Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,425 members, 7,812,249 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (32438 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 / Nigeria The Most Corrupt Nation In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by MILITIA(f): 10:29pm On Jul 14, 2007
@Topic
I am surprised that Nigeria even had a rank! tongue Things are really improving! lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 14, 2007
when the northerners finally go and join their brethren in Chad and Niger republic,things will improve greatly.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kulaShaker(f): 11:27pm On Jul 14, 2007
People
i am not surprised if they say it is a poor nation, i agree. A nation where millions go to bed without a meal is POOR. A nation where millions are homeless IS POOR, do not judge it by the billions of oil we have , because that is like saying a person with a credit card and no job is rich. Do not say because you see some people drive the latest cars, or have a Big gated house, or can send you and I abroad to live that the country as a whole is Rich. Only a handful really are rich(including the president, ex-presidos etc*treacherous bastards). This does not translate to a rich nation

I saw the real Nigeria when i looked in my brother's computer, he does lots of humanitarian work all over West Africa and our state is pitiful.

Yes we are poor , poor in vision, poor in leadership, and running low in spirit(thanks to ethnic propaganda bullshit) I wish you all would see beyond your own little existence, don't let the frivolous things fool you, when you go beneath the talk and spin, Nigeria is POOR!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by naijaking1: 5:38am On Jul 15, 2007
@topic

I'm sorry for those that have been "insulted" by this rating.

Reminds me of the days of Umaru Dikko, Joe Garba, etc, who often confused the level of their personal of wealth with those of the average naija person.

When that happens you have arrogance based on illussions of power, wealth, and even grandeur. People begin to swear that naija is not poor, because no body they know picks food from a gabage bin on the street, or better still that the report can't possibly be accurate.

The truth, well the truth, my brothers and sisters, bites!!!

We are not talking about GDP, we are talking about per capita income. I know many people from otherwise small and poorer African countries who do much better than naija people on the average.

My personal experience is that naija should have been last, ie the poorest nation on earth.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by nguage(m): 5:58am On Jul 15, 2007
babyosisi:

when the northerners finally go and join their brethren in Chad and Niger republic,things will improve greatly.
babyosisi:

nothin good will ever come from thy mouth. you are a tribalist, and a disgrace to the Nigerian state.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by dblock(m): 6:01am On Jul 15, 2007
@ naijaking1 Nigeria is not the Second poorest country on any criteria.

Nigeria is in the Top 50 based on GDP, and on GDP Per Capita Nigeria is not the Second poorest.

And once again, on HDI Nigeria is not the Second Poorest.

Nigeria has never been the second poorest, and I don't think ever will be.

This is a Fact. We may be poor, but we are definitely not the second poorest on Any criteria.

I am enlightened by FACTS not Propaganda
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by nguage(m): 6:14am On Jul 15, 2007
thank you dblock, people need facts. Every tom, dick and harry wants to talk about the Nigerian economy.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by naijaking1: 8:00am On Jul 15, 2007
can we have an expert explain this latest world bank rankings in layman's term devoid of political, emotional, or

tribalistic sentiments?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2007
I just looked at the statistics and Nigeria is richer than 20 countries. And is quickly accelerating. Maybe the person mistakenly typed #2 instead of #20.

I'm too tired and besides, I see nothing much to debate on this.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kulaShaker(f): 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2007
and who said Denial was a river in Egypt? shame on many of you
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2007
Look at what this clown above is saying. When the name of the document is in the first post. Nobody has even cared to seek the document and read it.

Maybe if they tried they would see how "current" this document is.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kulaShaker(f): 10:25pm On Jul 15, 2007
wow name calling, hope that makes your day extra special smiley the post is not about you, and my post was not to you. dont take yourself so seriously dude as for the clown bit, geez how play school is that .
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by chiogo(f): 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2007
@topic, very funny indeed! what happened to kenya, uganda, Tanzania, Haiti? yea iight.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 10:32pm On Jul 15, 2007
Off the top of my head, I can mention Eritrea, Somalia, Afghanistan, Malawi, Burundi, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Congo, Zimbabwe, Togo, Tanzania, Niger, Sierra Leone, Yemen, Tajikistan, Haiti, Chad.

And then again, besides the fact that this information is maliciously intended to demoralise Nigerians. the document being quoted is about 3 years old. I wonder why it is being quoted now.

