Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? (3890 Views)

Is This Type Of Compensation Religiously Allowed? / Mega Church Pastors That Fell For Adultery / Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 12:24am On Jul 23, 2014
Kay17: @italo

But faith can not be used to test the truthfulness or falsehood of an idea or thought

What can be used to test it?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:27am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

Of course.

There's no human without faith. It just depends who or what you have faith in...and the extent of faith one has.

Christians have faith in Jesus.

Wives have faith in husbands.

Children have faith in parents.

Students have faith in teachers.

Many have faith in scientists.

smiley

What a load of nonsense.
if xtians have faith in jesus, why do they go to hospitals?
my wife has no faith in me and I definitely have no faith in my parents.
I hated my teachers and unless I verify something, I don't believe scientists.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 12:31am On Jul 23, 2014
mmsen:

When you make claims for that which you have no proof then you are lying to the world and probably yourself.

There's proof.

You just prefer to die in ignorance...than research the truth.

Lourdes Medical Bureau is looking for the most Atheist of scientists.

Have you made any effort?

The tilma has been found to have human properties by Atheist opthalmologists.

You...you're just a loud-mouthed olodo behind a keyboard.

smiley
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Weah96: 12:35am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

Many.

E.g St. Clare of Montefalco, St. Catherine of Bologna etc

Are you saying that they lived for centuries? Or just their corpses?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 12:36am On Jul 23, 2014
macof:

Incorruptible grin grin

Yh we would research a baby produced without sperm

Any sensible person can see from your comments how Christianity is strictly against logic

What is beyond research, lazy bone?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by texanomaly(f): 12:41am On Jul 23, 2014
Kay17: Let's all start from a common ground - the place of faith in Christianity/Islam - Faith is definitely the life of Christianity, there is no Christian without Faith, right?

You have been fixated on faith lately. What's the draw? What are you fishing for exactly? What is it you are in search of where faith is concerned?

You've brought it up a few times lately in more than one thread. I would like to know what is driving you to ask about it. You obviously know the definition. You know it is a huge part of many religions. What exactly are you after that has not been said before?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 12:41am On Jul 23, 2014
Weah96:

Are you saying that they lived for centuries? Or just their corpses?

Read what it means to be "incorruptible."

How hard is that?

It seems all you Atheists here do is talk ignorantly. You don't want to learn a thing.
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by texanomaly(f): 12:42am On Jul 23, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

Not Satanism. The only religion based on logic.

Hahahahahahahahaha

So it's illogical to believe in a Christian god but it's logical to believe Satan.
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by texanomaly(f): 12:43am On Jul 23, 2014
mazaje:

What is the reason and purpose of human existence?. . . .

I'm curious to know if you think there is a purpose. If so...what do you think it is? If not...why not?

mazaje:

All these things happen only in fictitious stories NOT in reality. . .

What exactly is the "reality" that is this life?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by texanomaly(f): 12:44am On Jul 23, 2014
Onyegecha: I believe in God. I also believe in miracles because the world itself is a miracle. What i don't get is why any group of people should colonize God and make Him their exclusive property. We don't know His (or her) name or character beyond what nature tells us, yet we tear each other up over unfounded beliefs based on some ancient writs. This would not be the case if we all could subject everything we are told in our various temples to the test of common sense and logicality.

Who is this God you speak of? Where does he/she come from? How do you know this person/entity?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:46am On Jul 23, 2014
texanomaly:

Hahahahahahahahaha

So it's illogical to believe in a Christian god but it's logical to believe Satan.

religion, not god.
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Weah96: 12:47am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

Read what it means to be "incorruptible."

The word is self explanatory, the context is unintelligible. Humans beings don't live for centuries. What the hell are you talking about?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 12:48am On Jul 23, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

What a load of nonsense.

So you verified that your parents conceived you...

You believe there's Antarctica. You've been there?

Faith in Jesus doesn't exclude using the means Jesus has given us to take care of ourselves.

Pls let me talk to Kay.

He seems to be the only Atheist who uses his brain.

smiley
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 12:53am On Jul 23, 2014
Weah96:

The word is self explanatory, the context is unintelligible. Humans beings don't live for centuries. What the hell are you talking about?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:54am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

So you verified that your parents conceived you... yes

You believe there's Antarctica. You've been there? no, but it's very possible

Faith in Jesus doesn't exclude using the means Jesus has given us to take care of ourselves. just like the faithless

Pls let me talk to Kay.

