Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,558 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles (3881 Views)

Catholic Priests Dance With Masquerade At An Event In Nnewi, Anambra / Catholic Priests That Changed The World / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2014
Pope Francis has been quoted as saying that reliable data indicates that "about 2%" of clergy in the Catholic Church are paedophiles.

The Pope said that abuse of children was like "leprosy" infecting the Church, according to the Italian La Repubblica newspaper.

He vowed to "confront it with the severity it demands".

But a Vatican spokesman said the quotes in the newspaper did not correspond to Pope Francis's exact words.

The BBC's David Willey in Rome says there is often a studied ambiguity in Pope Francis' off-the-cuff statements.

He wants to show a more compassionate attitude towards Church teaching than his predecessors, but this can sometimes cause consternation among his media advisers, our correspondent adds.

Anger at Vatican
In the interview, Pope Francis was quoted as saying that the 2% estimate came from advisers. It would represent around 8,000 priests out of a global number of about 414,000.

While the incidence of paedophilia in the general population is not accurately known, some estimates have put it at less than five percent.

"Among the 2% who are paedophiles are priests, bishops and cardinals. Others, more numerous, know but keep quiet. They punish without giving the reason," Pope Francis was quoted as saying.

"I find this state of affairs intolerable," he went on.

Above the interview La Repubblica ran the headline: "Pope says: Like Jesus, I shall use a stick against paedophile priests."

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi denied that Pope Francis had said that there were cardinals who were paedophiles.

Last year Pope Francis strengthened the Vatican's laws against child abuse and earlier this month begged forgiveness from the victims of sexual abuse by priests, at his first meeting with victims since his election.

Many survivors of abuse by priests are angry at what they see as the Vatican's failure to punish senior officials who have been accused of covering up scandals.

Asked in the same La Repubblica interview about the celibacy rule for priests, Pope Francis recalled that it was adopted 900 years after the death of Jesus Christ and pointed out that the Eastern Catholic Church allows its priests to marry.

"The problem certainly exists but it is not on a large scale. It will need time but the solutions are there and I will find them."

Father Lombardi also denied that these were the Pope's exact words.

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
He said he'll "confront it with the severity it demands". grin
I hear he wants to reinstitute marriage of clergy.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by plaetton: 3:44pm On Jul 13, 2014
That number is far greater if you include Africa and Latin America, where cases are not reported because of social taboos.
Considering that the Catholic church is 2000yrs old, do the math and imagine how many children have been molested over the ages.

Also, it quite disingenuous for the Pope talk about it as an infection,, something new or odd.
Frankly , pedophilia seems more like a priestly tradition among the various Catholic orders. It is a rite of passage for many.

7 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
plaetton: That number is far greater if you include Africa and Latin America, where cases are not reported because of social taboos.
Considering that the Catholic church is 2000yrs old, do the math and imagine how many children have been molested over the ages.

Also, it quite disingenuous for the Pope talk about it as an infection,, something new or odd.
Frankly pedophilia is a priestly tradition among the various Catholic orders. It is a rite of passage for many.
Lmao at the bolded. grin
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by italo: 7:17pm On Jul 13, 2014
...because the Catholic Church is tackling its problem.

Who will tell us the rate of paedophilia among Atheists?

Who will tell us the total number of Atheist paedophiles in the world?

Who will tell us how many children have been molested by Atheists all through history?

3 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by isisnofret: 7:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
It is not only in the catholic church look at Uk

they have at the moment a big problem with this in the goverment!!!!!
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by italo: 7:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
^^^

Leave those haters to be fooling themselves. They're attacking the Catholic Church that is fighting it's problem when the rate of paedophilia outside the Church is even worse and largely unchecked.

2 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 13, 2014
italo: ...because the Catholic Church is tackling its problem.

Who will tell us how many children have been molested by Atheists all through history?

LMFAO.
"We are not the only ones doing it, so it is not wrong" grin

2 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 13, 2014
italo: ^^^

Leave those haters to be fooling themselves. They're attacking the Catholic Church that is fighting it's problem when the rate of paedophilia outside the Church is even worse and largely unchecked.
Fighting which problem? What they've tried extensively - - and failed woefully - - to sweep under the carpet? grin

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by TheBigUrban2: 7:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
italo: ...because the Catholic Church is tackling its problem.

You should be ashamed of yourself

If you were a catholic spokesman, you would have been ridiculed tirelessly and embarrassed if you made this comment on tv

Seriously, what do atheists have to do with catholic molestation? Two wrongs make a right? smh

4 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
JUSTICE & MERCY
This is all I ask a Catholic

2 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by TheBigUrban2: 8:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
MOBJECTIVE: JUSTICE & MERCY ON THE LITTLE BOYS' ASSES
This is all I ask a Catholic

grin grin

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

grin grin

when you think of what you have written, you'll find it's nothing to laugh about.

I pray that the victims have Justice, the guilty priests be shown Mercy, onlookers refrain from judging and God renew his entire church (Catholic and non-Catholic) once again.

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 9:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

when you think of what you have written, you'll find it's nothing to laugh about.

