Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare (18791 Views)

NIGERIA CIVIL WAR : How It Started / We Will Vote Jonathan Despite Our Regrets In Voting Him In 2011 – Middle Belt / Nigeria In State Of War: How Over 54,000 Nigerians Died Outside The Law Since 99 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by SamIkenna: 7:34pm On Aug 01, 2014
semitunde:

Unfortunately this is a possibility our south eastern people are not seeing presently.

The way I see it, the Igbo's continued vocal calls for war can make it easy for strategists to negotiate with middle belt. For the price of safety from war and not making it a "buffer zone" for the east; they can give any zone that guarantees its safety thoroughfare to the south east.

This will be an advantage for those in the west. They won't want a humanitarian crises from those fleeing the middle belt westward; and restricting the war to south east will make it easier and cheaper to round off.

The emboldened is why I said you can positively join or get off my lawn. Its clear where your interest lies. What I see are folks who want the East to be humiliated masquerading as advice purveyors. Let me put it in clear terms: The East will meet the core north fire for fire, viciousness for viciousness, and bomb for bomb if and when Nigeria crumbles - this fact is not lost on the northern intelligentsia. One of our God given roles in this hemisphere is to halt and roll back wahhabi islamic contagion pushing southwards. We're not compromised in anyway. We have nothing like a muslim cousin and christian nephew working against each other, so I expect you completely understood my drift on 'we're not compromised.' We're particularly suited to knock some sense into those who predicted, at the dawn of the century, to dip Koran in the Atlantic.

At any rate, I hope when you said you would be neutral you literally meant that. We would not like surprises.

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Sloan: 7:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
SamIkenna:

The emboldened is why I said you can positively join or get off my lawn. Its clear where your interest lies. What I see are folks who want the East to be humiliated masquerading as advice purveyors. Let me put it in clear terms: The East will meet the core north fire for fire, viciousness for viciousness, and bomb for bomb if and when Nigeria crumbles - this fact is not lost on the northern intelligentsia. One of our God given roles in this hemisphere is to halt and roll back wahhabi islamic contagion pushing southwards. We're not compromised in anyway. We have nothing like a muslim cousin and christian nephew working against each other, so I expect you completely understood my drift on 'we're not compromised.' We're particularly suited to knock some sense into those who predicted, at the dawn of the century, to dip Koran in the Atlantic.

At any rate, I hope when you said you would be neutral you literally meant that. We would not like surprises.

I hope this is not your assumption of alliance with the West or anyone! Use your brain and don't come and cry sabotage if and when you are wiped out by your stupidity!

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by AkinEgba: 7:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
Sloan:

I hope this is not your assumption of alliance with the West or anyone! Use your brain and don't come and cry sabotage if and when you are wiped out by your stupidity!

As long as the SW truly seek their own independence they should be free from Igbo wahala. But if you try to join the North in fighting SE, like you did before, I am afraid then that you are taking yourself back to square one. I hope the West will work for its own country should Nigeria get to the point depicted in this thread.

The SW needs to help both the Islamic north and the SE to test themselves out as TO CONFIRM who is stronger by not interfering.
Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by semitunde: 7:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
SamIkenna:

I conceed that my post you quoted may be taken as a humiliation for the south east , but without emotions, that is one of the possibilities that lie ahead if we take the war route.

And please, boldness and even having enough armaments doesn't win wars. Did USA win the war in Vietnam?

More importantly, have you considered what will happen after the war? If you win, will that be the end? If you keep alienating yourselves with the "we can do it alone" mentality, is it after the war you want to form alliances?

Yet alliances you will need, because realistically the south east is not in any position to do anything alone. I wont want to elaborate on this for now. Bestbelive though that you don't win wars these days, you only win momentary battles, the victim keeps coming back to haunt and taunt. You can ask yorubas, they will tell you that their post war effort is being shoved up their throat today.

So who are your friends? North? They are the enemy. South south? They are not good enough. Yoruba? You wrongfully abuse them consistently yet you always expect them to either be on your side or be neutral. How can you guarantee that?

But yes, I maybe I need to get of your lawn...
Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by AkinEgba: 8:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
Torkaka, Semitunde, Sloan and others:

You guys have completely turned this Middle Belt thread into ''Igbo versus others''. The Igbos here have also helped you to do so by having to respond to all your obviously anti-Igbo permutations.

Please go back and read the opening thread and my own opening response to see if it was intended to be an ''Igbo versus others'' thread.

I am at a loss as to how these ''Igbo versus others'' thing keeps happening even when the issue at hand is not designed as such.

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by SamIkenna: 8:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
semitunde:

I conceed that my post you quoted may be taken as a humiliation for the south east , but without emotions, that is one of the possibilities that lie ahead if we take the war route.

And please, boldness and even having enough armaments doesn't win wars. Did USA win the war in Vietnam?

More importantly, have you considered what will happen after the war? If you win, will that be the end? If you keep alienating yourselves with the "we can do it alone" mentality, is it after the war you want to form alliances?