He seems to be the only Atheist who uses his brain. O-Kay

smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 23, 2014
Onyegecha: We were created to be logical beings. That is what distinguishes us from other animals we call lower beings. We apply logic and common sense in everything we do but when it comes to religion, we are told to keep logic out of it. Is that not why the entire religious world is in chaos?

I really do like your point. We are meant to use logic,which is why we are differnt from other animals. At least those who use logic are the ones helping us survive this harsh planet. I cannot name anything useful religion and faith have achieved. He who fails to use logic is dead.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

There's proof.

smiley

I must confess you are one of the worst minds to have ever walked on the surface of this planet. The more i read your comment,the more i see a reason to cheris a brain.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 1:01am On Jul 23, 2014
ifeness:
I really do like your point. We are meant to use logic,which is why we are differnt from other animals. At least those who use logic are the ones helping us survive this harsh planet. I cannot name anything useful religion and faith have achieved. He who fails to use logic is dead.

One thing.

Catholicism practically invented science and built the civilization you now enjoy.

grin
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

One thing.

Catholicism practically invented science and built the civilization you now enjoy.

grin

pffff!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by italo: 1:04am On Jul 23, 2014
ifeness:

I must confess you are one of the worst minds to have ever walked on the surface of this planet. The more i read your comment,the more i see a reason to cheris a brain.

Lol...empty.

Next time, say something.

The nothing you said above does not negate that there's hard evidence for miracles.

I know that makes you mad.

grin
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by texanomaly(f): 1:10am On Jul 23, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

religion, not god.

Ok
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by texanomaly(f): 1:23am On Jul 23, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

What a load of nonsense.

@the bolded

I'm so sorry Alfa.
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by paxonel(m): 1:33am On Jul 23, 2014
Onyegecha: We were created to be logical beings. That is what distinguishes us from other animals we call lower beings. We apply logic and common sense in everything we do but when it comes to religion, we are told to keep logic out of it. Is that not why the entire religious world is in chaos?
I think the Bible is very logical in all ramifications that is why it is difficult for African pastors to understand Bible leading to chaos everywhere in Christianity and Nigeria in general. I want to say it here clearly that it is not all aspect of the Bible that logical reasoning is not needed. It is not needed to understand spiritual aspect of the Bible but only faith is needed But when it comes to the physical aspect my dear,you can't throw away logical reasoning.Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3:12
If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
so you must understand physical(earthly ) things first before you even think of understanding spiritual(heavenly) things and to understand physical things, logical reasoning is required.
Is it law of identity you can't find in Bible which states that an object is nothing but that object (eg, John 1:1 clearly establlish the identity of Jesus that he is God saying In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God) or law of non contradiction which states that a statement A should not contradict another statement B (eg, the saying that Abraham was not justified into eternal life by works in Romans 4:2 do not contradict the saying that Abraham was justified by works in James 2:21 because Romans was talking about justification into eternal life which is salvation through christ while James was talking about justification of our works here on earth,bad or good ) or is it law of excluded middle you don't find in Bible which states that the existence of an object A do not prevent another object B to exist independently (eg, John 3:6 which. says That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.) name it
the Bible which is not a spirit because we can see it, touch it, read it and understand it just like any other book (if you and your pastor can't understand Bible does not mean that it takes some spiritual inspiration from God to understand it because some people are understanding it. all heads are not equal )There is no fallacies in the Bible ! not one single fallacy is found in the Bible, it's amazing. (Nigerian pastors are full of non sequito in their speeches all of them. the Bible is very discrete,irrational in it approach and very objective yet Nigerian christians choose to be foolish, white men are not foolish like that.
my advice to Nigerian christians is if we want to move this nation forward we must not abandon education. our problem is always this attitude on the side of our 100 level undergraduates. they abandoned their general study texts after passing the exams thinking the text is not important in their life again. they even throw the book away. it is very bad. it is causing problem in this country especially in the religious world

1 Like

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Weah96: 1:45am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility

Do you believe that nonsense?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by Nobody: 3:04am On Jul 23, 2014

created by what and how? I beg your pardon but that line in highlights flies in the face of the atheistic theory of how man evolved. According to pseudo-science, man and everything else on the planets were "created" by random, illogical mutational arrangements... so how come we suddenly developed the ability to reason in the midst of such thoughtless chaos?
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by mazaje1: 4:09am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

The article saying nothing against my points.

