Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank (17954 Views)

71% Anambra People Are Poor, Says Igbuzor / Nigeria Is Rich, But Nigerians Are Poor, EU Tells Buhari / Boko Haram Not Poor, Says CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by tuffgongjo(m): 10:06am On Jul 23, 2014
liberty300: I have been saying this. How can a population claiming to be poor be buying rolex watches, drinking more of champagne and driving d most expensive cars and private jets in Africa?

Thank you GEJ.
I know apc would find something mean to saying so as to discredit this...enemies of Nigeria.
and what is the percentage of those doing the above listed things?
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by jericco1(m): 10:09am On Jul 23, 2014
And these as$-sucking Harams are still increasing that negative stat. it doesn't bode well for the northern states. Duh
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by tuffgongjo(m): 10:10am On Jul 23, 2014
datguru: Gej till 2080
wake up from your nightmare.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 23, 2014
The north has been pulling Nigeria back since 1800 sad

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by tuffgongjo(m): 10:20am On Jul 23, 2014
MadCow1: I can agree that the North is the poorest sha.. But I doubt the West is that far behind.
truth be told naija is poor.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by akymme(m): 10:38am On Jul 23, 2014
Go to the following areas in lagos alone, then come back here and tell me if world bank's stat are right
1. Makoko
2. The interior of okokomaiko
3. Epe
4. Bariga
5. Amukoko etc
You will shed tears for men like you, eating doesn't mean you are ok, eating what you want, when you want means you ok. You see people stealing billions, tell me what will be left for the masses, what is the ratio of employed people to unemployed people, some of us call petty trading employment, are these traders too not entitled to life, luxury and fun ?
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by sunnyprof: 10:42am On Jul 23, 2014
>>>Only a third of Nigeria is POOR..... MORE in the NORTH.....

>>> would suggest that the unemployment rate in Nigeria is less than 10 per cent compared to the 25 percent figure by the NBS.

>>>"This masks the critical problem in Nigeria of underemployment. Most Nigerians cannot afford not to work, but a large share of the population is engaged in low productivity and low paying tasks."

With the above extracts, it means there is hope in Nigeria...these facts seems to be true, but are Nigerians not groaning?

Are we really happy?

Its not that we wouldn't have been contented with our little and work our growth from there, but the agony, pain and fangs that usually accompany our views with ill-gotten wealth being displayed flagrantly and the wealthy being worshipped is discouraging to those who are hardworking and also pile the pressure to want to belong to the rich group. A seeming display of affluence creates so much ripples in our society today.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Decibel: 10:44am On Jul 23, 2014
World Bank and their Mischievous Statistics;Trying to paint the North black. Is not the same North that has been feeding the Nation since time immemorial? angry Well I'm not in the best position to counter their dubious claim until I hear from National Bereau of Statistics; though the populace can do the debate on this very ascertion. Patiently waiting for Liar Mohammed take on this World/Hired PR led Government tongue
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by overhypedsteve(m): 10:46am On Jul 23, 2014
MadCow1:

I agree..

Especially for Lagos. Na lagos wey I see person wey ehn Car fine pass ehn house. grin

thank you, thats the main problem. We tend to put some other things above basic needs, believe me an average nigerian cannot stand d ash economy of somalia, mali, niger, them go run come back, come dey tell their peeps say wen i was abroad things were different, sometimes the people we even call poor in naija spend way above the 10 dollars per day, for food and transport
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 23, 2014
[size=13pt]I dont know their defination of poverty, but life in the north is another level of poor. Which is UN Nigerian. Our definitiin of poverty is comparing our comfort to our potential; Are we seeing the benefits of the Nations wealth?? The answer is NO, it has always been this way. And we wont settle for less anymore, we deserve to enjoy as Nigerians. Cant compare us to chad, we are worth more.

Poor rich nation i guess
[/size]
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 23, 2014
Gee001: Northerners are just killing the country's reputation. Always!

Of course they are! as a matter of fact once all the north is nuked or something the rest of the country will be like Utopia because they're so pure and great or whatever huh undecided
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Jman06(m): 10:55am On Jul 23, 2014
uzolexis: Fellow Nigerians what should we do about Northern Nigeria
Those guys up north need emancipation from mental slavery. I mean, they need WESTERN EDUCATION not even Islamic education. An average northerner needs a mind of his/her own, that would mark the beginning of their liberation from poverty.