Yet alliances you will need, because realistically the south east is not in any position to do anything alone. I wont want to elaborate on this for now. Bestbelive though that you don't win wars these days, you only win momentary battles, the victim keeps coming back to haunt and taunt. You can ask yorubas, they will tell you that their post war effort is being shoved up their throat today.

So who are your friends? North? They are the enemy. South south? They are not good enough. Yoruba? You wrongfully abuse them consistently yet you always expect them to either be on your side or be neutral. How can you guarantee that?

But yes, I maybe I need to get of your lawn...

Unfortunately, we do not see issues the same way, and we don't need to because govts and law courts would be extinct if we did. One of the reasons I say this is because you stated that humiliation is one of the options in the kitty for the East. You see, this is where we irredeemably and regrettably diverge. When the bubble bursts everyone will be in need of friends and allies. The East is not in the business of threatening anyone and has never threatened anyone, and this is why its shockingly ironic because the section where the threat is endlessly coming from is consistently been adjudged to be ally worthy by people who are supposedly endowed with wisdom, while the recipients of the threats are considered dangerous and delusional. If this is not insanity I don't know what is. Anyway, not to get off the subject - when the bubble bursts, it will burst evenly. If you care to join us or them you're more than welcomed, and if you choose to be neutral while some barbarians are laying claim to part of your ancestral land, then good for you too. As for us, we will dig in and eliminate this insanity once and for all. One thing I have decided not to do is to, henceforth, beg people to join in resisting against their own subjugation or domination. You choose to fight, you fight. You don't - no offence taken. As for humiliation, that'll be over my dead body.

4 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
AkinEgba: Torkaka, Semitunde, Sloan and others:

You guys have completely turned this Middle Belt thread into ''Igbo versus others''. The Igbos here have also helped you to do so by having to respond to all your obviously anti-Igbo permutations.

Please go back and read the opening thread and my own opening response to see if it was intended to be an ''Igbo versus others'' thread.

I am at a loss as to how these ''Igbo versus others'' thing keeps happening even when the issue at hand is not designed as such.

Maybe the igbo thing keeps happening because you lot are always quick to jump in and ignorantly brandish the mentality that "yours will be the holy grail which others will be saved by attaching to"

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 10:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
semitunde:

Unfortunately this is a possibility our south eastern people are not seeing presently.

The way I see it, the Igbo's continued vocal calls for war can make it easy for strategists to negotiate with middle belt. For the price of safety from war and not making it a "buffer zone" for the east; they can give any zone that guarantees its safety thoroughfare to the south east.

This will be an advantage for those in the west. They won't want a humanitarian crises from those fleeing the middle belt westward; and restricting the war to south east will make it easier and cheaper to round off.

The problem with your view point is

You fail to realise that the MB despise the Arewas with passion more than the way they hated the Igbos more than 40yrs ago

As I speak to you most MB christian tribes are openly saying they made mistake fighting the Igbos and would go with Biafra

If Nigeria breaks up no MB Christian tribe will allow the passage of any Arewa troops through her territory no matter the negotiation threat or bribe

Guy travel out of your SW enclave and interact with other tribes of Nigeria

Only when you do this that you will realise that Nigeria has changed

The Confab stand by the MB delegates should give you a clue

I repeat

If Nigeria breaks up all Northern minority tribes will want freedom from Arewas

This means any invasion of the Biafrans/ND areas through MB areas will be opposed by the MB tribes who will be supported by Biafrans/ND who will see the defense of MB as their best bet to keep the war as far North as possible.

4 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 10:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Is laughable when I read Yorubas comments of how they are more capable of defending themselves than the Igbos on this thread

May I ask you guys

What was Awo's excuse for not declaring Odua.?

What did Obj and co told Awo when he asked them of West readiness to secceed.?

Of all armed ethnic militia and militias who believe in armed struggled why is OPC the least equipped when compared with BH and Mend.?

What will Yorubas exchange for weapons in the event of war.?

I repeat

I laugh at Yorubas thinking they have a better fighting chance compared to BIafrans/ND in a war against Arewa invasion.

4 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by semitunde: 10:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
SamIkenna:

Unfortunately, we do not see issues the same way, and we don't need to because govts and law courts would be extinct if we did. One of the reasons I say this is because you stated that humiliation is one of the options in the kitty for the East. You see, this is where we irredeemably and regrettably diverge. When the bubble bursts everyone will be in need of friends and allies. The East is not in the business of threatening anyone and has never threatened anyone, and this is why its shockingly ironic because the section where the threat is endlessly coming from is consistently been adjudged to be ally worthy by people who are supposedly endowed with wisdom, while the recipients of the threats are considered dangerous and delusional. If this is not insanity I don't know what is. Anyway, not to get off the subject - when the bubble bursts, it will burst evenly. If you care to join us or them you're more than welcomed, and if you choose to be neutral while some barbarians are laying claim to part of your ancestral land, then good for you too. As for us, we will dig in and eliminate this insanity once and for all. One thing I have decided not to do is to, henceforth, beg people to join in resisting against their own subjugation or domination. You choose to fight, you fight. You don't - no offence taken. As for humiliation, that'll be over my dead body.

