Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank (17955 Views)

71% Anambra People Are Poor, Says Igbuzor / Nigeria Is Rich, But Nigerians Are Poor, EU Tells Buhari / Boko Haram Not Poor, Says CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by olamithey(m): 12:45pm On Jul 23, 2014
They are hallucinating.....sad
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by dirifred(m): 12:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
believable.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Fundango: 1:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
watchthisposter: GEJ till rapture takes place.
GEJ till surnamic,earthquake and volcanic-landslide take place,my vodka pls!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by AdeniyiA(m): 1:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
bizngr: -Arguable...
-Contestable...
-Debatable...

>>>> Add yours.
unbelievable ...
unfathomable ...
unjustifiable...

nd BTW, this IMF people shud mind their business ,how could they be telling us what's happening in our country from the outside undecided
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Bunchersstab(m): 1:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
This Okunjo Iweala don kill us finish...
*Madam abeg give me two okpa from there*
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 23, 2014
akymme: Go to the following areas in lagos alone, then come back here and tell me if world bank's stat are right
1. Makoko
2. The interior of okokomaiko
3. Epe
4. Bariga
5. Amukoko etc
You will shed tears for men like you, eating doesn't mean you are ok, eating what you want, when you want means you ok. You see people stealing billions, tell me what will be left for the masses, what is the ratio of employed people to unemployed people, some of us call petty trading employment, are these traders too not entitled to life, luxury and fun ?

[the population of those people alone is 50million abi? you guys always want to discredit without using your brains. the stat said a little above 33% is still living in porverty. so tell me why you think the places you mentioned is above 33% of the population?

y'all should read before commenting
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Akinsnaira: 1:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
Gej, his cohorts and the bootlickers will do anything possible just to justify his re-run for the second time. Visiting chibok yesterday after 99days the kidnapping took place, and this coming to us today (only one-third of nigerians are poor, @Latest joke of the 21st century), we are waiting for more Oga jona.

Don't be surprised if this man declare himself to run for the second term in the next few weeks or months
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by ziga: 1:42pm On Jul 23, 2014
Okay Nigerians are NOT poor.

So, are we supposed to use our earnings to tarr the roads,

Are we supposed generate our own electricity?

Are we supposed to fly our family out of the country when they are sick?

We have seen what countries that are not poor look like, and the picture in Nigeria looks wrong!!!

Yes we are not poor, just like the 200 girls are not missing, and we don't need help with Boko Haram.

yeye!!!
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Abagworo(m): 2:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
Yes Nigerians are poor but at least 90% live above poverty mark of 1 Dollar per day. I've never met anyone who lives on less than 100 Naira. Barrow pushers earn a minimum of 2000 Naira per day while beggars earn more than 1000 Naira. I believe those 2 are the poorest people in Nigeria. Maybe in the North they are poorer but here in Rivers State I've not met a single person living on a Dollar.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Tymax(m): 2:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
If a third of our population is said to be poor that's really alarming news. That's about 60 million people below the poverty mark. shocked Sad.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by fredust(m): 2:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
Backpack and lunch box from America for sale call 08037818716

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Okeikpu(m): 2:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ozin: The World Bank estimates further suggested that the number of poor Nigerians remained at 58 million adding that more than half of the figure are located in the North- east or North-west.

These Geopolitical zones need to wake up to the reality and do everything possible to give Boko Haram away...No investment will go the way of any insecure zone

58M poor in Nigeria
half of 58 from NW and NE =29 million

(Assumption) The remaining shared by NC,SW,SS and SE = 7.25 per each zones down south.
Huge difference and time for the leaders up-North to wake up from deep slumber
How can the Boko harams demselves give away Boko haram are u 4real...
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by porka: 2:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
Jman06: Those guys up north need emancipation from mental slavery. I mean, they need WESTERN EDUCATION not even Islamic education. An average northerner needs a mind of his/her own, that would mark the beginning of their liberation from poverty.