Instead of the people that come with these forms of propaganda to be banned, it is those that are trying to correct them that get punish.
O Nairaland, we hail thee.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2007
Does this mean we are only better than Zimbabwe? grin At 3700% inflation rate we cant be much worse off!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kulaShaker(f): 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2007
you can name all the countries in this world, still can't hide the fact that Nigeria is poor. quit denying wink
my grief is not that the rank is wrong or correct, it is that people sound aggrieved that Nigeria is even mentioned there, many do not want to see that the nation is indeed poor, like i said before look beyond your gated mansions and count how many people are rich in Nigeria, even the poorest nation of this world has one or two rich men /women.

geez some country men are so arrogant . even if Nigeria was listed as 100 on the list people will still scream about it being a lie. this in psychology is what is known as RATIONALIZATION. get real people our country is poor , love Nigeria  as i do whole heartedly but i refuse to fool myself in this debate , it will be a slap in the face to those who are currently starving and dying right now in the GIANT OF AFRICA  we wish
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by bluesky4(f): 10:47pm On Jul 15, 2007
MILITIA :

I am surprised that Nigeria even had a rank! tongue Things are really improving! lipsrsealed

hahahahahaha
you're 2 funny!

@ topic
is there no recent rank? this was done in 2005
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kulaShaker(f): 10:52pm On Jul 15, 2007
First denial, next Vindication lol love this grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 10:52pm On Jul 15, 2007
Did I not mention Burkina Faso, Kenya, Mali, Sao Tome & Principe, Central African Republic, Djibouti, Guinea-Bissau, East Timor, Comoros, Western Sahara, Solomon Islands, Eritrea, Somalia, Afghanistan, Malawi, Burundi, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Congo, Zimbabwe, Togo, Tanzania, Niger, Sierra Leone, Yemen, Tajikistan, Haiti, Zambia and Chad.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by bluesky4(f): 10:55pm On Jul 15, 2007
@ Kulashaker
what kind vindication are u on about

the sad thing about it, most of the countries which are the poorest are African cry
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kulaShaker(f): 10:58pm On Jul 15, 2007
Blue-sky
lol you have not been reading my posts, sorry you don't get what i mean exactly , you so far off the mark with that
blue-sky:

the sad thing about it, most of the countries which are the poorest are African cry
the sad thing is Nigeria is poor and people refuse to admit it cry now thus is the real bugger, never mind the list
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 11:13pm On Jul 15, 2007
The sad thing is that some Nigerians want to force us into agreeing that Nigeria is the second poorest country in the world when it is absolutely very far from that.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by naijaking1: 5:33am On Jul 16, 2007
@kulashaker

strong word!!!

Why should people be angry to see that naija is rated low on the poverty scale? Because they have not personally experienced poverty, know someone poor, or seen someone poor. Tell me your village or town and I will tell you how poor the ordinary folks over there are.

When you compare small countries like Eriteria, Haiti, etc, with population less than Jigewa with the whole naija, na em be say you no sabi economics.

Still waiting for an expert in this area.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by MILITIA(f): 9:17am On Jul 16, 2007
denex:

I just looked at the statistics and Nigeria is richer than 20 countries. And is quickly accelerating. Maybe the person mistakenly typed #2 instead of #20.

I'm too tired and besides, I see nothing much to debate on this.

Is it because Ugwunba is not here? tongue

kulaShaker:

First denial, next Vindication lol love this grin grin grin

I beg my sista, sticka around for this politics section oh! wink Your help is greatly needed and appreciated here. Some of these "boys" here fit make me drown all my kids for fear of what they may become in future!----Brainless!

blue-sky:

@ Kulashaker
what kind vindication are u on about

Do you mean material poverty or spiritual poverty anyway you mean am, Nigeria will come out last or rankless---error! error! error! error!--no justifiable math to calculate rank for Naija cases oh! grin

denex:

Did I not mention[b] Burkina Faso, Kenya, Mali, Sao Tome & Principe, Central African Republic, Djibouti, Guinea-Bissau, East Timor, Comoros, Western Sahara, Solomon Islands, Eritrea, Somalia, Afghanistan, Malawi, Burundi, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Congo, Zimbabwe, Togo, Tanzania, Niger, Sierra Leone, Yemen, Tajikistan, Haiti, Zambia and Chad.[/b]

denex:

Off the top of my head, I can mention , Tanzania, Niger, Sierra Leone, Yemen, Tajikistan, Haiti, Chad.Eritrea, Somalia, Afghanistan, Malawi, Burundi, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Congo, Zimbabwe, Togo
And then again, besides the fact that this information is maliciously intended to demoralise Nigerians. the document being quoted is about 3 years old. I wonder why it is being quoted now.