Well, I guess I understand the emotions that come with having to do something, help notwithstanding.

But I'm not talking about if Yoruba will fight or not. I'm talking about how the war might play out. Yorubas will fight if and when they have to. Nothing will change that. It is the how that's up for debate.

Look, your points are somewhat valid as regards defending your territory from an aggressor, the mistake you and many others make is not realising that you do the same, I mean being aggressive to others. But you may not realise it, just like those you accuse don't too.

If you see any part of this country being aggressive, they are reacting to something.

Northerners are mainly represented by their religious people and their extremists are showing their hands. What gets me confused is that Igbo use most opportunities to hit at Yoruba, deservedly or not, and even when the issues have no connection with Yoruba.

Verbal attacks are made on other tribes but the most vitriolic is saved for Yoruba; funny enough Yoruba are the closest to allies the Igbos can get. Its a strange method igbos have chosen to have friends.

I guess you understand this and that's partly why you go with the "we can do it alone anyway" line? Its called pride. It goes before a fall.

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by sirblac(m): 10:59pm On Aug 01, 2014
The war will be a very bloody war kwara and kogi will be d major battle grounds u people also forgot Lagos the Igbo's will try to take Lagos too. If the Igbo's do not fight for land and oil it will be more of a Yoruba Hausa war
Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by sirblac(m): 11:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
The region with more wealth and foreign alliances will win.The Yoruba's have foreign aid if we call our guys from benin,Togo Ghana Brazil Cuba and Argentina we shall be a force to reckon with also with billionaires Lyk adenuga,otedola,obat,dele momodu e.t.c we are ready for warbring it on.
The north with foreign aid from Arab and Islamic countries will use these war to carry out a jihad in d country with billions of stolen funds by ex politicians they are a force to reckon with.
South east with foreign aids from few countries Lyk Haiti and jamica with very few billionaires will have a lot problems on funds and man power during the war.
Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Qelvin(m): 11:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
sirblac: The region with more wealth and foreign alliances will win.The Yoruba's have foreign aid if we call our guys from benin,Togo Ghana Brazil Cuba and Argentina we shall be a force to reckon with also with billionaires Lyk adenuga,otedola,obat,dele momodu e.t.c we are ready for warbring it on.
The north with foreign aid from Arab and Islamic countries will use these war to carry out a jihad in d country with billions of stolen funds by ex politicians they are a force to reckon with.
South east with foreign aids from few countries Lyk Haiti and jamica with very few billionaires will have a lot problems on funds and man power during the war.
this sure would make the top chart of most laughable post of the year.

7 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EMANY01(m): 11:49pm On Aug 01, 2014
sirblac: The region with more wealth and foreign alliances will win.The Yoruba's have foreign aid if we call our guys from benin,Togo Ghana Brazil Cuba and Argentina we shall be a force to reckon with also with billionaires Lyk adenuga,otedola,obat,dele momodu e.t.c we are ready for warbring it on.

Of all the commentators you appears to be the most delusional.If the most recent wars on the African continent is anything to do by,was are not fought with only the weapons you have at hand.
You imagine that the Adenugas ,the Obattolas, the Otedollas do not have their equals in the south south or the south east.
Where do you get the idea that those folks would willingly roll out billions to persecute a war against who the SE/SS where the core of their billions came from?
Even if they did for filial reason they would be doing that,knowing that that would be the end of any investment that have past the cost line of ondo.
The SE/SS may never really trust each other but every baby knows that the only way the north would reach the SS is throught the SE and Edo .The have admited to themselves in separate fora that if the core north were to engage the SE they wold have to intervene and not wait because if they stood by and did nothing they would have more to lose than the SE .
For everyone in this conversation I think it will benefit you all to take a long hard dispassionate look at the map of Nigeria before voicing/typing out any opinions you would have formed.
Weigh you opinions against the cold hard truth that the map represents and be sure that you opinions stand in the face of the realites that the map presents

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 12:02am On Aug 02, 2014
Qelvin:
this sure would make the top chart of most laughable post of the year.

You kill that guy finish

Most NL yoruba comments show that, they are not listerning to the politics of other regions.

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 12:05am On Aug 02, 2014
EMANY01:

Of all the commentators you appears to be the most delusional.If the most recent wars on the African continent is anything to do by,was are not fought with only the weapons you have at hand.
You imagine that the Adenugas ,the Obattolas, the Otedollas do not have their equals in the south south or the south east.
Where do you get the idea that those folks would willingly roll out billions to persecute a war against who the SE/SS where the core of their billions came from?
Even if they did for filial reason they would be doing that,knowing that that would be the end of any investment that have past the cost line of ondo.
The SE/SS may never really trust each other but every baby knows that the only way the north would reach the SS is throught the SE and Edo .The have admited to themselves in separate fora that if the core north were to engage the SE they wold have to intervene and not wait because if they stood by and did nothing they would have more to lose than the SE .
For everyone in this conversation I think it will benefit you all to take a long hard dispassionate look at the map of Nigeria before voicing/typing out any opinions you would have formed.
Weigh you opinions against the cold hard truth that the map represents and be sure that you opinions stand in the face of the realites that the map presents

