Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,518 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank (17963 Views)

71% Anambra People Are Poor, Says Igbuzor / Nigeria Is Rich, But Nigerians Are Poor, EU Tells Buhari / Boko Haram Not Poor, Says CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by saints2(f): 8:12am On Jul 23, 2014
Its either World Bank is misinformed or NBS is citing rubbish, take a walk to Oshodi, Ijora, Idumota, Obalende all in Lagos or come to Ipata in Ilorin, Ganmo and its environs you won't know when you will shed tears, Nigerians are suffering, we need more, all these statistics are propaganda

4 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by tomiobj(m): 8:14am On Jul 23, 2014
Ozin:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/only-a-third-of-nigerians-are-poor-says-world-bank/184323/
story forr the godsssssss

Soooo lonnnnggggggggggg and u xpect us to read all this. Abeg shorten it and hide the copy and paste
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Aspireahead(m): 8:15am On Jul 23, 2014
kennygee: Lies.
when did they start lying? Cuz...I saw you celebrating their last report that put over 70% of Nigerians in the poverty bracket

4 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by datguru: 8:16am On Jul 23, 2014
Gej till 2080

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by MadCow1: 8:16am On Jul 23, 2014
I can agree that the North is the poorest sha.. But I doubt the West is that far behind.

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by G12(m): 8:16am On Jul 23, 2014
The only poor people when dey this country na the lazy ones. Anyhow anyhow, everybody dey try to make am one way or the other.

The girl roasting corn at my junction makes nothing less than 1k in the evening, my neighbour wen dey make hair for her frontage, dey kolect her akpalakpala too. Even children wen dey sell sachet water.

4 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
English pls.. grin
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by blackfase(m): 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
I always wonder how they arrive at their numbers & stats. Fraudulent lying bast**ds.

BrAkingNews: world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Timaya will be hawking
plantain in
traffic...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Mode9 will be a bouncer
in parties...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Wizkid will still be in
SS3...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Iyanya will be a weight
lifter...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, don Jazzy will be a drug
dealer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, ice prince and MI will still
be in jos facing
Boko haram
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, P-square will be dancing
break dance in
weddings..
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Davido will still be
writting Waec...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olamide will be picking
pocket...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Muna will remain in
modeling...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Lagbaja will be a native
doctor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Tiwa savage will be
ash*...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Ty Bello will be a
photographer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, wande coal will be
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, terry G will b a bus
conductor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, 9ice will be a yoruba
teacher
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Steel would have been a
photographer.
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Danfo Drivers would have
been a bus
driver,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olu maintain would have
been working in
a cyber cafe,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Nigga raw would have
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Oritse femi would have
been selling
phones at computer village,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, D'banj would have gone
for talent hunt
alone nd played his hopeless mouth organ,
If not 4 music..phyno wud av bin an igbo
teacher
If not for music,fella 4 be native doctor or
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by HFOG(f): 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
Na dem sabi. It's survival of the fittest here. No bi statistics we go chop. Everyone needs to wake up and cater for himself and his household. And if God favour you pass, you fit add your community join.

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
Noctec: As in 1/3? You mean 100 million people are comfortable?
I can't assure you that they are comfortable, but I can categorically tell you that they don't go to bed hungry.

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by megabyte2(f): 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
Really
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Charbless(m): 8:17am On Jul 23, 2014
Thank God am not in d 33.1% ooh. Worldbank deceiving pple since 1904
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by UrbanMystique: 8:18am On Jul 23, 2014
IjogzK: I use to laugh when people say the quote "When over half of Nigerians go to bed hungry" it is so absurd to say that. Most Nigerians do not go to bed hungry. It's virtually impossible to go hungry self. Most Yoruba would most likely resort to extortion either by the road side or omo-onile, Ibo's would always see someone from the East to accommodate them while they learn trade and gain their freedom, while Broke Hausa or Northern peeps would always turn to a corner of the road side to beg.

Everybody gets hooked up somehow, Yahoo boys are Yahooing, Ritualist are busy killing, Robbers are Robbing, Police n LASTMA keeps extorting while the new set of law enforcers "SARS" are busy scamming Fraudsters aka Yahoo boys instead of arresting them.
you started your comment well but ended it with crap..
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 23, 2014
It is much lower than that, Nigerians are not poor
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by davidif: 8:19am On Jul 23, 2014
liberty300: I have been saying this. How can a population claiming to be poor be buying rolex watches, drinking more of champagne and driving d most expensive cars and private jets in Africa?

Uhm... i believe that is called income inequality amigo. You know, that whole thing about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer?

3 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by PrinxArthur1(m): 8:19am On Jul 23, 2014
how can a poor person that lives on $1 per day buy #100 credit on almost on a daily basis, buy 1 cup foreign rice #80, save up to buy android phone,buy kerosene for #160 per litre,buy firewood for #300 per bunch,eat three or two meals a day?

10 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by UrbanMystique: 8:24am On Jul 23, 2014
But we seriously need to do something about northern Nigeria.

Nigeria still has high polio cases all thanks to North
Nigeria is terrorist state thanks to North.
High poverty North..
Nothing good ever comes out of North except dangote..

North is really dragging the country backward.

Lord luggard but why?

