Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,507 members, 7,812,566 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (32441 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 / Nigeria The Most Corrupt Nation In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Jalal(m): 10:45pm On Jun 11, 2006
Hey Afeni i was only kidding no need to get all worked up, anyway i sympathize with ur feelings, but to move forward we must all unite!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by DaHitler(m): 11:00pm On Jun 11, 2006
The North might need a united Nigeria to move forward. But the South would move forward at a lot faster pace without excess baggage.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by buddy(m): 3:25pm On Jun 15, 2006
Jalal, do you relly think so?

i am not sure about that.

I think we are just pretending to like each other.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Orikinla(m): 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2006
The North is responsible for the underdevelopment of Nigeria. The Hausas are dragging us back.

I AM NOT A TRIBALIST.

The Hausas have ruined Nigeria. And all the billions of dollars the past Hausa rulers stole were not even used to develop their regions.

The Northern regions are still the poorest in Nigeria. And they are not even proactive.

If you visit the rural areas in the North, you will curse their rulers.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by DaHitler(m): 2:33pm On Jun 19, 2006
Orikinla, if you say the truth on this forum, you are called a tribalist.

What you bring up is a really good point. I always got the impression that the Northerners that come to Abuja or the Lagos to speak on behalf of the Northerners that supposedly make up majority of Nigeria, are actually speaking for themselves. These leaders of theres care nothing about the people. It is the same leaders that told them that the polio vaccine would make them impotent. Now that there were outbreaks all over the North, they still refused to admit that they were wrong.

Honestly, in a perfect world, the Northern leaders would be taken outside and shot. Not in the head, but a few inches from the heart so that they can bleed slowly while the heart struggles to pump the ever reducing blood supply through their body. Hmm . , . . cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Orikinla(m): 3:01pm On Jun 19, 2006
Afeni,
Let us just call a spadea spade.

That is why I laugh at all their so called rich tycoons, the Dangotes, Rabius and Dantatas and now the IBBs.

I am on Bonny Island and staying in a modern estate that is better than the best estates in Lagos and Abuja and this Nigeria LNG RA was built within 10 years. And more Nigeria LNG RAs are being built in my presence. So, the models for modernization are available right here in Nigeria.

Donald Duke is doing it in Cross River and I have said it that if Donald Duke can do it, then the other governors have no excuses for their failures.

We can transform Nigeria into a developed country within 20 years.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 8:33am On Oct 07, 2006
Nigeria was ranked the poorest based on the HDI index not the GDP per capita, if by the DDP per capita then we are in the last 20, Nigeria is the 56th richest country in the world in terms of cash (GDP) but too much population means each person gets $1100 per capita if shared equally, The number of people in Nigeria that live below the poverty line has dropped from 60% to 54.6 so therefor our stunt growth in the GDP per capita is a little bit funny blah blah blah blah bloohoolahhhh lalalalalalal grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by mickyarams: 8:56pm On Oct 09, 2006
I agree with the bloke that blamed the northerners for our slow development in Nigeria.While most southern states are making efforts to moderise their enviroment,The Northern governors are on a ing mat planning to introduce sharia law in their states in order to get more disabled people and beggars on the streets.As for me i reckon the northerners are still living in the stone age and I blame Lord Lugard for amalgamating southern Nigeria with Northern Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by obedz(m): 12:29am On Dec 30, 2006
2nd poorest, hw come , abi magas no dey drop again?? grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Jaybaba(m): 5:20pm On Dec 30, 2006
The reason we are the poorest, 2nd poorest or even on the list of poverty is because we have been cursed with bad leadership. We clamoured for democracy and we were made to believe we chose OBJ.

OBJ rather than fight poverty by the best means possible, he prefers to fight corruption not as an issue but as a person. He is fighting individuals whom his scout perceives to be corrupt and not necessarily corruption as an evil. He is also carrying out a faceless reform(s) program. He convinces us he needs to privatise everything. If the role of govt today is not to provide an enabling environment for businesses to thrive what then is it? To give licenses or sell corporations?

In 7 yrs plus we are still not where we want or even ought to be. We need to remove the PDP and give some people with ideas a chance. That is the way forward.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by mazaje(m): 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2006
lol though all parts of nigeria is poor i will like to say that the northern people are a disgrace to nigeria. despite all the money the northern leaders stole, they still have nothing to show for it, instead of bringing development to their people they keep on wasting their time trying to use religion as a tool to keep fooling them selves, instead of employing the youths they prefer to use them as proponents of sharia , eg hisba and what not. na wah for naija sha may God help us all lol
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by omofineboy(m): 1:27pm On Jan 04, 2007
@ Mazaje

I want to believe this is not a tribal site, why do we need to be tribal in our comments, are you saying yorubas or ibos are not corrupt, they havent stolen pls lets stop all these tribal sentiments and lets face the facts. whatever you say about a northener is applicable to a southerner, the whole country stinks and not just northern part.

@Jaybaba

you are correct, I am suprised the word poor was used may be they should have used "poverty ridden" we would have been the best, Nigeria is not a poor country at all we are not poor, but poverty is our watchword owing to bad leadership.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by mojosolo: 5:44pm On Jan 24, 2007
cryi think i should be weeping but why, pls come to nigeria and stay for 1 year and you know rich nigeria is. the only problem is coruption.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Easyy(m): 5:58pm On Jan 24, 2007
This kind of thing is one of the killers of Nigeria

http://nigerianinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=2

Gov. Igbinedion with prositutes and spending money mindlessly
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by 4Play(m): 8:28pm On Jan 24, 2007
If we took away Northern Nigeria,the rest of Nigeria will do quite well.Northern Nigeria is a financial burden on the rest of Nigeria.They contribute barely anything to the national cake and function as a parasite

This is not about tribalism but an honest reflection of Nigeria.

