Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,744 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. (33141 Views)

ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States / America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal / Uganda's Ugliest Man, Godfrey Baguma Welcomes 8th Child With His 2nd Wife (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by EbolaGoingHam(m): 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

Really, I don't understand Móron. Come back with a translator.

You can even read?? nah kitchen too civilize for you, just stay on the bed N.aked

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Abel202: 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
xp17: of all your irrational questions, sleeping with your dog should be the only crime here. this is because the dog has not right of agreeing or disagreeing and in some places it is punishable by law.

in as much you are above the legal age , you can have good and pleasurable sex with YOUR mum and sister, you can even have a 3some with them, it is no one's business. I have seen twin got married in Nigeria and both are lecturers in one of the Nigerian university.

I have just succeeded in drawing you out for the world to know the kind of mentall challeng you are facing presently. Because its quite obvious that you are mentally challenged.
So you can sleep with your mum & sister and can even have a 3some with them? And it's no one's business, abi?
Chai, I pity your relatives because they have lost a soul, that is if they had one in you before.
So many sick people on this faceless internet.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by BetaThings: 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
KiKatanga:

I don't want sodomy, but I don't see why I should stop someone who does want it from having it.
That is selfish!
Bad for you; bad for your fellow human being
enjoin him to be straight
Nothing good in being crooked
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by kobonaire(m): 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
KiKatanga:

I'm not mixing them up, I specified that in reference the previously quoted Wikipedia article. As I said you'd have to either attempt to take advantage of commonlaw marriage legislation or seek formal recognition to be in contravention of any practically applicable laws.
true, so that's effectively polygamy on the DL ... legally married to one while maintaining common law marriage to another (others). It still proves that polygamy is illegal in he states.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
[/quote][quote author=kobonaire]help me sister .... our Naija Internet no be powerful like your American one ... you know I de pay for every letter I type for Naira Land? tongue

I manage to do it in Nigeria. And so does everyone else on Nairaland. What's your excuse?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by sailormoon: 4:06pm On Aug 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

Nigerian children have seen worse than two people in love, I can assure you.
Lmao I screamed at this!

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by EbolaGoingHam(m): 4:06pm On Aug 01, 2014
sailormoon:
Again, I ask, who is this simpleton?

And i say..go back to the Kitchen, that's your natural habitat
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 01, 2014
kobonaire: true, so that's effectively polygamy on the DL ... legally married to one while maintaining common law marriage to another (others). It still proves that polygamy is illegal in he states.

That is BIGAMY. Bigamy is illegal EVERYWHERE in the world, if I'm not mistaken.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by kobonaire(m): 4:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
MissMeiya: I manage to do it in Nigeria. And so does everyone else on Nairaland. What's your excuse?
oya, I just burned some MB for that search .... there is NO current politician in the US that is polygamous.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by sailormoon: 4:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
EbolaGoingHam:

And i say..go back to the Kitchen, that's your natural habitat
I will if you go back to the sanatorium, deal?

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by KiKatanga: 4:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
BetaThings:
That is selfish!
Bad for you; bad for your fellow human being
enjoin him to be straight
Nothing good in being crooked

No thank you, are you not God-fearing? Do you not believe that Jesus said "Let he who is without Sin cast the first stone"? Do you think so little of God that he cannot judge and smite for himself?

If you claim to be Christian and wish to punish gays on God's behalf surely you are a hypocrite?

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by MiguelMi6(m): 4:10pm On Aug 01, 2014
BetaThings:
we are HAPPILY
barbaric
primitive
illiterate
etc

Leave us and go and join your like-minded fellows in the
US, UK and any of those countries
One way tickets and tear up that green passports
Lol,I ain't Nigerian,am Argentine.We are not primitive,barbaric or illiterate.We are humans who reason and live freely.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by standupguy(m): 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
Symphony007: It gives me great joy that there are still countries in africa with a judiciary that does it job without sentiments or personal feelings. No country on earth can have a constitution which protects fundamental human rights then go ahead to criminalize freedom of expression. It is ridiculous and no judiciary will stand for that. Nigeria should take note. Our supreme court must strike down ours if it gets to their desk. If our governments wants it's anti gay law to stand, then it should do a constitutional amendment were fundamental human rights is removed then a law like that can stand. But you can't claim to protect human rights and put people in jail for living their lives because you don't like how they do it. It's a mockery of constitutional democracy. You can't eat your cake and have it.