3 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 23, 2014
Y'all aren't getting it right. What does it mean to be poor We talk about poverty, and you mention "agberos" in lagos. Niggas that earn money regularly, getting high... I always knew the other report was prepostrous. Pragmatically speaking, majority of the poor people are beggars, and most are from the north, hence this report. Nigerians view an average man without a car, or can only afford a meal or 2 per day, as being poor...NO...y'all should leave nigeria, get down to afghanistan, pakistan, somali and the rest, and see how poverty is...

5 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by zicoraads: 8:26am On Jul 23, 2014
I had this same argument with some colleagues in the office and am going to share what I said on that day. I was in my village sometime back and I stayed for 3days. The first day I got there I ate pounded yam with bush rat soup. The yam was gotten from the farm, the rat was caught in the bush, tomatoes and pepper, backyard. Now the only ingredient bought was salt and maggi.

I also ate rice and vegetaables, boiled yam and pounded groundnuts and even beans. All of these are being planted by my village peeps. They hardly spend on food. And yet, they eat well and healthy. Sometimes, even more than me.

Now in reaching these statistics, the World Bank also takes into cognizance people living in rural areas and how much they spend. Now my question has always been, just because my village people hardly spends a dollar per day, does that make them poor?

And as for the people who have continued to erroneously sight the number of people that went for the failed NIS apptitude test as a representation of poverty in the country, I can boldly say that about 50 percent of those that went for that test had one thing or another doing. They weren't poor. A security man where I work also died.

I am not saying this country is doing great, but we are not as bad as some people would want to believe. Personally, I see World Bank rankings the same as FIFA rankings.

8 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by uzolexis(f): 8:26am On Jul 23, 2014
Fellow Nigerians what should we do about Northern Nigeria
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by hayoakins(m): 8:27am On Jul 23, 2014
only 1/3

I laugh in Spanish
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by harffie(m): 8:30am On Jul 23, 2014
Gee001: Northerners are just killing the country's reputation. Always!
hmm! They have been lacking aπϑ lagging as far as I could remember! I don't know why!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 23, 2014
Aspireahead:
when did they start lying? Cuz...I saw you celebrating their last report that put over 70% of Nigerians in the poverty bracket

Moi?

Check again please.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Eldavido1: 8:32am On Jul 23, 2014
Mods why is a similar thread created by me since yesterday that has reach 2 pages moved to business section while this thread created this morning left in politics sections and also moved to front page immediately! Please I need clarification seun.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by megabyte2(f): 8:34am On Jul 23, 2014
[quote author=BrAkingNews]world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
plantain in
traffic...
in parties...
SS3...
lifter...
dealer...
be in jos facing
Boko haram
break dance in
weddings..
writting Waec...
pocket...
modeling...
doctor...
ash*...
photographer...
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
conductor...
teacher
photographer.
been a bus
driver,
been working in
a cyber cafe,
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
been selling
for talent hunt
teacher
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.[/quote grin grin
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 23, 2014
Nigerian Mentality: I no get motor, I never build house, I no de collect 100k, I de wear one shoe everyday, I never go silverbird go watch film before, I never chop salad, infact na 101 I de do therefore I be poor person! Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by boujaye: 8:34am On Jul 23, 2014
BrAkingNews: world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
plantain in
traffic...
in parties...
SS3...
lifter...
dealer...
be in jos facing
Boko haram
break dance in
weddings..
writting Waec...
pocket...
modeling...
doctor...
ash*...
photographer...
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
conductor...
teacher
photographer.
been a bus
driver,
been working in
a cyber cafe,
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
been selling
for talent hunt
teacher
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.
you get time o, you don dey work?
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by nerodenero: 8:35am On Jul 23, 2014
The reason I get so angry when I see my tribesmen align with them and making them feel too important.The north has been the reason of our underdevelopment since 1960.
UrbanMystique: But we seriously need to do something about northern Nigeria.

Nigeria still has high polio cases all thanks to North
Nigeria is terrorist state thanks to North.
High poverty North..
Nothing good ever comes out of North except dangote..

North is really dragging the country backward.

Lord luggard but why?
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by flinton(m): 8:39am On Jul 23, 2014
I fink reverse should be the case "Only A Third of Nigerians are Rich"
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by uzolexis(f): 8:44am On Jul 23, 2014
flinton: I fink reverse should be the case "Only A Third of Nigerians are Rich"

What is ur definition of poverty?? They are talking about those below the poverty line i.e those that spend less than 1 dollar a day,many Nigerians esp in d south do not fall into that category angry
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:45am On Jul 23, 2014
Kudos to Ngozi okonjo iweala, our finance minister for scientifically manipulating the data. Could it be that included in the data analysiS is what people say and claim by faith

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by greaterlove(m): 8:46am On Jul 23, 2014
I have said it before on this forum that the report that 3 out of every 4 Nigerian is living on less than $1 is false. Common sense and imagination should tell you the kind of chaos that would be on the streets if that was true.
I agree there is poverty in naija and I also agree that most of our state governors are not doing enough to reduce it but it being about 62% is a lie.
I can bet you that poverty will fall below 20% in a space of 3-4yrs if we shift some of our attention on the federal government to the state and local governments. Until we reliase that these two tier of government have the most power to upgrade the living standard of the people , until then we all will be going in circles in our fight in improving the living standard of Nigerians.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Northern Elders Beg Buhari, Governors To Stop Harassment Of Fulanis, Cows / EndSARS: Engage Youths To Avoid Protests - Buhari Tells Women / EndSARS: Nigerian Youths Do Not Begin, End In Lagos - Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.