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by successking: 10:57am On Jul 23, 2014
Good news
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by EliteYouth: 11:14am On Jul 23, 2014
Its so funny when the US says something negative about Nigeria or GEJ people applaud them but now World Bank has started this, APC their clueless crew are still faulting their report.

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by 0nyegame(m): 11:15am On Jul 23, 2014
Noctec: As in 1/3? You mean 100 million people are comfortable?
My brother ask them o.....
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 11:18am On Jul 23, 2014
BrAkingNews: world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Timaya will be hawking
plantain in
traffic...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Mode9 will be a bouncer
in parties...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Wizkid will still be in
SS3...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Iyanya will be a weight
lifter...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, don Jazzy will be a drug
dealer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, ice prince and MI will still
be in jos facing
Boko haram
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, P-square will be dancing
break dance in
weddings..
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Davido will still be
writting Waec...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olamide will be picking
pocket...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Muna will remain in
modeling...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Lagbaja will be a native
doctor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Tiwa savage will be
ash*...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Ty Bello will be a
photographer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, wande coal will be
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, terry G will b a bus
conductor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, 9ice will be a yoruba
teacher
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Steel would have been a
photographer.
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Danfo Drivers would have
been a bus
driver,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olu maintain would have
been working in
a cyber cafe,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Nigga raw would have
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Oritse femi would have
been selling
phones at computer village,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, D'banj would have gone
for talent hunt
alone nd played his hopeless mouth organ,
If not 4 music..phyno wud av bin an igbo
teacher
If not for music,fella 4 be native doctor or
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.
Hhahhahahahha, come take a hug sweetie, sexy steel would av been a BARBER I think. And Iyanya would av been a FITNESS TRAINER. Pokolee (Tonto dike) would av been a skin therapist (whitenicious tinx). As for this statistics, the only reason why it seems so iss bc the average Nigerian is a hustler. They would def find a way to eat and clothe, coupled with the fact that there is 'financial intermediation' in the system . People that have enough and are willing to give always find a way to give back to the needy. In the absense of that, there is poverty in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Pyroxene: 11:26am On Jul 23, 2014
PrinxArthur1: how can a poor person that lives on $1 per day buy #100 credit on almost on a daily basis, buy 1 cup foreign rice #80, save up to buy android phone,buy kerosene for #160 per litre,buy firewood for #300 per bunch,eat three or two meals a day?

Simple and Cool analysis
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by manosteel(m): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2014
If only the FG will fix this bokoharam thing and Power, I tell you Nigeria is a huge market for foreign investors, and there will always be jobs for graduates and skill workers.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Jovie: 11:36am On Jul 23, 2014
Notwithstanding d fact that figures lyk this show up frm time to time making it look lyk we're nt in so much poverty, we shld nt forget that these things are statistics. We all knw wat is on ground. We are still in need of better health care, better education, easier business policies, better power, etc. These things make life mre meaningful, nt just d amnt of money a person cn spend in a day
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Onegai(f): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2014
manosteel: If only the FG will fix this bokoharam thing and Power, I tell you Nigeria is a huge market for foreign investors, and there will always be jobs for graduates and skill workers.

Osanobua. Please let me mention these economies:
Japan
Korea
Malaysia
Germany

Which of them had their economy grown by foreign investment? Most of those countries operate a D.B.O.T TOS ( I know for a fact, even almighty GE had to sign one for their manufacturing plants in Singapore/Malaysia), so that in 25 years, an indigene buys you out, pays government his taxes and staffs at least 70% of the company with other indigenes.

Engineers are fighting for contract jobs of about N150,000 monthly with Arup, paying to FG workers in Abuja to enter Ministry of Works and calling everyone in existence to work for Chevron, KPMG, ELF or Mobil, yet CCECC is constructing up and down. CCECC isn't hiring Nigerians, JB will be okay with you, Schlumberger is your best bet. CCECC who is doing the most construction, will rather fly in technicians from China than hire a Nigerian and he will be told to not train the Nigerian guy under him, so when he gets tired of the work, another Chinese guy takes over.

Innoson motors needs money and backing so they can hire foreign technical staff who will train their Nigerian counterparts (that is how he started with Innoson motorcycles, by sending his boys over to Asia to be trained in how to reassemble bikes) yet FG would rather chase Nissan and Toyota who will tell Mech. Engrs that they are "overqualified" for the job with no experience and pay them for the lower job, and fly their own guys in.