Instead of the people that come with these forms of propaganda to be banned, it is those that are trying to correct them that get punish.
O Nairaland, we hail thee.

You sound tired? tongue  Please do not give up on us oh! tongue  Please can I just make a suggestion?  All these entities you mentioned are still settlements not countries! cool  That is why they were not included in the report! grin  Please go and do your homework!  We are talking of countries not settlements and whig whams!  That is why I was surprised that Nigeria actually had a rank, and some said I was funny!  He he he he he he!  Laff wan kill me this morning!  Abeg make I call Ugwumba for help? undecided

davidylan:

Does this mean we are only better than Zimbabwe? grin At 3700% inflation rate we can't be much worse off!

Please give us "evidence" on what Nigeria's contract "Inflating" rate is! grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 9:27am On Jul 16, 2007
It has been confirmed that you are on this forum to maximise you total number of posts so please continue. Don't let me stop you.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by MILITIA(f): 9:31am On Jul 16, 2007
denex:

It has been confirmed that you are on this forum to maximise you total number of posts so please continue. Don't let me stop you.

grin cheesy grin cheesy I am actually following by you "guys'" example! Thanks for showing me a short cut! kiss
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Jen33(m): 9:36am On Jul 16, 2007
Nigeria is not the second poorest country in the world by even the wildest stretch of the imagination.

These are LIES peddled by foreigners with a definite agenda.

Why else would they manufacture such an OBVIOUS LIE??

Some people say Nigerians are soooo poor, but I DISAGREE.

When you visit some of these African countries, and see the conditions especially outside their capital city, then you'll know what deprivation is.

In some of those places, you'll struggle to find a battery, radio, clothes, soft drinks, a wristwatch, etc  to buy outside their main cities.

But in Naija even in my remote village, you can find these things and more in abundance with loads of buyers, and this is replicated throughout the country. The availabilty of such wares MEANS there are people willing and able to buy them, else no one would carry them.

I realise this is all anecdotal, but that's what's on the ground. Even during festivities like Easter, Christmas and Sallah, you see ''poor starving Nigerians on less than a dollar a day'' doing serious last-minute shopping for clothes, perfumes, jewelry, and presents. On Christmas day itself at my local market, a hefty trade went on with peeps rushing in to purchase goats and cows at the last minute! And this is hundreds of miles from any city!

I've been to other parts of Africa, and you just don't see that.

I even had a Gambian arguing with me the other day when I told him that in my village he could buy deodorant, T shirts, fruit juice, toiletries etc, and wine and dine in an air-conditioned restaurant. The guy said it was a lie!

He was comparing it to his village in the Gambia where, according to him, such 'luxuries' were unavailable. Only in the capital Banjul, and one other town he mentioned, could you find such stuff. Then tomorrow they'll tell us Gambians too are 'richer than Nigerians'.

Also, this idea that ''80% of Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day'' is just LAUGHABLE.

I'm really not sure what the people who declare these figures are smoking. Someone on CBS News (usa) in a documentary even had the nerve to claim that 80% of people in LAGOS lived on ''a dollar a day''.

LAGOS! shocked

Now I'm not sure what part of Lagos this white correspondent went, but the wild inaccuracy of such claims is apparent even by a simple calculation of the cost of a bus ride from Oshodi to CMS, and disregarding every other expenditure including food, rent, school fees, and entertainment.

Yet incredibly, we have Nigerians who believe these worthless assertions.

But we cannot ALL be fooled. We realise there are serious problems of poverty in Nigeria requiring urgent attention, but we also know that the gravity of the problem has been WILDLY EXAGGERATED TO THE POINT OF FOOLISHNESS by foreigners with invariably ulterior motives.  

I think we should simply ignore them.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by MILITIA(f): 9:40am On Jul 16, 2007
error! error! error! error! error! error! error! lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 10:13am On Jul 16, 2007
Mistake mistake mistake mistake mistake mistake
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by denex: 10:17am On Jul 16, 2007
Mistake mistake mistake mistake mistake mistake
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by MILITIA(f): 10:45am On Jul 16, 2007
Ah-Ah denex! that is cheating! grin tongue
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by angel101(f): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2007
Nigeria's position on the poor list as far as I am concerned is irrelevant. the truth is that Nigeria IS a poor country. What we need to spend our energy and emotions on now is how to move the country out of this deplorable condition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo Of Buhari Having A Hard Laugh / Precious Chikwendu Shares Photo With Jonathan / PDP Governors Dump Atiku, Pick Sule Lamido - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.