Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. (18338 Views)

NMA To End Strike Soon! / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / FG Begs To NMA To Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by adeoladrg(m): 8:12pm On Jul 11, 2014
The Federal Government on Friday in Abuja challenged striking Doctors under the aegis of Nigerian Medical Association to a “high-powered debate” before the public on the contentious issues concerning the alleged breach of agreement which led to the ongoing nationwide strike.

The government which stated that it has intensified serious surveillance in the nation’s borders and points of entry to check influx of migrants having the dreaded Ebola virus, also said it had fulfilled its own part of the bargain by 100 per cent and wondered why the NMA leadership would still be flexing muscles after signing a Memorandum of Understanding.

The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, stated this in an interview with journalists during the signing of $15 million agreement with Norwegian government which was offered to Nigeria for the upscaling of Maternal and Child Health.

He said, “The update on the strike is that they (NMA) have signed the second MoU with us on July 3. For two times now, they have said they would call off the strike; they have signed. I don’t know, when someone gives you a cheque, you are expected to go and cash your money."

When asked if government had truly fulfilled its part of the bargain, he replied, “absolutely, 100 percent absolutely and that is why I said we should have a high-powered debate before the Nigerian public. Let each side state what their issues are, let’s take it one by one. I am assuring Nigerians that as their Minister of Health, on my honour, the Federal Government, led by President Goodluck Jonathan has done what it ought to do.

“That is why they signed an MoU. Why will you sign an MoU when you are not satisfied with the negotiation? These two negotiations took place for over 24 hours; that is a whole day without sleep.”

Chukwu also spoke on efforts being put in place by government towards containing the dreaded Ebola virus.

He said, “In the case of Nigeria, we are carrying out surveillance through our Port Health Services at the point of entry. You know, again, because of the way Nigerian land borders are, sometimes you do have leakages where people just walk across through unauthorized border areas.

“We are trying to see how we will be working with other agencies because we can’t do it alone. We need to work with the Ministry of Agriculture which is currently monitoring the migrant populace. You know people migrate from one reason or the other; they are already monitoring some of them, especially those who are nomad pastoralists.

“We need to work with the Ministry of Interior in terms of checking our borders. What we do is that we watch out for people coming in from these areas, especially people who are travelling from Central Africa. When they come into Nigeria, we need to ensure that we monitor and track them to ensure that even when they have fever, we’ll now make sure that it’s fever and nothing else.”

www.punchng.com/news/fg-challenges-nma-to-public-debate/

2 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by adeoladrg(m): 8:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
I remember Dr Kayode Obembe narrowly missed the last interview by channels TV. Cmon public debate is best.

We also agree that the govt has not funded the health sector well enough and this cuts across all sectors. So doctors coming here to blackmail the govt is just cheap pretence and struggle for public sympathy! C'mon accept the challenge and let us move from here!

9 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by tpia1: 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2014
when did debating become the main issue here?

7 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
Wow, tell me something I don't know.
Things are getting interesting. A debate.. good.
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by prettyprettywow: 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
They will not want to debate. That's how Omembe missed the channels interview with other health workers last week. Let them come out and trash this issue once and for all.

12 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by adeoladrg(m): 9:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
prettyprettywow: They will not want to debate. That's how Obembe missed the channels interview with other health workers today. Let them come out and trash this issue once and for all.

Cowardice at its Zenith!!

2 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by psychologist(m): 10:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
Gud evening mr chairman
Panel of judges
Accurate time keeper
My co senators
Distinguished ladies and gentle
M psychologist destined by name,

Am here dis evening to support the motion that says Teachers are better than Doctors...

Looks left looks right
runs off thread grin

51 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2014
Let JOHESU be part of that debate, i'll personally pay my widow's mite to represent JOHESU.
Nigerians need to know a lot, our people always overlook the goings-on in the health sector, they believe it's none of their business until they fall sick or suffer an ailment.

15 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by englishmart(m): 10:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
Those papas want to make me remember my primary school days. Agadi n'akpo Anu nta-nta
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by englishmart(m): 10:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
I can debate too
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Lordabas: 10:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
FG and NMA biko nu, you guys should reach a compromise asap, our health sector can't be neglected for even a min, people are dying oh!

