Stats: 3,154,680 members, 7,823,920 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles (19964 Views)

Ikpeazu Gives Cars To Police And Doctors (Photos) / The Weapons Are Hunting Rifles - Lebanese Suspects Tell Court. / Nigeria Police To Withdraw Assault Rifles & Introduce Use Of Rubber Bullets (2) (3) (4)

Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by MaziOmenuko: 7:09am On Jul 28, 2014
Why do our police men walk around with assault rifles?

In most advanced countries, you hardly see policemen with assault rifles walking around the streets. They have their pistols inside a holster and only bring it out when its needed. You only see them with assault rifles (AK 47, etc) in times of emergency like riots, robbery, siege etc.

Here in Nigeria, you see our police walking into public transport, beer palour and shekpe joints with fully loaded ak47 rifles. It seems ak 47 is the default primary weapon for the police. Gone are the days when police men walk the streets with just a barton. Invite them for as security in a social program such as wedding, child-dedication or even a kid's birthday party and you see them with that annoying long gun on full display!

I think the government should do something about this. We hear cases of trigger happy policemen shooting innocent victims and claiming accidental discharge. If they are made to carry pistols alone, there won't be such incidences as it will require the policeman to bring the gun out from its holster, remove it from safety before shooting. Such scenarios will never be termed 'Accidental' discharge but first degree murder.

The pix below is for clarity sake. It explains a lot why the popular NPF acronym has been turned to a popular saying: Not People's Friend

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 28, 2014
You have a point •

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 28, 2014
[s]the fear of boko haram is the beginning of wisdom[/s]. Features of 3rd world countries

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 28, 2014
Monsters on parade..

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by macpetrus(m): 7:33am On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmmm...

The pix show hw friendly the police can get!!!
Bt Naija police I hail Oooo..

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 28, 2014
Don't blame them. We live in an insane enviroment.

An average Nigerian behaves when they see guns. So don't blame them.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by lilTunechi(m): 7:37am On Jul 28, 2014
Obviously I've been thinking of this a while back. The assault rifle Magnifies their weakness. They brag with it. A police once told me he'd Shoot me and Says it misfired. His Rifle is Rusted and round up with Tape. The Sling alone is very dirty and has many patches. How on earth wouldn't they back at The HQ agree with him it misfired? They are the most Lackadaisical set of people.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by xynerise: 7:38am On Jul 28, 2014
@Pictures. The difference is clear grin
Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 28, 2014
Will be back
Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by chemmerfrank(m): 7:40am On Jul 28, 2014
most of the guns dont work...dont be too worrried...policemen should never show guns to civillian..but in Nigeria everything goes and this is the least of our problems now

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by robinicule(m): 7:40am On Jul 28, 2014
even wit d big guns, we never fear them

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by mrborntodoit: 7:42am On Jul 28, 2014
Nigéria is a 3rd world country , they Will not hesitate to lynch a policeman carrying a pistol.

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by omenka(m): 7:43am On Jul 28, 2014
I find them very irritating to say the least!!

I was shocked when I watched on CNN the other day that there is an ongoing debate in China as to the propriety or otherwise of allowing police carry firearms in public! I was shocked that all this while, their policemen don't bear arms!

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by leonard509(m): 7:43am On Jul 28, 2014
i made fp

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Talkcentral: 7:44am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by ichidodo: 7:45am On Jul 28, 2014
A sheer apparent lack of sophistication and just plain cluelessness at the security risk they pose themselves and to the public as a martial arts expert what is stopping me from reverse twisting their rifle hand simultaneously delivering a hammer fist knockout blow to the temple before making away with one of the most powerful shooter (rifle) in the world??...They should count themselves lucky that Nigerians are predominantly peaceful people.Make dem go Jamaica go try that nonsense....

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by leonard509(m): 7:47am On Jul 28, 2014
its because they are illitrates,, DATS ALL.

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by EasternLeopard: 7:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Why not show pics of guns used by armed robbers.

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by beewye: 7:48am On Jul 28, 2014
they only use it to terrorize the public.Give me 50naira or i shoot you.GBAM

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nihilist: 7:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Lmao

Have you seen American police?

When they get their full gear on, you will wonder if they're going to fight in Gaza and not just arrest someone

Anyway, Nigeria police need the big guns. These days criminals roll with rocket launchers, and bank robbers move with grenades. You would be surprised at how cheap Ak47s are on the street...

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by ITbomb(m): 7:49am On Jul 28, 2014
chemmerfrank: most of the guns dont work...dont be too worrried...policemen should never show guns to civillian..but in Nigeria everything goes and this is the least of our problems now
Clearly, that is the least of our problems.

In other news, report just reaching us has it that President Jonathan gave Buhari the bulletproof jeep that saved his life.

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by ichommy(m): 7:49am On Jul 28, 2014
Observing
Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by eluquenson(m): 7:51am On Jul 28, 2014

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by tbagjames(m): 7:52am On Jul 28, 2014

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by NaLaugh: 7:53am On Jul 28, 2014
police state
Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Mdrill(m): 7:53am On Jul 28, 2014
Nihilist: Lmao

Have you seen American police?

When they get their full gear on, you will wonder if they're going to fight in Gaza and not just arrest someone

Anyway, Nigeria police need the big guns. These days criminals roll with rocket launchers, and bank robbers move with grenades. You would be surprised at how cheap Ak47s are on the street...
Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 28, 2014
Olekumaster: [s]the fear of boko haram is the beginning of wisdom[/s]. Features of 3rd world countries
Thats not it,its what they've been doing for years even before BokoHaram came out...
Are policemen in SW,SE and SS also scared of being attacked by BokoHaram....
Come to Ondo, Ekiti, and other peaceful States like that, you see the officers Carrying, Sleeping,Waking up,Bathing, Eating, and Drinking with the rusted, heavy, and disgusting looking AKs...Most times one finds it difficult to diffentiate between them and touts,corrupt and shallow thinking illiterates....

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by LaurelP(m): 7:55am On Jul 28, 2014
how many guns do our police use sef?
Is it not one?

Besides they are also trying to protect dia own lives, here is not europe

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by chemmerfrank(m): 7:59am On Jul 28, 2014
ITbomb:
Clearly, that is the least of our problems.

In other news, report just reaching us has it that President Jonathan gave Buhari the bulletproof jeep that saved his life.
we only saw the trailer of the stage play directed by clarence peters...my brother the real movie never come out....politics disgust me..if not for the loss of lives i wouldnt giv a F

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Yahoo1(m): 8:00am On Jul 28, 2014
They should be using this

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 28, 2014
It's necessary since criminals have access to assault rifles.

After the north Hollywood shout out in California in which Bank of America was robbed in 1994, patrol officers are now allowed to carry military weapons such as the US army M-16.

Re: Nigerian Police And Assault Rifles by phlemzy: 8:00am On Jul 28, 2014
Quite few of them av a pistol gun tho. I think the uniform on their neck is not enough to scare away criminals,hence the need to carry an assault rifle. Ak47 has more fear attached to it than a pistol dat is usually hanged around the waist & not well noticed. I so much wish npf can fully distribute dat new uniform.

Tanker Falls At Opic Estate, Ogun State (Photos) / Court Unfreezes 16 Accounts Belonging To Patience Jonathan / Election Tribunal Members Inaugurated By Acting CJN Picked By Onnoghen – Officia