Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

What's Happening To Our Men? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Happening To Our Men? (32493 Views)

If You Use These Back Then And You Are Still Single, What's Happening? / Our Men Are Killing Our Marriage / Are Womem Unrealistic Or Our Men Being Selfish? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
ihedinobi2:
How's your husband today?

*smirk* You think men want to marry lazy parasites? My boyfriend is fine. We won't marry until we're both finished with grad school. I want a huge wedding, and I plan on paying for a lot of it.

My mother is at the highest level of her career and has two masters degrees. When she retires, she plans on starting a school in Nigeria. I helped her buy the land in September.

So what was your point again?
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 10, 2014
macdanny247: hmmm, i never knew a man could b happy coz his wife is the bread winner.... Am jst hearing this for d first time
A man can never be happy that the wife is the breadwinner. If he says it in public, he is only bringing it to the attention of those that may possibly assist him with one or two jobs or maybe a very good one. Saying it does not mean he is proud of the situation unless he is a Joke.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by TV01(m): 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2014
Essay time angry!

The way men and women are wired means a woman will naturally seek a mate of higher status. Especially where procreation is a factor. Men are better suited for the purpose of providing and protecting, and woman for nurture – both parties have always tacitly accepted and worked with this paradigm.

On paper it’s easy to talk about “equality”, but it’s more about wiring and roles. Whilst slight tweaking/changes may be fine, reversing the roles in the guise of equality interferes with the dynamic. In practice no woman wants to be with a lower status male and would not knowingly choose one unless circumstances dictated it.

A woman will find it hard to respect - and more importantly be physically attracted to – a man if he fails to demonstrate the appropriate “manly” traits. It’s not about earning per se. Earnings only become an issue if they mean the right dynamic cannot be maintained.

If for example the house hold requirements are say 100K and he earns 80k and she earns 120k, why should there be issues? If he’s working, active, providing & protecting as he should be, the dynamic is maintained - why will there be a problem?

If, on the other hand he earns 25K and she earns 45K if he can’t make-up the difference and more crucially doesn’t make the effort to, it could certainly lead to issues. Likewise if she is providing all they have or need single-handedly.

There could even be issues if he brings in 45K, she brings in 25K and there is a shortfall of 10K. He will be considered responsible for making up the difference, not her. He will be judged as not providing adequately, not her. The expectation to provide adequately is his, not hers.

After all, there are women who will leave a man that solely and adequately provides for another who solely and adequately provides more. And others who will leave a man once he ceases to adequately provide. It's the flip side of men leaving women for more youthfull ones - or acquiring more - when they realise thier resources enable them.

Look at Andy Murray and his “Partner” Kim Sears. What does she do? What does she bring? Financially? Nothing really. And she doesn’t really have to. The right dynamic is maintained if she brings the requisite female qualities – of which provision is all but inconsequential . Would it work in the reverse? Can anyone point to examples of the reverse?

And for any women here who are saying they would respect their man if you earned more, would you knowingly seek out a “lower status spouse”, especially if it meant you struggled financially or the financial burden was mainly on you? Even if it only meant you couldn't enjoy the lifestyle you desired? That's mostly a rhetorical question, because we all know the answer to that. But feel free to surprise us.

And for the men that like to agree and form feminist to score brownie points with women. They respond to the manly traits just like all the others. They are more likely to get with the one who demonstrates manly traits and in the unlikely event they do get with you, they won’t be happy. Feminist that marry well are only conceptual ones not practical. Abeg, Loretta, come and testify grin.

TV

5 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by hidee20(m): 5:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
Personally I think its all part of the divine plan. Things will deteriorate further and there will be absolute chaos. Then peace will come.

Well said. I think that the bible is clear about the role and responsibility of each member of the family which the so called christian wedding preachers failed to make clear to the couples,all they do is to preach gender equality.Above all what is needed is both the friendship love which is caring,ready to listen and always lend a helping hand and also the romantic love which draws you sexually to your spouse.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

Definition of respect

/rɪˈspɛkt/

noun

1. Noun: respect; plural noun: respects
a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

2. Verb
admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements

Should deep admiration be felt for my hubby only because he earns more than me?

Nowhere did the Bible (I assume you are a Christian) say a man is the head because he earns more than the wife or because he is the breadwinner. The only scripture that ties 'men' to breadwinning is
1 Tim 5:8 King James Bible
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Then again, remember II Cor 5:17 King James Bible
Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Is the man in II Cor 5:17 here referring to only 'men'? Afterall, we do not have sisters in KJV etc.

