Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,907 members, 7,824,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? (16525 Views)

Opinion: How Honest Can You Be When It Comes To Money? / How Honest Are You To Your Partner? / Reasons Why Marrying Someone For A Green Card Is A Bad Idea Fraught With Risk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by bigemmmybig(m): 8:45am On Jul 29, 2014
nabsprada: I don't want to start the "not everyone has a dirty past sermon" but its the truth...its marriage for crying out loud and the worst thing you'll ever do to yourself is being in it with the "i've got secrets guilt",start with keeping secrets and you'll keep doing so even in your marriage...you don't wanna play the "not all secrets are bad card" discuss everything,and if you re not ready to,then you have not found that one person you feel safe with.....my opinion ne o...

u hav spoken well, like a prof. i love it wink

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by zeb04(f): 8:54am On Jul 29, 2014
To tell the past is good but I don't want to know about how you use to molest girls in your past and all those disgusting things....keep them to yourself coz even if you are a reverend now,I will still be skeptical .
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 29, 2014
ireneidiva: I'll tell everything! What's the point of getting married if I can't talk to him? If he can't take it, let him go!

You can only be sure of ds wen yu r still in yur early twenties my dear. When yu are in yur late twenties yu don't wanna let him go. The fact is there are things beta kept as secret.

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Whizpeter(m): 9:10am On Jul 29, 2014
Chei... Too Long.. Didn't even bother to read.
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by ireneidiva(f): 9:16am On Jul 29, 2014
orirebaby:

You can only be sure of ds wen yu r still in yur early twenties my dear. When yu are in yur late twenties yu don't wanna let him go. The fact is there are things beta kept as secret.
Your opinion! I'll tell no matter my age, if he'll stay, he'll stay! I have a conscience.

3 Likes

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 29, 2014
ireneidiva:
Your opinion! I'll tell no matter my age, if he'll stay, he'll stay! I have a conscience.

Good for you darling
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Odunharry(m): 9:23am On Jul 29, 2014
alutacontinua: I find it difficult to keep things from a man I love. angry
I have a very annoying conscience lipsrsealed
Good thing is the past ain't too ugly anyways, it's still manageable cheesy
nice

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 29, 2014
Past? Who no get am, wetin dey dere wey man neva hear b4? E pass sexual partners, abortions, stealing bf, lieing, wetin pesin wan talk wey dey strange Abeg I go tell am if he wan hear nofin dey happen. Afterall he has his own. Na only dead people no get time to talk past o

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by 555info: 9:36am On Jul 29, 2014
i met my wife 4months after she delivered and lost the baby cos of what her ex made her to pass through. she told me the whole story and i belived her. we wed and we have two kids now and we are doing wonderfuly well.

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by dayosaurus(m): 9:40am On Jul 29, 2014
odufanabasa: But y will a man want to know everything about a lady? Then when she opens up,and they know they ugly truth(if there are any),they back off? Abeg every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future! If u can't stand by her after
hearing, pls respect urself and don't ask.... curiosity kills d cat..

No matter how ugly your past is, your husband deserve to know.. imagine a situation where his brother was your ex??.. or where his brother was the doctor that have been aborting your babies?? Grow up girl undecided
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 29, 2014
bigemmmybig:

u hav spoken well, like a prof. i love it wink
Thankswink
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Tunagee(m): 10:12am On Jul 29, 2014
InwehAkpevwe: ... Be 100% sincere with d past! Cos weda u screwd up or did it rite it wat make u who u r 2day! Its beta tellin dem abt d past then 4 dem 2 find out themselves! If they really loved u, after hearing abt d past they will stay

U mean like the lady telling the husband that she was once a runs girl in school;or that she was a former prostitute or that she was delivered of witchcraft; or that she killed both her parents using her witchcraft means abi!
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by otunbakhakiz: 10:15am On Jul 29, 2014
orirebaby:

Tolulope; tell them make then hear. Not even wen yah in ur thirties. There are some past that are rather kept than bn told. Talking from experience anyway.
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by myspnigeria: 10:19am On Jul 29, 2014
100% honest

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by otunbakhakiz: 10:20am On Jul 29, 2014
orirebaby:

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Tunagee(m): 10:31am On Jul 29, 2014
DaGC: As much as neccessary. If you can handle it, fine. If you can't? Still fine. I just don't think its appropriate going into marriage with secrets. Sometimes, some elements of the past have a tendency to fvck the future.

