Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Why Are You An Atheist? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You An Atheist? (14562 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Zeus777: 1:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Infact, i once told someone that religion ( in any form) is the greatest disservice to the god idea. Recently, i saw some ISIS beheading- pictures and i couldnt help wondering how people could think they are doing a god's work by cutting helpless peoples' neck with knives and swords...and the supposed god sits quietly upon a golden throne with a diamond-studded gilded crown upon his head in heaven , waiting patiently for the judgement day to send more of his 'enemies' who did not practice his 'chosen' faith into hell. aaarghhhh!...its all so ridiculous.
u are brilliant
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Zeus777: 1:18pm On Aug 14, 2014
paulcr7: If u believe that God can create d world with all its complexity,why cant he perform that miracle
what miracle? That me as a carpenter while on my way back from work got to learn that an "Holy Spirit " had impregnated my wife? What hapened to my own own sperm and dick

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2014
Weah96:

With Yahweh and Jesus, the bible can be used as a means to dismiss them easily. In the book of genesis, for example, Yahweh creates light BEFORE he even bothers to create suns/stars. Even plants are created before our own star. On earth, plants require light from our star to carry on photosynthesis. What is Yahweh's excuse for telling lies, when he claims in other parts of the same bible that he doesn't? NONE. The only logical answer is that an ordinary man created the fiction, and that those two idiots are imaginary.
go and read Revelation 22:5
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by hungryboy(m): 1:46pm On Aug 14, 2014
Its the day i realised that i feed myself, i pay my rent, i pay my hospital bills, i even found myself a job,
Then i asked myself,
What Good is God?

15 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2014
Zeus777: what miracle? That me as a carpenter while on my way back from work got to learn that an "Holy Spirit " had impregnated my wife? What hapened to my own own sperm and dick
i think ur question is why could nt joseph be d one to impregnate mary(correct me if i am wrong).1.for Christ to save us,he must be divine because man cannot save himself of his own sin and sinfulness.2.death is d penalty of sin and a divine being cannot.3.Christ had to be a man and d law of redemption in lev shows that Christ has to be our brother to redeem us.The birth of Jesus was a union of d divine and the human.5.He had to be born of the holyspirit because without d divine spirit no one can live a perfect life which is a requirement for redemption
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2014
nnofaith: Lol! You are trying to sell Jesus to a hard core atheist, what are you, a five year old?
please tell me you are playing! I thought you were going to introduce me to some exotic religion and here you are talking to me about Jesus. What do you think you can tell me about Jesus that I don't already know.
i guess u dont know d purpose of religion..and by the way,i am nt selling Jesus,am only presenting his message,which i believe and know to be the truth
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

@Evangelist paulcr7 how are you? I can see you are really striving to convert the atheists on this thread...hmmm! well i wish you luck sha!
You must know that for you to have any success at your mission, you need to be more logical in your submissions. As of now, most of your responses are not products of logical reasoning nor are they epitomes of a well educated mind!
I will implore you to read a bit more books outside of that book of fables you guys love to carry around called the bible; look for or browse excerpts of " the age of reason by Thomas Paine ". It may do you a lot of good.
1.point of any logical faults you have found.2.tell me if the statement u just made is logical or a product of a well educated mind.3.tell me how thomas paine has impacted ur reasoning capacity

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 2:21pm On Aug 14, 2014
Zeus777: have u had to read any Buddhist script ??! It's more philosophical than this ur Jesus repugnant shit..,, ask ur dogmatic brain y Christianity has so killed more humans in history far the sake of their religion more than Hinduism , bhudism, yorubaism and amadiora!!!
Tell me, how many people did Christ kill.If someone took ur clothes without ur awareness and went to steal with it,if by d next day u passed through the same area with the same clothes and they took stones to kill you.what will u do?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Ifunanya1(f): 2:56pm On Aug 14, 2014
As most children tend to be I was obedient and reliant on whatever my caretakers said or advised. So, throughout my childhood I followed instructions and did as I was told - as far as singing in church, clapping, praying, reading my bible as well as complementary guides and books. However, I could never say I ever truly believed. As soon as I was old enough to be curious enough to ask questions I started to distance myself from religion. It was an easy transition for me. So - in short, why am I an atheist? Because I started to think... you know, for myself.

