Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

What's Happening To Our Men? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Happening To Our Men? (32497 Views)

If You Use These Back Then And You Are Still Single, What's Happening? / Our Men Are Killing Our Marriage / Are Womem Unrealistic Or Our Men Being Selfish? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by juliebest(f): 10:29am On Jul 10, 2014
5minsmadness: @shelter4luving what is happening to our men? Feminism.
Men are being "feminised" as well. No need anymore to play the strong dependable man, riding on a white horse to save the lady from a dragon. That's sexist. Now the lady is the one who saves herself while the men applaud her for being independent and able to make her own choices.
Gone are the days when men were ashamed to admit their wives were the breadwinners of the family. Now its a thing of pride for a man to fold his legs and proudly state his wife is running the financial affairs of the home, after all, there is equality in the family, no captain no head. Its a TEAM effort and anybody can play any role.

The bitter truth is, no man can take care of a child as well as a woman. Women are naturally endowed to cater for and nourish children both physically and emotionally. The man brings in the discipline and hardiness necessary for the child to grow and survive in a harsh society, the woman brings in the love and softness needed to keep the child decent, sane and human . but now women don't have time to do this and (most?)men know next to nothing about taking care of the kids.

The family unit is under serious threat due to this current trend in role reversal in the name of equality and people will keep painting the problem over to meet their own selfish needs.

Personally I think its all part of the divine plan. Things will deteriorate further and there will be absolute chaos. Then peace will come.
God bless you, well said.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 10:31am On Jul 10, 2014
carefreewannabe:

It is wrong to disrespect a man who is ok with his wife being the breadwinner. And it is wrong to say that a woman likes to depend on a man. I don't.
Well then, it becomes a matter of stubbornness on both sides of the argument, not of correctness. Because it is wrong also to respect a man who is ok with his wife being the breadwinner and wrong to say that a woman should not like to depend on her man. I don't have to explain why. It is enough that I think so just as it is also sufficient for you that you think you're right.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 10, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Madam wannabe, If you want to keep on misreading and over reading meanings in people's posts so some unambitious broke assses can applaud your superwomanliness, good for you girl.

This topic don stale abeg. I'm tired of talking about it.

Cheers!

You are even too lazy to debate. I hope you have enough energy to tell your boyfriend to hunt for some meat while you will take pride in cleaning the bathroom grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Dcmg(m): 10:36am On Jul 10, 2014
Women:You wanted freedom and empowerments,and you got it in droves!The cost,of course,is the demise of the family and a lot more shoveling of your own poo rather than getting a man to do it all for you.The only western men willing to become enslaved to{marry} western women are either desperate or fools.Ya,slaughter me.
Guys:We need to push harder to make sure women are more equally represented.Equality is equality is equality.This means mandatory draft of all girls and women the same age as war drafted-men.
Educating and promoting more female plumbers,carpenters,bricklayers,factory workers and ditch-diggers----not just doctors,lawyers,scientist and CEOs.Also remember that 90% of women marry up,if you'r going to marry make sure she's loaded ,first

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by tyor: 10:44am On Jul 10, 2014
@ ihedinobi,

I can see your point, VERY VALID. However, it would make perfect sense if you could tailor it to our immediate environment. We cannot all follow the Biblical principles you have quoted there (hence, the reason God created Hell).

Now, ignoring Biblical teachings and folklore, THE MAIN REASON WHY AFRICA IS UNDERDEVELOPED IS BECAUSE WE STILL THINK LIKE THE EUROPEAN THOUGHT IN THE 80s. If Nigerian men thinks, the backup measure to ensuring their child does not become Boko Haram, is to have a reliable and working class woman, so be it.

If Nigeria had safety nets, we would not be thinking like that, since the children can depend on the government to provide for them (if their father cant).

NOTE: It is the duty of government to cater for kids, not the parents (all that story about respect is from the religious perspective).
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Dcmg(m): 10:45am On Jul 10, 2014
femcruz: wey tai2 cheesy make he cm finish dis OP, frm the op's side of view it shows dt she wasnt brought up wth money so she had always dreamt dt wen she grow up she will gt a man dt is super rich nd will tender his head to be used Mrg nd Night jst to please her needs but as she grow up she notice say guys don JA! its nw WHAT CAN YOU ALSO OFFER.