I pray that the victims have Justice, the guilty priests be shown Mercy, onlookers refrain from judging and God renew his entire church (Catholic and non-Catholic) once again.

Why would a singular god have more than one church with contradictory dogma?

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
mmsen:

Why would a singular god have more than one church with contradictory dogma?

Why would one man have two Sons with differing opinions? Talk less of God.

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 9:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Why would one man have two Sons with differing opinions? Talk less of God.

So god intentionally sowed seeds of confusion so as to elicit hatred and warfare?

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
mmsen:

So god intentionally sowed seeds of confusion so as to elicit hatred and warfare?

man allowed that himself.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 9:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

man allowed that himself.

So god created the environment, gave contradictory messages, gave man his own penchance for anger but it's all man's fault...

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Ubenedictus(m): 11:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
The media is at it again, why not report his exact words?

Anyway, the world's population has a 5% or more pedophiles, if the catholic priesthood have about 2% as the media seem to claim, then it seems the incidence of pedophilia is much reduced in the church.

While i wait clarification of what was really said, i hope this crime on the innocents be treated with all the severity it deserves. May criminals posing as God's representative never have access to children, may all pedo be removed from positions of trust and authority, may God bring true healing to the victims, never again, never again.

1 Like

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by TheBigUrban2: 11:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
Ubenedictus: The media is at it again, why not report his exact words?

Anyway, the world's population has a 5% or more pedophiles, if the catholic priesthood have about 2% as the media seem to claim, then it seems the incidence of pedophilia is much reduced in the church.

While i wait clarification of what was really said, i hope this crime on the innocents be treated with all the severity it deserves. May criminals posing as God's representative never have access to children, may all pedo be removed from positions of trust and authority, may God bring true healing to the victims, never again, never again.

First of all, two wrongs do not make a right and secondly, it would only make sense to compare the perencentage of pedophiles in catholic churches to another organisation eg secondary schools, baptist churches etc.

Now for justice, we have seen how the catholic church covered up and protected pedophile priests....then you were here doing your own cover up.

So please, do us a favour and keep quiet

3 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
mmsen:

So god created the environment, gave contradictory messages, gave man his own penchance for anger but it's all man's fault...

Man gave himself contradictory messages and acted on his own anger or cravings. It's useless to blame God for the different views of thought which separate us.

If I were an atheist, it would be like blaming my mother for such things as : the differences I have with my brother, knowingly falsifying truth, or wrongdoings which I commit all according to my free will. We are solely to blame for our sufferings.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 11:47pm On Jul 13, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Man gave himself contradictory messages and acted on his own anger or cravings. It's useless to blame God for the different views of thought which separate us.

If I were an atheist, it would be like blaming my mother for such things as : the differences I have with my brother, knowingly falsifying truth, or wrongdoings which I commit all according to my free will. We are solely to blame for our sufferings.

You are the one claiming that your god has more than one church, with competing doctrine. I only followed your claim to its logical conclusion by adding in the other ill-fitting elements of xtian doctrine.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 13, 2014
mmsen:

You are the one claiming that your god has more than one church, with competing doctrine. I only followed your claim to its logical conclusion by adding in the other ill-fitting elements of xtian doctrine.

Fortunately, I never claimed this. God has one church, in the basic meaning of the word; the people. When I pray for renewal in his church (catholic and non-catholic), I am praying for renewal and unity amongst his people, in all facets of their lives where unity is needed. Whether it's doctrine, law, sense of right or wrong, absence of war or conflict, etc. irrespective of their belief in him or not.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 12:11am On Jul 14, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Fortunately, I never claimed this. God has one church, in the basic meaning of the word; the people. When I pray for renewal in his church (catholic and non-catholic), I am praying for renewal and unity amongst his people, in all facets of their lives where unity is needed. Whether it's doctrine, law, sense of right or wrong, absence of war or conflict, etc. irrespective of their belief in him or not.

Wow, so dishonest.

You mentioned one god having more than one church - "his church" (catholic and non-catholic). Again, they are not the same - millions of people in Europe have been slaughtered because of the difference in dogma.

It doesn't surprise me that an organisation with such a penchant for misdirection and ambiguity would create followers so unclear in their thinking and expression.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 14, 2014
mmsen:

Wow, so dishonest.

"In all facets of their lives where unity is needed" - lol...

It doesn't surprise me that an organisation with such a penchant for misdirection and ambiguity would create followers so unclear in their thinking and expression.

Your disdain is understandable and expected, and is also a good reason for my prayer.

"In all facets of their lives where unit is needed"

I phrased this as it is in relection of the very fact that we're having this conversation. I can't pray for unity in everything, as it's impossible, and thankfully so. For us to be united with the mindsets of paedophiles and still be able to see right from wrong is one instance.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by mmsen: 12:25am On Jul 14, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Your disdain is understandable and expected, and is also a good reason for my prayer.

"In all facets of their lives where unit is needed"

I phrased this as it is in relection of the very fact that we're having this conversation. I can't pray for unity in everything, as it's impossible, and thankfully so. For us to be united with the mindsets of paedophiles and still be able to see right from wrong is one instance.