I mostly wanted to reply to say that those of you that are claiming to be atheists due to anger are doing yourself an injustice. It's not rational to say you don't believe because most ideas of what a 'God' is happens to be unfair. You're dealing with the truth of life in an unproductive way. Life in general is unfair. People suffer with or without a god. People are wicked with or without a god. Poverty exists with or without a god. Diseases, war, corruption, immorality, etc. exist with or without a god. Your reason for atheism cannot be based on anger due to consequences of the human condition. Also, I've found having angry reasoning also makes for terrible, hateful, demeaning, condescending atheists. That's the last thing any of us should be, especially when we're under so much scrutiny.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 3:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
paulcr7: go and read Revelation 22:5

Why? So I can see how plants on earth can survive without sunlight? Or how there is light without stars? Why rely on fiction when reality is staring you in the face? That's the definition of delusion you know. You're eating foods that come from plants everyday, and using the caloric energy from that food to talk rubbish.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Sennard(m): 3:23pm On Aug 14, 2014
Hmm.from the comments i've read.i want to bring out somethings.
These atheists heart are sealed and there is nothing you can tell them they will never believe you.they can twist things to favour their own points, it is only the divine intervention of God that can help.
Some are saying they have not seen the reason to believe in God..he did not answer their prayers blah blah blah.believing in God is a personal thing,you dont need anybody to tell you to believe in God.i believed in God because i know he exists and no matter what people say it can never change my belief,judging from somebody's comment he said ''God has never done something for him''. I know the things that has happened in my life and i know how God's presence has helped me.
God is far far wiser than we human, so he will never because of some group of people do things.do you know the number of people that came to earth and gone?.and we are not the last that will come oh!. we cannot test God .can you? Read the book of eccleciates well it's there that there is time for every damn thing in this world so why on earth will God alter things .if you like you can say God is this God is that.He is a great king as far as i'am concerned.
They claim they don't believe in deities and dieties don't exist....lol see ehn ''if you want to test for deities and gods just go to ondo and steal something from whatever gods u are not supposed to steal from if the god will not haunt you down. Just try it.
The fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom.the words of God is light. We are all given brain to choose so it depends on you.if you choose to serve yourself nobody will kill you,if you choose to serve stone you are free and if you choose to serve nothing ride on!. Things that will happen tomorrow no one knows but we are going to be accountable for things we do individualy .nobody can stand for you.but ''for God so LOVE the WORLD that he gave his only SON that whosoever BELIEVETH in him SHALL Not perish but have but have EVERLASTING life.nobody is a christian,muslim,atheist......from birth it is CHOICE made by people depending on the circumstances. JESUS LOVES Ya!

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Ifunanya1(f): 3:36pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sennard: Hmm.from the comments i've read.i want to bring out somethings.
These atheists heart are sealed and there is nothing you can tell them they will never believe you.they can twist things to favour their own points, it is only the divine intervention of God that can help.
Some are saying they have not seen the reason to believe in God..he did not answer their prayers blah blah blah.believing in God is a personal thing,you dont need anybody to tell you to believe in God.i believed in God because i know he exists and no matter what people say it can never change my belief,judging from somebody's comment he said ''God has never done something for him''. I know the things that has happened in my life and i know how God's presence has helped me.
God is far far wiser than we human, so he will never because of some group of people do things.do you know the number of people that came to earth and gone?.and we are not the last that will come oh!. we cannot test God .can you? Read the book of eccleciates well it's there that there is time for every damn thing in this world so why on earth will God alter things .if you like you can say God is this God is that.He is a great king as far as i'am concerned.
They claim they don't believe in deities and dieties don't exist....lol see ehn ''if you want to test for deities and gods just go to ondo and steal something from whatever gods u are not supposed to steal from if the god will not haunt you down. Just try it.
The fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom.the words of God is light. We are all given brain to choose so it depends on you.if you choose to serve yourself nobody will kill you,if you choose to serve stone you are free and if you choose to serve nothing ride on!. Things that will happen tomorrow no one knows but we are going to be accountable for things we do individualy .nobody can stand for you.but ''for God so LOVE the WORLD that he gave his only SON that whosoever BELIEVETH in him SHALL Not perish but have but have EVERLASTING life.nobody is a christian,muslim,atheist......from birth it is CHOICE made by people depending on the circumstances. JESUS LOVES Ya!