Bros polygamy and polyandry does not affect the state too. Na.??
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
[quote author=MiguelMi6][/quote]

I just shed a damn tear grin

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Paulv(m): 4:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
1Book: .. To hell with the supreme court & their paymaster (western word)....What is bad is bad, Goddamn it!...
wating no good no good.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by kobonaire(m): 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2014
MissMeiya: That is BIGAMY. Bigamy is illegal EVERYWHERE in the world, if I'm not mistaken.
of course all partners are in agreement. That's how the polygamous households in Utah live ... with that understanding.... you should watch 'big love' tongue
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2014
standupguy:

Bros polygamy and polyandry does not affect the state too. Na.??

It does. Financially.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2014
kobonaire: of course all partners are in agreement. That's how the polygamous households in Utah live ... with that understanding.... you should watch 'big love' tongue

You don't seem to know what bigamy is. It is not about agreement.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
dhammyg:
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FOREIGN AIDS.AFRICA HAS BIGGER PROBLEMS TO FACE THAN WASTING TIME ON GAYS WHO DO NOT HARM THE SOCIETY

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
kobonaire: oya, I just burned some MB for that search .... there is NO current politician in the US that is polygamous.

No "current" politician? I guess you found something.

Education is worth the money.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by MiguelMi6(m): 4:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

I just shed a damn tear grin
We got cray morons here.Good job dishing sense to them.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 01, 2014
EbolaGoingHam:

Go back to the kitchen...F.aggot
AND GO BACK TO UR CAVE AZZHOLE!!!!
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 01, 2014
I just read the Ugandan supreme court judgement again from a better source, and it's not yet good news for phaggots. It still remains an offence under colonial laws, and the technicality of the colonial-era laws is still valid.

Uganda anti-gay law declared 'null and void' by constitutional court

Judges strike down legislation on a technicality, but activists say homosexuality remains criminal offence under colonial-era laws

Gay rights activists in Uganda and around the world are celebrating a decision by the country's constitutional court to strike down a widely condemned anti-gay law on a legal technicality.

A panel of five judges ruled on Friday that the speaker of parliament acted illegally when she allowed a vote on the measure despite at least three objections that not enough MPs were in attendance.

"The speaker was obliged to ensure that there was quorum," the court said in its ruling. "We come to the conclusion that she acted illegally."

While celebrating the ruling, activists warned that homosexuality remains a criminal offence in the east African country under colonial-era laws.

The fiercely controversial statute represented a dramatic toughening of the penalties. It banned the "promotion of homosexuality" and enabled life sentences to be imposed for various same-sex acts, including touching in public or living in a same-sex marriage.

Barack Obama described the legislation as "a step backward for all Ugandans" and several donors suspended aid. But Uganda's president, Yoweri Museveni, signed it into law in February, watched by cheering crowds. Asked about homosexuality on CNN, he said: "They're disgusting. What sort of people are they? I never knew what they were doing. I've been told recently that what they do is terrible. Disgusting."

The challenge to the law was brought by 10 petitioners, including academics, journalists, both ruling and opposition MPs, human rights activists and rights groups. They claimed that it violated the constitutional right to privacy and dignity, as well as the right to be free from discrimination and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment.

Friday's ruling was made before a courtroom packed with Ugandans opposing or supporting the measure. Activists erupted in loud cheers after the court ruled the law "null and void".

Among those present was Frank Mugisha, director of Sexual Minorities Uganda."We welcome this ruling and Uganda's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community can celebrate a small victory against oppression," he said.