You talk like a Nigerian politician:

A poor grasp of the English language allied with an inherent dishonesty.

Enjoy your lies.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Ubenedictus(m): 12:33am On Jul 14, 2014
If this below is an attempt to bully me or misrepresent me then you certainly failed. Read with your head and eyes and if you see anything that is irrational or unobjective in my post then point it out.
TheBigUrban2:

First of all, two wrongs do not make a right
ignoratio elenchi, i never said that two wrongs makes a right, i never implied that priests are excused because others do it. Instead i compared statistic, if the general population has 5 percent and the present very bad situation in the church is about 2 percent. So compared to the general population the present very bad situation in the church is less by 3percent. I didn't say it was good, right or beautiful or excusable, i say/said the comparism of the statistics is this.
and secondly, it would only make sense to compare the perencentage of pedophiles in catholic churches to another organisation eg secondary schools, baptist churches etc.
you don't want me to do that! The highest percentage of pedophilia occurs with close family, the next highest percentage is the teachers, then the couches. I do not wish to make excuses for anyone dear, but you certainly don't want me to compare the priests to the teachers.

Now for justice, we have seen how the catholic church covered up and protected pedophile priests....then you were here doing your own cover up.

So please, do us a favour and keep quiet
this is me been polite.

You do not even have the right to dictate when i should speak or not! You are not the boss of me, and if you were you still wont have the right to tell me when or when not to speak. I am repectful and i respect your freedom of speech, it is only right, infact if you aren't a bigot it is necessary that you respect mine too.

The catholic church is a billion big, and consist of both the living and the "good dead" of milleniums, and those great number of people couldn't all be guilty of aiding and abeting pedophiles intentionally. While some in places of authority in the church may be blamed for many acts and or omission whether intentional or unintentional which may aided or protected pedophile (and hoping they face the laws of both men and God) that still doesn't give you a foot hold to stand and accuse the "catholic church". The catholic church isn't some few men dressed in red. Overgeneralisation is an offensive fallacy.

Now have a nice day and i hope next time you won't attempt to infringe upon another person freedom of speech.

2 Likes

Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 14, 2014
mmsen:

You mentioned one god having more than one church - "his church" (catholic and non-catholic). Again, they are not the same - millions of people in Europe have been slaughtered because of the difference in dogma.

millions of people in Europe have been slaughtered because of the difference in dogma.

If you know this, then you should understand my prayer.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by TheBigUrban2: 12:52am On Jul 14, 2014
Ubenedictus: If this below is an attempt to bully me or misrepresent me then you certainly failed. Read with your head and eyes and if you see anything that is irrational or unobjective in my post then point it out.
ignoratio elenchi, i never said that two wrongs makes a right, i never implied that priests are excused because others do it. Instead i compared statistic, if the general population has 5 percent and the present very bad situation in the church is about 2 percent. So compared to the general population the present very bad situation in the church is less by 3percent. I didn't say it was good, right or beautiful or excusable, i say/said the comparism of the statistics is this.
you don't want me to do that! The highest percentage of pedophilia occurs with close family, the next highest percentage is the teachers, then the couches. I do not wish to make excuses for anyone dear, but you certainly don't want me to compare the priests to the teachers.

this is me been polite.

You do not even have the right to dictate when i should speak or not! You are not the boss of me, and if you were you still wont have the right to tell me when or when not to speak. I am repectful and i respect your freedom of speech, it is only right, infact if you aren't a bigot it is necessary that you respect mine too.

The catholic church is a billion big, and consist of both the living and the "good dead" of milleniums, and those great number of people couldn't all be guilty of aiding and abeting pedophiles intentionally. While some in places of authority in the church may be blamed for many acts and or omission whether intentional or unintentional which may aided or protected pedophile (and hoping they face the laws of both men and God) that still doesn't give you a foot hold to stand and accuse the "catholic church". The catholic church isn't some few men dressed in red. Overgeneralisation is an offensive fallacy.

Now have a nice day and i hope next time you won't attempt to infringe upon another person freedom of speech.

Bros...no vex...

kai...this guy finish me grin grin grin
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Nobody: 12:55am On Jul 14, 2014
mmsen:

You talk like a Nigerian politician:

A poor grasp of the English language allied with an inherent dishonesty.

Enjoy your lies.

If you say so, but i'm surprised at how quickly the discussion degenerated simply because of a misunderstanding of the meaning of (catholic & non-catholic)
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by Ubenedictus(m): 1:15am On Jul 14, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Bros...no vex...

kai...this guy finish me grin grin grin
i never vex, at least not yet.

E b like say u reari no like this catholic church. I think i see u for d euthanasia thread.
Re: 8000 Catholic Priests Are Paedophiles by TheBigUrban2: 1:20am On Jul 14, 2014
Ubenedictus: i never vex, at least not yet.

E b like say u reari no like this catholic church. I think i see u for d euthanasia thread.

Sleep dey my eye.....I will reply you later on that thread

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can God Forgive Satan Or Can Satan Ask For Forgiveness? / TRUTH: Did Paul Say Women Should Remain Quiet In Church?? / Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.