Brilliant point of view

Not just states map but ethno-religious map of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EMANY01(m): 12:09am On Aug 02, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Brilliant point of view

Not just states map but ethno-religious map of Nigeria.
| meant to make that clarification/emphasis by finding such a map but posting with my phone has challenges
Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 12:16am On Aug 02, 2014
EMANY01:
| meant to make that clarification/emphasis by finding such a map but posting with my phone has challenges

I understand
Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Yujin(m): 12:20am On Aug 02, 2014
So far, the contributions have been expository and honestly, I have learnt some things. As for the torkaka guy, he speaks against the SE with sentiments. All he sees is the SE lying low while the C/north pounds her. Again, it is not difficult noticing that he underestimates the Igbos so much as to single out the SE among other areas that would be attacked.
What people like him fail to consider is that every aggressor has a motive. What is the motive of the core north attacking only the SE?
I will not discuss our offensive strategies here.

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by pazienza(m): 12:31am On Aug 02, 2014
The Yolobars cannot be neutral when Nigeria falls into chaos and war.

If Nigeria falls, the north would march south for obvious reasons, they would need a port if they were to sustain a war against the East, the Yolobars would either make their ports available for the North, or risk Invasion by the North, knowing the Yolobas they would choose to avoid the wrath of the North by allowing them to use their ports for weapons and food importation, this single action would have made sure they can no longer claim neutrality,but would now be seen as enemies by the East.

Should the Yolobas decide to deny the North the use of their ports, the North would invade and annihilate them,and no matter how they(yolobars) try,they would never get the support of the East to fight off the North,as the East would be scared of getting trapped in a Yoloba treachery that might see the Yolobas drawing our troops out of the East to Yolobaland,leaving our homeland ill protected and allowing the North to invade us.

The bottomline is that the East can never trust Yolobars again,we would be stupid to do so, considering our Biafra history and Yolobars Islamic factor.

The way i see it,the Yolobas in event of any war outbreak in Naija,would have no option but to align with the North. The both regions have Islam, it is a match made in heaven.

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by pazienza(m): 12:42am On Aug 02, 2014
In the light of my first post,Edo state, Kogi and Benue are going to be the Buffer zone for the East.

As long as we maintain our sea access,and play the international game better this time around, we can always stop the Yoloba-Arewa alliance from breaching our buffer.

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Francis5: 12:47am On Aug 02, 2014
pazienza: The Yolobars cannot be neutral when Nigeria falls into chaos and war.

If Nigeria falls, the north would march south for obvious reasons, they would need a port if they were to sustain a war against the East, the Yolobars would either make their ports available for the North, or risk Invasion by the North, knowing the Yolobas they would choose to avoid the wrath of the North by allowing them to use their ports for weapons and food importation, this single action would have made sure they can no longer claim neutrality,but would now be seen as enemies by the East.

Should the Yolobas decide to deny the North the use of their ports, the North would invade and annihilate them,and no matter how they(yolobars) try,they would never get the support of the East to fight off the North,as the East would be scared of getting trapped in a Yoloba treachery that might see the Yolobas drawing our troops out of the East to Yolobaland,leaving our homeland ill protected and allowing the North to invade us.

The bottomline is that the East can never trust Yolobars again,we would be stupid to do so, considering our Biafra history and Yolobars Islamic factor.

The way i see it,the Yolobas in event of any war outbreak in Naija,would have no option but to align with the North. The both regions have Islam, it is a match made in heaven.

The Christians in SW are endangered species much like their northern counterparts

1 Like

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Francis5: 12:51am On Aug 02, 2014
pazienza:
and play the international game better this time around .

Yeah Ojukwu was a bit lacking in that respect. Still, without him the Igbo nation will be history today.

1 Like

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by pazienza(m): 1:06am On Aug 02, 2014
Francis5:

Yeah Ojukwu was a bit lacking in that respect. Still, without him the Igbo nation will be history today.

He equally failed to deal with what i call 'the Yoloba factor', from Awo,Aluko to Banjo, he allowed his emotions to get the better of him.

Once we deal with 'the Yoloba factor' well and get the international politics right,we would be home and dry.

The East got invaded and ultimately captured because, Ojukwu failed in those two areas, we must never repeat his mistakes.

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by pazienza(m): 1:09am On Aug 02, 2014
Francis5:

The Christians in SW are endangered species much like their northern counterparts

I can only imagine.

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by SamIkenna: 2:32am On Aug 02, 2014
semitunde:

Well, I guess I understand the emotions that come with having to do something, help notwithstanding.

But I'm not talking about if Yoruba will fight or not. I'm talking about how the war might play out. Yorubas will fight if and when they have to. Nothing will change that. It is the how that's up for debate.

Look, your points are somewhat valid as regards defending your territory from an aggressor, the mistake you and many others make is not realising that you do the same, I mean being aggressive to others. But you may not realise it, just like those you accuse don't too.

If you see any part of this country being aggressive, they are reacting to something.