OP u compare men of dose days to men of nw, u left out women of dose days. Women of den culd live within dere husband's income, dey didnt nid 5k or 10k b4 dey gt dere hair done. I pity we men alot cos the kind of women we av to put for house in dis present time.

#GOLD.DIGGER
my broda,its not easy o.With time,men will see no need for marriage.Women,they want rights without responsibility.My problem with women is that they always want to eat their cake and have it too.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 10:49am On Jul 10, 2014
@topic: this is what I hold to be true.

Men are primarily responsible for provision. Women are primarily responsible for home care and wealth administration, so to speak.

Men cannot be excused for failing to provide because the economy is hard. Even in the days when economic activity was only hunting and farming, there were difficult periods from time to time. In those times, a woman's ability to manage the wealth that was brought in when times were better and what wealth could be eked out from the hard earth counted tremendously. So, whatever the situation, the manhood of a man is defined by his ability to beat the circumstances and bring home the bacon.

However, the woman has a huge part to play as well. If she is a poor manager, it is obvious that no matter how great the wealth her man can bring in, it will come to nothing in time. If she is not wise in investment, sooner rather than later, a great man will be reduced to rags and a home to penury. No hard times will even be necessary for that to happen.

But if a woman is a good manager, it is obvious that even the little that is brought in will be made not only to go a long way but it will even see possibility of increase in her hands. I read recently on a blog (uchendutalks.com) about a woman who by her prudence helped a man whose career was bound to end up in either economic mediocrity or corruption become a truly wealthy man. She did not become primary provider for that to happen. She was just a very wise manager and a good economic adviser to her man. And from what I have observed, the management of resources seems to be something hardwired into women.

I strongly urge men to tap into their natural resourcefulness and doggedness to become better providers rather than hide behind the faux logic of feminism to fail at their natural duties. And I strongly urge women to learn to become better managers and smarter investors to enable their men dare even more for greater economic heights. The desire to eliminate the normal differences between the male species and the female is not a healthy one.

7 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by JimloveTM(m): 10:50am On Jul 10, 2014
OP, u got point
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Notjustokvideo(m): 10:52am On Jul 10, 2014
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Acidosis(m): 10:52am On Jul 10, 2014
Love has been bastardized and commercialized.

People now apply BRAINS in everything they do; marriage inclusive.

If the word LOVE really exists in a relationship, then the couple should recognize that all they have is from GOD without regards to CHANNEL (hubby or wifey).
Permit me to apply biblical principles here, the same God that blesses the wife can divert the blessings to the husband. But like I said, in a world where BRAINS, SMARTNESS & BSc Economics/Stinginess Rules, people now regard the lower earner as LAZY especially when it involves a man.

Nevertheless, laziness should not be encouraged.

*Before una castigate me for applying GOD'S principle; remember GOD is LOVE smiley
I can also apply the laws of infactuation & admiration grin
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by MrRenaissance: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2014
This Op is everything that is wrong with many Nigerian girls' mentality. The OP is obviously a leech, who doesn't derive joy in being dependent and accountable for herself, financially and otherwise.

I can't believe an educated lady wrote this trash by the OP. Her post is replete with low self-esteem syndrome and dependence mentality. Gosh!! I'm appalled. A lot of ladies are out there struggling and hustling to make their own money and achieve their goals, and the OP is here placing her entire value to dependence on men.

For me, I want to marry an independent lady, working and earning her stripe in her area of expertise. With the harsh economic situations in Nigeria, only an illiterate won't love a well-mannered independent lady.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2014
tyor: @ ihedinobi,

I can see your point, VERY VALID. However, it would make perfect sense if you could tailor it to our immediate environment. We cannot all follow the Biblical principles you have quoted there (hence, the reason God created Hell).

Now, ignoring Biblical teachings and folklore, THE MAIN REASON WHY AFRICA IS UNDERDEVELOPED IS BECAUSE WE STILL THINK LIKE THE EUROPEAN THOUGHT IN THE 80s. If Nigerian men thinks, the backup measure to ensuring their child does not become Boko Haram, is to have a reliable and working class woman, so be it.

If Nigeria had safety nets, we would not be thinking like that, since the children can depend on the government to provide for them (if their father cant).

NOTE: It is the duty of government to cater for kids, not the parents (all that story about respect is from the religious perspective).