You mean the woman telling the man that all his kids belong to another man.
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by halfcaste1: 10:36am On Jul 29, 2014
While I'm in support of telling it all, I must say one has 2b careful. 2 me, it depends on d man or woman in question. Wen I told my husband (fiancee den) abt my past, it drew us closer cos he ws hapi I cud trust him wit info abt my past bt wen I found out frm our mutual frend dt he kpt sumtin frm me abt his past, I ws mad. It nearly ended our engagement if nt 4 God. Since den (2d best of my knowledge sha), he dosnt kip tinz 4rm me knowin hw much it hurt me den. D funny tin is dt he was d one who helped me 2 com 2 terms wit my past. Weneva I'd stat regretting d tins I'd done, he'd say dey r all in d past & I shud use d lessons learnt 2 tich our kids and young girls out dre 2 bhave beta. So my point is, it depends on ur partner. Is he or she understanding enough 2 handle ur past?

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by bablononi(m): 10:52am On Jul 29, 2014
angry
maxism2:

never tell a guy that any man that wanna marry u, ends up dying.

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 29, 2014
akeem0502: Being secretive is largely a function of the women, the truth is that no matter the past of a man he can spill it out and nothing will happen it is the women that have a lot to hide. Women nowadays wanna marry for so many reasons other than love. For instance they wanna marry cos they wanna wear wedding dress, sad. So they hide all sorts in other to marry. No man gives a damn of a woman's past be she met him only if she was sleeping with men for money or she had like an abortion that affected her womb, but yet they still lie and hide facts. The most damaging part of it is that some how guys find out and it could lead to destruction. A woman can even lie to u that she enjoys sex so much just to lure u into marriage and at the end of the day she will become a log after marriage. She will even lie to herself that she likes the guy's personality and at the end of the day she only wanted to marry. The reason for marriage is no more there. The primary reason for marriage which is love isn't there anymore and it is so sad. Most guys marry because of love

Who told you men don't care about a woman's past?

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by somsom(f): 11:10am On Jul 29, 2014
There are things you should not hide from your partner to avoid future wahala. As you grow in your relationship and the thrust gets solid, you just have to say some past things, bearing in mind that in the future something or someone will bring up a past that may cause problems with your partner. Then it will now he seem as deceit.
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Waspy(m): 11:23am On Jul 29, 2014
Some irresponsible a-holes had lived their lives foolishly and now they be like they can't spill everything.......Your sins will seek you out biatches angry angry angry You cant eat your cakes and have it, the truth will always come up surely

1 Like

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by rhymaholic: 11:26am On Jul 29, 2014
I understand the need to be open but there somethings about your dirty past you shouldnt let your spouse know about. Things like how many times you have aborted, how many guys you've slept with, and all that. Keep that shit to yourself and let it go with past. My take tho.
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by akeem0502: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2014
smurfy:

Who told you men don't care about a woman's past?
Like I said before, guys are only bothered about the past when he doesn't know it. Once the babe lays it clear from the on set a guy that wants to go on will go on
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by InwehAkpevwe(m): 11:41am On Jul 29, 2014
Tunagee:

U mean like the lady telling the husband that she was once a runs girl in school;or that she was a former prostitute or that she was delivered of witchcraft; or that she killed both her parents using her witchcraft means abi!
yes... Dats d old u!!! There is no point shying frm ur past... Face it with confidence--- let him knw who/wat u were b4, and let him also knw dat u av changed... Instead of claiming u were 1s holier dan thou!!!
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by Yemlizzy(f): 11:42am On Jul 29, 2014
Talk is cheap anyway. Not everyone can live a life devoid of secret and scandals,the fact that marriage is a life time investment makes it necessary that you reveal things to eachother.

No marriage built on deceits,lies and treachery ever survives. Any marriage is for better for worse. Everyone has secrets,how you manage them is what matters.

3 Likes

Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by zurine(f): 11:55am On Jul 29, 2014
wow
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by dokunbam(m): 12:30pm On Jul 29, 2014
balance? no way
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by kathryn24(f): 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
some things are better left unsaid
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by OmoEziokwu: 1:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
Opiosko: Blessed are those without a dirty past for they shall fear nothing.

Bless your soul.
Re: How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? by akeem0502: 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
kathryn24: some things are better left unsaid
Yes for girls that had a very dirty past, if it was a past that happened in ignorance why will someone hide it? No matter how u hide it the truth will come out some day and it will be disaster

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Would You Do If You Find A Used Condom Wrapper In Your Matrimonial Bedroom? / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / White Girl, Pregnant To Married Nigerian Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.