Northerners are mainly represented by their religious people and their extremists are showing their hands. What gets me confused is that Igbo use most opportunities to hit at Yoruba, deservedly or not, and even when the issues have no connection with Yoruba.

Verbal attacks are made on other tribes but the most vitriolic is saved for Yoruba; funny enough Yoruba are the closest to allies the Igbos can get. Its a strange method igbos have chosen to have friends.

I guess you understand this and that's partly why you go with the "we can do it alone anyway" line? Its called pride. It goes before a fall.

You touched on few interesting points that I feel the need to hash out so we be clear. These points are as follows:
1. That you understand where Igbo people's emotions are emanating from.
2. That Yoruba can and will fight if need be.
3. That Igbos are as aggressive as core north but do not realize it.
4. That Igbos unjustly and maliciously attack Yorubas for no reason, and this is one issue that confuses you.
5. That Yorubas are potential Igbo allies, perhaps.
6. That Igbos believe in go alone attitude due to pride (I inferred from your tone that you meant we have humongous pride).

Lets will deal with #6 first, and this is what I have to say: I strongly believe its essential that humans have a good dose of pride, in fact I doubt the world would be this developed without a huge amount of pride which the West infused into their pursuit of philosophy and study of natural laws. Roman empire, Greek city states of Athens and Spartans, British empire, French and German empires, Soviet Union, and USA, all these great societies have at one time or the other demonstrated immense pride and even used it in different occasions to rally their people together for a common cause. If anyone believes that pride had no place in the space race between the super powers then that person is indeed an alien. Pride, fear of domination, and intent to dominate were the potent mixture that spurred and pushed the British, french, German, Russia, American, and Japanese to exceed the limit knowledge/science arbitrarily imposed on humanity the dawn of 18th century. There's nothing wrong with pride, ignorance is where the wrong is resident. If I didn't have pride as an individual I'm sure I would not be who or where I am today. Pride makes a man choose death over slavery, domination and/or subjugation. It made men choose confrontation with murderous military dictators rather than be humiliated and bossed by barely literate men in uniform. You said we have it a lot, perhaps you're right and I thank God we did because without it we would not have risen past the decimation, lack, and economic impotence imposed on us by the Nigerian state at the end of civil war. Many of us today were destined by the Nigerian state/civil war victors to be lower than Almajiris. This truth is lost in many of you whose parents, friends, and relatives benefited from our near extermination and artificial destitution. So, do we have pride? Yes we do and in great quantity. Should we change it? Why should we change what catapulted many of us from imposed Almjiridom to success. Think about it for a second - from complete decimation and genocide to 20 pounds in a harsh black African country, and in less than 40 years we've grown a visible population of vibrant and enterprising men and women with little or no physical scars of the civil war. If you ask me, I'm extraordinarily proud of my people. The coast is still foggy and a lot needs to be done but we'll get there.

1. That you understand where Igbo people's emotions are emanating from:
Moving on to number one, I would say its highly unlikely you understand where the emotion is coming from. Saying you entirely understand it is akin to saying you fully understand the emotions of Holocaust survivors. I hear this lot: let's 'move' on, the war's in the past, we have a future together, you're playing victim - choose whether you're a Nigerian or Biafran so we may have peace. My answers have always been: move on to what and where? what future are these people talking about? Of course you dragged us back in this hell-hole so you might as well go deaf 'cause I'll speak of Biafra if and when I want to. If you cared so much about not hearing it why then did you have to kill 2-3 million out of 12 million Igbos/Biafrans that lived in 1967. You don't slap a baby and impose silence on her. If you loved or cared so much about 'quiet' then don't slap the child. Of course its humiliating to be dragged back in a house you ditched. As a man my soul feels wounded, its akin to being violated in a market square in full glare and amusement of both the young, old, and the perverted. No matter what I do or where I go the shame goes with me and to make matters worse, the principal architects of my public violation never fail to gloat or remind me of the sad episode. They wonder why I refuse to partake in their community church aka 'One Nigeria.' They preach how great the oneness is but when I look up I only see the same perverts and/or their children hanging on to my personal effects their parents stole during my public undressing. For a people to have successfully carried and internalized that shame for 44 years and now waking up to a new reality of possible attack and humiliation by the same people? And you say you understand where the emotion is coming from? No you don't. Hell would be 3 orders of magnitude colder than the explosion of the 44 years of suppressed anger, furry, vengeance, and most importantly humiliation. Perhaps, now you understand why the threat from Muslim north and the issue of who's our ally and who's not is infuriating.

2. That Yoruba can and will fight if need be:
I completely agree, not because all humans posses the courage to fight any battle they find worthy but also because the Oyo empire successfully halted Fulani spread southwards. Without taking anything from any group, I believe that its highly likely that Oyo empire saved the whole south from unprepared head-on collision with very organized and murderous Fulani jihadists. And as is always the case, the emaciation of a lion does not negate the size or ferocity of his heart. So, the Yorubas still posses and will continue to posses that lion's heart.

