know that if you're in the 33% tax bracket and above,that money means nothing.
If you're not,you're at the mercies of insurance companies and would still be forced to choose and for go some things based on what your meagre $5,000 can afford.
And if you happen to have a pre existing medical condition,God help you.
And if you develop an illness for a body part you did not buy coverage for, good luck trying to find someone to sell you an insurance to cover it.
Nobody will touch you and your $5,000 with a ten foot pole.
That plan is flawed
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by bawomolo(m): 4:04am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@plus_Queen,

what makes you so sure you would never need vision coverage?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 4:05am On Oct 08, 2008
@plus_Queen,

anything to help your premiums come lower and keeping what you have is a million times better than someone giving you a tax credit of $5,000 to go shopping for health care.
What will lower your premium is competition and not government regulation. If govt insists on a particular premium for everyone, then they have to be ready to subsidize, which means tax increases. Going across State lines is the best way to get the best price.

For someone in the health care profession,that is bunkum.
Can you explain?

Where on earth do you think individuals would shop for health care?
The same place you shop for your car insurance. Does your employer or govt provide you with this insurance?

do you know where to shop?
You do not know now becuase you are not shopping.

$5,000 cannot do a thing for a man talk less of one with a wife and children.
Of course it does. What this is to buy insurance not to purchase treatment. These are two different things.

How about those with pre existing conditions?
No doubt this will increase your premium. However, look at it this way. Why should I be paying for vision when I do not need it?

The man has no clue.
I'm not sure you understand what he is proposing.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by davidylan4(m): 4:06am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

Going across State lines is the best way to get the best price.

i'm not sure you heard Obama's reasons why that wont work.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by maxell(f): 4:08am On Oct 08, 2008
May thunder strike McCain's behind for referring to Obama as "that one". oloshi lipsrsealed
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 4:12am On Oct 08, 2008
@Davidylan,

Tayo, that plan sounds "good" economically but in the long term is even more dangerous. Of course you don't need any medical attention to your sight now but (God forbid) you develop a serious eye infection?
What is mor edangerous is to have the govt control my health coverage. Things like this works better in the private sector. It is indeed more economical and will cost the government nothing. Compare this to Obama's mandate whenre the govt will have to subsidize. We are talking of reigning in spending and he is expanding it.

i'm not sure you heard Obama's reasons why that wont work.
And that is what ? - Lack of mandates. It is the mandates and lobbying that is making everything so expensive right now.

what makes you so sure you would never need vision coverage?
Its all a nmatter of family history and personal history. I have an extremely good vision and so does my wife and her family tree. Based on this alone, I can save my family a lot of money every year.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 4:17am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@plus_Queen,
What will lower your premium is competition and not government regulation. If govt insists on a particular premium for everyone, then they have to be ready to subsidize, which means tax increases.

what competition?
do you know how many health care companies are already ou tthere?
do you think they don't compete?
why do you think employers change companies from time to time?

The same place you shop for your car insurance. Does your employer or govt provide you with this insurance?

I dare you to pick up the phone tomorrow and call metlife or blue cross and blue shield and ask to buy coverage for your family.
Remember there areseveral out there competing.
If they quote you anything less than $800 a month get back to us with what they cover and what your deductible and limits are.

You do not know now becuase you are not shopping.
google

Of course it does. What this is to buy insurance not to purchase treatment. These are two different things.

Lord have mercy.This is even scarier.
The $5,000 is just to buy the insurance without treatment shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Like buyng a car insurance without coverage shocked shocked
my bro how does that work?

No doubt this will increase your premium. However, look at it this way. Why should I be paying for vision when I do not need it?

Is your vision guaranted?
doesn't it balance out afterall there are people with vision problems who don't have wives of child bearing age?
Should you pay more because yours covers maternity?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 4:17am On Oct 08, 2008
@topic,

The fundamental difference here again is that while one candidate believes and trusts in the ability of the individuals to make the best decisions for their families, the other thinks that the govt is the alpha and the omega. Anyone who has seen how Washington is broken and how completely wasteful and incompetent the Govt is, will be wary to have the govt control healthcare. One of the major problems both candidates never really answered today is the problem of entitlements. While that problem isn't solved, we now want to add more to what the govt should control. That is madness.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by davidylan4(m): 4:18am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

And that is what ? - Lack of mandates. It is the mandates and lobbying that is making everything so expensive right now.

you missed it. He said the insurance companies would (just like the credit card companies and banks take advantage of lax regulations in Delaware) simply set up shop in states where insurance regulations are lax and the tax payer simply gets screwed over by legal red tape.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 4:22am On Oct 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
What is mor edangerous is to have the govt control my health coverage. Things like this works better in the private sector. It is indeed more economical and will cost the government nothing. Compare this to Obama's mandate whenre the govt will have to subsidize. We are talking of reigning in spending and he is expanding it.
Its all a nmatter of family history and personal history. I have an extremely good vision and so does my wife and her family tree. Based on this alone, I can save my family a lot of money every year.

