Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,035 members, 7,953,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:53 AM

Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups (28003 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Soups The Whole World Should Know And Love / Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / How To Prepare Edikaikong Soup With Saliva Inducing Pictures 4rm A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:09am On Aug 13, 2014
Greatomotoy: my wife must learn calabar soup. The food go make sense
what is there to learn?
Just give her enuff money to add other parts of the meat into the vegetable.
Kpomo, crayfish, chopped meat, etc and that's all.

The hypes us wot I dnt get...

2 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 4:15am On Aug 13, 2014
Calabar is the Destination.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Darteyyyy(m): 4:21am On Aug 13, 2014
Please someone should start a thread for guys that want to marry calabar girls.

These pictures are mouth watering.

#swallowsSaliva

5 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by gbaskiboy: 4:22am On Aug 13, 2014
DankemzI: Come to Akwa Ibom or Cross River & eat the best of soups ranging from Afang, Atama, Edikaikong, Afia Efere, Aditan & Ekpankukwo!
Proudly Akwa_Cross
Proudly Nigerian
Eyen_UYO cool
sai! Nyamio! Una no dey yoke with all dis kind of soup mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 4:28am On Aug 13, 2014
A friend brought me fresh ugu and water leaf from her garden
It is a big deal,I live in the USA,we don't see such here anyhow
So what else was there to make than edikaikong
I confess I had to watch youtube grin
Don't laugh
I had never made it before
Never cooked with water leaf in my life,I had to learn that it is also sliced and goes in before the ugu lol

It came out delicious with dried fish,beef tendons and beef
Oga still dey enjoy am

I am not a " swallow person" so I don't appreciate soups much

Btw,edikaikong is just vegetable soup really , with ugu and water leaf

3 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Rikidony(m): 4:34am On Aug 13, 2014
@op Wen ah was as an akwa ibomite. wen i was a kid i didnt really like Edikanikong soup. but as things are now i always enjoy that dishes especially wen Mum prepares it grin. but ma sure foods are AFANG. EKPANNKUKWO and EDKANIKONG grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by whitecat007: 4:40am On Aug 13, 2014
What's the difference between the pictures here and Efo Riro? Even in restaurants in the US, that's efo riro.

Mynd44: Someone needs to start an Edikaikong Vs Efo riri Thread grintongue

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Greatomotoy: 4:43am On Aug 13, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: what is there to learn?
Just give her enuff money to add other parts of the meat into the vegetable.
Kpomo, crayfish, chopped meat, etc and that's all.

The hypes us wot I dnt get...
is cooking that easy? She gots 2 learn the technique of combining the ingredients.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 4:43am On Aug 13, 2014
Sunnybobo3: I made this some days ago

This one na just simple spinach soup

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 4:45am On Aug 13, 2014
If I were a man,My wife or wives must come from cross river or akwaibom grin
No ifs or buts
The have the most loving,most beautiful women and the best cooks too
Men my grandpa's generation that married from that side only had one wife when their mates were marrying 3 and 4
And people will be saying na juju
No be juju o
They know how to treat men right I hear

4 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by whitecat007: 4:47am On Aug 13, 2014
You are right, Yoruba call this "Efo Riro" (stewed, stir fried or sauteed greens) and call the soup "obe"
Ashantiking:

This is not soup, this is stew.

Soup- a liquid dish, typically made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables, etc., in stock or water.

Stew- a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.
"lamb stew"
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by fightforchange1(f): 4:56am On Aug 13, 2014
tongue

*salivates*

this Friday marks the time when I'll be sampling afro food.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:37am On Aug 13, 2014
Rossikk: Nigeria's beloved concoction of juicy green vegetables, native spices, meat and dried fish remains the grandest of the nation's dishes.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-B1rmfyciU-A/UhKyhUocQBI/AAAAAAAABVA/WZTJdqmNYEU/s1600/EDIKANG_IKONG.jpg[/img]

This soup isnt better than Onugbu soup cooked by an Anambra woman nor Nsala soup prepared by Asaba woman. Abeg,celebrate your food but dont say its the best.
Go to Bini,Lagos,Kano,Abuja,Jos and all the major towns in Nigeria Igbo restaurant rule indisputably. Nobi mouth,your food is popular in your hood but outside you no fit collect silver.
Even when it comes to national dishes like Okoro,Igbo woman will use ogbono to slam the taste enter your nostrils. Egusi nko,look at an Egusi that is prepared by an Igbo and tell me you dont see the difference. I have to be honest Ekoi women can cook no doubt but trying to crown then the best is share Ojoro.

5 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:41am On Aug 13, 2014
babyosisi: If I were a man,My wife or wives must come from cross river or akwaibom grin
No ifs or buts
The have the most loving,most beautiful women and the best cooks too
Men my grandpa's generation that married from that side only had one wife when their mets were marrying 3 and 4
And people will be saying na juju
No be juju o
They know how to treat men right I hear

Their woman are very loving and caring but here we are talking about food,madam Osisi.
Cant you cook?
Can a Calabar woman out cook you?
If you nobi Anambra woman then you are forgiven.
But if you are then I am ashamed of you!

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:44am On Aug 13, 2014
babyosisi:

This one na just simple spinach soup

I cant eat that thing....looks gross.
My Ogbono-Okwulu soup with Semovita is of the chain...nobi mouth.
My wife hates the fact that I know my way around the kitchen....lol
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 5:51am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: eforiro
hands down angry
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 6:04am On Aug 13, 2014
One of the reasons that make me pray to God for an Akwa ibom or cross river wife

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Lucasbalo(m): 6:13am On Aug 13, 2014
ChristyG: Definately one of nigeria best,but i still prefer efo riro,especially with pounded yam,no food can top that(my own opinion)
You are damn right. Efo Riro on top of my brown rice any time and any day. Am not much of a solid food guy.