The richest black man is from the north.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Yungmilio2(m): 3:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ozin: This is why some of us will not be moved by any political Propaganda trying to destroy this current administration. Like him or hate him. this President is making use of the best brain in terms of the Economy at the moment. Okonjo in Finance, Adeshina in Agriculture, the Aganga guy in Trade and investment. Can you beat that?
what is this one saying?
how many Nigerians can afford to build or buy a standard 2bedroom flat
out of 160million Nigerians.. let me say 100m are living in rented apartments.. starting from face me I face you, self con. and flat..
example in abuja
Majority of people staying in abuja either live along airport road (semi rural areas), nyanya, gwagwalada, kwali, zuba, madala, kubwa dutse (all outermost part of abuja)..where transportation is a major problem, if you cant afford to buy a car
only 20% or less live in the urban areas of abuja
definition of a minimum satisfactory standard of living:
the degree of material well-being available to a person or class which is necessary for sustaining and enjoying life
...Basic needs:
Food, Clothing, Shelter, security and essential services
for examples a Family of 4living in a one room apartment.
will you call them rich average or poor?
and they are giving us one us less statistics
you yourself they smile
the 3ministers mentioned
weytin dem done do f the betterment of this country
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by donnish(m): 3:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
wow! Wow!! Wow!!!...we are going dia
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by atlwireles: 3:38pm On Jul 23, 2014
Yungmilio2:
what is this one saying?
out of 160million Nigerians.. let me say 100m are living in rented apartments.. starting from face me I face you, self con. and flat..
example in abuja
Majority of people staying in abuja either live along airport road (semi rural areas), nyanya, gwagwalada, kwali, zuba, madala, kubwa dutse (all outermost part of abuja)..where transportation is a major problem, if you cant afford to buy a car
the degree of material well-being available to a person or class which is necessary for sustaining and enjoying life
...Basic needs:
you yourself they smile
the 3ministers mentioned

Go to other countries in your so called developed world and ask that same question? The answer will make you hold your peace.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by kmariko: 3:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
Onegai:

Osanobua. Please let me mention these economies:
Japan
Korea
Malaysia
Germany

Which of them had their economy grown by foreign investment? Most of those countries operate a D.B.O.T TOS ( I know for a fact, even almighty GE had to sign one for their manufacturing plants in Singapore/Malaysia), so that in 25 years, an indigene buys you out, pays government his taxes and staffs at least 70% of the company with other indigenes.

I beg to disagree with some of the statements concerning foreign investments in those countries..... Their shares are reduced not because of government induced policies per see but the rising wealth in the society such that indigenes or indigenous companies wealthy enough could buyout some of the shares in the foreign company. E.g. Ford still owns substantial shares in Mitsubishi cars and Reanult basically owns Nissan... The rail in places like Singapore, malaysia, Thailand are deep down Japanese owned concerns with substantial local shares. GE is a very global company and irrespective of where they are located ( might have local management) but overall does not change the structural leanings of the company globally.

thanks and be well
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by jakiedudu(m): 3:46pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ozin: This is why some of us will not be moved by any political Propaganda trying to destroy this current administration. Like him or hate him. this President is making use of the best brain in terms of the Economy at the moment. Okonjo in Finance, Adeshina in Agriculture, the Aganga guy in Trade and investment. Can you beat that?
Don't mind the haters. Some people are just blinded by hatred. GEJ is working and he shall continue till 2019.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 23, 2014

No they can't...
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by kmariko: 4:00pm On Jul 23, 2014
Yungmilio2:
what is this one saying?
example in abuja
...Basic needs:
you yourself they smile
the 3ministers mentioned

1. Not many people in the world can afford to build and own 2 bedroom flat in a city...thats why more people rent than own irrespective of country.

2. Question is how many people go naked in Nigeria for lack of clothes... Even in the USA (just an example) people still donate clothes for ones who cannot afford it.
3. Most Nigerians I guess 60% live in rural communities where they feed off their farms and the issue of hunger is negated.. Secondly in cities, most people square their meals ... if in doublt start and analyse your neighbourhood hunger or feeding index.
4. You for writing on this forum is actually helping to better the country in your own little way....E.g. you pay for electricity to power your phone, you pay MTN for the minutes , you write on this forum and help Seun to employee people to manage it. so you as a person is helping move this country forward just as the ministers in the course of doing their job ( whether you like or not ) has forced investors to look at the country and see whether to put their money in the country ..... and if it happens , more employment, increased income, reduction in poverty...
5. Be happy and enjoy what you do and where you are , because in a little way you are helping to reduce poverty in this country... Its a collective activity.

thanks and be well

1 Like

Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by myhero4eva: 4:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
they can only deceive themselves to defend their wickedness in the face of the world but they can never fool ordinary Nigerians with such false statistics. 70% nigerians are hungry 2day
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by kmariko: 4:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
myhero4eva: they can only deceive themselves to defend their wickedness in the face of the world but they can never fool ordinary Nigerians with such false statistics. 70% nigerians are hungry 2day

how do you know
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Yungmilio2(m): 4:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
atlwireles:

Go to other countries in your so called developed world and ask that same question? The answer will make you hold your peace.
UK
Canada
America
Japan
many more
Enlighten me
hope you know
we talking about Nigeria
a developing Country
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Kessleek(m): 4:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
BrAkingNews: world bank throwing garbages since 1900. So tell me, what do they know about Nigeria? As for me, about 2/3 Nigerians are poor.