Four questions:

1. If it is valid, why can it not be followed?

2. How did you know they were Biblical principles? Did I somehow indicate here that they are?

3. Why should we ignore biblical teachings and folklore? Because you think we should?

4. On what authority or superior argument do you declare kids the responsibility of the government rather than the parents?
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by drealaz24(m): 11:00am On Jul 10, 2014
That is what you get, when you demand Gender Equality
shelter4luving: Is like out of all the things in the world increasing, the only thing depreciating is LOVE.
when i was a little girl, there's this picture of men i had in my head. i see them as people that are strong, hardworking, brave and people that can defend and protect women. probably all these qualities was meant to be them ,but today, it's difficult to see men with these attribute. what i see now is, different from what i thought.
1. now some men are confidence and bold to publicly tell people how their wife is the bread winner of the family. i even hear this during testimonies in church. oh sorry to say this. if she's the bread winner, please don't expect total respect all the time.
2. Is like all men now want a working, independent woman. so the woman wouldn't depend on them. forgetting that every woman love to depend on his man even if she have the whole money in the world. if a woman cant depend on you, of what use are you to her?
3. a lot of men can actually lie, pretend to love a rich lady just for the sake of her money or fame. that's why you keep seeing advert: ' i want a sugar mummy who can pay' it's disappointing.
4. most men don't even care nor appreciate how the woman manage her time to take care of the children, and still rush home from work to prepare food for the family. rather they keep going around forming Baddest Boy Ever liveth. chasing other ladies and don't even consider how the woman feels. Mr. man, are you not suppose to protect that woman instead of giving her pains and making her cry?
Men, please what's up with you?
if you continue this way, our little boys wouldn't learn how to be real men.
please arise and be the real man you were created to be.

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by MrRenaissance: 11:02am On Jul 10, 2014
delishpot:

And what is wrong with that?
everything is wrong with that. For Christ's sake, stop this lazy mentality. Don't teach your children, boy or girl to be dependent on any human. Lord!! Which kind of mentality is this? Damn!! I weep for Nigerian women.sad
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by vislabraye(m): 11:08am On Jul 10, 2014
matify: The woman can be a very enigmatic species to decipher.

Once upon a time, the man had complete control over his enclave to which he bestowed the woman the commander but what did she do?

She craved for the man's office and wanted to explore the man's world. She made advocacy to the high heavens and called the man callous for keeping her subservient to him.

She strove to reverse every word or phrase that had any inkling of masculinity adherent to it e.g. Chairwoman, spokeswoman etc.

She invented a FEMINIST club which had a war chant of " what a man can do, a WOMAN can do better"

Now some men have succumbed to their antic and allowed them to prove their metor but alas they cry blue murder.

What on earth does our women really want?

We love them too much, we are woman wrapper; we are strict, they say we are insensitive; we gladly provide their needs and even wants, they say we inhibit their independence ; we then abdicated our manly office and previleges and KASALA DON SHELE!!!
. I wonder for them Oh. Will all this ranting, wetin she want us to do ? @ Op is one of those women that advocate for role play, but she can't handle the other aspect. Some men want their wives to be full time house wives, but they complain. Now go to work and work, they complain. Wetin man go do
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by MrRenaissance: 11:19am On Jul 10, 2014
Sweetlemon:

100000000000000000000000 gbosas for you my guy!

May God continue to preserve men like you. AMEN!

Don't mind that wannabe. She's trying too hard to prove she's a superwoman.
Carefreewannabe is not trying too hard to prove she's a superwoman, you are the one trying too hard to encourage the archaic mentality imbibed in the average Nigerian girl to be dependent on men. It's a shame that most Nigerian girls think their lives begins and end with men. I'm sure you are a working class lady, earning your salary, and you are here encouraging women to be lazy and cling to men for stability. The OP is nothing but a leech. Omotola earns more than her husband, does it mean she doesn't respect her husband? this is a modern world, a woman can earn more than the man and still respect him!

3 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 11:34am On Jul 10, 2014
MrRenaissance: Carefreewannabe is not trying too hard to prove she's a superwoman, you are the one trying too hard to encourage the archaic mentality imbibed in the average Nigerian girl to be dependent on men. It's a shame that most Nigerian girls think their lives begins and end with men. I'm sure you are a working class lady, earning your salary, and you are here encouraging women to be lazy and cling to men for stability. The OP is nothing but a leech. Omotola earns more than her husband, does it mean she doesn't respect her husband? this is a modern world, a woman can earn more than the man and still respect him!
How is she encouraging women to be lazy and clingy? How do you know that Omotola respects her husband or even really brings in more than he does? Do you live with them? Do they share their financial records with you? Does your wife earn more than you and still respect you?