Nobody asked you all this though. Unwanted input.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 3:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sennard: I know the things that has happened in my life and i know how God's presence has helped me.

So the presence of your God, who I'm guessing is different from boko haram's God, assisted you in overcoming your difficulties? Great. Now look at the bigger picture. Everything you 've gone through was meticulously designed by your God. There was no presence, just you carrying out the role for which you were programmed. He also programmed the Ebola virus to appear again at this particular time, as well as every atrocity you know or will hear about.
If that's what you choose to believe, as a rational person, go ahead. I've resigned myself to the fact that some people cannot understand logic. My grandmother is an example, and for those people, a God is required.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2014
I became an atheist when i got tired of the religious mumbo jumbo. Every religion claimed that every other person not worshipping thier deity will go to hell. Pretty sick

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 5:02pm On Aug 14, 2014
paulcr7: If u want to know what Christianity should be,study d bible urself with an open heart.

"Open your heart" really means "shut off your brain".

11 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 5:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sennard:
These atheists heart are sealed and there is nothing you can tell them they will never believe you.

Let me assure you that I could be convinced that god exists, I just require rational, empirical, scientifically testable evidence. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, and all the others, have exactly zero evidence for any god.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
onetrack:

"Open your heart" really means "shut off your brain".

Word!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by plaetton: 5:39pm On Aug 14, 2014
DeepSight:

Screaming "Oh God" is actually a mere exclamation and means nothing. People who do not believe in Christ use the phrase "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation all the time. As such your argument does not stand.

However if you simply mean to indicate that in the most extreme of circumstances, supposed atheists will turn to God, then yes, perhaps, for some supposed atheists, you have a point.
If my child was dying in my arms with no hope of medical cure, I would pray to god, to Satan, to FSM, to any invisible fairy that promises or pretends to offer a miracle.
That is just basic human nature, and it very well explains not only the origins of religious beliefs, but also what sustains it even in the age of science and reason.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:56pm On Aug 14, 2014
Most comment here indicate some who claim to be an atheist are simply irreligious.

Some are just confused. How can mere thinking makes someone an atheist? Does this mean the religious one do not have brain to think? Majority of atheist here should be tag as 'hateist'. They simply hate the word God; a word they cant define or know close to nothing about.

Maybe I need to watch from the sideline, a real atheist might come and tell us how he/she becomes an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
mazaje:
Yes I am an atheist. . Atheism to me is simply disbelief in the existence of dieties and gods. .

Oga

What is gods and deities?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Sennard(m): 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2014
onetrack:

Let me assure you that I could be convinced that god exists, I just require rational, empirical, scientifically testable evidence. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, and all the others, have exactly zero evidence for any god.

bro! Even if the earth divides and u hear thunder claps i am v.v.sure u are going to say it's no God's work.....now i really understand what you want...
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
onetrack: No evidence of any particular god. Didn't believe the stories I was told.

Mr

Lets put the story you were told aside. Can you tell us what God is? And how this God does not exist?

Actually, there has been evidence of god everywhere. Evidence of different gods and goddess. But I will like to know who you think God is and how that being do not exist.

Thanks
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 6:18pm On Aug 14, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Oga

What is gods and deities?