IF NOT FOR MUSIC!!!
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Timaya will be hawking
plantain in
traffic...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Mode9 will be a bouncer
in parties...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Wizkid will still be in
SS3...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Iyanya will be a weight
lifter...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, don Jazzy will be a drug
dealer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, ice prince and MI will still
be in jos facing
Boko haram
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, P-square will be dancing
break dance in
weddings..
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Davido will still be
writting Waec...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olamide will be picking
pocket...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Muna will remain in
modeling...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Lagbaja will be a native
doctor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Tiwa savage will be
ash*...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Ty Bello will be a
photographer...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, wande coal will be
advertising Dudu Osun
Seriously
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, terry G will b a bus
conductor...
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, 9ice will be a yoruba
teacher
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Steel would have been a
photographer.
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Danfo Drivers would have
been a bus
driver,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Olu maintain would have
been working in
a cyber cafe,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Nigga raw would have
bin selling Cd
plates at Alaba market,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, Oritse femi would have
been selling
phones at computer village,
IF NOT 4 MUSIC, D'banj would have gone
for talent hunt
alone nd played his hopeless mouth organ,
If not 4 music..phyno wud av bin an igbo
teacher
If not for music,fella 4 be native doctor or
igbo seller
Lmao
PLEASE ADD UR OWN!!!
Don't spoil the fun.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Yungmilio2(m): 4:47pm On Jul 23, 2014
kmariko:

1. Not many people in the world can afford to build and own 2 bedroom flat in a city...thats why more people rent than own irrespective of country.

2. Question is how many people go naked in Nigeria for lack of clothes... Even in the USA (just an example) people still donate clothes for ones who cannot afford it.
3. Most Nigerians I guess 60% live in rural communities where they feed off their farms and the issue of hunger is negated.. Secondly in cities, most people square their meals ... if in doublt start and analyse your neighbourhood hunger or feeding index.
4. You for writing on this forum is actually helping to better the country in your own little way....E.g. you pay for electricity to power your phone, you pay MTN for the minutes , you write on this forum and help Seun to employee people to manage it. so you as a person is helping move this country forward just as the ministers in the course of doing their job ( whether you like or not ) has forced investors to look at the country and see whether to put their money in the country ..... and if it happens , more employment, increased income, reduction in poverty...
5. Be happy and enjoy what you do and where you are , because in a little way you are helping to reduce poverty in this country... Its a collective activity.

thanks and be well
I get your point
am happy cause Nigeria is developing fast.
increase in income
about the poverty and employment
we only hear about creation of jobs and reduction in unemployment
but its not happening
every year unemployment rate keeps increasing
well ninja go better
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by kpolli(m): 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
55.9 million is still too high... I do not think that many Nigerians are poor...
These people need to stop directly converting naira to dollar and look at the standard of living factor while converting...
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by atlwireles: 5:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
Yungmilio2:
UK
Canada
America
Japan
many more
Enlighten me
hope you know
we talking about Nigeria
a developing Country

Yes, I know we are talking about Nigeria. I wanted you to tell us how many people in the developed world can do what you asked. Build or buy a 2 bedroom flat without credit.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
Yeaaaaaaa...very good...Now can the remaining Nigerians trying to run out of the country pls now stop so they wont come and add to our suffering here since people in Nigeria are now rich
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by russello: 5:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
Panter215: Is 55m not still much. 55m poor people is like saying everybody in Ghana are poor. The whole of people living in Togo, Benin, Niger plus Chad are poor. My people wake up.

Oga, how many poor people do we have in India, China, and Brazil respectively?
Maybe you're the one who needs to wake up to reality.
Re: Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank by Suarezilla(m): 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ozin:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/only-a-third-of-nigerians-are-poor-says-world-bank/184323/
What about security? What abt the boko boys? Abi nah to dey praise demsleves wit talks of a better economy that jst few r reaping from? Feeding d international audience wit fairytales? All these raps can't even buy my votes.It was glaring to us d level of unemployment in d country at d futile NIS is very high. Do u say a graduate ri an Okada is self-employed? I knw d meaning of dis rap bt I am still looking for d messiah of Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Amnesty International drags Badeh, Ihejirika, others to ICC for War Crimes - AI / Nigeria Can’t Be Islamised – Osinbajo / Osinbajo Gets Warm Reception At Enugu Airport Led By Governor Ugwuanyi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.