Look at the qualities of the Virtuous woman (emphasis on the bolded)

Proverbs 31:10-31King James Version (KJV)

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.

23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

P.S.: And why will a husband respect his wife (Let us assume she is an housewife and have no income)

Sorry for the long post

I'll start with the text I colored. This is not an argument that I have with you or anybody here. If you know any place where I have expressed the opinion that a man needs to earn more than his wife to be respected by her, by all means produce it. As far as I'm concerned, nothing you have written pertaining to who earns more than the other is addressed to me so forgive me for choosing not to respond to it.

Now, my interest is this claim of yours that nowhere in the Bible is the man named the head of the woman because he is the breadwinner. I totally agree. What the Bible does, at least, imply is that being the head he is the breadwinner as well. And you have pointed out the governing Scripture that clearly enunciates that. I think it is rather interesting that you should regard "man" in that portion of Paul's letter to Timothy as corresponding to "man" in his other letter to the Corinthians. It is interesting considering that the context has women in it too.

I also find rather interesting and adequate your mention of Proverbs 31. Did you perchance notice the man in it and what that passage says of him? Why does his heart safely trust in his wife? Why is he described as "known in the gates when he sitteth with the elders of the land"?

Two more things and this post will be done. Respect per your definition is admiration that results from an ability etc. If your husband is able by himself to cater for you and your little ones, do you consider that admirable?

Second, you said that it is only that place in 1 Timothy that the Bible attributed breadwinning to men. Let's assume you're indeed right (it really isn't, but since I know of no other place with the same obviousness, I won't push it), do you know of any place where it does attribute breadwinning to the woman? Like I said, I can give you multitude places that would require commentary to show that indeed the Bible places breadwinning at the man's door, so if you give me any place that you have to explain to show me that women have the same duty, I will only answer you with counter-interpretations as well.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 5:16pm On Jul 10, 2014
WafiJoe: Character
Not necessarily a bad answer but respect is usually about ability, achievement, a triumph over some adverse element.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by josite: 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2014
shelter4luving: Is like out of all the things in the world increasing, the only thing depreciating is LOVE.
when i was a little girl, there's this picture of men i had in my head. i see them as people that are strong, hardworking, brave and people that can defend and protect women. probably all these qualities was meant to be them ,but today, it's difficult to see men with these attribute. what i see now is, different from what i thought.
1. now some men are confidence and bold to publicly tell people how their wife is the bread winner of the family. i even hear this during testimonies in church. oh sorry to say this. if she's the bread winner, please don't expect total respect all the time.
2. Is like all men now want a working, independent woman. so the woman wouldn't depend on them. forgetting that every woman love to depend on his man even if she have the whole money in the world. if a woman cant depend on you, of what use are you to her?
3. a lot of men can actually lie, pretend to love a rich lady just for the sake of her money or fame. that's why you keep seeing advert: ' i want a sugar mummy who can pay' it's disappointing.
4. most men don't even care nor appreciate how the woman manage her time to take care of the children, and still rush home from work to prepare food for the family. rather they keep going around forming Baddest Boy Ever liveth. chasing other ladies and don't even consider how the woman feels. Mr. man, are you not suppose to protect that woman instead of giving her pains and making her cry?
Men, please what's up with you?
if you continue this way, our little boys wouldn't learn how to be real men.
please arise and be the real man you were created to be.

be careful.situate your marriage in ur owm generation.d way u sound u are setting urself up for a great dissapointment.ur problem is with your own man,dont concern yourself with men.the fundamentals of marriage are fundamentally changed.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by bukatyne(f): 5:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Would get back to you when I gett home

I am mobile

ihedinobi2:

I'll start with the text I colored. This is not an argument that I have with you or anybody here. If you know any place where I have expressed the opinion that a man needs to earn more than his wife to be respected by her, by all means produce it. As far as I'm concerned, nothing you have written pertaining to who earns more than the other is addressed to me so forgive me for choosing not to respond to it.

Now, my interest is this claim of yours that nowhere in the Bible is the man named the head of the woman because he is the breadwinner. I totally agree. What the Bible does, at least, imply is that being the head he is the breadwinner as well. And you have pointed out the governing Scripture that clearly enunciates that. I think it is rather interesting that you should regard "man" in that portion of Paul's letter to Timothy as corresponding to "man" in his other letter to the Corinthians. It is interesting considering that the context has women in it too.