Point out the lie.

grin

You are just a liar, didn't you see where it says most of the people were already on medication even when there at Lourdes so that disentangling its impact from the Lourdes effect is also increasingly difficult. . . .That alone says everything about the jargon you have been saying. . .
Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by mazaje1: 4:17am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

The article corroborates my points.

That no miracle is approved without being rigorously scrutinized by scientists and declared to have defied scientific explanation by them.

Nothing I said is misleading or false.

It's just driving the devil in you crazy that there's hard evidence for miracles.

grin

Hard evidence for Miracles you said. . .More from the article. .

" Of course, better tools also help to rule out one of the biggest problems in determining whether a cure surpasses medical expectation: misdiagnosis. A sudden cure from a malignant tumour might seem less miraculous if it turns out to be an abscess instead. New radiological instruments, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), are particularly welcome. Indeed, the most recent cure to be declared “medically unexplainable”—a Frenchman paralysed with multiple sclerosis who was suddenly able to move after praying at Lourdes—was a difficult case for the medical committee to judge since there was no MRI (which the committee used in the 1990s to confirm his cure) prior to his self-declared recovery in 1987. His diagnosis was based only on symptoms, which are open to misinterpretation. In the end, the committee decided to pass his case on to the diocesan bishop, in Angoulême, who avoided the m-word, declaring his sudden and complete recovery “a personal gift from God and a sign of Christ the Saviour through the intercession of Our Lady of Lourdes.”

Most of the claims were actually from many many years ago, when medical science had not really advanced. . .

The articles concludes with this. . .

"Meanwhile, some scientists are concerned that the procedures used to assess miracles are a misuse of scientific methods. Others, less harshly, point out that what science has revealed about the inner workings of the cell would have seemed fantastic even a century ago; nature is, arguably, miraculous in itself. Researchers now know, for example, that certain genes switching on and off can cause spontaneous elimination of cancerous cells. But what suddenly initiates this process remains unknown. To the faithful, the trigger may as well be God.

Regardless of the sophistication of the medicine that the Church brings to the study of miracles, they remain, in the final analysis, a spiritual rather than a scientific matter. There is enough clarity in the miraculous to satisfy believers—and enough obscurity to satisfy sceptics."

Again where is the hard evidence of miracles that you keep crying about?. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by mazaje1: 4:26am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

There's proof.

smiley

Its a ruse cos the doctors are running away from Lourdes. . .

Now, Dr. Patrick Theiller, the secretary of the International Medical Committee of Lourdes, has announced that the panel will no longer be in the “miracle” business. “It’s a sort of rebellion, if you will, against laws that don’t concern us—and shouldn’t,” Theiller told the Associated Press’ Jamey Keaten (for an article published December 3, 2008). He added, “The medical corps must be independent of the ecclesiastic power.” The bishop of the local diocese did acknowledge: “It seems ‘miracle’ may not be the right word to use anymore. It’s no longer a black-and-white question.”

Now, appropriately, the church will be left to decide on so-called miracles; the panel will only indicate whether cases are “remarkable.” And remarkable healings can happen to anyone, independent of religious shrines and supposedly magical water. The $400 million that enrich Lourdes annually could be better spent on medical science than on superstitious beliefs from an earlier time.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/lourdes_medical_bureau_rebels/

1 Like

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by mmsen: 8:05am On Jul 23, 2014
italo:

There's proof.

smiley

Did these people discount the other possible, more likely, factors?

Did they turn their backs on modern medicine entirely? Would any rational person do that?

P. S.
I don't know what an olodo is. Please use English or Latin, the language of your overlords.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by mazaje1: 8:13am On Jul 23, 2014
mmsen:

Did these people discount the other possible, more likely factors?

Did they turn their backs on modern medicine entirely? Would any rational person do that?

P. S.
I don't know what an olodo is. Please use English or Latin, the language of your overlords.

The article my economist magazine said most of them were already on medication even when at Lourdes. . .So I wonder why he keeps talking about a miracle. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:59am On Jul 23, 2014
texanomaly:

@the bolded

I'm so sorry Alfa.

please don't be.
how do you think we lasted together all these years?
faith is so overated.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Logic Not Allowed In The Mega Religions Of The World? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:10am On Jul 23, 2014
mmsen:

P. S.

There is no English or Latin equivalent for the word "olodo". You have to see one to understand it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christians, I Have A Problem / This Current Life We Are Living Is The Predestined Eternity Of The Bible / Nigerian 'paganism' Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.