Supernatural beings that are said to have created the universe but live outside our realm. . .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Sennard(m): 6:20pm On Aug 14, 2014
Weah96:

So the presence of your God, who I'm guessing is different from boko haram's God, assisted you in overcoming your difficulties? Great. Now look at the bigger picture. Everything you 've gone through was meticulously designed by your God. There was no presence, just you carrying out the role for which you were programmed. He also programmed the Ebola virus to appear again at this particular time, as well as every atrocity you know or will hear about.
If that's what you choose to believe, as a rational person, go ahead. I've resigned myself to the fact that some people cannot understand logic. My grandmother is an example, and for those people, a God is required.
bro,you don't believe in God that means you're not interested in things that has to do with him.let me make something clear to you though i've said before but i'll stil repeat it.God is not human that creates things over and over again he's perfect he has created once and not going to create again he created human and we replicate and other things too.so just like your mother gave birth to you can she add or remove any organ from you? U can get injured.does that mean it is your mother injured you.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Sennard(m): 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2014
Weah96:

bro,you don't believe in God that means you're not interested in things that has to do with him.let me make something clear to you though i've said before but i am going to repeat it.God is not human that creates things over and over again he's perfect he has created once and not going to create again he created human and we replicate and other things too.so just like your mother gave birth to you can she add or remove any organ from you? U can get injured.does that mean it is your mother that injured you?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Sennard(m): 6:25pm On Aug 14, 2014
Ifunanya1:

Nobody asked you all this though. Unwanted input.
you have used the word Unwanted ''truth''
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by cold(m): 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
For the simple reason that there's not a shred of proof that a god exists. All gods and their accompanying religions are man made. It's as simple as that.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 6:28pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sennard:
bro! Even if the earth divides and u hear thunder claps i am v.v.sure u are going to say it's no God's work.....now i really understand what you want...

Of course not. Is that even a possible evidence of someone who can do ANYTHING? Be serious. God is talking to you, well, I've got ears myself. How come he keeps his mouth close when others are investigating?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2014
mazaje:

Supernatural beings that are said to have created the universe but live outside our realm. . .

You know what bro. . . . .

You definition seem fictitional to me too. Appears like something you created out of your head just to DISBELIEVE IN.

I dont know so I will ask, what/who are Supernatural beings?

Who told you those beings you termed as God created the Universe?

Living outside the universe sound like deistic view. . . .is the word God only applicable to Deism?

Does this mean you only disbelieve in Deistic conception of God?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
FOLYKAZE: Most comment here indicate some who claim to be an atheist are simply irreligious.

Some are just confused. How can mere thinking makes someone an atheist? Does this mean the religious one do not have brain to think? Majority of atheist here should be tag as 'hateist'. They simply hate the word God; a word they cant define or know close to nothing about.

Maybe I need to watch from the sideline, a real atheist might come and tell us how he/she becomes an atheist.

You have gone "bolaino"

9 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 6:38pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sennard:
bro,you don't believe in God that means you're not interested in things that has to do with him.let me make something clear to you though i've said before but i am going to repeat it.God is not human that creates things over and over again he's perfect he has created once and not going to create again he created human and we replicate and other things too.so just like your mother gave birth to you can she add or remove any organ from you? U can get injured.does that mean it is your mother that injured you?

Garbage!! Use your brain, sir. This is a foolish analogy. My mother is not omnipotent and omniscient, like the description of the biblical God. She didn't create ALL things in the universe. An omniscient person who creates all things has essentially thrown free will out the window. Everything operates according to plan. Children are r)aped because he programmed the r)apist. He also programmed Boko Haram to murder Christians. Everything, down to the smallest evil detail, was designed to operate perfectly as you see today.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

You have gone "bolaino"

Guy no look for my trouble abeg.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Help Me Calculate My Tithe / We Humans Are Making The World A Sick Place, Yet We Blame God / Comforting Scriptures For All Relationship Crises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.