The vison thing you keep hounding how much is it sef?
My health insurance does not include vision yet we pay over $500 a month for family coverage and that's through my employer o.
what are you talking
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 4:24am On Oct 08, 2008
shopping across state lines indeed.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by keba(m): 4:25am On Oct 08, 2008
From the polls, Obama is still leading and has even extended his lead the more.
McCain only did better in terms of attacking his opponent tongue
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 4:26am On Oct 08, 2008
well the polls are coming in

who will be a stronger leader

Obama 54%
McCain 43%
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by keba(m): 4:30am On Oct 08, 2008
And tackling terrorism
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by davidylan4(m): 4:32am On Oct 08, 2008
Did anyone see where Obama talked about somethings he didnt understand? Priceless. grin
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 4:33am On Oct 08, 2008
@Davidylan,

you missed it. He said the insurance companies would (just like the credit card companies and banks take advantage of lax regulations in Delaware) simply set up shop in states where insurance regulations are lax and the tax payer simply gets screwed over by legal red tape.
We are saying the same thing - mandates. The companies prosper and are free to run their business where govt interference is minimal. You are not forced to use credit cards from one company or the other. Rather, you shop till you get the best price for same value.  

@plus_Queen,

what competition? do you know how many health care companies are already ou tthere? do you think they don't compete? why do you think employers change companies from time to time?
Tell me, who do you think will get the best price? The person who is told to buy an item only within a particular shopping mall or one who is free to shop throughout the nation?

I dare you to pick up the phone tomorrow and call metlife or blue cross and blue shield and ask to buy coverage for your family.
Remember there are several out there competing.
There are several out there but I am only limited to the once within my State. Isn't the health coverage they receive in NY good enough as the once they receive here in MN? Why should I be limited through my employer to MN?

If they quote you anything less than $800 a month get back to us with what they cover and what your deductible and limits are.
But that is the thing. My employer pays just as much each month while I also pay about $250 in addition every month. My employer might as well pay me that money while I shop as needed.

Lord have mercy.This is even scarier. The $5,000 is just to buy the insurance without treatment  Like buyng a car insurance without coverage  my bro how does that work?
Of course that is not what I am saying. What your employer is paying for now is also not treatment but coverage. The money paid last month was not for treatment I received, but for coverage in case of illness. It is simply the same thing. Just like car insurance, you can choose to have basic coverage, liability or comprehensive while also choosing your deductible. These options are not available now.

For instance, our health coverage pays for a yearly medical check-up. Now my Doctor told me 2 years agao that I am as healthy as can be and do not need to se him every year. So why am I paying for what I know I wont need for another 3 years or thereabout? My dental coverage pays for a vist every quarter and I know I only visited once last year, and still trying to sort out my vist this year. Why is all that money going to waste?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by TayoD1(m): 4:36am On Oct 08, 2008
@Plus_Queen,

The vison thing you keep hounding how much is it sef? My health insurance does not include vision yet we pay over $500 a month for family coverage and that's through my employer o. what are you talking
$500? I pay $250 a month for family coverage! You see what I mena now. With McCain's plan, you will probably be saving $250 at least every month while getting the same service. See how they are ripping us off with these mandates?
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by plusQueen: 4:38am On Oct 08, 2008
There are several out there but I am only limited to the once within my State. Isn't the health coverage they receive in NY good enough as the once they receive here in MN? Why should I be limited through my employer to MN?

Not true.
You can buy health insurance on your own today from any place you want as a self employed person,the question is ,are there physicians in your area who would take it?
That is the question.
Re: Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates by kaypumpin2(m): 4:39am On Oct 08, 2008
Did anyone watch this debate on fox news tv.In a room of like 50 pple in Virginia,after a fox news correspondent claimed most of the attendants were in tune with McCain and indeed felt he won hands downs on economic issue,they were actually asked to raise their hands to confirm this and only 5 pple raised there hands.Guess what?by their own estimation and confirmaton,that constitutes 50% of the people agreeing and going with McCain.I mean cnt this pple be "responsibly stupid",if ever there is anything like that.

After all said and done,i think the debate is an anti climax viz a viz brewin tension pre-debate.Obviously though,Obama seems to be getting more confident on international issues and McCain acclaimed experience now seem to be his folly.Just my personal idea though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Somalia Should Leave The African Union / Air Duel Between The Sukhoi Su - 30 Russian SM And Israeli F-15(pix) / Russia Shot Down Two US Ballistic Missiles Heading Towards The Syria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.