3. Igbos are as aggressive as core north but do not realize it:
This assertion is a huge joke and to make it interesting I would dare anyone to produce an article from our national dailies or from the internet in which there's a flicker of evidence that a non-Igbo was killed in the East because of his or her ethnic group. Of course with the exception of Hausa-Fulani which, as we're aware, receive reprisals after their usual slaughter of southerners in the north. If you can't produce that then I would expect you give us the rationale under which you designate Igbo as aggressive people. Unless you meant we should always keep quiet and roll over for peace's sake or count our body-bags and wait on God.

4. That Igbos unjustly and maliciously attack Yorubas for no reason, and this is one issue that confuses you:
This assertion cuts both ways. To say one group does it while the other is saintly is disingenuous. Its high school so let the high schoolers knock themselves out with it.

5. That Yorubas are potential Igbo allies, perhaps:
Yea, I agree but given the age-old mistrust and the toxic politics of the last 4 years I'm not sure if I'm ready to bet on that.

6 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Dibiachukwu: 3:27am On Aug 02, 2014
Everybody is being delusional in this thread. There would be no alliances. Many sabotages. No remaining infrastructure. Millions will die everywhere. War will spill over into many other African countries. Desert warfare will last for decades. Creating many desert lords (terrorist groups). Our world will never ever be the same again. Emotions from past wars,struggle for power and control, thrill of war, vengeance are attributes that would influence the next war. This is 2014. A lot of people don't mind dying, and their are heaps of ammunition floating everywhere. Nato, America, UN and AU would get involved. Nothing is predictable, And it is very foolish for anybody to assume that a well bred Igboman would align with middle belt or niger delta. They have to pay us and serve us, like they did with their oyibo masters. Any alliances would see a dis-united Igboland. There would be groups serving their own interests. People carrying out their own personal vendetta. Simply put, it is not going to be a controlled environment.

1 Like

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by emiye(m): 4:19am On Aug 02, 2014
War mongers here again, Majority are the usual suspects, the igbos. undecided undecided

Someone on this thread, even said yorubas are the only ones who can break away peacefully, i must say there can be no peaceful unilateral breakway, but an unanimous one.

Igbos banking on war have lost the war before it started, roughly 15 million out of the 30 million igbos in nigeria are not on ibo land., in the event of war, they will be displaced, their means of livelihood sacked, investments will be lost, the human population in ibo land will be increased by 100% in a matter of months, housing needs becomes a problem, scarcity of money, food, available infrastructures overstretched, competition will be stiffer, Only then will you realise the mess you have created for yourself. In other regions, the net migration will lead to drop in population for a region like SW, or a marginal increase in population for some other regions.

Oyo state is just the size of all 5 SE states, imagine over 30million people crammed in to it, with half of them more or less displaced citizens.

Ibos should please keep quiet about war,their standing pre 1967 war is worse off now, they shot themselves in the foot, when they believed so much in one Nigeria than the other regions, migrating outside their region within the country and investing in it .

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by Ahuitzotl: 7:19am On Aug 02, 2014
emiye: [s]War mongers here again, Majority are the usual suspects, the igbos. undecided undecided

Someone on this thread, even said yorubas are the only ones who can break away peacefully, i must say there can be no peaceful unilateral breakway, but an unanimous one.

Igbos banking on war have lost the war before it started, roughly 15 million out of the 30 million igbos in nigeria are not on ibo land., in the event of war, they will be displaced, their means of livelihood sacked, investments will be lost, the human population in ibo land will be increased by 100% in a matter of months, housing needs becomes a problem, scarcity of money, food, available infrastructures overstretched, competition will be stiffer, Only then will you realise the mess you have created for yourself. In other regions, the net migration will lead to drop in population for a region like SW, or a marginal increase in population for some other regions.

Oyo state is just the size of all 5 SE states, imagine over 30million people crammed in to it, with half of them more or less displaced citizens.

Ibos should please keep quiet about war,their standing pre 1967 war is worse off now, they shot themselves in the foot, when they believed so much in one Nigeria than the other regions, migrating outside their region within the country and investing in it .[/s]
[b]Little Japan created an empire off China,Vietnam,korea,phillipines,all of south east asia only to be halted by the americans in midway how much less a tech savvy population far bigger than japan with a land mass far bigger than economic super power Singapore.In the event of war,the yorobars will become enslaved,subjugated and subsequently annexed by their overlords in the north who will desire control of the excellent port and coastal facilities to run their economy and in order to stave off guerilla assistance to the yorobars hence isolating them,mutual detente will be signed with the igbos with a view to not only curry their goodwill nor upset the applecart as it concerns their economic enhancing ventures but enlist their economic building prowess for a stronger northern economy in northern held territories of Lagos,Ibadam,Illorin,Kano,Kaduna even Maiduguri.The yorobar situation will not be improved as religious affiliation and in fighting will tip the moslems with northern assistance against the christians with the latter fleeing the menace of the northern jihadists into refugee settlement camps of Cotonou,Portonovo,Alauda down to Lome.Unfortunately this brain drain will further exacerbate the situation as there will be no intellectual nor technological platform to resist the Jihad occupation of the Southwest.And so the map of Nigeria will be redrawn with Arewa republic taking Southwest,the kogi and kwara part of the middle belt whilst Benue is left to align with the SS/SE.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by semitunde: 7:33am On Aug 02, 2014
SamIkenna:

You touched on few interesting points that I feel the need to hash out so we be clear. These points are as follows:
1. That you understand where Igbo people's emotions are emanating from.
2. That Yoruba can and will fight if need be.
3. That Igbos are as aggressive as core north but do not realize it.
4. That Igbos unjustly and maliciously attack Yorubas for no reason, and this is one issue that confuses you.
5. That Yorubas are potential Igbo allies, perhaps.
6. That Igbos believe in go alone attitude due to pride (I inferred from your tone that you meant we have humongous pride).