"However, we are disappointed that the case was not heard on its true merits. The truth is that, not only is the anti-homosexuality act persecutory, it is also unconstitutional and illegitimate. This law has no place in our society, which values dignity, privacy and equality for all our citizens. Until the act has been dismissed on the substance of our arguments, we cannot rest easy."

Ladislaus Rwakafuuzi, a lawyer representing the activists, said the ruling "upholds the rule of law and constitutionalism in Uganda".

Homophobia is widespread in the socially conservative country, where American evangelical Christian groups have been accused of fuelling prejudice. The legislation was seen as a political ploy by Museveni to shore up support before elections in 2016, which will be his 30th year in power.

The court's intervention allows him to blame others for its defeat while also placating western donors, who were reluctant to punish a military ally.

Outspoken anti-gay preacher Martin Ssempa had suggested that the petition was being pushed to mend Uganda's international reputation before Museveni travels to Washington next week to meet Obama at a landmark US-Africa summit. "There are efforts … to drum up a legal precedent to try to show [Washington] that, 'Hey, we are not that bad on homosexuality,'" Ssempa told Agence France-Presse this week.

Last month the US last month froze some aid programmes, as well as cancelling military air exercises and barring entry to the US for specific Ugandan officials involved in "human rights abuses", including against the gay community.

Rights groups claimed that the law led to a sharp increase in arrests and assaults on members of the gay and lesbian community. Its annulment was welcomed by the Human Dignity Trust, an organisation of international human rights lawyers challenging anti-gay laws across the world.

Jonathan Cooper, its chief executive, said: "It's a fantastic victory for the rule of law. That Uganda's gay and lesbian community has won a reprieve today from the oppression of the loathsome anti-homosexuality act, we can only celebrate.

"The brilliance and determination of the activists who have pursued this challenge serve as an inspiration to us all. It is also heartening to know that the rule of law has prevailed and politicians are shown not to be above the procedures that govern them."

Cooper warned: "However, this is but a temporary fix; the fight is far from over. The international community must seize this opportunity to support Ugandan's gay and lesbian citizens in their battle for the basic freedom from persecution. Now the act has gone, we must do all we can to stop it coming back. Uganda's constitution – which protects its citizens' rights to privacy and dignity – must be for all Ugandans."

Dr Paul Semugoma, a Ugandan gay rights activist based in South Africa, said: "I am over the moon. Very happy. But I am cautious. We have had legal victories before. It was struck down on a technicality. It may return.

"In Uganda, homophobia is such an inherent part of culture now that opportunistic politicians are likely to bring it back. They would pass it."

Sarah Jackson, deputy regional director of Amnesty International, said: "Even though Uganda's abominable anti-homosexuality act was scrapped on the basis of a technicality, it is a significant victory for Ugandan activists who have campaigned against this law.

"Since it was first being floated in 2009, these activists have often put their safety on the line to ensure that Ugandan law upholds human rights principles.

"We now hope that this step forward translates into real improvements in the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex people in Uganda, who have been trapped in a vicious circle of discrimination, threats, abuse and injustice for too long."

Kosiya Kasibayo, a state attorney, said a decision had not been made on whether to appeal against the ruling in the supreme court.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/01/uganda-anti-gay-law-null-and-void
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by oldenglish: 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
dhammyg: NICE.WHEN WILL NIGERIANS\AFRICANS LEARN THAT WHAT TWO ADULTS CHOOSE TO DO IN THEIR BEDROOM IS NONE OF THEIR BIZ.
WE AS AS AFRICANS HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS FACING US E.G CORRUPTION.IF WE COULD PERSECUTE CORRUPT POLITICIANS THE SAME WAY WE PERSECUTE GAYS AFRICA WILL BE A BETTER PLACEwink