I also find rather interesting and adequate your mention of Proverbs 31. Did you perchance notice the man in it and what that passage says of him? Why does his heart safely trust in his wife? Why is he described as "known in the gates when he sitteth with the elders of the land"?

Two more things and this post will be done. Respect per your definition is admiration that results from an ability etc. If your husband is able by himself to cater for you and your little ones, do you consider that admirable?

Second, you said that it is only that place in 1 Timothy that the Bible attributed breadwinning to men. Let's assume you're indeed right (it really isn't, but since I know of no other place with the same obviousness, I won't push it), do you know of any place where it does attribute breadwinning to the woman? Like I said, I can give you multitude places that would require commentary to show that indeed the Bible places breadwinning at the man's door, so if you give me any place that you have to explain to show me that women have the same duty, I will only answer you with counter-interpretations as well.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2014
MissMeiya:

*smirk* You think men want to marry lazy parasites? My boyfriend is fine. We won't marry until we're both finished with grad school. I want a huge wedding, and I plan on paying for a lot of it.

My mother is at the highest level of her careerr and has two masters degrees. When she retires, she plans on starting a school in Nigeria. I helped her buy the land in September.

So what was your point again?
First, I wonder how you know what I think. It's obvious you didn't read any of my own responses to the topic but if you did not and they were there to be read, why do you make unilateral assumptions about my position on the matter?

Second, get married first then come and tell us about your disgust once again. Until you do, try and keep it to yourself. You need to learn to slow down and make a small attempt to hear the people you criticize out before you jump up and start shouting about how you're worlds better than them.

2 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
ihedinobi2:
First, I wonder how you know what I think. It's obvious you didn't read any of my own responses to the topic but if you did not and they were there to be read, why do you make unilateral assumptions about my position on the matter?

Second, get married first then come and tell us about your disgust once again. Until you do, try and keep it to yourself. You need to learn to slow down and make a small attempt to hear the people you criticize out before you jump up and start shouting about how you're worlds better than them.

SMH. Is that your only ambition in life? No wonder.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 5:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
MissMeiya:

SMH. Is that your only ambition in life? No wonder.

Eer, have we met? undecided
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by anukulapo: 5:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
shelter4luving: Is like out of all the things in the world increasing, the only thing depreciating is LOVE.
when i was a little girl, there's this picture of men i had in my head. i see them as people that are strong, hardworking, brave and people that can defend and protect women. probably all these qualities was meant to be them ,but today, it's difficult to see men with these attribute. what i see now is, different from what i thought.
1. now some men are confidence and bold to publicly tell people how their wife is the bread winner of the family. i even hear this during testimonies in church. oh sorry to say this. if she's the bread winner, please don't expect total respect all the time.
2. Is like all men now want a working, independent woman. so the woman wouldn't depend on them. forgetting that every woman love to depend on his man even if she have the whole money in the world. if a woman cant depend on you, of what use are you to her?
3. a lot of men can actually lie, pretend to love a rich lady just for the sake of her money or fame. that's why you keep seeing advert: ' i want a sugar mummy who can pay' it's disappointing.
4. most men don't even care nor appreciate how the woman manage her time to take care of the children, and still rush home from work to prepare food for the family. rather they keep going around forming Baddest Boy Ever liveth. chasing other ladies and don't even consider how the woman feels. Mr. man, are you not suppose to protect that woman instead of giving her pains and making her cry?

I like the fact that you stated your opinion and observation carefully.

As far as i Know, there are so many factors responsible for the change.

one of it is change itself
The weight of responsibility,
Expectation,
Emasculation,
Gender clash,...

This battle of the sexes, which actually is a war again men being fostered by feminist...it has helped in changing so many things and which leads to some of the things that you have observed.

We hear sayings like "what(ever) a man can do, a woman can do also a woman can do better"

I mean, who will choose good (man) over better (woman)

my Generalization: The woman's desire to be like the man is obvious and not only can she not be,she'll also get to taste what the man is faced with that makes him seem "powerful" and "proud" but i bet she won't do any better.

Some of the points you raise need more comment than the generalization (i made) above but...
BRB.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by mackenzie007(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2014
fuckshit: for real? what we've got here is some serious FÜCKED up shi/t
like your name grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 10, 2014
not interesting in d comments, d op is damn right.case closed

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2014
TV01: Essay time angry!

The way men and women are wired means a woman will naturally seek a mate of higher status. Especially where procreation is a factor. Men are better suited for the purpose of providing and protecting, and woman for nurture – both parties have always tacitly accepted and worked with this paradigm.