4 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
Wait wait
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by seanet02: 10:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
Same way GEJ honoured the Channels TV presidential debate. Hypocrites

10 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by ideycraze: 10:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
A public debate would not in any way solve the problem. The Minister, NMA and possibly JOHESU should sit down and rub minds together to proffer solution to the problem at hand..

4 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by toluxa1(m): 10:24pm On Jul 11, 2014
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by vicadex07(m): 10:24pm On Jul 11, 2014
Great...let this happen. Will be watching in 3d
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 11, 2014
lmao

this guy sounds like he is just playing politics with lives of Nigerians. I don't want to believe that the doctors are irrational and that they just don't want to work after signing MOU. something is just not right.

12 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Leopantro: 10:27pm On Jul 11, 2014
but, sir, did you not say that the strike would be called off on Monday? did you lie about that sir? and you said second MoU, what happened to the first, sir?

you know, it's funny. my house is on fire. the fire service have arrived to put out the fire. we start a debate on how much water should be used while my family is inside the burning house.

7 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by sonofaGod: 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
FOOLS,keep dispaying arrogance and animosity towards doctors till u will require doctors services to save your lives or that of your loved ones one day.that's when u will recognise their importance in society.there is a good reason y doctors are leaving this countries in droves more than benin gals are going to italy because society has failed to give them their dues even though d same society expects so much from them

13 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Superstar007(m): 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
Wonderful!

1 Like

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by adeoladrg(m): 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
YourHealthlabs: Let JOHESU be part of that debate, i'll personally pay my widow's mite to represent JOHESU.
Nigerians need to know a lot, our people always overlook the goings-on in the health sector, they believe it's none of their business until they fall sick or suffer an ailment.

Everyone would surely be represented.. The public debate is long overdue.

5 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Afrocatalyst: 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
Na wa o. Our government challenging a group for a debate? That's like Nigeria producing the first man to go to mars.
Impossible.
A govt that detests debate like cancer.
Something fishy is smelling and the FG feels they've got an upper hand.
Hmmm...

7 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by adeoladrg(m): 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
sonofaGod: FOOLS,keep dispaying arrogance and animosity towards doctors till u will require doctors services to save your lives or that of your loved ones one day.that's when u will recognise their importance in society.there is a good reason y doctors are leaving this countries in droves more than benin gals are going to italy because society has failed to give them their dues even though d same society expects so much from them

You fools also display ignorance and hate towards other health professionals. And until you begin to see healthcare as a teamwork model and stop seeing the hospital as ur palace, there won't be peace.

49 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by DocAdray(f): 10:30pm On Jul 11, 2014
Interesting.
Events are still un-folding...
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by bercarray(m): 10:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
so na debatin remain make dem dey do now abi?
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by adeoladrg(m): 10:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
Afrocatalyst: Na wa o. Our government challenging a group for a debate? That's like Nigeria producing the first man to go to mars.
Impossible.
A govt that detests debate like cancer.
Something fishy is smelling and the FG feels they've got an upper hand.
Hmmm...

That idea actually came from their fellow colleague, Prof Chukwu. He knows what obtains and is ready to challenge them, do you have a problem with that?

6 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Smartsyn(m): 10:32pm On Jul 11, 2014
OK but they would shy away from presidential debates during elections..

Izzorait..

4 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by kennydee05(m): 10:32pm On Jul 11, 2014
Federal Government should also be ready for public debate with Polytechnic Lecturers.

10 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Godsun2013(m): 10:32pm On Jul 11, 2014
PDP AT WORK..
Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by youngdoctor(m): 10:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
As a doctor..i can tel yu ds FG is schizophrenic...we ve made a mistake electing ds bastards.
Ok,wat do dey expct frm d debate...we call of d strike?IMPOSSICANT..dey re jst making us feel more special and needed..
1).poly guys on strike
2).college of edu.guys on strike.
3).no intrvention into O.A.U's mata.
4).Chibok girls ve bn frgotten.
5)football has bn banned.
6).me nd ma colleagues and seniors on strike.
7)total blackout here in akure.
Nd yu cal ds a government...i laff in physics....F*ckd up pipu..shioor

9 Likes

Re: FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. by Godsun2013(m): 10:33pm On Jul 11, 2014
PDP[center][/center]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Can I Cure Clipper Bumps / My Phobia Story / Kerosene Explosion Kills Four Family Members In Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.