Lets will deal with #6 first, and this is what I have to say: I strongly believe its essential that humans have a good dose of pride, in fact I doubt the world would be this developed without a huge amount of pride which the West infused into their pursuit of philosophy and study of natural laws. Roman empire, Greek city states of Athens and Spartans, British empire, French and German empires, Soviet Union, and USA, all these great societies have at one time or the other demonstrated immense pride and even used it in different occasions to rally their people together for a common cause. If anyone believes that pride had no place in the space race between the super powers then that person is indeed an alien. Pride, fear of domination, and intent to dominate were the potent mixture that spurred and pushed the British, french, German, Russia, American, and Japanese to exceed the limit knowledge/science arbitrarily imposed on humanity the dawn of 18th century. There's nothing wrong with pride, ignorance is where the wrong is resident. If I didn't have pride as an individual I'm sure I would not be who or where I am today. Pride makes a man choose death over slavery, domination and/or subjugation. It made men choose confrontation with murderous military dictators rather than be humiliated and bossed by barely literate men in uniform. You said we have it a lot, perhaps you're right and I thank God we did because without it we would not have risen past the decimation, lack, and economic impotence imposed on us by the Nigerian state at the end of civil war. Many of us today were destined by the Nigerian state/civil war victors to be lower than Almajiris. This truth is lost in many of you whose parents, friends, and relatives benefited from our near extermination and artificial destitution. So, do we have pride? Yes we do and in great quantity. Should we change it? Why should we change what catapulted many of us from imposed Almjiridom to success. Think about it for a second - from complete decimation and genocide to 20 pounds in a harsh black African country, and in less than 40 years we've grown a visible population of vibrant and enterprising men and women with little or no physical scars of the civil war. If you ask me, I'm extraordinarily proud of my people. The coast is still foggy and a lot needs to be done but we'll get there.

1. That you understand where Igbo people's emotions are emanating from:
Moving on to number one, I would say its highly unlikely you understand where the emotion is coming from. Saying you entirely understand it is akin to saying you fully understand the emotions of Holocaust survivors. I hear this lot: let's 'move' on, the war's in the past, we have a future together, you're playing victim - choose whether you're a Nigerian or Biafran so we may have peace. My answers have always been: move on to what and where? what future are these people talking about? Of course you dragged us back in this hell-hole so you might as well go deaf 'cause I'll speak of Biafra if and when I want to. If you cared so much about not hearing it why then did you have to kill 2-3 million out of 12 million Igbos/Biafrans that lived in 1967. You don't slap a baby and impose silence on her. If you loved or cared so much about 'quiet' then don't slap the child. Of course its humiliating to be dragged back in a house you ditched. As a man my soul feels wounded, its akin to being violated in a market square in full glare and amusement of both the young, old, and the perverted. No matter what I do or where I go the shame goes with me and to make matters worse, the principal architects of my public violation never fail to gloat or remind me of the sad episode. They wonder why I refuse to partake in their community church aka 'One Nigeria.' They preach how great the oneness is but when I look up I only see the same perverts and/or their children hanging on to my personal effects their parents stole during my public undressing. For a people to have successfully carried and internalized that shame for 44 years and now waking up to a new reality of possible attack and humiliation by the same people? And you say you understand where the emotion is coming from? No you don't. Hell would be 3 orders of magnitude colder than the explosion of the 44 years of suppressed anger, furry, vengeance, and most importantly humiliation. Perhaps, now you understand why the threat from Muslim north and the issue of who's our ally and who's not is infuriating.

2. That Yoruba can and will fight if need be:
I completely agree, not because all humans posses the courage to fight any battle they find worthy but also because the Oyo empire successfully halted Fulani spread southwards. Without taking anything from any group, I believe that its highly likely that Oyo empire saved the whole south from unprepared head-on collision with very organized and murderous Fulani jihadists. And as is always the case, the emaciation of a lion does not negate the size or ferocity of his heart. So, the Yorubas still posses and will continue to posses that lion's heart.

3. Igbos are as aggressive as core north but do not realize it:
This assertion is a huge joke and to make it interesting I would dare anyone to produce an article from our national dailies or from the internet in which there's a flicker of evidence that a non-Igbo was killed in the East because of his or her ethnic group. Of course with the exception of Hausa-Fulani which, as we're aware, receive reprisals after their usual slaughter of southerners in the north. If you can't produce that then I would expect you give us the rationale under which you designate Igbo as aggressive people. Unless you meant we should always keep quiet and roll over for peace's sake or count our body-bags and wait on God.