On paper it’s easy to talk about “equality”, but it’s more about wiring and roles. Whilst slight tweaking/changes may be fine, reversing the roles in the guise of equality interferes with the dynamic. In practice no woman wants to be with a lower status male and would not knowingly choose one unless circumstances dictated it.

A woman will find it hard to respect - and more importantly be physically attracted to – a man if he fails to demonstrate the appropriate “manly” traits. It’s not about earning per se. Earnings only become an issue if they mean the right dynamic cannot be maintained.

If for example the house hold requirements are say 100K and he earns 80k and she earns 120k, why should there be issues? If he’s working, active, providing & protecting as he should be, the dynamic is maintained - why will there be a problem?

If, on the other hand he earns 25K and she earns 45K if he can’t make-up the difference and more crucially doesn’t make the effort to, it could certainly lead to issues. Likewise if she is providing all they have or need single-handedly.

There could even be issues if he brings in 45K, she brings in 25K and there is a shortfall of 10K. He will be considered responsible for making up the difference, not her. He will be judged as not providing adequately, not her. The expectation to provide adequately is his, not hers.

After all, there are women who will leave a man that solely and adequately provides for another who solely and adequately provides more. And others who will leave a man once he ceases to adequately provide. It's the flip side of men leaving women for more youthfull ones - or acquiring more - when they realise thier resources enable them.

Look at Andy Murray and his “Partner” Kim Sears. What does she do? What does she bring? Financially? Nothing really. And she doesn’t really have to. The right dynamic is maintained if she brings the requisite female qualities – of which provision is all but inconsequential . Would it work in the reverse? Can anyone point to examples of the reverse?

And for any here who are saying they would respect their man if you earned more, would you knowingly seek out a “lower status spouse”, especially if it meant you struggled financially or the financial burden was mainly on you? Even if it only meant you couldn't enjoy the lifestyle you desired? That's mostly a rhetorical question, because we all know the answer to that. But feel free to surprise us.

And for the men that like to agree and form feminist to score brownie points with women. They respond to the manly traits just like all the others. They are more likely to get with the one who demonstrates manly traits and in the unlikely event they do get with you, they won’t be happy. Feminist that marry well are only conceptual ones not practical. Abeg, Loretta, come and testify grin.

TV

Essay indeed!
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
[color=#000000][/color]hnmmmmm
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by fuckshit: 8:12pm On Jul 10, 2014
mackenzie007: like your name grin grin grin grin grin
FÜCKING right! grin
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by vict505(m): 8:21pm On Jul 10, 2014
kalufelix: maybe the bitches want to be with the men for reasons you dont know....

Forget about the financial thingy
You are right.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by vict505(m): 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
softsparkyy:
They always use to be into business.
IMPORTER AND EXPOTER........lol
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by zeongeon: 10:20pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

And you will not teach this values to your niece?
Bukatyne my Niece is a woman so I would teach her what a woman should know and that is the power of influencing, helping and enhancing..The gift God has given to women is d power to Influence, help and enhance...most women haven't acknowledged those gift, some have and are using it positively or negatively.

Power of Influence a woman has that's why where a man will be bounced to ur surprised a woman will be embraced and given a pass.

Power of Influence a woman has made wise king solomon turn away from worshipping God to idols.

Power of influence a woman has will make a man try too look and say his best just to win her heart and if possible spend his money.

Power of influence a woman has will have a man who said A say B d following day.

Power to Help most men just need a good word from a woman to achieve that there destiny.

Power to enhance give a woman sperm she gives u a baby.

Power to enhance give a woman a house she gives u a home.

Power to enhance give a woman love she gives u paradise

Power to enhance give a woman pain she gives u hell.

Power to enhance give a woman money she gives u an Investment.

Therefore I would teach my niece that she has d ability to influence, help and enhance all around her positively..influencing her brothers leadership skills by asking questions, influencing his provision ability by always saying thanking you, being grateful for whatever help rendered no matter how small and also sharing her snacks too for we men too appreciate it when ladies provide too in there own way and then to protect herself by learning to say the word NO.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by bukatyne(f): 10:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
zeongeon: Bukatyne my Niece is a woman so I would teach her what a woman should know and that is the power of influencing, helping and enhancing..The gift God has given to women is d power to Influence, help and enhance...most women haven't acknowledged those gift, some have and are using it positively or negatively.