AND BY THE WAY DO U THINK IMPRISONING GAYS WILL MAKE THEM CHANGEOR DO U THINK LYNCHING THEM WILL MAKE THEM CHANGE

AND TO THOSE SAYING BEING GAY IS UNAFRICAN AND USING BIBLE\QURAN TO JUSTIFY THE CLAIM,PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT CHRISTAINITY AND ISLAM IS ALSO UNAFRICAN tongue
what is the two adults are mother and son or father and daughter?
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
my people , Africans, why do we let ourselves get overwhelmed by emotions and get distracted by less important things while the most important things in life are steadily ignored? Why do we have to use emotions to act which in many cases lead us to more destruction than upliftment? why do we have to play religions (that were imposed on us by foreigners so much that we've been brainwashed) in all situations before we actually think of real life problems and little solutions that these problems require? Even the religions preach tolerance like the christian world which states that we should love one another and don't judge people as well as the muslim faith which states similar messages. Also, why do we think we are better than some people who choose to be foolish by engaging in anal carnal knowledge of one another or better, experimenting with their own personal bodies in grosteque manners that is becoming more popular around the world which makes majority of people wanna puke including myself.......(excuse me for that) but either ways, its their life and if they choose to build or destroy it as long as doesn't affect YOU, let them be. After all, none of us is perfect or clean of no dirty activities. Until we can learn to pry less into peoples' personal sh1t (which we blame westerners for of which we are the number offenders of the 'crime', there's no way we would move forward as a people. Until an African country can get its sh1t together and grow and develop, the black race will continue to be looked down upon around the world even at home because we look down on ourselves anyway. Please people, learn how to mind your fukking business and do what is right learn to be less emotional in judging or castigating people because they are of different opinions. If we as individuals can begin to make these likkle changes, then maybe some day, just someday, there would be less violent attacks on people for being of a different religions, tribes and we would move forward, then the black race would rise again. I hope i am not dreaming too far. We guys need to stop fukking hating on each other for dumb reasons still......

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by kobonaire(m): 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
MissMeiya: You don't seem to know what bigamy is. It is not about agreement.
no I was referring to "polygamy on the DL" and not bigamy ... calm down sister ... did you not drink your Starbucks this morning? grin
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by MarshRiley(m): 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
I hear a lot of people screaming human right......if your right to be a gay hinders my right not to deal with a gay,then there's no right anywhere,if your right to be a gay means you harrasing my kids that are not gays,then your right is invalid,I bet those clamouring for this law to be passed in nigeria are gay,well.......it won't happen
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
datbay: Meaning what?
Meaning western Pounds and Dollars are working in the Ugandan Court Room !!

Chaiiii, diarisGodu ooooo !
He's still coming back, though no one is talking to him. Back with more lengthy copy and paste. He must dominate this thread by force or by fire.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by wickyyolo: 4:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
Symphony007: It gives me great joy that there are still countries in africa with a judiciary that does it job without sentiments or personal feelings. No country on earth can have a constitution which protects fundamental human rights then go ahead to criminalize freedom of expression. It is ridiculous and no judiciary will stand for that. Nigeria should take note. Our supreme court must strike down ours if it gets to their desk. If our governments wants it's anti gay law to stand, then it should do a constitutional amendment were fundamental human rights is removed then a law like that can stand. But you can't claim to protect human rights and put people in jail for living their lives because you don't like how they do it. It's a mockery of constitutional democracy. You can't eat your cake and have it.
You're of your father. The devil.
Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by KiKatanga: 4:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
oldenglish: what is the two adults are mother and son or father and daughter?
Then they massively increase the risk creating a child with potentially debilitating birth defects whose disabilities are a burden on the state and who is the victim of the union.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 01, 2014
Muthaphuck phaggots - I went to naij last December and I was scared to even get a haircut, due to HIV. Exchanging body fluid with the chics was like a suicide mission - I had to get drunk before even going near any chic, despite how good they looked.

Now imagine allowing homos to run around with the epidemic, and turning that continent to South Africa x3. That means I'll never go back there till the end of time.

Phaggots, stay out of Africa with ya problems. A nyggah needs to go to the motherland and chill sometimes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply)

Putin Vows To Cut Gas Supply Tomorrow Unless Europe Pays In Roubles / General Seare Mekonnen Shot Dead In Ethiopia 'Coup Bid' Attacks / Israeli Airstrikes Pound Southern Gaza City Of Rafah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.