Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? (16639 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by snowland(m): 5:25am On Jul 21, 2014
I heard something from my sister back then that if I woman is in her periods, she must not prepare Moin Moin. It was/is believed that if she does, the Moin Moin no go ever done. Women, shey na true?.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:26am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
Meaning she can't even use a Vib.RA.tor?? O boy I fear ur villa oh!
V.ibrators are not allowed in my village. If you vibrate, the whole village boys will vibrate your household out of the village.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Zizicardo(f): 5:27am On Jul 21, 2014
i don't know of any taboo in my village. But i follow d one in my HOLY QUR'AN

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:27am On Jul 21, 2014
U can't take rice from poliTHIEFcians or else na diarrhea!

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
Vibrators are not allowed in my village. If you vibrate, the whole village boys will vibrate your household out of the village.
Na waa oh! Violation of privacy***

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:30am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
Na waa oh! Violation of privacy***
privacy is not even allowed in my village. Why do you want privacy? So that you can commit heinous acts? Hell to the NO

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:31am On Jul 21, 2014
Tallesty1: Married women no dey bleep outside marriage, the punishment is instant death, madness or mysterious ailment.
Can married men Bleep outside marriage?

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
privacy is not even allowed in my village. Why do you want privacy? So that you can commit heinous acts? Hell to the NO
Ok Wait! I no won understand u again oh! Privacy not allowed?? If u dey Bleep ur wife, the whole villa must gather to watch? U got me ***confused***

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:35am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
Ok Wait! I no won understand u again oh! Privacy not allowed?? If u dey Bleep ur wife, the whole villa must gather to watch? U got me ***confused***
Bleeping of wives is not allowed in my villa. We only sleep with our wives not bleep. You bleep your wife, you'll get bleeped up and it will hurt soo bad.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 5:37am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
Bleeping of wives is not allowed in my villa. We only sleep with our wives not bleep. You bleep your wife, you'll get bleeped up and it will hurt soo bad.
I know you're joking grin
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:38am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
Bleep vs Sleep! Cld u pls enlighten us?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:39am On Jul 21, 2014
CFCfan:
I know you're joking grin
Oh yea! He is joking!
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by victorazy(m): 5:40am On Jul 21, 2014
Tannie:

Op I'm an Ikwerre girl, I've not hear of the bolded before. The taboos I've heard of are "Female dogs are not allowed in my community (dont know if its applicable to other parts of Ikwerre) and its forbidden for a guy to use walking stick when he's dad is still alive".

Me I from Ikwerre too Woji but live in Abj
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by walearoy(m): 5:42am On Jul 21, 2014
[quote author=]

Op I'm an Ikwerre girl, I've not hear of the bolded before. The taboos I've heard of are "Female dogs are not allowed in my community (dont know if its applicable to other parts of Ikwerre) and its forbidden for a guy to use walking stick when he's dad is still alive". [/quote]

She's done it on the floor
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:42am On Jul 21, 2014
victorazy:

Wetin concern us if u dey live for Abj? Na taboo dem ask nor be where u dey live. Comprehension level tho*

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by victorazy(m): 5:44am On Jul 21, 2014
Yomieluv: I don't live my life on man made law,I live it the way I like,with restriction I created myself,not by anybody,or god that has ceased to exist for a very long time.

Maybe u came to this world by ursef
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:48am On Jul 21, 2014
victorazy:

I thought you were Igbo.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 5:51am On Jul 21, 2014
it is an unwritten taboo to make money and not show your villa guy the way.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:54am On Jul 21, 2014
Crixie: Killing non poisonous snakes....
are u from idemmili?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:55am On Jul 21, 2014
it is a taboo for a girl to ask her boyfriend for money.
it is a taboo! deadly taboo.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Yusluv77(m): 5:57am On Jul 21, 2014
In my village, if everywhere were in darkness and Nepa or Phcn restored the light, nobody must stand up to plug anything until it's up to 15min or so bcuz dat person may quickly die from heart attack or BP.. #gbam

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by englishmart(m): 6:06am On Jul 21, 2014
1. Sleeping with another persons wife
Penalty is (I don't know)
2. Staying at home while others are in school (students only)
penalty!
(The community will force you to school and sponsor you through school.

3 toasting my girlfriend
penalty!
I go nak you something.
Finally. Don't frequent my house! Because my sisters are miss Nigeria materials
Penalty
I will personally hand you over to the police and put multiple charges against you.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 21, 2014
snowland: I heard something from my sister back then that if I woman is in her periods, she must not prepare Moin Moin. It was/is believed that if she does, the Moin Moin no go ever done. Women, shey na true?.

true
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 6:33am On Jul 21, 2014
I'm happy there are no Taboos in my villa, whenever we go there during xmas or for other things....we just do anyhow. Nobody has ever told us one thing or the other is forbidden
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by kristylopezz: 6:35am On Jul 21, 2014
In my villa; God's Kingdom in Heaven State,

IT IS A BIG TABOO TO LIE!
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by KOOLGIANT: 6:48am On Jul 21, 2014
In my place its a taboo for a visitor to ask for pillow. You'll wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on a python. Pls where r u from

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by bropeee(m): 6:51am On Jul 21, 2014
JohnnyNY: A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake and often accompanied with threat of supernatural punishment.
In ikwerre land, in Rivers state, it is a taboo to have sex on the floor. And it is also forbidden for a woman whose husband is still alive to eat with a knife.
In Osogbo, Osun State, it is a taboo to sit on mortar. Anyone who sits on it will not be able to stand up again again for the rest of his or her life.
I remember then my mum would tell me that, if I should look at the mirror while rain is falling and the thunder should strike I will fall dead. Well till now I've not tried it though.
So peeps what are some taboo you know of?

Dude, most of the examples you gave here are myths not taboos. Taboo is seen as a crime against the land and most times the offender is meant to appease the land (in whatever form) or be punished.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by bropeee(m): 6:55am On Jul 21, 2014
Adeoba10: You must not whistle while going to the river, or else different snakes will attack you.
This is a myth not a taboo.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by sylve11: 6:58am On Jul 21, 2014
taboo ? cool
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by lonelydora: 7:13am On Jul 21, 2014
Na wa oh. i will comment later
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by RebelLeader15(m): 7:16am On Jul 21, 2014
In Abraka delta state, its a taboo to kill a squirrel, then in Orogun, it s also a taboo to kill an alligator they regard them as der ancestors

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today / Do African's Love Asian People? / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.