4. That Igbos unjustly and maliciously attack Yorubas for no reason, and this is one issue that confuses you:
This assertion cuts both ways. To say one group does it while the other is saintly is disingenuous. Its high school so let the high schoolers knock themselves out with it.

5. That Yorubas are potential Igbo allies, perhaps:
Yea, I agree but given the age-old mistrust and the toxic politics of the last 4 years I'm not sure if I'm ready to bet on that.

If I decide to respond to what you put here, it will require a whole page. But know this:

1. Histories are histories, what you know about ur may not be the truth, but just a version of it, the version they want you to hear. This goes for all tribes.

2. Many nations have rushed to their ruin in wars based on emotions. The survivors are the strategic nations, and even they do get their fingers burned when they become emotional. ( Vietnam).

3. Don't let the fact that you think your beliefs are correct becloud your judgement that other human think you are wrong. Don't ever fail to find out why. And even when you think they are still wrong in their thoughts, don't fail to be clear headed enough to seek middle grounds. Else, even if you win any battle, you may have lost the opportunity of averting an eternal war. If the opposition thinks like you do (and best believe they can and do); it will be a tit for tat for a long time.

4. What is a war to you? An end or a means to an end? Do you want your pride back as tribe, as humans and you feel the war can give it back? You may lose that war and be worse of for it. For yorubas, going to war, may be because they feel we are not fulfilling our true potential and can get better on our own. Is that the same for you? Yorubas want to survive the war and build the nation they want. Key word is survive to build our nation after the war.

If Igbos quest for war is to satisfy a historical thirst for pride then, with the hope that those who survive will continue with the lineage, its a risky and I dare say foolish roadmap. Igbo consistently tell us of how they have managed to better themselves after the war, and while this is half the story, going into a war for pride negates this gains they talk about often.

I go back to Igbo hatred for Yoruba. I understand that there's a thin line between love and hate. The person who you love is the same person susceptible to the most hate. Others can't hurt you that much because you have little regard for them emotionally. The fact that Yoruba, who have the penchant for tribal pride, were your benefactors after the war, is a wound that is yet to heal for igbos, they seek for many ways to address this. Seeking alliances with them therefore becomes emotionally difficult- yorubas I agree, are good at taunting, but so do the Igbo.

Everything you know can be correct to you, but believe this, it can also be totally wrong to others. How do you find middle grounds? Its not necessary? Then war for you is an end, and can be lost just because of this perception.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across. I may be confusing at times because I'm just trying to sort different factors for a summarized view.

I will also not reply anymore, maybe our posts can educate others with a little more balanced view of the realities around them, is why I post. I don't particularly like accusing and counter accusing. Have a good weekend.

2 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 7:58am On Aug 02, 2014
emiye: War mongers here again, Majority are the usual suspects, the igbos. undecided undecided

Ibos should please keep quiet about war,their standing pre 1967 war is worse off now, they shot themselves in the foot, when they believed so much in one Nigeria than the other regions, migrating outside their region within the country and investing in it .

Trash

Waste of education

How do you arrive at the conclusion that Igbos are 30 million when we have not included ethnicity in any of our census

3 Likes

Re: In The Event Of A Break War, How The Middle Belt Will Align/fare by EasternLeopard: 8:08am On Aug 02, 2014
semitunde:

If I decide to respond to what you put here, it will require a while page. But know this:

1. Histories are histories, what you know about ur may not be the truth, but just a version of it, the version they want you to hear. This goes for all tribes.

2. Many nations have rushed to their ruin in wars based on emotions. The survivors are the strategic nations, and even they do get their fingers burned when they become emotional. ( Vietnam).

3. Don't let the fact that you think your beliefs are correct becloud your judgement that other human think you are wrong. Don't ever fail to find out why. And even when you think they are still wring in their thoughts

What will Yorubas exchange for arms.?

When you answer that question truthfully then you will know that you are at the mercy of Arewa Biafrans ND forces.

Even the oil in Ishekiri is closer to ND forces.

The oil in Edo/Ondo a sizeable portion is on Ijaw speaking areas.

So those of you thinking land size will save you guys should ponder deeply if your near inability to raise sufficient fund to arm you troops will bring to fruit your geographical advantage.

When you ponder deeply, you will know why Awo chickened out of his quest for Odua republic

You will understand why Awo introduced indigenization policy of which Yorubas were the greatest beneficiaries

You will understand why Awo stole our money through 20 pounds policy

The fact is

Awo realised that Yoruba region do not have any reasonable resources that can finance her war.

That is why your leaders carved some part of Ijaw land into Edo and Ondo states.

That is why your leaders tried to revive ancient friendship with Ishekiris and Binis.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

EFCC To Summon Okonjo-Iweala Over Arms Deal / President Buhari Inaugurates Boards Of NNPC, NCDMB & NNRA (photos) / Obaseki Rejects Borehole, Toilets As Constituency Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.