Power of Influence a woman has that's why where a man will be bounced to ur surprised a woman will be embraced and given a pass.

Power of Influence a woman has made wise king solomon turn away from worshipping God to idols.

Power of influence a woman has will make a man try too look and say his best just to win her heart and if possible spend his money.

Power of influence a woman has will have a man who said A say B d following day.

Power to Help most men just need a good word from a woman to achieve that there destiny.

Power to enhance give a woman sperm she gives u a baby.

Power to enhance give a woman a house she gives u a home.

Power to enhance give a woman love she gives u paradise

Power to enhance give a woman pain she gives u hell.

Power to enhance give a woman money she gives u an Investment.

Therefore I would teach my niece that she has d ability to influence, help and enhance all around her positively..influencing her brothers leadership skills by asking questions, influencing his provision ability by always saying thanking you, being grateful for whatever help rendered no matter how small and also sharing her snacks too for we men too appreciate it when ladies provide too in there own way and then to protect herself by learning to say the word NO.

Ok,, good for you
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

Ok,, good for you

Don't act like it made sense to you tongue

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by anukulapo: 11:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Don't act like it made sense to you tongue

Kai! You mean power to try,she's trying to make him feel good about the whole *#+@?!$ he wrote?
LOL

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 10, 2014
anukulapo:

Kai! You mean power to try,she's trying to make him feel good about the whole *#+@?!$ he wrote?
LOL

Nice of her smiley
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Kanwulia: 2:47am On Jul 11, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:
The Op just wrote two rubbish & one sense!
Point no 1 made sense but get K-leg!
The last points are dry like mad woman's toto!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Otu IBERIBE!!!! grin
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by dunnibaby: 5:38am On Jul 11, 2014

women are helpmate when the man can fund the home that was the reason for the creation but that number 4 men need to change
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 8:55am On Jul 11, 2014
bukatyne: Would get back to you when I gett home

I am mobile

Thought I should share this with you though:

The virtuous woman is what the Proverbs 31 woman is called. She is nothing short of amazing. And she is powerful, economically speaking. The Bible does not mince words in describing her economic ability. This woman "perceiveth that her merchandise is good". She's got everything planned and everyone provided for. Her husband does not lose sleep over the well-being of his household. He is confident in her ability to take care of the house.

But you need to note too that he "is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land". That is a very significant statement. Back in Bible times when this proverb was written, city councils were held at the gates of the city and there were prominent "statesmen" known as the elders of the land whose words were held in high esteem. A council held without them meant very little indeed. And this woman's husband is numbered among them. This tidbit is so important that if you don't get it, you'll ruin the whole economic rights issue.

One example of such a man was Boaz, King David's great-grandfather (Ruth 4:13-17). You'll note that he was a stupendously wealthy man as well as a wise and kind man. You'll need to read the whole book of Ruth (it's a short book of four chapters, never fear) to really get why he is called wise here. Another example was Job whose testimony of himself was that he was a colossus among his people. We all know that Job was the wealthiest man among his people and the most righteous too. Whether he was a fictitious character or not actually doesn't matter, what matters is the concept that people of those times held in their minds about the elders in the gates and Job was wealthy, wise and a defender of the weak (Job 29:7-25). The general characteristics of men who sat in the gates among the elders and were known, that is, respected and held in high esteem, were that they were not men of meagre means; they were wise and they were defenders of the weak.

This is the sort of man to whom the Proverbs 31 woman is seen to be married. Do you see why it makes no sense that increased financial ability for a man should translate into idle consumptiveness for his wife? The Proverbs 31 woman is said to not eat the bread of idleness. She knows how to manage and, wait for it, increase her hubby's wealth.

If you are getting a bit impatient now and wondering where we start talking about rights, hold your horses just a bit longer, please. You see, rights are only one side of a coin whose other side is responsibility. Remove responsibility and it isn't right that we are talking about, it's just abuse.

Having said that, it is obvious that the Bible takes for granted that the woman is free to pursue her economic interests. The thing to note here is that these interests are not in isolation from her responsibilities as the mother of a home and wife of a man. You can see how the two are woven together. The husband's heart "doth safely trust in her". He's not afraid for the condition of the finances of his house. He knows that wifey can handle and is handling them just fine. She's "considering businesses and buying them or into them", she's making good merchandise, she's not wasting time on idle chitchat, rather she's finding new opportunities to expand the family's holdings. In those times of need, she doesn't worry because her house is well provided for. All her work and endeavor ensures that the wealth that her husband brings in is not only put to good use but it is even further increased.