If u remember,the British got the idea to amalgamate the Southern and Northern Protectorates in order to subsidise the North.They had difficulty financing Northern Nigeria and so thought they could alleviate the problem by uniting the two and using resources from Southern Nigeria.

This has gone on for too long.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 8:43am On Jan 25, 2007
4 Play:

If we took away Northern Nigeria,the rest of Nigeria will do quite well.Northern Nigeria is a financial burden on the rest of Nigeria.They contribute barely anything to the national cake and function as a parasite

This is not about tribalism but an honest reflection of Nigeria.

If u remember,the British got the idea to amalgamate the Southern and Northern Protectorates in order to subsidise the North.They had difficulty financing Northern Nigeria and so thought they could alleviate the problem by uniting the two and using resources from Southern Nigeria.

This has gone on for too long.

Although it is wrong to say such a thing I feel you on this.
Another fact 95% of Nigeria's worst dictators came from the north
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by samorijack(m): 8:12pm On Jan 25, 2007
I AGREE WITH THE REPORT,NIGERIA DOES NOT PRODUCE ANYTHING OF GLOBAL ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE BESIDES CRUDE OIL,AND YET WE HAVE LONG QUEUES AT OUR FUEL STATIONS.YOU DON'T TELL A BLIND MAN IT'S RAINNING HE'LL FEEL IT,IF LIVING STANDARDS ARE IMPROVING WE'LL ALL FEEL IT, ANY COUNTRY THAT DEPENDS SOLELY ON NATURAL RESOURCES WHICH ARE FINITE AND ARE SUBJECT TO REDUCED RELIVANCE AND DOES NOT DEVELOP IT'S HUMAN POTENTIAL IS INDEED A POOR COUNTRY,AND THAT'S JUST WHAT NIGERIA IS, SO SO SO SAD
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by stanech: 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2007
Well i thought we were the poorest tongue\ Why second poorest

Will they still cheat us on this let them hand the first position to us grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Easyy(m): 6:08pm On Jan 26, 2007
stanech:

Well i thought we were the poorest tongue\ Why second poorest

Will they still cheat us on this let them hand the first position to us grin

shocked
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 5:00am On Jan 27, 2007
2nd poorest my ass, Nigeria is the 47th richest in the world in GDP(PPP) and 164th in per capita, so unless there are 165 countries in the world Nigeria is not the second poorest wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by oyinboaja: 10:06pm On Jan 28, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by stanech: 5:35am On Jan 29, 2007
dblock:

2nd poorest my ass, Nigeria is the 47th richest in the world in GDP(PPP) and 164th in per capita, so unless there are 165 countries in the world Nigeria is not the second poorest wink

There is no way they rate being the poorest or ricest with GDP. They rate it with the standard of Living of the people,
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 6:43am On Jan 29, 2007
stanech:

There is no way they rate being the poorest or ricest with GDP. They rate it with the standard of Living of the people,

Nigeris isn't the second poorest in that either, check your stats wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Payna7(m): 11:48pm On Feb 09, 2007
nigeria the second poorest country? wat! this is crazy. that is not at all true. do you see nigeria in this list

World's 50 Poorest Countries

UN list of least developed countries
Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

no nigeria is not there. we are not doing to well but well enough to keep ourselfs off of that list
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by 4Play(m): 12:09am On Feb 10, 2007
@Pay_na_7

Where did u get your list from?

Are u trying to tell me we are better off than Equatorial Guinea?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 1:45am On Feb 10, 2007
Actually if you looked at a survey of Equatorial Guinea you'll see that the nation isn't hype as suggested with all the forecasts, the country is making money and it's got a small population, but not enough is being invested so the nation although is higher than Nigeria in a lot of charts shouldn't really be, at least not yet. I think Mr topic got the idea that Nigeria was the second poorest from some US intelligence prediction, those predictions are based on little knowledge and don't necessarily mean anything at all. And oh yeah nigeria's standard of living is on the rise, the GDp has being rising immensely for the past 20 years but it couldn't keep up with the population figures thus having little impact ont the standard of living. wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Payna7(m): 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2007
i searched the world's poorest countries on yahoo search. Nigeria is not rich but in terms of Black Africa, Nigeria is the second richest country. first is south africa.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by LePhilippe(m): 5:28pm On Feb 10, 2007
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Give us a good president and 4 years. We shall rule the world!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by cuteNhot(f): 7:51am On Jul 14, 2007
Dream on, Dream on.

without a vision the people perish.
Where is Nigeria's vision?
Can you tell me the twenty years plan of action for National Development?
Also a country get a leader it deserv
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by chidichris(m): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2007
there are bases for measuring the wealth of every nation.
the average income of every individual in the country so it could be true that nigeria will soon be first with the rate our funds are been shifted out of the country.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 11:51am On Jul 14, 2007
Criteria.

Wetin be Criteria.

All una Yarn accounts for nuffin less, you take Criteria into consideration.

What's your criteria. HDI?, GDP Per Capita? Outright GDP, Geni Coefficient?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 12:15pm On Jul 14, 2007
In fact Nigeria is the poorest country in the world!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

AIT Replies Tinubu, Demands N100bn Damage / DSS Arrests End SARS Protester, Emmanuel Adebayo In Osun / President Buhari Vaccinates One Of His Grandchildren Against Polio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.