I know a Dutch girl, who when she told me her job, I was baffled. Any graduate of Convenant Uni could do her job in Nigeria, yet she's paid millions. Same with my friend in Abuja, he does the work, his white boss earns the millions, same with my bro-in-law and the telecoms firm he works for, his colleague from SA is earning 4 times more than he is.

Heck, remember when we used to pay millions to foreign artistes to perform for an hour, at least we have taken that from them and our music industry has grown because we are now controlling it and the foreign companies are wising up to that fact and approaching Nigerian music producers (at least I know Don Jazzy).

Support Nigerian-grown, Nigerian-made. If I buy from Ravda, Mike, Li, the money goes to them. If I buy (without una cheating and if una can ask Jesus to correct ya brain and sell me quality, not cheap chinese inferior goods) from Haruna, Emeka or Tunde, our economy will grow faster.

4 Likes

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Akpan107(m): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2014
2015: APC have to be stopped in order to give room for FRESHER AIR.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by mecuzee(m): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2014
⅓? We all know that's not true!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by sunnyprof: 11:46am On Jul 23, 2014
PHfinest:

Some people earn more than the president of Ghana and yet they need more money to be "comfortable".

you got it PHfinest, That's exactly the problem
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by oluamid(m): 11:48am On Jul 23, 2014
Well, e- Nigerians are rich but real time Nigerians are just struggling to get by.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Bawsse(m): 12:00pm On Jul 23, 2014
NORTH:
A Useless Unproductive Bunch Of Undeserved Wealthy And Power-Thirsty Few Ruling A Bunch Of Illiterate, Misled, Loyal-blind And Poor Many, All Being Tossed Around By A Bunch of Uneducated, Misled, Confused, And Suicidal Handful Resulting In A backward Drive Of The Region And Substantially The Whole Of Nigeria.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by eluquenson(m): 12:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
blizard44: You lie sire.
There is no where in Nigeria where the people are so poor they don't have cloaks over their body and that they can't eat twice a day.

The bane is just the difference between the extremely wealthy and those living from hand to mouth- its just too much, and that's why we usually feel we're poor. Nigeria is far from being poor.
Just look at your statement, Nigerian has no poor citizens, even the US has.
SMH for some people with their mode of reasoning

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by nicflame(m): 12:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
I think the statistics is fair enough, it should be a good news for people who always believe in the cliche "more than half of Nigerians go to be hungry"
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by okeyximo(m): 12:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
BrAkingNews: world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Timaya will be hawking
plantain in
traffic...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Mode9 will be a bouncer
in parties...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Wizkid will still be in
SS3...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Iyanya will be a weight
lifter...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, don Jazzy will be a drug
dealer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, ice prince and MI will still
be in jos facing
Boko haram
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, P-square will be dancing
break dance in
weddings..
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Davido will still be
writting Waec...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olamide will be picking
pocket...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Muna will remain in
modeling...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Lagbaja will be a native
doctor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Tiwa savage will be
ash*...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Ty Bello will be a
photographer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, wande coal will be
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, terry G will b a bus
conductor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, 9ice will be a yoruba
teacher
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Steel would have been a
photographer.
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Danfo Drivers would have
been a bus
driver,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olu maintain would have
been working in
a cyber cafe,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Nigga raw would have
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Oritse femi would have
been selling
phones at computer village,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, D'banj would have gone
for talent hunt
alone nd played his hopeless mouth organ,
If not 4 music..phyno wud av bin an igbo
teacher
If not for music,fella 4 be native doctor or
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.
if not for football I for no hate Mikel like I hate am now

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Bizibi(m): 12:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
I totally agree with the statistics but Nigeria need real infrastructure to move past this level we re in now as fr north.....only God will save that region,what I saw there is enough to line all those northerner politicians and kill them....when one sees poverty in the north...thank God fr his or her life even though one is struggling
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by ogawisdom(m): 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
By my standard over 80percent r poor ie can't afford decent food, accommodation, health care n education among other necessities for living undecided
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Panter215: 12:39pm On Jul 23, 2014
Is 55m not still much. 55m poor people is like saying everybody in Ghana are poor. The whole of people living in Togo, Benin, Niger plus Chad are poor. My people wake up.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by efeambrose: 12:39pm On Jul 23, 2014
This is all lies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Niger-Delta Amnesty Fueled Boko Haram - Obasanjo / Amnesty International drags Badeh, Ihejirika, others to ICC for War Crimes - AI / Buhari Meets Tambuwal On Ministerial Nominee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.