Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? (16640 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by RebelLeader15(m): 7:19am On Jul 21, 2014
englishmart: 1. Sleeping with another persons wife
Penalty is (I don't know)
2. Staying at home while others are in school (students only)
penalty!
(The community will force you to school and sponsor you through school.

3 toasting my girlfriend
penalty!
I go nak you something.
Finally. Don't frequent my house! Because my sisters are miss Nigeria materials
Penalty
I will personally hand you over to the police and put multiple charges against you.
Beautiful nonsense

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 21, 2014
victorazy:

Maybe u came to this world by ursef
you follow am come before??
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tallesty1(m): 7:24am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
Can married men Bleep outside marriage?
There is a price to pay.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Adeoba10(m): 7:27am On Jul 21, 2014
bropeee:
... Chooi!!! U don follow me reach my village b4? If I tell u say we no dey drink table water for our village, u go talk say we no civilized
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by petkoffDrake(m): 7:29am On Jul 21, 2014
1. u must not steal. 2. u must not commit adultery. 3. u must not worship anoda god. 4. u must b ur brothers keeper or striker..

e.t.c..... signing out
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by INNARMORATA: 7:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Tallesty1: Married women no dey bleep outside marriage, the punishment is instant death, madness or mysterious ailment.

Whr r u 4rm? Kz is d Same wif whr i came 4rm
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by timpaker(m): 7:30am On Jul 21, 2014
You mustn't cry on your wedding day..if you do, your marriage is set for doom You mustn't sleep with your wife with condom...if you do, the gods will give you useless and troublesome children............... Do not receive gift from a titled man (Emir) with your left hand for you'd be struck with leprosy if you do so
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Kayendy(m): 7:30am On Jul 21, 2014
It's a taboo to sleep with anoda man if u r married(ladies though)na death except u go for cleansing.
u don't catch any fish in d stream or u loose ur children.. If u do it by mistake return the fish while it is still alive or I pity ir children both the unborn ones
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tallesty1(m): 7:33am On Jul 21, 2014
INNARMORATA:
Whr r u 4rm? Kz is d Same wif whr i came 4rm
NSK
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by anitank(f): 7:40am On Jul 21, 2014
Tannie:

Op I'm an Ikwerre girl, I've not hear of the bolded before. The taboos I've heard of are "Female dogs are not allowed in my community (dont know if its applicable to other parts of Ikwerre) and its forbidden for a guy to use walking stick when he's dad is still alive".
Are you sure you know about ur traditions?

I schooled in Uniport and lived in choba for about 5years. We non-indegenes all know about that "taboo" .. though some of us cared less
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by myspnigeria: 7:41am On Jul 21, 2014
None that I know of
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 21, 2014
Well, talking about taboos in my village, it depends on the family. when I say family, I mean extend kinsmen. Every family have there own taboo ranging from norms to totem animals.
*It is a taboo to kill fish from a particular river. If any does, a member from the family that has fishes from that river as their totem will DIE.
* It is a taboo for a married woman to sleep with another man when her husband is still alive.
* It is a taboo to uproot someones plant, no mater the circumstances surrounding the land. so aplies to demolishing a building house.
*It is a taboo to kill, poison or swear.
*It is a taboo to kill a particular kind of green snake. Its always slender, shinny and beautiful, it is called 'obi nwa anyanwu' meaning obi, the son/daughter of anyanwa. As you know anyawu is a god in igbo land. This snake is usually not harmful, if u dnt like the snake, u drive it away by pouring water, but not by killing. Anyone who kills the snake must burry the snake observing the full normal tradition of burying a grown man in the village or else he/she shall DIE.
There are many others, but I cant remember again.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by anitank(f): 7:42am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva: In my village, it's a taboo is sleep with someone's wife.
This one doesnt need to be a taboo na, it's common sense grin grin
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 7:42am On Jul 21, 2014
Prowizy2: In my place its a taboo for a visitor to ask for pillow. You'll wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on a python
You must be from Nembe in Bayelsa State then...
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 7:44am On Jul 21, 2014
anitank:
This one doesnt need to be a taboo na, it's common sense grin grin
If it is then how come people still sleep with other people's wives? grin
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by anitank(f): 7:44am On Jul 21, 2014
It's a taboo in my village to eat ogbono soup, you'll drown in the village river anytime you go there. The 'river goddess' forbids it. You'll find ogbono leaves growing all around the river, but they never drop into the river.

But guess what? Ogbono is my Family's favourite soup cheesy
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by anitank(f): 7:44am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
If it is then how come people still sleep with other people's wives? grin
because they don't have sense na grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 21, 2014
______
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 7:45am On Jul 21, 2014
anitank:
because they don't have sense na grin
if the sense was common, would they be doing it?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by anitank(f): 7:51am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
if the sense was common, would they be doing it?
Yes smiley
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by victorazy(m): 7:52am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
Wetin concern us if u dey live for Abj? Na taboo dem ask nor be where u dey live. Comprehension level tho*

grin bros!
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Meziem1010(m): 7:54am On Jul 21, 2014
In ngor okpuala, u dont kill or chase a lion away when seen around. they believe its their fore fathers and that it wont harm u. there also, u dont sleep with a new mat unless u burn the edges with fire, else u will change to a lion while sleeping. in itu mbaise, u dont kill or eat a dove. they believe it was a messenger of help during war
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by victorazy(m): 7:54am On Jul 21, 2014
patrickdarlins: you follow am come before??

No be ppl bring him here?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by victorazy(m): 7:56am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
I thought you were Igbo.

Afam rapu ife a!
Gov Amechi from Igbo?
President Ebele nko?
grin
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by deavicky(m): 7:57am On Jul 21, 2014
Smoking cigar
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Emma8043(m): 8:06am On Jul 21, 2014
Youngreinhard: kissI dont even know my village...
Ur a gooner
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by victorazy(m): 8:08am On Jul 21, 2014
patrickdarlins: you follow am come before??

You can't comprehend common english bros!
Did I said came alone? Rather "came by urself" don't you know is 2 diff things?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by komek(m): 8:10am On Jul 21, 2014
Most of these taboo issue, na scam joor. I have tried one and nothing happened. That was about 12yrs ago. I don't believe those things. I guess those Taboo nonsense was to instil discipline and morals into the pple of our community in the old days where they where no laws.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Smartsyn(m): 8:12am On Jul 21, 2014
in my Villa,it's a taboo for a lady on her period to go to the village stream...

but no be wetin them ajebutter ask you when the come back during the festive periods...
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Gynacologist(m): 8:14am On Jul 21, 2014
Youngreinhard: kissI dont even know my village...
u fo real?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Gynacologist(m): 8:16am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater: For my place ehn! It's a taboo for a guy to visit ashawo joint
y?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Gynacologist(m): 8:18am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
So, how's that a taboo if she go finally open leg again?
u nd widow?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today / Do African's Love Asian People? / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.