Obviously, this kind of woman would put a lot of the women who rip their homes apart because of a career to shame. This is because she's obvioualy achieving what they want to achieve and keeping her marriage and a sublime home into the bargain.

Yes, the question does arise whether every man can be like the Proverbs 31 man. They sure can but they aren't all like him. Like this amazing Proverbs 31 woman, he too is hard to find. But it takes a man like him for a woman like her to blossom. Consider it, whatever may be said about gender inequality and whatnot, hardly any serious player in any sector of an economy would treat the wife of a powerful man shabbily because she's a woman when she tries to do business with him. She and he are one. You insult her you insult him as well.

Now, of course, women have been told by feminists today that leveraging on your husband is a weak thing to do. Girl power and all that. But the world is in the state of madness that it is today because of the confusion of roles. Feminism pretty much forbids a woman to use a man as a covering in certain situations and in others it insists that the man must be used as a covering. It's a case of schizophrenia. It is wise to pick one and leave the other: either a man is a covering to a woman or he is not. He can't be a covering when it suits her and not a covering when it doesn't.

Hard work and ambition suits women just fine. But according to the Scriptures, they should be tailored to suit her place in the home as wife and mother. And when she is unmarried, she should not be idle either. After all, the man's home is not supposed to be her finishing school. If you remember Rebecca, her industry was the proof that Abraham's servant required to know that she was the one that God had appointed for his master's son. Managing wealth is at least as challenging as making it. And managing it properly will lead to increase in it. Rebecca proved by her industry that she not only understood and respected wealth, she valued it and was driven to maintain it. She did not learn that as Isaac's wife but as Bethuel's daughter (Genesis 24:12-25).

Now there is no doubt that in this world, this current spiritual system, the rule is that the strong consume the weak so generally where men can they may deny a woman the right to develop in economic ability. That is not the way of Christ as we are seeing from the Scriptures. The woman should learn right from her father's house to appreciate wealth, to preserve it and to increase it. If she also learns to make it, no harm is done as long as she understands the separation of roles. For when both man and woman are out making wealth, nobody is building the home and raising the children to follow noble paths. As we see in Proverbs 31, this woman is carrying out commerce that covers large "geographies" but she is still vitally in touch with her home, rising very early to ensure that everyone is provided for. She sees to the needs of her children, the needs of her household staff if she has any and so on.

The woman's ability to successfully multitask is what makes all of that possible. And having a man who prices her as highly as the Proverbs 31 man does means that at the end of a day's work she doesn't feel bitter and drained because he will pamper her and restore her spirits with his sweet attentions.

We have lost a lot from closing our Bibles but in mercy the Lord is opening them up again for us. We can see now that romance can keep burning throughout marriage when roles are recognized, respected and played well. No man with any appreciation for his manly dignity will attempt to stifle the economic growth of his woman and no woman with any love for her womanhood would attempt to compete with the man from whom she derives meaning and security. Also, no man would leave the earth without ensuring properly that his wife will not be exploited in his absence...
www.nairaland.com/1114515/christian-chatbox-sticky/440#24566516

It's a study on Proverbs 31:10-31. I'll edit this post to include the link later.

Edited.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 11, 2014
to ruin your relationship text MIKEL to 3888 , to save your relationship text ENYEAMA to 38888 , to achieve your own goal text YOBO to 3888 .for your free megaBITE text SUAREZ
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by blackbeau1(f): 1:36pm On Jul 11, 2014
We really don't have men anymore. Just boys pretending to be men

2 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by pickabeau1: 1:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
blackbeau1: We really don't have men anymore. Just boys pretending to be men

Do you think we have girls at the same level nowadays, women who left the boys behind or girls pretending to be women also
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by TV01(m): 1:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
blackbeau1: We really don't have men anymore. Just boys pretending to be men
It's a lie.

We have good men and good women. It's a little harder to sort the wheat from the chaff these days. But those who are appreciative of their own worth, place high value on marriage, know what is required to be good spouse, set their expectations correctly and refuse to compromise, are loving the fulfillment marriage brings.

Try and be among wink!

TV

3 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2014

I'm on a 3 weeks bonding leave to help my Wife care for our newborn.

Does this count?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dealing With The Pressures From Married Men / Girl Being Breastfed By Her Mum In Taraba After In Viral Photo Has Died / Couple Welcome Twins After 21 Years Of Marriage (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.