Let's be careful with assumptions, shall we?

3 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Jman06(m): 11:37am On Jul 10, 2014
Oahray: the woman's rightful place isn't in the kitchen. It's good she works too. However psychological and even physiological differences between men and women, make women better suited to care giving in the family.

Men's traditional role (I'm not talking African culture, but the human race as a whole) as head of the family makes them the default breadwinners. But that is changing, and so must everything related.

Conflicts arise when two members try to assume the same role. It's a given.

The world is changing, let's see where it takes us to. The alarming number of single parent families is just a tip of the scary iceberg.
It's good she works too? And then use her earnings for what? See, let's shun double standards and find a lasting solution to this confusion which our marriage institution in Africa has been drawn into by western influences. Now, let me propose two solutions and leave you to choose between them: 1. That all our girls should be withdrawn from school while only boys should be allowed to go to school. Also, all our women in paid employments be denied their jobs and be sent back to the 'kitchen' where they can only engage in petty trading(if they so wish), while our teaming unemployed young men be given their jobs. And women should derive joy from their roles in the 'kitchen' and not start trying to copy the west. And that any woman who tries to take up a paid job outside petty trading should be jailed for life while the same treatment should be meted out on any man who fails to provide for his family. 2. Let's continue in our new found order where women and men are given equal opportunity in all human endeavors while marriage becomes a partnership whereby both men and women are equal partners and make equal contribution in running the affairs of the family, without any grumbling from either side. And that the bills paid to contract such marriages should be shared equally between the partners. And that under such marriages, women should forever stop complaining that men are no longer their old selves, while men should stop lamenting that women no longer take full responsibility of the 'kitchen', and any partner who asks for extra pecks aside this new arrangement should be jailed for life. So sweetie, can you choose from the above conditions?8-)
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Oahray: 11:40am On Jul 10, 2014
Jman06: It's good she works too? And then use her earnings for what? See, let's shun double standards and find a lasting solution to this confusion which our marriage institution in Africa has been drawn into by western influences. Now, let me propose two solutions and leave you to choose between them: 1. That all our girls should be withdrawn from school while only boys should be allowed to go to school. Also, all our women in paid employments be denied their jobs and be sent back to the 'kitchen' where they can only engage in petty trading(if they so wish), while our teaming unemployed young men be given their jobs. And women should derive joy from their roles in the 'kitchen' and not start trying to copy the west. And that any woman who tries to take up a paid job outside petty trading should be jailed for life while the same treatment should be meted out on any man who fails to provide for his family. 2. Let's continue in our new found order where women and men are given equal opportunity in all human endeavors while marriage becomes a partnership whereby both men and women are equal partners and make equal contribution in running the affairs of the family, without any grumbling from either side. And that the bills paid to contract such marriages should be shared equally between the partners. And that under such marriages, women should forever stop complaining that men are no longer their old selves, while men should stop lamenting that women no longer take full responsibility of the 'kitchen', and any partner who asks for extra pecks aside this new arrangement should be jailed for life. So sweetie, can you choose from the above conditions?8-)
to each one his own. Choose for yourself what you want as long as your partner wants the same. It's not mine to choose for the world.

Don't ever call me sweetie again angry

2 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by bukatyne(f): 11:48am On Jul 10, 2014
ihedinobi2:
How is she encouraging women to be lazy and clingy? How do you know that Omotola respects her husband or even really brings in more than he does? Do you live with them? Do they share their financial records with you? Does your wife earn more than you and still respect you?

Let's be careful with assumptions, shall we?

So basically you do not expect your wife to respect you if she earns more than you?

Interesting

2 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Jman06(m): 11:54am On Jul 10, 2014
Oahray: to each one his own. Choose for yourself what you want as long as your partner wants the same. It's not mine to choose for the world.

Don't ever call me sweetie again angry
lol @don't ever call me sweetie again. Like i care?! See, i only use that word 'sweetie' in a sarcastic way on nairaland. So, don't even start giving yourself false hope over something that can never be yours.8-)
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by MrRenaissance: 11:55am On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

So basically you do not expect your wife to respect you if she earns more than you?