2 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by ideepaul: 6:18am On Aug 13, 2014
This is the most expensive and most difficult food to prepare in akwa ibom and cross river(can take more than 10000 for a family of more than 5)I am talking out of personal experience, 60 percent of people saying that they have eaten this soup don't know they ate Nkong soup(a soup with the same ingredients:fresh pumpkin leaves and water leaf, but easier preparation technique)... please nkong and edikanikong are not d same,its like comparing a self-contained with a duplex
just pray someone cooks this for you one day..your life won't be the same again.(maybe that is why corpers don't like returning home after service)
PROUDLY AN AKWA IBOM SON

5 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Howmanage: 6:50am On Aug 13, 2014
Team #eforiro! Edi kaingkong is overrated. I prefer Efo Riro or Afang

2 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by poiZon: 6:56am On Aug 13, 2014
DankemzI: Come to Akwa Ibom or Cross River & eat the best of soups ranging from Afang, Atama, Edikaikong, Afia Efere, Aditan & Ekpankukwo!
Proudly Akwa_Cross
Proudly Nigerian
Eyen_UYO cool

BETA pikin.
u rep well.
team nDITO AKWA-CROSS
LIKE IF U FROM akwA-crosS.

3 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by poiZon: 7:00am On Aug 13, 2014
Greatomotoy: my wife must learn calabar soup. The food go make sense

Are u kiddng me?
go mek sense' bros the soup na final!
na dis kind soup dem fit put for table take negotiate with shekau d next minute our girls go arrive.

2 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by ideology(m): 7:04am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: This is Nigeria
We call it soup
So, your definitions cannot work here
Her definition is correct, but She doesn't know how it was prepared, if she does, she will know its soup.

She is seeing more vegetables and no water, that's why She calls it stew
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by fightforchange1(f): 7:05am On Aug 13, 2014
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by pazienza(m): 7:05am On Aug 13, 2014
Proudly Akwa_Cross
Proudly Nigerian
Eyen_UYO cool

Does Kukwo mean soup in Ibibio/Annang/Efik?
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by ideology(m): 7:07am On Aug 13, 2014
Howmanage: Team #eforiro! Edi kaingkong is overrated. I prefer Efo Riro or Afang

Afang is good, but when The leaves ferment, it doesn't taste too good, besides the nutritional value of edikan ikong is higher,

#no scientific proofs, just guessing grin

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by ideology(m): 7:09am On Aug 13, 2014
pazienza:

Does Kukwo mean soup in Ibibio/Annang/Efik?

Its probably the name of one of the leaves used, besides the right spelling is nkukwo
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by pazienza(m): 7:14am On Aug 13, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

I cant eat that thing....looks gross.
My Ogbono-Okwulu soup with Semovita is of the chain...nobi mouth.
My wife hates the fact that I know my way around the kitchen....lol

I use to say the same thing like you just said. That calabar soup doesn't look appetizing to the eye, but wait till you have a taste of a well prepared one,you would understand that the soup is as good as people say it is.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by pazienza(m): 7:20am On Aug 13, 2014
ideology:

Its probably the name of one of the leaves used, besides the right spelling is nkukwo

Ok. I was interested because in Azumini, an Ndoki Igbo town in Abia, sharing a boundary with Akwa ibom tribes, they call soup 'kwukwo' rather than Ofe/Ohe, that most Igbo speaking tribes use. I was wondering if they borrowed the kwukwo thing from their Akwa ibom neighbours. So, seeing EkpanKUKWO, the 'kukwo' there got my attention.

Many Azumini people married wives from Akwa ibom in the past, perhaps that's how the 'kwukwo' thing found it's way into their vocabulary, replacing Ofe/Ohe, in the process.

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by lalasticlala(m): 7:25am On Aug 13, 2014
my best soup, edikaikong & afang
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by pazienza(m): 7:29am On Aug 13, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

This soup isnt better than Onugbu soup cooked by an Anambra woman nor Nsala soup prepared by Asaba woman. Abeg,celebrate your food but dont say its the best.
Go to Bini,Lagos,Kano,Abuja,Jos and all the major towns in Nigeria Igbo restaurant rule indisputably. Nobi mouth,your food is popular in your hood but outside you no fit collect silver.
Even when it comes to national dishes like Okoro,Igbo woman will use ogbono to slam the taste enter your nostrils. Egusi nko,look at an Egusi that is prepared by an Igbo and tell me you dont see the difference. I have to be honest Ekoi women can cook no doubt but trying to crown then the best is share Ojoro.

Chai! Nwanne nwelunu ya nwayor, Akwa ibom people are our good neighbours, no need for this nah, if you are not comfortable with the content of this thread,just 'stylishly' avoid the thread. And btw, the Edikaikong is cool, it's common in Aba,i tasted it there, and it was great. When you visit Aba or Akwa cross, try to taste one without any bias,i promise you, you would like the soup.

8 Likes

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 13, 2014
Adesiji77: Efo riro....confusing men since 1859 cheesy
lol!! Efo riro turning Men to Mumu since 1800!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Many MUDU Are There In A PAINT Bucket / How To Prepare Soyabeans / Beware Of Reddish Palm Oil, NAFDAC Warns Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.