Interesting
I didn't even bother to reply him, it's a waste of time. Many women earn more than their husband, and their marriages are still intact. I wonder how earning more than a man means the man shouldn't be respected. I blame the sick mentality our Nigerian parents used in raising our men and women up. I don't see why my future wife (I'm not married, forget my moniker) won't respect me if she earns more than me. That she earns more me doesn't make me less of a human or prone to her insults. If my future wife doesn't respect me as I respect her, no matter who earns higher, I'll divorce her if she can't change her attitude.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ceaser: 11:56am On Jul 10, 2014
matify: The woman can be a very enigmatic species to decipher.

Once upon a time, the man had complete control over his enclave to which he bestowed the woman the commander but what did she do?

She craved for the man's office and wanted to explore the man's world. She made advocacy to the high heavens and called the man callous for keeping her subservient to him.

She strove to reverse every word or phrase that had any inkling of masculinity adherent to it e.g. Chairwoman, spokeswoman etc.

She invented a FEMINIST club which had a war chant of " what a man can do, a WOMAN can do better"

Now some men have succumbed to their antic and allowed them to prove their metor but alas they cry blue murder.

What on earth does our women really want?

We love them too much, we are woman wrapper; we are strict, they say we are insensitive; we gladly provide their needs and even wants, they say we inhibit their independence ; we then abdicated our manly office and previleges and KASALA DON SHELE!!!

2 Likes

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 10, 2014
Not every silly thing should get to the frontpage... Arrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! NAIRALAND undecided
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by pickabeau1: 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
MrRenaissance: I didn't even bother to reply him, it's a waste of time. Many women earn more than their husband, and their marriages are still intact. I wonder how earning more than a man means the man shouldn't be respected. I blame the sick mentality our Nigerian parents used in raising our men and women up. I don't see why my future wife (I'm not married, forget my moniker) won't respect me if she earns more than me. That she earns more me doesn't make me less of a human or prone to her insults. If my future wife doesn't respect me as I respect her, no matter who earns higher, I'll divorce her if she can't change her attitude.

Expectation and reality tend to be different things.. I noticed you used the word intact... being whole is not the same as wholeness

In your opinion, what is the reality of the marriage dynamic where women earned more than the husband
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by martineverest(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
I thought women are calling for gender equality.family bill and everything should be shared equally...so,why complaining
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 12:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

Interesting
Like I said to him, be careful with your assumptions. I asked him that question as a way to ascertain how he knows that any wife who earns more than her husband continues to respect him anyway. It was not the declaration of any kind of opinion.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
Jman06: lol @don't ever call me sweetie again. Like i care?! See, i only use that word 'sweetie' in a sarcastic way on nairaland. So, don't even start giving yourself false hope over something that can never be yours.8-)

Eer, he's sort of a dude, you know. embarassed
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by ihedinobi2: 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2014
MrRenaissance: I didn't even bother to reply him, it's a waste of time. Many women earn more than their husband, and their marriages are still intact. I wonder how earning more than a man means the man shouldn't be respected. I blame the sick mentality our Nigerian parents used in raising our men and women up. I don't see why my future wife (I'm not married, forget my moniker) won't respect me if she earns more than me. That she earns more me doesn't make me less of a human or prone to her insults. If my future wife doesn't respect me as I respect her, no matter who earns higher, I'll divorce her if she can't change her attitude.
In other words, you're full of assumptions, suppositions and fantasies not facts and figures. You need the latter to be convincing not the former.

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2014
carefreewannabe: I just read the first few lines and it made me SCREAM:

PLEASE, TALK FOR YOURSELF AND YOURSELF ONLY.

I do not like to depend on anyone AND there is nothing wrong with a man being confident enough to say that his wife is the breadwinner if the situation and circumstances require it or if the couple wants to have it this way.

Times 100. Speak for yourself OP. The only man I will ever depend on is my father, and even then, I'm getting too old for that.

Are you a girl or a woman?

1 Like

Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by Jman06(m): 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
ihedinobi2:

Eer, he's sort of a dude, you know. embarassed
Ooh! My bad! I mistook him for a certain girl here. Thanks for the information.
Re: What's Happening To Our Men? by vicadex07(m): 12:22pm On Jul 10, 2014
egopersonified: op, if only by the several threads we had seen b4 the nl tsunami, it is very clear that men have actually turned to the babies they are called. you ve said the truth but it doesnt apply to all cases.
Your moniker says it all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Appreciation With Sex. Men Why? / Girl Being Breastfed By Her Mum In Taraba After In Viral Photo Has Died / Dealing With The Pressures From Married Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.